Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lol way to move the goalpost from "good at cooking" to "solve world hunger right now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Fearing AI destroying humanity in some tech singularity is just an updated version of the nine billion names of God

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's a good prank

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Health Dept. Reports are public knowledge so you don't exactly need a self maintained spreadsheet

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm pretty sure getting super high and falling asleep in front of Comedy Central infomercials has programmed me to someday become an alpaca farmer

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
did you just call his son an idiot

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
where do you live that pasta bolognese isn't on any menu

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I did an entree for a while that was pork ribs, cole slaw and potato salad, the potato salad was new potatoes tossed with housemade whole grain mustard (1 part mustard seeds, 1 part vinegar, 1 part white wine, soak 3 days or until seeds are plump and absorb most of the liquid, blend roughly in Vitamix until about half the seeds are cracked), good evoo, parsley, chives, salt and pepper, and we'd regularly get told it was the best potato salad the customer had ever had.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Cryo pork is always nasty right when you open it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

dino. posted:

A goon from this forum texted me to ask for cooking advice, and I’m walking on the clouds now. To think that someone thinks so highly of me that they want my help? I am humbled. It feels so nice. I love y’all very much. Xoxo

didn't you like, write a cookbook that people buy

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Let the man beam!

You’re a killer chef, but I’d hope you still feel joy when I tell you I had a super bomb dinner last Wednesday at your spot (bread, oysters, scallops, roasted carrots, Caesar salad, and hanger steak). It was so good dude. Literally my only nitpick is the fried polenta with the scallops was like a mm too thick. The drat potatoes with the steak were otherworldly. Who feels nice now? Yea that’s what I thought punk.

That was a deep fried Chinese dim sum daikon cake

Also I saw you right when you left and was gonna come out and say hi and also told your server to tell me when cool people come in.

Also I wasn't making a dig at dino at all I just chuckled at the thought of a successful cookbook author being tickled that someone wanted his cooking advice

~namaste~

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Shameless self plug:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2011/04/top-this-thomas-hill-organics-carrot-pizza-how-to-make-carrot-pizza.html

Those are my hands and the back of my head!

I created that pizza after someone asked if we had vegan cheese and I was like "is that even a real thing?" I later learned that it was technically a real thing but I challenged myself to make a vegan pizza without fake bullshit that was also good.

Fun story: I had a pretty good beard going and the owner told me she wanted me to shave it before the article/photoshoot. I told her if she made me shave I was going to give myself a grotesque handlebar mustache. She said "no you wont." I said "bet?"

And that's why there are no pictures of my face in the article.

Also fun fact: I ran the pizza oven 5 days, whole place closed 1 day a week, and on the 7th day they used the prep from that pizza to make vegan tacos because they didn't staff or train anyone else to make pizzas. Seven years after I was fired they opened a new location down the street from my current job. Opening menu had vegan carrot and black lentil tacos.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 15, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I loving hate food and drink competitions, honestly.

They either list rules and then don't do anything to people who don't follow the rules, or don't list rules and arbitrarily do poo poo like that. The judges are always either random idiots or local industry people who arent impartial.

My work just entered a cocktail competition that said it had to be all locally sourced ingredients (we have like 5 or 6 local distilleries), made our own bitters and poo poo and then the winner was a drink that had an amaro from Italy in it.

I entered another cocktail contest one time that said it was supposed to showcase the "chemistry" of cocktails and we were one of the only teams who made any of our ingredients at all, the winner at that one was some stupid layered beverage because density.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't.. what.. uh..

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
There's a place in my town that does sushi nachos: fried wonton chips, diced ahi, cucumber, avocado, spicy Kewpie, pickled onions, and furikake or sesame seeds or something. They're pretty tasty but they turn into a soggy pile pretty fast

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I haven't read the noma guide to fermentation but pretty sure you want all of your veg under the liquid and as little headspace (air) in each jars aspossible, even with an airlock.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Wiggles just has an irrational vendetta against Costco

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Fuckin detective Pikachu

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The flavor Bible is dope but I reccomend it judiciously because it's a tool that is easy to misuse.

I pick up a really upsetting cookbook about sandwiches every so often and it never fails to entertain me

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's been literally years since I cut myself on a mandoline and I use one almost daily... What the hell are you guys doing with your mandolines?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Link for racism?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Charcuterie check. Two of the first lomos case hardened like crazy so they got tossed. But this guanciale came out loving fantastic

If the only issue is hardening, you can vacuum seal for a couple months and moisture will equalize

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I had some duck prosciutto that got forgotten in a corner and I thought it was toast but 2 months in vac made it right as rain. Pretty miraculous

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

I love chilis in general but jalapeños are the worst tasting one
except green bell peppers which I don't count because I don't consider them food

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

Hey GWS: I’ve got a whole pork tenderloin defrosting in the fridge, the gently caress should I do with it?

The way you're saying "a whole pork tenderloin" confuses me, usually they are 1-2 pounds... I'd just season it with salt and a spice rub, get a pan hot and sear it all the way around, then finish in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes until the center temps 125F, then rest it for 8 mins under foil.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think that it's safe to assume domestic producers of fake parmesan will keep their product at the 25% less (or whatever it costs) compared to real parm when the price goes up

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Wanna mail me some?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I can't imagine a chip that is large enough to need repair but small enough to call a chip

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Frozen whole cranberries, oranges, ginger, jalapeno, shallot, cilantro through a meat grinder, add sugar salt and a lot of black pepper. Awesome fresh cranberry chutney.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My sister potato peelered her thumb and we've talked about it every year since

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Make a Waldorf salad and add the canned chicken to it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Have you tried crushing and snorting the pills

You can't do that anymore, they're full of these weird plastic beads now

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm sorry to hear about you being single, I hope it's not because he passed or anything

Widow doesn't mean "single," comrade

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

Welcome back! May I recommend An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler? I picked it up after she got Twitter roasted for having a custom forged https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/dining/alice-waters-egg-spoon-me-too-movement.amp.html given to her by Alice waters.

It’s a phenomenal read, and the philosophy is very simple but elegant. I think it might be exactly where you’re headed.

Is it possible to criticize a silly overpriced gadget without being sexist? NY Times says no. I'll bet if you searched hard enough you could even find an NYT piece about how silly it is to buy a $300 immersion circulator without any mention of gender.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My egg laser would like a word

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All the other food also comes on refrigerated trucks though

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm just amused that Imperfect Foods is a thing.

We always had a deal at the bakery to buy a local orchard's b-grade apples for the stuff we needed fresh apples for, as they were better quality for the price than shipping stuff in. I know they sold the stuff below that grade off to local pig farmers and a cider maker.

I'm confused by your amusement, your intended use is literally what that service does, as a brokerage that doesn't involve direct contact to dozens of individual vendors just like normal produce companies work.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It's nothing new. It's a startup doing the 'what if we have a really good ad campaign for something that already exists and charge a premium'.

I've never examined their sales model, are they actually charging a premium for what they advertise as undesirable produce?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I tried adding anchovies to pasta e olio and it did not go well. The anchovies never really completed melted so the oil was very lumpy and a gross brown. The anchovie taste was overpowering. I used one tin. I’m not sure if I used too much or didn’t let it cook long enough or what but I ended up throwing the plate away heating up some canned pasta sauce and using the rest of the noodles like that.

Use less and also finely chop and lightly fry them in oil first too, maybe with a lil minced garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We have mauviels at my new job, the handles are plain and fine