Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Was at a wedding in a somewhat posh hotel in Madison, right near the capital. The bigger ballroom next to the wedding was also rented out for a wedding, but it was full of douchebags in ballgowns and tuxes. They were being right bitches to people from the wedding we attended, which was a young couple that's been together since high school. So we decide to go crash their full open bar, which was lovely. They had a 3-piece string ensemble playing and no one looked like they were having fun...

Little did we know that our friends had hired the UW-Madison marching band to lead the wedding party procession into the hall and then play for a good 20 minutes while the wedding party danced. I was glad we had seats next to the door so we could watch a string of uptight dudes in tuxes run over and cuss out whoever they could find from the hotel.

Another wedding I was at took place on Halloween in a cemetery, followed by a costume party rave. It was not nearly as exciting as it sounded though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

:negative: I am so glad I don't have to survive off of what I shoot, because I'd be eating acorns tonight. So many turkey hunters out. Saw three squirrels in 9 hours and only one was close enough in to even attempt a shot.

At least it was beautiful out. Partly sunny and a high of 59F. Great day to be in the woods. :)

Is that why I've been seeing turkeys running around in the city for the last couple weeks??

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Toast posted:

re:wiki: For those who asked why I went on a deleting spree someone asked for me to delete his recipes from the wiki. Not another spam attack or anything.

I went right to that recipe to see if it was the one I figured, and it was! About drat time, that thing was terrible.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

hoboerotic posted:

There was a little girl in south america who survived it once, but I believe that was a different strain of rabies that's less deadly.

I don't know whether that's true or not, but Jeanna Giese is the first human to have survived rabies without a vaccine before or after infection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_protocol

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Today I yelled at a "friend" on Facebook who has turned into a crazy militant vegan and posted something to the effect of "Stop saying you're an animal lover if you still eat animals!!!" I can't give you the exact quote anymore because I unfriended that annoying bitch tout de suite but it sure was satisfying.

for clarity: dino you're an awesome vegan, this person liked to tell everyone else how horrible they were for not making the same life choices they did

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

If this was cheaper I'd totally buy it as a joke. And then everyone would think I just made it myself.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

Wisconsin owns. I just need to find some 15 year cheddar.

Don't forget the Pleasant Ridge Reserve!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The cherry Belgian ale is my favorite, it's the one Serendipity (temporarily) replaced this season.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

I just found a dairy farm in NC that sells 12-oz packages of cheese curds so I impulsively purchased two packages.

Now, uh, what do I do with them?? haaaalllp

Eat them. Now, while they're still squeaky. Once they're not, then bread and deep fry. That is the Wisconsin way.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

We've already hit peak bloody

Ugh, no. They use a lovely bottled mix. It's not about the drink, it's about how much over-the-top poo poo they can cram on top. There are far better places to get bloodies in MKE (it's a great bloody town). Plus it doesn't help that the owner of that place is an rear end in a top hat.

Also: :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Vegetable Melange posted:

2 large cans peeled tomatoes, Italian style with basil
8oz lime juice
4oz Worcester
3 chipotles in adobo
4 cloves garlic
Handful celery salt
Handful kosher
Generous fresh cracked pepper
Grated horseradish (fresh) to taste

Blend, strain through a sieve. Makes about 2.5 quarts, goes brilliantly with tequila or Mezcal.

Sounds close to mine, except for the chipotle.

I do Sacramento tomato juice, then heavy dashes of worcestershire, heavy lemon or lime, heavy celery salt. Then black pepper, old bay, pickle (or caper) brine, bit of horseradish, El Yucateco hot sauce.

Also good: Cajun seasoning, soy, fish sauce

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Even when you go to a restaurant that makes their own bloody mary mix, its just canned diced tomatoes. I worked at a place that had "the best bloody mary in Austin" and it was just YAYSYSCO canned diced tomatoes, worcestershire, salt, pepper, and some other poo poo I can't remember. Point being, YAYSYSCO.

Some are, some aren't. I think Milwaukee takes its bloodies pretty seriously. I have yet to meet a bottled mix I like, but some bars have homemade mixes that are just outstanding around here. And they're thick like Sacramento tomato juice, not that thin, translucent juice that a lot of bottled mixes are made with.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ahhh Wisconsin. Where it's legal for a child to drink at a bar as long as your parents by it for you and your first DUI is only a misdemeanor.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sacramento tomato juice or bust. Nice and thick with a good acid/sweet balance.

Then add lime or lemon juice, celery salt, worcestershire, old bay, black pepper, horseradish, pickle juice, hot sauce.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

No Wave posted:

Realistically though this offends me the most for burgers. Not because I like burgers all that much, but because the first place people go is always either a.) jalapenos or b.) eggs and both are so completely off-base that I do not even understand how they are evaluating their dishes. Why would you put spice on a relatively bland dish, and why would you put runny fat on a pile of fatty meat with runny fat on top?

Eggs on burgers are delicious. Do you like bacon on burgers? Why does that make sense? That's just greasy meat on more greasy meat. Or cheese, even. That's just fat on top of fat, right? Also burgers shouldn't be "relatively bland" to begin with. And jalapenos, especially pickled, can help cut through a fatty burger quite well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have no idea what you're trying to say in any of this.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oh no. I'm sorry, dino. :(

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I should probably just ask my question in the quick/dumb thread, I always forget about that thing. Nothing to see here...

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 20, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Good pimento cheese is amazing on a smashburg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Avocado on burgs is good. Way better than mayo on burgs.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

copen posted:

I'm sorry about your wrong opinions.

I'm sorry you're broken

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Steve Yun posted:

During sex-ed my middle school science teacher told us about stupid myths and told us about how when she was in college one of the girls in her sorority would put yogurt in her cooter to cure a yeast infection. She was never sure why but now that I think about it, that girl probably heard that vaccines contained a little of whatever germ you're vaccinating yourself against and probably heard yogurt contained the "good" bacteria and put 2 and 2 together.

(Which is still mixing up the difference between yeast and bacteria)

That is actually a thing. Acidophilus affects the yeast, or something.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

phthalocyanine posted:

Re: yeast infections and probiotics, it is recommended by the CDC to take probiotics during and after an antibiotic regimen to prevent yeast infection which is a really common side effect of antibiotics in vagina-bearers. Bodies is complicated. For reasons I'm not sure are fully known, antibiotics can also disrupt the efficacy of hormonal birth control.

Eating yogurt? I didn't think that eating yogurt will prevent/cure a yeast infection (and I didn't think it was the probiotics that did anything to yeast, but who knows)... When you treat a yeast infection with yogurt you pretty much inject it into your cooter (just like other topical yeast infection meds).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Learn something new everyday. Acidophilus ftw?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The fact he overcooked them all to death kind of negates the whole thing

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Traveling for work finally paid off, I'm going on a free vacation by cashing in my Hilton points. I've never been to an all-inclusive resort before, which begs the question... how is the food at those places?

Mostly junk, and usually limited. We ate a lot of the same stuff over and over again, but that probably depends on the resort. Breakfast buffet seems to be the best meal, probably because it's harder to screw up. This was at a Couples resort.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, this is a Hilton, so I'm hoping for better then average fare. We'll see.

I've read from several reviews that the place I'm going to serves name brand, regular/mid shelf liquor. Which is good, these places have a reputation for serving cheap crappy booze.

If you want specific brands, make sure you ask. All the fruity tropical things will be made with crap, obviously. And anything you don't specify will be, too.

My "favorite" story from our one all-inclusive experience was the woman who was crying alone on the beach because she walked in on her husband banging the maid. The best part: when we told a bartender the story, he was perplexed, because "she knows 100 other private places to take him!"

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like how they are sure to mention big perfume companies because YOU ARE DRINKING PERFUME obv

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Skinny King Pimp posted:

It's not a formal offer, but my UW-Madison grad application status says "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates," sooooooo.

What champange should I buy when I have the formal offer in my hand?

I don't know anything about champagne but I do know that Madison is an amazing school and a fantastic city (for food too!) so awesome, congrats.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pr0k posted:

Calcium chloride aka Pickle Crisp edit: plus long low-heat processing.

Why'd you cross that out? I've done the long, low heat processing and it works really well, no calcium chloride needed.

Unless you were just talking about Claussen...

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'll back you up on this. I used to pride myself on my scratch made brownies, but the Ghirardelli brownies are insanely good. Really good quality chocolate. And when they go on sale at CostCo, its cheaper then scratch.

I like the Baked brownie recipe (made with TJ's dark chocolate bars) better than the Ghirardelli mix. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/10/08/the-baked-brownie/

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Anyone got a good pie crust recipe/a good write up on pie technique? I use my moms old recipe that's flour/shortening/salt/water but it never rolls out neatly and I'd like to switch to butter . I'm tired of all my tasty pies from my rhubarb plants looking like a retard made them.

Freeze your butter and then grate it on a box grater right into your flour. Makes it easy to incorporate.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

"This little cauldron is extremely hot. There's nothing worse than being hungry, and being served super-hot food.

Part of what makes this taste good is probably its lack if vegetables.

I won't penalise the dish for it, but it stays hot for way too long, and I'm still having to blow on it right to the end of the meal."

:staredog:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

I made the mistake of making some homemade pepperoni bread for one of my department potlucks. Now I get death threats if I even THINK about bringing anything else. I'm loving sick of making pepperoni bread.

Also gently caress you if you are one of the fourteen people signed up for "chips".

That's what always happened with mine, too. Someone would HAVE to bring their nasty overcooked egg scramble thing in a crockpot, another would always have to bring his PB chocolate chip cookies, another would have to bring her lovely no-bake "cheesecake". There was one woman who would make the most beautiful arranged fresh crudite platters though, that was one good thing. I would always have to do a bloody (virgin) mary bar, but I was OK with this.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Did you secretly make yours non-virgin :v:

I wanted to, but never did. I suspect other people did, since it was a temp job no one gave a poo poo about.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

A guy in the general questions thread asked how to make a leaner pulled pork using tenderloin and was advised by myself and others that it was a bad idea.

Turns out he went ahead and did it anyway.

I wonder how dry the tenderloin was after being cooked for eight hours. :gonk:

I'm more concerned by the chicken tenderloins cooked on high for 9 frickin hours a couple posts down. They must have been mush at that point.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Very Strange Things posted:

For the last year or so I get terrible heartburn every time I eat onions or tomatoes; I still cook with them and eat onions pretty much every single meal.

Actually, two days ago I put some canned tomatoes and onions in the crock pot in the morning for to make chicken parm with in the evening. That did not give me heartburn so I guess I just need to cook them for 8 hours?
Should I look into an OTC or prescription heartburn dealie or what? I can't live like this.

Just try some Tums if you haven't yet. Otherwise there's Prilosec and Zantac which are both over the counter good acid reflux meds. But start with Tums or Rolaids, they're much cheaper.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bombhand posted:

anti-elitism going on in that GBS thread.

So, they've turned into conservatives :razz:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Daeren posted:

My mother has one, and it loving obliterates whatever you put into it. A lot of stuff made in cheap blenders still have little chunks and bits in them, or take forever to process a large batch, but the smoothies she makes are done quickly and practically emulsions. Is it worth several hundred bucks? For my money, not really, unless you've got money to burn, drink a fuckton of smoothies, or really, really want a consistent product.

Yeah it makes poo poo super smooth but it also can just chop stuff too. So I use it all the time to lightly chop/smash fruit for jams, chop a whole ton of veg for certain recipes if I'm feeling lazy, blend a chunky salsa verde, etc. Also use it to make oat flour from rolled oats for cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I didn't realize so many of you guys drank the Amy's Baking Company water, holy poo poo