Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd be a bad goon if I didn't come in here to mention that pr0k's home smoked bacon is really loving good. I think I'll finally be making the jump into smoking my own meats. Also, gourd made really tasty spicy lamb meatballs that were so good that hours later I burped and the burp tasted like good meatballs.

Oh and frisbee is the lamest of all sports/excuses.

Ninja edit: the main page of the GWS wiki hit over a half million page views. We're sharing food education with the Internet!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I go away for a while to raise a kid and come back to find chicken cheese mania. What the hell goons. Good job. It's almost like the goold old days up in here. Anyone had his way with pr0k's mom lately?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

Croat! I just made a main wife reference in a post.

I think the question is "anybody not had their way with pr0k's mom lately?"

How's babby? I was wondering if there'd been any consequences to the prematurity.

Oh man it's been a fun ride. The little dude is just fine. Here's a channel I set up for my family to see him from wherever. Check out the first few to see how small he was and the most recent was just a week ago or so.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUoZ7iTu-i5-paWUU4zUu7bA

I hope that worked?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Doh004 posted:

Kind of. I knew of butchers and fishmongers, but I had never heard of a cheesemonger. It makes sense and I just chalk it up to my inexperience in buying my own food and trying to find more specialized stores. I just did a quick search and found a couple that I could go to.

Go learn about cheese. Here's an awesome thread that was closed for very little reason.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088948

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Start here

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cheese

In fact,this is a good place to start. Even my local cheesemonger uses a copy for recommendations.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 26, 2012

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Damnit Mom I told you to leave me alone on here, you're embarassing me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

Suprise beer is nice. Suprise gin is Best Feeling (for me; your mileage may vary).

Going to your in-laws and they offer you a beer.
"Sure, I'll take one, thanks".
Beer tastes funny.
Look at "Born on" date and it reads 4 years ago.
:(

I sipped it for a while before I could throw it out without them noticing. They don't drink beer and I think it was the beer I brought them the last time I was there.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I found this at a store today.

Merry Christmas GWS!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey ATL goons! Where can I get authentic Haggis in Atlanta? I found one joint who proudly proclaims "Our haggis is made right here in the U.S. using 100% beef, with traditional Scottish spices." :sigh:

Paging mindphlux. Will mindphlux please come to the chat thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Well that's probably for the best anyway. Good to see he's going for the longest rap sheet ever.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hello everyone.

So, as it turns out, a "chip butty" is really good even though I'm ashamed to admit it due to the fact that it sounds disgusting. Hoever, today I read an article and there's a "bacon butty". What the gently caress is that? Is it basically a BLT without the L&T? You Brits are weird. Explain to me what one is and why it is good or why it is bad. That's goonier than french fries and butter on white bread. What the hell.

Also, here's the article. It comes from the "Well I'm glad we spent money to figure that out" category.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 7, 2013

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

Good god, Green & Black's Sea Salt chocolate is fiendishly good.

I enjoy your posts best when I read them in the main character's voice from there will be blood.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh hey guys

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

"I don't always drink ranch dressing soda.... but when I do, I wear a thumbring." ~~ <themostinterestingtrailertrashintheworld>

Not my hand. Not my pic.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey Wiggles, you know Costco has two roaster chickens for $6 in a twin pack.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just so everyone knows he's probably not dead. Happy Hat stated on facebook that he was going to get off the computer and do real life things. I guess he meant all things internet and not just facebook.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Did she get decked or something? That's one heck of a shiner.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Eww

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steakandchips posted:

How the hell was the bill $1000 if you have insurance? And what on earth could possibly cost $60k?

Sounds like some lady out there is gonna start cooking blue meth.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Most of y'all remember Croat babby and he was a million dollar baby after all that PICU time. Almost 4 months at around $300K a month! Thank god I had a max out of pocket. Otherwise I'd have been hosed.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
ATL spicy vinegar BBQ is the best everyone else likes total poo poo.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My kids think I have magic abilities since I started making them homemade potato chips.

Kids are suckers.

Edit: potato chip snype.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 13, 2013

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

week one of copper pan use :

it's glooorrrrrrious. I'm not sure it's inherently better than a really nice thick as poo poo all clad stainless pan, but so long as I'm going big or going home, I am loving loving these Falk pans.

it's slightly more annoying to clean, since you basically have to treat it like a cast iron pan - but I really don't mind hand cleaning. I don't have the anal "GOTTA KEEP IT SHINY" mentality, so all the scuffs and dark stains and marks on the copper I'm almost proud of. going with falk (matte copper) rather than some of the manufacturers who do a shiny finish was a good decision.

conclusion : buy this poo poo, even if you just can afford one at a time. I can't imagine ever having to buy another pan in my life, pans loving feel like a tank.

I don't know man. I recently upgraded to the All-clad D5 set this spring and I'd say it's well worth the extra cash. I loving love cooking on these things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I will never understand sperging over cookware. Is it tri-ply? Congratulations it will last basically forever.

Because, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, you're a dumbass. Having better tools helps you pull off some techniques you otherwise wouldn't be able to do. Now don't get me wrong, you can do just fine with lovely pans, I did it for years. However once you can finally afford really nice pans (thank you Mr. Bonus for showing up when I wasn't completely broke for once!) you should upgrade.

Also, that shits expensive, it's cool to show off your new toys.

Edit: and one other thing, tri-ply is great but they're not invincible. One of the bad sides is if they can warp. Having an additional layer of stainless steel helps prevent that. All copper is sweet too but warping is really easy because its soft and you have to be OCD about keeping it clean.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 27, 2013

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Have I invented a dish that no one else has? I think that's impossible. I've found that subing chicken with boudin noir in alfredo is pretty much one of the tastiest things ever. I googles it but I don't see anyone ever posting anything about it. You should try it. It makes it grey instead of white but drat it's tasty. Also, blood sausage is one of the tastiest things ever so if you haven't tried it, you should. Don't be a pussy, dino.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

Wow. Didn't realise there was that much contempt for me. Sorry guys. :(

I was teasing you Dino. You're awesome :)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey what temp should a sous vizzle a thick rear end ribeye at for medium rare?

Is it too late to suggest 105*F for a few days?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There's a banner ad that's telling me that the "Never Ending Pasta Bowl XVIII" starts in 4 hours and 43 minutes at The Olive Garden.

:goon: Who's coming with me? :goon:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That sounds completely plausible.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't get the whole "cumin smells like armpits" thing. The only people whose armpits smell like cumin are people who already eat fuckloads of the stuff.

I think it's hyperbole like in "This tastes like poo poo". Oh really? You've eaten poo poo?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I miss Mommie Dearest. No offense mindflux but you're no Mommie Dearest on eviscerating someone for making a poo poo thread. That "pizza" thread is just downright dumb. When did GWS become GBS+food?

Oh and sweet kitchen man! Knock them off so you can inherit it!

edit: i spell the dumb

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 20, 2013

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I genuinely think that a good portion of ex-regulars who know a lot and can contribute a poo poo ton of information are timid to post or just have lost interest in GWS after whirled peas. I know that I still make some crazy fun things in the kitchen but talk about them in IRC or just don't bother to post because what's the point if I have to stand on par with someone who's idea of a good thread is titled "Pizza" and took a dump on a tortilla and called it good. That's pretty loving elitist of me, I know, but that's also something that comes with confidence and knowledge of a certain subject matter.

Can we at least be dicks to someone for not trying like we used to if we’re still helpful in the long run?*

I love encouraging newbies who show that they want to try (mentos, grav, & PF for examples who are now superstars) but I don’t like the simple fact that our subforum has basically the same “bar” to meet as just about any food forum on the internet.

*as long as we’re helpful in the long run and not just douchebags of course

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anybody got a good chicken liver recipe?

It's Offal night at the house so it's Chicken Livers and Hearts. The hearts are gonne be churrasco de curacao.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

geetee posted:

Son of a bitch. Wake up this morning, notice my wifi is dead,

Holy crap I must be tired. I did not read that the right at first. I thought this was about to be another facebook killer type thing. "Yeah the wife's dead YOLO"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

pr0k posted:

still not posting

That counted as posting.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Me in Reverse posted:

I think the spectre of lovely heavy modding hangs over GWC from the threadocaust and Whirled Peas.

This.

Also I support mindphlux for mod as well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can we change the drat name back to Goons With Spoons? Chickencheese was funny but come on, all good things in moderation. (I even enjoy when FYAD trolls us)

Another idea. All of us regulars have some type of "signature style" or dish even. Why don't people post their bad-rear end recipes in threads again. People have already mentioned Jizzer's carbonara thread and I don't mind tooting my own sukiyaki thread horn. That poo poo is awesome to see and learn from.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you guys get Gourd to post again and contribute he and I always intended to make a polish food thread. Make Gourd post again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
She also keeps a jar of it. You know, better to be prepared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man, is there any way to get the recipes from Cook's Illustrated without keeping a membership? I kept mine up for two years and got sick of their spam.

Edit: Oh wait, there's a cookbook I don't own. Nevermind, carry on, nothing to see here.