Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I learned something about myself today.

I can tolerate bleu cheese. Or at least I can tolerate it in buffalo wing dipping sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

al-azad posted:

bleu cheese is the only acceptable dipping sauce for wings and I will smack ranch off the table.

This, but the opposite.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rice is always better too moist than too dry.

Dry, crunchy rice sucks rear end.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally discovered instant ramen for the first time last week. Where has this stuff been all my life?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1061030072163872768?s=21

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

A novel approach to sous vide

One day I will live in a house with a jacuzzi full of live ducks.

I will also pet the ducks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made aïoli for the first time. :getin:

I used the aïoli recipe from here and added some fresh herbs I had sitting on my counter. It might have a little more garlic than the recipe calls for because I love garlic, and I used balsamic vinegar because I didn’t have any white wine vinegar on hand.

Tastes delicious. Maybe a little bitter but I’m hoping it mellows out in the fridge some.

I loving love this new food processor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks good! Homemade mayo is pretty amazing, too. I always use a bit of dijon mustard for my stabilizer, and I've never had it fail in my Cuisinart.

I’m about to make homemade chipotle mayo I’m excited :D

One question: Should I sub lime juice for the lemon juice?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I tried making chipotle mayo.

I was not successful.

I followed the recipe, subbing lime juice for lemon juice and adding 1/2 teaspoon of adobo sauce and 1 clove garlic.

I did a wire-thin stream of oil and everything.

What wrong?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

try a blender instead. Get the emulsion going before adding more oil/adobo sauce.
immersion blender mayo is the easiest mayo imho

I don’t have an immersion blender, would a regular one work?

P.S. I have no loving idea what emulsion is or how it works or how I got the results I did with the aïoli I made yesterday plz explain

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sooo my mom died this morning... and right now I’m trying to think of threads where I can post that without typing up a wall of text about it.

I’m gonna make an E/N thread but the OP will be long and I just don’t have it in me to type that out right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stringent posted:

I should have said this sooner, but your tragedy kind of brought it into focus.

I've always enjoyed your posting and your willingness to throw yourself out there which is a courage a lot of people on this forum don't possess. You've always been eager to listen and learn, and even more than that you've done so.

I wish you the absolute best, and I can tell you with confidence your parents are proud of you because I, a random rear end in a top hat on the internet, am also proud of you. You're a credit to this forum.

Thank you for this, it means a lot to me.

We’re making funeral arrangements right now. Mom is going to be cremated, and I’ve been tasked with finding an urn for her.

... Actually, and this is super awkward to ask about here but I don’t know where else to ask, but if anyone has any recommendations for good urn making companies, please PM them to me. Or if you don’t have PMs and it’s okay with the OP/mods, I guess you could post them here too. I can post a description of what we’re looking for if anyone wants to see it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

All I know about urns is that those companies rob you blind. They're so drat expensive, it's ridiculous.

But enough about the funeral industry as a whole :v:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Depending on what you have in mind, consider looking for something that's not an actual urn, especially if it's unique or money is tight. (The ashes will be inside of a plastic bag of some sort.)

Unfortunately my mom never told us anything about what kind of urn she wanted (all she told us was that she wanted a few of her ashes scattered in mountain streams), but we’re pretty sure a traditional vase urn is the way to go for her. We want something nice looking that we can display at home.

As far as details we’re looking for in an urn:

- The urn should be durable and not easily breakable (I don’t want a irl repeat of that scene from Meet The Parents where the urn breaks and the cat pisses in the ashes)
- Mom liked flowers, cats, the fall season, mountains, and snow, so we want something with designs of any of those (flowers are probably the easiest to find)
- We really REALLY want to be able to engrave at least 3 (and hopefully at least 4) lines of text on it, either directly on the urn or on a plaque attached to the urn
- If possible, it’d be nice to be able to add either a photo or a picture engraving of Mom onto the urn, although I’m not sure how easy that is to do on more detailed urns (or vase urns in general)

I could actually use a bit of help looking for this, since I’m getting kind of overwhelmed helping my dad out with all the funeral arrangements, and time is a little bit of a factor.

I’m not expecting any of this to be cheap, but I love my mom and I want everything to be nice for her.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 15, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There is always the option of putting her ashes into something nice but temporary, while you search for the perfect long-term urn. As long as someone is comfortable with handling the ashes (again, in a bag) in the future, that could take off some immediate stress. You don't have to find something perfect and amazing right this moment. Just a thought.

comedy option: get a motorcycle gas tank urn. they actually make those! with painted flames and everything!

therattle posted:

I was going to say the same thing. The urn may not be an immediate priority in the way that other things are.

Also, condolences.

I didn’t know this, thanks. I’d like to find something soon, but it’s good to know that it isn’t like super urgent to find my mom a perfect corpse jar on top of the mountain of other awful poo poo we have to deal with right now.

dino. posted:

Bro. This loving sucks. I'm so sorry that you're going through it like this. Losing a parent will always suck, and this one sounds like it's hit you pretty hard.

Yeah it’s definitely been tough. I’ve had anxiety issues my whole life, and losing a parent to a sudden death has been one of my top 3 fears since I was like 6 years old. I expect to be hosed up from this for a good long while.

dino. posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Ansons-Urns-Pink-Rose-Cremation/dp/B07C6W4FNV/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=flower+urn&qid=1552620228&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Here's a really nice one in multiple colours. Go get you one. If you don't have Amazon prime to get the 2 days shipping, tell a bitch, and I'll see to it that it gets to you in a timely fashion.

This looks okay, but something about the thought of buying something ultra sacred and personal like an urn on Amazon doesn’t sit well with me for some reason.

Speaking of which, I googled for urns yesterday and discovered you can buy them at Walmart, which... just.... no. gently caress no.

dino. posted:

With regards to the engraving, have someone who can do that quote you. If the urn is $100, hiring an artist to engrave it will be worth whatever you have to spend.

Having a third party do the engraving is an option I hadn’t considered. Thanks, I’ll look into that.

dino. posted:

Also, if you need to vent, cry, or just feel your feelings, let me know.

Message me if you just need to talk, or vent. We've got your back.

I appreciate this. I’m not sure how much venting or crying I want to do with goons, but I do really want to make an E/N thread sometime in the near future. I just haven’t been able to type one up yet because I’ve been so busy contacting friends and family, helping my dad with funeral arrangements and personal affairs, and generally being shocked and sad as all gently caress. Also because the OP is gonna be pretty long and this whole ordeal has left me too physically and emotionally exhausted to put my thoughts down (and because you can’t edit posts in E/N (and because I don’t want to start crying while I’m typing)).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Today I went to church for the first time in probably over a decade.

I made it about a third of the way through the service, then spent the last two thirds in the bathroom doing diarrhea.

So that was fun.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hopefully my ability to make TMI posts like that again means I’ve begun the healing process. :unsmith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: I think I’m gonna move this to E/N for now to be on the safe side.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just found a kickass Latin-fusion sushi joint in my redneck shithole hometown.

They have a loving huge menu that includes sushi nachos.

Like I honestly think this place might be good enough for Diners Drive-Ins & Dives.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I just found a kickass Latin-fusion sushi joint in my redneck shithole hometown.

They have a loving huge menu that includes sushi nachos.

Like I honestly think this place might be good enough for Diners Drive-Ins & Dives.

And now I’m having daily sushi cravings.

gently caress :negative:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hellsau posted:

I envisioned 'sushi nachos' as being thin cut sushi rolls on torillas with a cheese sauce. Googling it did not reveal anything so appetizing.

They have sushi burritos too.

https://www.gofishmodernjapanesekitchen.com/menu

Weirdly, the nachos seem to have disappeared from this page, but I don’t know if this is even their whole menu.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hellsau posted:

That menu looks like it has some delicious food and I want to eat most of it.

It does. I’m going back there for dinner tonight.

I didn’t even know I liked sushi. I hate cucumbers and avocado but I’ll eat this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trip Report: The Chi-Hua-Hua Roll is loving great.

Pickles are fine, I just don’t like regular cucumbers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How was everyone’s Easter?

I went to a family friend’s dinner party that was also attended by a priest who turned out to be a big fat loving homophobe/transphobe, which, for the record, is unusual in my area.

So that was an experience.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wanna eat that pie.

:same:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Was he OK with you being gei?

It didn’t come up, thankfully. :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a Steven Raichlen book with a kickass smoked potato salad recipe in it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You know those scam calls that tell you you won Publisher’s Clearing House or whatever?

We just got one of those. Guy speaking terrible English called my number (lol it showed up as “No Caller ID”), hung up immediately when I asked what the call was about, then called my dad to tell him we’d won Publisher’s Clearing House. Except he didn’t do the part where they ask us for any information or money, he just... gave us some claim numbers and asked if we’d be home tomorrow and stuff. Also he told us we won second prize instead of first (second prize apparently being $485K plus a Benz car), which seemed a little odd.

Has anyone ever gotten one of these scam calls where the caller forgot to do the actual scam part?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Maybe you won a Benz. Dare to dream.

I am, and I hope I did, but I’m pretty sure it’s a scam unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

It's a scam. PCH doesn't call its winners. If it was legit you'd get a certified letter or a visit in person by a bunch of shitheads with cameras and lights.

The guy said they’d be coming to our house tomorrow and asked if we’d be home then.

But yeah I figure it’s a scam. It’s just a weird scam because they didn’t do the actual scam part.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

They are doing the scam part right now. They're just not done with it.

Hell, maybe they're not scammers, they're burglars and that's why they asked if you're going to be home. Who knows.

Now I’m scared.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I went to a flea market today.

I. M. Gei posted:

Here are the steins.

The Budweiser one in the middle I’m pretty sure is worthless. I’m more interested in the two on the ends, which according to Google sold on eBay for $100 and $300 about 10 years ago, but I’m curious to see what this thread thinks. The guy I bought them from has a ton more of these at knockdown prices (they were his brother’s collection, which he’s now selling to help pay for said brother’s funeral :() that I’m thinking about going back and buying more tomorrow.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Manuel Calavera posted:

If they turn out worthless, they're still cool af looking.

Agreed. I’ve been thinking about collecting beer steins for awhile now. I might go back and pick up some more today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought more.

I. M. Gei posted:

I went back to the flea market today to pick up a few more steins to start a collection in earnest.

I thought maybe I’d end up getting three or four max.

I got SEVEN!

Dude told me these were the best/most expensive ones he had. He could’ve easily tried to swindle me on some of his Anheuser-Busch/Budweiser stuff if he’d wanted to, so I’m inclined to believe him. Even if they’re worthless, though, I think they’re a pretty nice start to a collection.

THAT loving CHIP OFF THE BOTTOM :argh:

This is one of the oldest ones the guy had. Apparently it never had a lid.

Today was the last day of that market so unfortunately/thankfully I can’t go back for more.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 6, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enchiladas are delicious

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Since the charcuterie thread is archived I figured I would throw this here.

Anyone have any flavor combinations on bacon they have enjoyed? I’m searching for ideas.

These are peppered bourbon barrel aged maple syrup streaky bacon and Carolina reaper and turmeric back bacon.

Jamaican jerk, my dude

(I have never tried this, but I’ve been curious about it for awhile.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ben Nevis posted:

It's apparently not that available in the US, though you can order online. Kenji recommended smoking over bay leaves and allspice berries, I think.

Hickory wood with allspice berries is supposed to be a good substitute for pimento wood if you can’t get the latter.

If anybody has a Jamaican jerk bacon recipe, please post it here because I really want to try it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I shall do this jerk bacon. It will go into the fire next week when I get back from my buddies wedding.

Please post the recipe when it’s done so we can make it too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This bacon is done. Next up Jerk bacon.

:f5::f5::f5::f5:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want a big rear end basement