Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

The next couple weekends are going to be awesome for Winnipeg food for me, apart from the godawful weather! Tomorrow Osborne Village will be having its first ever Taste of the Village event, in which participating restaurants have a $5 dollar special, some places have free stuff! Osborne Village's facebook page has been posting participating restaurants all week and knowing the near-infinite number of good restaurants in the neighborhood I seriously am going to struggle picking where I want to go.

Next weekend I'm going to be checking out a newish mediterranean restaurant, I'm so excited! :D It's called Arkadash and they've got decently large meze and charcouterie menus with locally sourced ingredients, and really customizeable main courses. So pumped for a tajine with scallops and bacon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

e: ^^^ :drat:

I forgot to add to my last post it's also Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. :btroll:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Sandra Lee is a TV cooking show host who teaches people to make lazy, horrible food using pre-made components and minimal effort. Here she is teaching people how to make a Kwanzaa cake using a store bought cake:

<Embedded Youtube>

Before the recipe for this got deleted off the food network website, there was a great comment, it said "This cake is a hate crime!"

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

therattle posted:

Main wife loves India. She's done boating on Kerala backwaters which she thought was amazing. Parts of goa are good for beaches but others are very built up. I hear tell that Rajasthan is wonderful too. I've always wanted to go to a northern hill station/tea plantation.
Do you have an alternate/secondary wife? :psyduck:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

therattle posted:

Cute! It did. Here are some of my babby eating cheeses of the world (well, cheeses of western Europe, more accurately)

< Babby vids! :3: >

That kid sure loves cheese.
You should make cheese with your kid when he gets older! There's a kickstarter project I've been dying to check out. Though it's not really in the true spirit of a kickstarter; the different levels are actually pre-orders for the kits. But the Mozzarella kit comes with enough for up to 30 batches of cheese, and they can be done as early as two hours. I didn't even consider making my own cheese up until now, despite seeing my cousin posting a bunch of the simple cheeses he makes on facebook. It just seemed really intimidating to me for some reason.

One of the best things about working in aboriginal government: Free stew and bannock on the day our founding father was hanged! :canada: Some aboriginal organizations got the day off, including my ex boss's place of employment, but I'll take free food I guess. :)

I guess I'm one of those food picture-takers now... :gonk:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I asked for a nutmeg grinder this year. We go through a lot in my house, and I'm tired of getting out the microplane every time I want to nog it up.
Won't you just be grabbing another different appliance/tool when you get that?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Pffft, I've seen older women than you in two-pieces, Mrs. Gunderson! I'm sure your niece(?) could help you out with finding a lovely swim costume.

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

-Chicken that is dropped without seasoning into veggie oil and water first thing in the morning and cooked all day without any sort of interaction at all until spooned out in glistening grease globs.

Luckily I had my mom and my nice aunt to teach me how to cook non grease soaked foods.
What?! That just broke my brain. Is it boiled in veg oil and water all day? What is happening to that chicken gahhh :psyduck:

I was never really exposed head on to strange salads until having dinner with my boyfriend's family. There'd certainly be a few random sweet, creamy salads of death a la the one Charmmii I think made on youtube, but it's easy to just not partake if it's a buffet.

My boyfriend's family always serve a delectable treat called Fresca Salad alongside any turkey dinner. Fresca salad consists of green jello mixed with fresca, with a good helping of cool whip folded in before it sets, and it sets into a much more solid but fluffy mass than regular jello. In my boyfriend's family, fresca salad is to turkey the same way cranberry sauce is to turkey. :barf: It's something else.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

For Winnipeg Goons, Livingsocial has an Arkadash coupon right now for $40 for $80 to spend on food. You can also use the coupon on a Wednesday when they do the fixed price menu FOR TWO for half price. :aaaaa: I'm too poor to afford it right now but I have my fingers crossed I get it for Christmas!

e: I went there once on a Wednesday for the fixed price menu and the theme was chestnuts. It was ridiculously good, apart from the serving of soup being disproportionately huge compared to the rest of the menu (Not including the gargantuan slice of cheesecake they served for dessert) and I ended up filling up on it and being unable to finish my entree or dessert, despite reeeally wanting to eat dat cheesecake. Shoulda got the salad. :smith: But I guess it's not the worst problem to have, I got to snack on delicious chestnut goat korma after we got home.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 10, 2012

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So, Alton Brown posted a pic on his FB saying "real" Kobe Beef is now "legal" in the US.

Why would "real" and "legal" be in quotation marks?
Because "Real" Kobe beef actually refers to the region/terrain it was raised in, so technically it's impossible to get in North America without importing it, which I think is also very difficult to do. e: I checked the Wiki article, and I think lots of people assume that Kobe beef comes from the Kobe cow or something and it's as easy as moving the cow. No... :negative:

edit: Does he link to an article or anything?

edit: VVV That IS pretty weird, I should follow him haha. I looked it up myself and it just sounds like they'll be exporting it now that the mad cow scare is over. But it'll still be price-gougingly ridiculous here I think (Moreso than its current high price in Japan), I can imagine importing it costing more than other meats to ship due to the lower melting point for its massive amounts of fat, not to mention sheer demand for *real* kobe beef in the US. :spergin: Here's the article I found, it's two weeks old already though.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 12, 2012

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Everything I've read up until now about Kobe beef makes me think it is the :spergin:-est meat.

VVV I have no basis of comparison but I do love a dry aged steak. From looking at pictures and the description of its texture, I feel like Kobe beef would probably do best served as a carpaccio or tartare, but that's kind of comparing apples to oranges if we're talking about whole, grilled steaks.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 12, 2012

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Scientastic posted:

I must have especially retarded cats. I once saw one of them run headfirst into a wall.

This guy is my boyfriend's roomate's cat. He ran head first into my boyfriend's Xbox 360 last week. :catstare: It didn't red ring, thankfully. This catte is the opposite of dignified, though.

But I guess he's pretty cute.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Your wife is hilarious, and so are balls.

e: I thought long-ball/short-ball was a fact of life for dudes. :iiam:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

No kidding. To be fair though I know garlic at the very least is good for stomach problems and (:gonk:) topical relief of yeast infections in women, literally by shoving a clove right up there.* The onion thing is so ridiculous though, I mean if they weren't peeling them during the plague, how isn't every onion grown gone loving black after being picked? How do you save the onions???

Semi-related: Does anyone know if I should be chopping up raw garlic before eating it for stomach ailments? I usually just give it a good, hard smash and swallow the pieces whole.

*I do not speak from experience, for the record. That just sounds....Burny.

e: Also yes I think the dog thing is true, cats too cannot have onions.

edit 2: Steve Yum the garlic burps are the reason I know it's working!

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 20, 2012

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

My dad and stepmom got my boyfriend Axe shower gel for Christmas and HE thought he was hated by his in-laws. :stare:

My mom got me a set of KitchenAid Stoneware and a roaster though so I'm excited to use them!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

If you could afford a return ticket, it'd be badass for you to fly down there in your wife's place to give them a lovely surprise at the airport.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I wish I didn't live in an apartment in Manitoba so I could grow heirloom tomatoes and eat them all season long.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I find it really really peculiar that onesies are The Thing right now, or were A Thing momentarily this year when all those weird famous people were rolling out wearing them. I kind of want a kigurumi because they look SO PLUSH AND COMFY but it would be the biggest shame of my life and nobody could see me in it ever. :ohdear:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

:allears: Well that just melted my kigurumi shame away! You were initially the reason I kinda wanted one in the fashion thread but now I'm 110% sold.

Your orange cat still seems vaguely concerned though!

e:

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: I have learned from talking to americans that I should attach this:
I of cause mean 'man' in a non-gender specific internet kind of way that takes fully into account my deep respect for you GLTBAWDOPQ lifestyle choices, without showing the least bit of curiosity since it may be perceived as bigotry on my part..

'Man' does not imply that you have male sexual organs, nor does it imply that the sexual organs of your chosing are neither pretty nor otherwise. They have absolutely no interest to me, ever, and will never have it.

So how's it hanging?
To the left! :downsrim:

I understand what you meant! :) I call everyone dudes, my grandma is a dude to me. I think gender's kind of irrelevant to conversations, unless of course they're conversations about gender.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 28, 2012

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I thought cooking school was mainly superfluous because you need experience before anyone will hire you and therefore everyone starts at the same place, cooking school or not.

E: That is, assuming you mean cooking school!

Also, Happy new year! I like the new layout, actually... v:shobon:v We had a New Year's Eve oil fondue with some other good friends of ours and it was fantastic. We also watched Cabin In The Woods and made these weird Kool-aid wine blended sangria abortions.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Really? Because it sounds to me like he's outlining the horrors of public schooling and the total feeling of helplessness teachers can get by witnessing their students being put through an endless cycle of abuse and neglect. But I've always kind of thought public schools were a dark sort of place.

e: I suppose it's at some hypothetical autistic kid's expense, but gallows humor has always been a tool utilized by people with grim career choices so I'm still willing to give it a pass.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Wikipedia says:

Wiki posted:

In the US, animal control and vaccination programs have effectively eliminated domestic dogs as reservoirs of rabies[6]

Citing: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/index.html

On top of the fact that most homeless peoples' dogs are generally in better health than their owners. Most of the homeless people I've seen with dogs in my area make their first priority keeping that dog fed and healthy/up-to-date on shots, and our humane society has low income programs in place too for that to be possible, but of course YMMV.

Honestly two minutes of googling or talking to the dog's owner would have saved you that 30 grand and the giant literal pain in the rear end that are needles. :smith:

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Can I ask again what's up with the multiple wives or will it be met with more :jerkbag: Silly Newbie :jerkbag: remarks?

Thank you! Last time it was brought up I got called a weirdo or something for finding mention of a main and secondary wife strange, but how am I to know it's some random inside joke? Polygamy is weird guys

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 18, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

What about the wedding ceremony itself? The timeline I've usually seen at weddings I've been to is for the ceremony to begin sometime in the afternoon, a two-hour ish break for the wedding party to take pictures with family, and then into the reception/dinner probably an hour or two later depending on the schedule for initial introductions by the host, etc. This may not be the exact timeline for your wedding but if your family's anything like mine you would have no time whatsoever to be cooking*, even if you could leave right after the ceremony and skipped all the pictures and poo poo family expects at the beginning of the reception.

*Keep in mind however I've never cooked for a large crowd apart from making a giant portion of something to bring to family potlucks, which seems to be nickels and dimes compared to catering your own wedding. :smith:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I really don't understand some drivers' animosity toward cyclists and pedestrians, especially if they're in their designated place to drive (At least in my area). It's not an uncommon occurance here for a cyclist or two to be killed a year. I loving got honked at while crossing a flashing crosswalk the other day, by a guy who was stopped at the stoplights about a hundred yards away from me when I started crossing the road. :wtc:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Did they do something with the peas apart from just throwing seven random peas on the plate? Are they wasabi peas? I could be just ignorant of how great that restaurant actually is but 7 or 8 peas tossed on is not a side or an attractive garnish IMO, what even is that? They couldn't have done something more interesting with them?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I've got my fingers crossed for getting one this Christmas from my mom. Canadian Tire puts pretty much all their Kitchen-Aid stuff on sale for 30-70% off in the coming time before Christmas. She's gotten me so many badass Kitchen-Aid things over the past couple years. :3: I've got my eye on the mixer and/or a dutch oven this year!

edit: VVVV This is what I hate most about recipe websites. How can people say they're objectively reviewing the actual loving recipe with a straight face? :arghfist: :spergin:

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 19, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I'm in Office 2010 training today for work. They brought bannock for breakfast. My life was full of regret as I was peanut buttering my bannock: they just opened a can of klik.

Also, I made hummus with a blender on the weekend and while it was tasty I wouldn't use the blender for hummus ever again. A small part would blend and I'd have to stir more chickpeas to the bottom from the top ad infinitum, and had to fish out all the garlic to chop it up.

Edit: also also, the weather in Winnipeg's been way below average all month. We've had fresh snow every weekend... :smith: Winterpeg indeed!

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Haha, I wish. I got peanut butter and jam for my bannock (Which is aboriginal yeastless bread if you didn't know... IMO it's an acquired taste, until I worked in an aboriginal organization I thought it tasted like play-doh) but then somebody else opened a can of klik and my pov-stalgia kicked in and I wanted a bannock and klik sandwich. :unsmith:

And yeah my hummus was delicious, but it was way more time consuming than it would be (until I get the technique down or kill my blender I guess) with a food processor. I'm pretty lazy.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Question:

I made caesar salad dressing tonight and ignored the important part of the recipe: pour the oil in slowly once the other ingredients are well mixed and put it in first. I added an egg yolk for emulsification, got out a whisk, stretched the ol' biceps and whisked the hell out of it and...

It came together in like 20 seconds. Way faster than slowly drizzling the oil in to incorporate. Is adding the oil to an emulsion slowly an old wives tale, or did I just have enough emulsifying power between the yolk and the ground mustard?
My boyfriend's mom makes this crazy delicious Caesar salad dressing and she just throws everything (eggs, oil, garlic, everything) in a cup and blitzes it with her stick blender until it's white and creamy. I was pretty :catstare: the first time I saw it because of all the whisking I usually do. I have never attempted it this way though.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Gordon Ramsay sucks. Like none of the restaurants he goes in to "help" stay running long after Kitchen Nightmares comes in, and his advice is way more insulting than constructive so people will spite Gordon (And as a result themselves and their restaurant/livelihood) by not doing it. I love trainwreck television as much as anyone else but it's really difficult to watch Kitchen Nightmares because Robert Irvine is doing basically the same thing on Restaurant:Impossible and actually helping people out with their struggling businesses. He's still a relatively verbally abusive hardass, but way more of the restaurants he works with actually stay open and flourish compared to Kitchen Nightmares.

edit: I like Gordon Ramsay's instructional cooking show.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 14, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I don't mind what I've seen of the 'F' word at all, it seems like a less volatile and competitive version of Hell's Kitchen in a lot of ways. I should clarify, it's only really Kitchen Nightmares (And more specifically the American version) because his producers/whoever applies for the show are already in the worst, most volatile place they can be and all he does is goes into their restaurant and stirs up more drama by calling them on all their failures, for....? If he knows they're doomed, the only reason I can think of the show existing is for entertainment purposes and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At the very least they should put it on TLC or something where it belongs and leave room for people actually helping people with their businesses like Robert Irvine. Restaurant:Impossible may not have as much action or drama as GORDON loving RAMSAY but he gets results, doesn't flinch at peoples' bullshit (He'll shitcan servers on the spot if they don't learn the menu when they're asked) and the only reason he's still on Food Network is because people like him so much.

edit: Here's a blog post that quotes Food Network's response to when they hired him back, it seems the article I posted only talks about when he got fired: http://foodnetworkaddict.blogspot.ca/2008/11/robert-irvine-coming-back-to-dinner.html

Hilariously though now Gawker's picked up on the drama: http://gawker.com/nightmare-restaurateurs-who-scared-chef-ramsay-flip-out-505815263

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 15, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I like a dirty martini with AT LEAST one part olive juice and like, five olives stabbed onto a stirstick. I think at this point it's more of a disgusting olive juice cocktail, but it's great.

e: VVV I think it depends who I'm with. In good company I'll make a 3:1 and top my glass to the brim with olive juice so it's probably closer to 3:1:4, but in polite company it's closer to 3:1:1. v :shobon: v I don't drink often otherwise the salt may have killed me by now, heh.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

So horrible. :( I have kind of mixed feelings on the fact that nobody sitting at the restaurant intervened... It's nobody's business but their own that they're fighting, but in my opinion it certainly becomes other peoples' business when someone's doing something so obviously, horrifically wrong and unacceptable out in public, like grabbing your wife's throat FOUR SEPARATE TIMES in a single outing. It almost certainly wouldn't have helped the situation to have some kneejerk-angry feminist like me come over and yell at the guy though. What a piece of human garbage, ugh. :(

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I have a priest.

I'm super curious about how that works for you.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What about it? It's fantastic.
I guess my biggest general worry would be that he wouldn't have an answer as to why I shouldn't be doing something apart from "You'll go to hell if you do." as opposed to actually looking at my problems and having a solid, thoughtful answer like a therapist would. As a woman, most organized religion also kind of intimidates me. Having a priest that disagreed with divorce (Til death) would be extremely problematic and claustrophobic for me too. I think a lot of priests have counselling degrees of sorts nowadays though, so that helps.

I'm a really skeptical antitheist and really shouldn't/don't want to open a :can: but my major, specific concern would be how a priest could help me cope with an abortion without shaming me into thinking I'm a babykiller. Or really anything that went against my religion that saves lives like organ donation. This is absolutely me projecting my fears onto the catholic church though and not in any way actual experiences of mine.

edit: vvvv Yeah I'm definitely projecting/overthinking various hypocrisies and other flat-out wrong stuff about religion in general but there's nothing really drawing me to any religions either. I dig what the most recent pope said recently about how people should just be good and do good to get into heaven, but then the church itself went and contradicted him so that was pretty disappointing. I've always kind of questioned why people would need incentive to be good people, too.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 17, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Well that's pretty awesome. :) I've only really had bad experiences with judgmental catholics (My boyfriend's grandfather literally said to him once, "Get behind me, Satan!" but he's a worse antitheist than I am so it was almost certainly provoked :laugh: That's actually a hilarious story. His grandfather was saying he and his Knights of Columbus buddies could use his pain pills to knock my partner out and take him for a new education, and my partner was basically like "Good freaking luck!" And it went from there) and my weird youth pastor cousin and his wife's anti-choice facebook postings. This friend of mine from high school's dad was a priest, but I think knowing him at arms' length would have been a fine relationship because at face value he was just a Harry Potter-depriving wang.

To each their own though, and thanks very much for the insight! I'm sorry if my ignorance came off as insulting whatsoever.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Good luck Mrs. Wiggles!!!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I was doing a consumer survey today at work ( :ssh: ) and one of the questions was "how often per month does your household consume bacon?
-7 Or more times
-3-7 times
-1-3 times?

It's so weird that this is where ever are now. Bacon everywhere!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Way to patronize every woman in this thread, you tremendous douchebag.

http://theleatherdistrictgourmet.wo...chefs%E2%80%9D/

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

People don't need hate in their hearts to perpetuate ignorant bullshit. Men can work up to doing molecular gastronomy and do all the cool kitchen science, but all women can strive to accomplish is some loving upside down peanut butter cups and broken hershey bars? Come on! That's such a terrible, limiting analogy for an entire gender. Barring cakepops, have any women that post in this cooking forum ever posted this twee Good Housekeeping crap that wasn't out of derision?

Maybe women don't want to bother with molecular gastronomy because anything we touch and do successfully in certain industries basically cheapens the skill for 'everybody else.' I don't specifically blame men, I blame people and today's social climate for turning anything women can do well into 'soft skills.' Last time I checked, baking/pastries was a pretty scientifically complex school of cooking, and its industry is pretty heavily filled by women. We don't get that much recognition for it because it's almost expected of women to know how to bake. I thought Cat Cora used molecular gastronomy pretty casually in her iron chef battles back when it was trendy, but I could be wrong.

Like King Skinny Pimp said, if it was ungendered it'd have been a better analogy. Pinterest "Chefs" juxtaposed against Molecular Gastronomy is pretty great and clever I think.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Caesars are the Bloody Mary's far superior northern(?) cousin. :canada: