Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Thing about the dogs is true though I think... Right?

No, dogs just really don't like onions. They got sick of everybody bugging them about it ("onions? What? You just haven't had em my way!"), so they just say they can't metabolize them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well that's the kinda thing I meant, geez :v:. Other cons are for bouncy bouncy, PAX is for the vidya. What's Artemis? And combolations on the classic console tourney.

:barf:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

People who read yelp reviews without a grain of salt are just as dumb as industry folks who think yelp can only be a terrible thing.

Also "real reviews" is a problematic term nowadays. But that's a whole different can of worms

So basically you don't work in the industry at all and are an Elite Yelp Reviewist

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Phummus posted:

Going to be in the Philly area in a week and a half or so. Any must-hit spots on a shoe-string budget? Looking for good, hole-in-the-wall type places.

Skipping a page to chime in here, as I literally got back from Philly an hour ago. Jim's is the cheese steak you want. South and 16th I think? Monks Cafe has an insane selection of Belgian beers and the like, some more affordable than others obviously. Didn't do too many other crazy restaurant/bar things but the Barnes Foundation museum is definitely worth it, especially if you like Renoir (180 works) and Cézanne.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
re: Philly

I forgot I also really liked the twisted tail bar/restaurant. Over 120 whiskeys, house made everything, at least 3 different hams (but my Cuban didn't come with mustard and did not have enough pickles!), live music every night. On South St but don't remember where

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

therattle posted:

You're generally a cool poster but this is one of the stupidest and most offensive things I've read for a while.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

A. that's way too many words (before reading them)
B. don't take stuff so personally
C. you seem like a great guy who should be very proud of his accomplishments, but in reading your posts in the whole puppy drama and stuff like this, it seems like you really base your self worth way too much off what other people think. I mean I do it too, I know it's hard, but really you should probably not give as many fucks as you do about what anyone else thinks. (I guess this is point B.5 really)
D. demand what you're worth, and have confidence in yourself. being poor honestly is a choice, unless you're dumb as a doorknob. find someone who you can impress and is willing to pay you money, and stick with your gumption on getting paid what you think is fair. that's how the world works, unless you're a bank or large company or something. and even then its how the world works, just on a much larger, contract driven scale.

the hard part is playing poker - you have to be willing to walk away from your job if you know you're valuable and aren't getting compensated for it. I recently almost fired a client paying my company more than an average annual american salary because they were on some bullshit about my bills being too high and 'oh we just need to start saving more money where we can!!'. but, I knew their back of house was going to collapse without our help, so I just told them I would be parting ways at the end of the month. they were like 'lol please no :( :(' and the checks still come, so... stick up for yourself! Even if it's just demanding a dollar or two more an hour, its worth doing. and gently caress them if they don't appreciate you.

Yea dude gently caress off

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

to be clear, my post was intentionally hyperbolic and unintentionally insensitive

but I do absolutely stand by the basic sentiment of 'stand up for yourself' and 'demand what you're worth.' - and walking from a job when you have to.

I was trying to be encouraging and positive. in only latenight-mindphlux-bein-an-rear end in a top hat-off-the-cuff-postin kind of way I know how. :( sorry for offending anyone I did

I'm not gonna read this, and instead say gently caress off you idiot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I completely understand this, and why my post was hyperbolic and insensitive in that light. I just think Dino is genuinely an awesome, very capable, intelligent person - someone definitely not in that sort of situation based on all he has posted in the past. I of course don't believe ALL POVERTY IS A CHOICE HURRRRRRR PUFFIN ON MY CIGAR OVER HERE WHY DOESNT EVERYONE BOOTSTRAP THEMSELVES.

Dino's a published author, capable cook, good poster, by all appearances an extremely loving and devoted partner - he's got a lot to leverage, that's all I'm saying. I suspect many of the other posters hurling poo poo at me have their own personal success stories, and telling those stories in a convincing manner and standing up for yourself in the workplace can gain you a lot of respect.

Again, not saying this is the case for everyone - but I meant to address people posting in an internet comedy forum serioustalking about food cookery. IE, I'm assuming the demographic is nerds, aged 18-40, solidly middle class.

I'll stop digging myself a hole here, I know this poo poo is sensitive business.

Ah, another post to not read - gently caress off

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

lol hold your tounge pleb

Mmmmmm.....feels good, gently caress off

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Scientastic posted:

I have something much more important to discuss than this nonsense.

What should I get for lunch?

Sushi

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

I don't know about that. Their spirits are/were relatively easy to find in Portland, although that may be due to them having a physical establishment there as well, and not that difficult to find down in southern CA if you go to most Bevmos or Total Wines. I think it has more to do with how Oregon controls their liquor sales than how much they are producing. Ransom Spirits in Sheridan makes my current favorite gin, Their version of Old Tom Gin. They even age it in oak barrels from their vineyard (although that might have changed, but they still use barrels from somewhere). Delicious.

Yea I'm pretty sure I can get a few Rogue spirits in central coast CA. There is a winery in Paso Robles, Villicana, that runs a distillery, Re:Find. I'm curious how widely available they are. They use sagnee, the juice bled from wine before the wine is finished, to make vodka and gin. They also have a nice rye made from local brewers' mash, a limoncello, and a cucumber liqueur. It's honestly not my favorite vodka or gin (the grape lends an odd viscosity and the gin is heavy on lavender) but they mix well and it's just pretty drat cool. Plus they're super nice and taking a tour is a treat.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SubG posted:

My sympathy for living in whatever sad, heathenish land doesn't have taquerias, bánh mì shops, phở, dandan noodles, sisig....

You know, Americans are really surprisingly bad at the whole street food thing, comparatively.

Thanks for the empathy

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I'd like to make a motion that Echeveria's husband should drink 100g of olive oil.

Can I get a second?

I'd like to make a motion that nobody is allowed to abbreviate avocado as "cado" ever again.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
She has a good reason at least. I'm just imagining sending an "add cado" mod into the kitchen and the confusion and frustration that would ensue, and it's pretty funny.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnielab posted:

We had a bottle of that kicking around. It was good, but not enough better then London Dry to be worth the price.

I gave up on G&Ts due to insane non-crap tonic water prices. Now I just mix gin, half as much lime juice, and top with club soda. Or just pink gin on the rocks. I would love it if I could find good tonic in small 3-4oz cans like the lovely stuff comes in.

Edit: my first drunk was cheap plastic bottle gin and loving Scope. We were very dumb kids.

Track down small hands food tonic syrup.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

In another week I have a 3 day weekend, which in the service industry is basically like saying that I captured, hosed, and butchered a unicorn and plan on throwing a BBQ. God. drat.

Aw yea. 3 day weekend after tomorrow, and the week after I have an industry party featuring Dushan Zaric and lots and lots of 86co booze.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnielab posted:

The tiny beer chaser is great. Although most days I like a half beer half bloody mary mix.

Micheladas are truly where it's at.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnielab posted:

The michi is more of a lime juice thing IMHO, the bloody beer just adds a bit of fizz to breakfast.

Jalapeño, lotta lime, bit of bloody mix, maybe extra Worcestershire or that liquid msg stuff, chipotle salt, negra modelo. That's my jam.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There are also impurities like congeners imparted by barrel aging that will definitely affect you.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Might want to :nws: that. It's not nudity, but my boss would probably ask me to have a chat if she saw that on my screen.

Good to know your boss won't care if she sees a message board on your screen.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

tell me if I'm right/wrong

I like whiskey alright

I like cheddar cheese alright

are they actually sperge worthy?

ain't in love with neither. think they lack a lil bit of finesse or subtlety or something. they're both great, and aged cheddar is really tasty, and yeah some nice whiskey is great. not worth getting spergy over though. I put my money where my mouth was and bought a bunch of super expensive whiskey and expensive cheddar cheese recently, because I was like "goddamnit I just don't get this".

I guess feel like the people who get spergy about whiskey are the same folks that get spergy about cheddar cheese. also largely maybe the sort of people who just like to have something they can get spergy about for the sake of it. grinds my gears. Right? Wrong? Trollin'? connecting unrelated dots?

You're wrong - it actually doesn't matter what other people sperg about.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I think we're on the same page here. I totally get and appreciate the difference between a lovely cheddar, and something that is dense, milky, has the tyrosine bits. And I like all that in a cheddar. But it still all just tastes like cheddar to me.

On the other hand I'm 10000% on board with you on Epoisses - it's my favorite cheese by far and I will go to hell and back arguing that it's spergworthy. Nothing else tastes quite like it, it's super temperamental aging-wise, blah blah blah - I just feel like you can differentiate more of a spectrum with some things people latch on to than others.

yeah, I mean that's probably the better point to make.

it really doesn't matter at all. But sometimes I find myself thinking about things like 'Hey, is it pretentious and/or worthwhile to care about food/wine in any objective sense - and if so why - and depending on why, how can you qualitatively differentiate your care about this topic (let's say, wine, or cheese in general) from any other topic (let's say whiskey and cheddar)?'

And then I have to wonder : 'On what basis can you assert that anything at all is worth objectively caring about or making a value judgement about in any sense whatsoever?

And to take that one step further, what does it mean for something to matter to begin with? After all, we're all going to die sooner rather than later and whiskey producers will stop producing whiskey and no one will have any idea that Hooks produced a superb cheddar circa 1980-2020, and maybe we should all just drive our cars off cliffs ASAP. And maybe Descartes was right, and evil demons are all playing tricks on our senses all the time, and we need to just do a bunch of PCP to punch through the illusions and strike the evil demons down and perceive immediate reality!'

thanks for this "The Maestro".

I can appreciate that and you make a lot of good points, but you just sounded so insufferable in the first place. Why does it grind your gears that people appreciate one thing over another? If there were no value judgments, wouldn't everything be the same? There would be one whiskey and one cheddar (if we're lucky - what if there was only one spirit and one cheese?).

Tastes change. Context changes. It's what makes life actually worth living. The best whiskey of yesteryear probably isn't as good as it was hyped up to be. There is always something to strive to, even if it's ineffable nostalgia.

I've tried a bunch of whiskey, and knowing how it's supposed to be made and supposed to taste (even if those are weird restrictions in and of themselves), I have favorites and ones I think demonstrate the platonic ideal, if you will. Do I categorize them based on worth/value/how much I paid? Absolutely.

I dunno where else I'm going with this. Basically if whiskey and cheddar are making you think that nothing at all matters and we should all drive off cliffs, my response is stop thinking about that and eat some drat cheddar and drink some drat whiskey and enjoy them for what they are - sensory, temporary delights.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Evan Williams is great, but I have been drinking some early times and it is not good. It's aged in reused barrels. It actually has less flavor than Jameson.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Phummus posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that at all! The Linq was so oddly obsessed with Fieri. The mirror in my bathroom had decals that you could move around to make it look like you had Guy Fieri hair, goatee and/or tattoos. Not creepy AT ALL!

loving. Yes. Lmao.

Anybody else seen the episode of Triple D where he visits one of his own restaurants and his parents are the guests? It's perfect in every way

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Marta Velasquez posted:

Do you have a link to this? The closest thing I'm finding is Guy's Family Cruise, but that doesn't sound right.

Unfortunately it's one of those things where I was too awestruck to hit record on my tv and the only clip I could find was here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/guy-visits-johnny-garlics-0185964.html

I've found that it's the episode Unexpected Eats from season 14 if that helps you find it elsewhere. It's seriously worth tracking down. Just the idea of him shilling his own dumb restaurant amd his own dumb recipes on his own dumb show with his own poor parents is hilarious and so very wrong.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

regional blocking.

drat same here.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What you need is wine

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

someone should buy me an avatar, I feel so schlampy without my han hoogerbrugge :(

but goddamn I'm tired of rebuying forums poo poo yawnnn

You're so bourgeoisie

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Huntridge is a good choice. It's the neighborhood bar for the folks who work at my favorite local brewery (Crafthaus, in the southeast, also well worth a stop).

If you go to Starboard Tack ask for the Centerbe. It's not on the menu but it has to be tasted to be believed.

What's in it?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

The French-Canadian propane grill I got for a bargain and came with wrong measurements and an instruction manual without words finally got put together :buddy: The entire time I imagined Hank Hill berating me and talking about superior American grill manufacturers.

Cooked some steak and shish-kabobs. Not bad not bad. Definitely gonna grill more this summer, hopefully minimum two times a week. Gonna buy a smoke box though cause as delicious as it was it didn't taste like charcoal.

The minute I saw that video I wanted to go out to the nearest Cuban restaurant. I think I'm gonna cook that if I can up my motivation game.

"Le grille? What the hell is le grille?"

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Basically he wants to give away his stars instead of just taking it easy and have them taken away right?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

in other news lol which one of y'all got interviewed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHVUNISceA

Lol probably more appropriate for the industry thread so
The Restaurant Industry Thread>Hired and Fired Rhyme

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you have that much counter space and don’t have a system already, you don’t deserve that counter space.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What do folks know about Baltimore as far as food and dining? Entertaining an employment offer that would be based there. My partner and I would be moving from San Francisco; I'm a native, he's originally from Michigan but has lived here for about 17 years. Both work in restaurant/bar/music industries. What are cool parts of town? What's a 'hip' place to live? Whats a good part to buy a home? I'd love to be able to use public transportation or walk as much as possible, and a place near to restaurants, bars and groceries. I'd love to hear any info or thoughts anyone has.

Can I have your job

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

al-azad posted:

I get what you're saying, I'm just bothered by the implication that "this thing I observed is average because I say it is average."

How else are we supposed to critique it??? How is it so unbelievable that people can watch the man cook and tell that he is not an expert?

I can observe from your posting that your critical thinking skills are mediocre. I have studied critical thinking and I know the difference between mediocre, good, and exceptional.

The counterfeit artist analogy is wildly awful as well. The artists skill isn’t in question unless he or she makes a mistake. It could be a flawless counterfeit, and I would consider that person a talented artist, but it’s still a counterfeit. It has nothing to do with this guy cooking things.

Edit: there are verifiable skills in cooking that you can observe and, if you know what you’re observing, on which you can make qualitative judgements. For example: was his pan hot enough when he started? Did he execute a proper julienne? Did he add too much water to his dough? Did he overknead it? Does it taste how it’s supposed to? Did he burn the spices? Come on man. I haven’t even watched the video. Coming in to a thread where people who like to cook (or do it professionally, or both) and questioning their abilities to judge whether somebody knows how to cook or not is just so short sighted and frankly condescending. It might be crazy to you but cooking takes a lot of individual skills that all take practice. If I hand you a knife and you immediately cut yourself, I’m probably gonna think you’re not a good cook.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 24, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i'm curious how many backyarders have them last 5+ with raccoons and whatnot. I'd check PI but I don't think that's a good sample

You do NOT want to ask about chickens in the Ask Me About Chickens thread.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea! I just started making tepache, and it’s so easy and so delicious. The kitchen uses pineapple for al pastor and I get all the scraps for cocktailing.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

didn't you like, write a cookbook that people buy

Let the man beam!

You’re a killer chef, but I’d hope you still feel joy when I tell you I had a super bomb dinner last Wednesday at your spot (bread, oysters, scallops, roasted carrots, Caesar salad, and hanger steak). It was so good dude. Literally my only nitpick is the fried polenta with the scallops was like a mm too thick. The drat potatoes with the steak were otherworldly. Who feels nice now? Yea that’s what I thought punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

That was a deep fried Chinese dim sum daikon cake

Also I saw you right when you left and was gonna come out and say hi and also told your server to tell me when cool people come in.

Also I wasn't making a dig at dino at all I just chuckled at the thought of a successful cookbook author being tickled that someone wanted his cooking advice

~namaste~

Oh I knew you weren’t making a dig. I always order the scallops without even looking at the set up. I’ll be sure to actually look at it next time.