Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Also everyone should watch him on Taskmaster and just watch Taskmaster in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
The last episode was the best the shows been in a while imo. Maybe i just overlistened last year with the archives going on Howl, but i find it to be a real bore recently. I know its been stated enough, but the Hamilton talk got reaaaaalllly bad, and i feel like there is too much Elliott nowadays. Its fun to hear him get iced, but he really is unfunny.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The latest ep is really strong. Josh Gondelman is a terrific guest. Bonus: Elliot getting the treatment he richly deserves. If they're not going to get rid of him (of course they aren't) then yes, please mercilessly poo poo on him when he clunks up the podcast with his stupid Elliot crap.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I went to the Romesh Ranganathan gig at the Greek last night. He wasn't kidding about it being undersold, and the boys weren't wrong about the outdoor venue being a bad idea. It was freaking cold and there were maybe 120 people there, maybe. However, this led to a rather unforgettable show because he looked at the crowd and said, "you know what? I think I could actually fit this entire audience up on the stage." And so he did. We all sat on the stage of the Greek Theater, with the curtains closed around us, looking like we were staging some kind of protest. And he did the show and was very funny, although reactions weren't great because it was still cold and uncomfortable.

It was pretty hilarious seeing an expensive cable-comedy-special set in these conditions.

(Glad I bought those last-row tickets.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2017

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Haha holy poo poo... why would he choose to play The Greek? I deleted NNF from my subs but I gotta listen to them talk about that ASAP.

edit: Dude seems chill and has a really good sense of humor about it but it’s hosed up nobody told him this was beyond a bad idea... or told him it’s a music venue 99% of the time... or that late Dec nights in LA are 40 degrees... or that a large chunk of the city leaves town by then... or that $50 tickets for an unknown don’t play well in a city with 10 free shows every night. I just hope he didn’t lose too much money... At any rate, it makes me want to check out his stand-up YouTube!

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 23, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That's hilarious and awesome

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Stumbling into How To Basic was pretty funny

i just finished that ep and was amazed that somehow these middle-aged dads who watch popular youtube videos and memes and stuff had never heard of HowToBasic and were super angry at the video about how to put on pants without using your hands.

"Okay he's still not getting the pants up. Uhhhhhh now he's throwing eggs and milk on the pants for some reason - is this a joke? This is really dumb, he's not even trying to put pants on, lets close this. Why would anyone even watch this, I won't even say his name because I don't want to give him views"
*Garon pipes in that the channel has almost 10 million subscribers and the video has more than 1 million hits, Jimmy questions the fanbase*

I'd never seen this video but as soon as they mentioned eggs it was obvious what channel it was, the profile pic even has cracked eggs its such an old gimmick

yeah this is probably spergy i'm just surprised that guys who talk about stupid videos from facebook/twitter feeds and youtube had somehow never seen anything from this account thats been uploading near-identical videos for 6 years

maybe if ke$ha had retweeted it at some point

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Correct, that is spergy. People different from you have had different experiences, especially online

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
they talked more than once about sassy trump which only has 44k subscribers and only one video with more than 300k views so yeah im not sure what their Hip Dad threshold is on social media awareness i guess

regardless, a comedy podcast not getting the joke and being almost disgusted by it was good :thumbsup:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jimmy’s Mom died :(

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy’s Mom died :(

The discussion about this really made me teary-eyed during my commute this morning. I couldnt help but notice that he compared his mom dying to seeing Hamilton though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Juttman posted:

The discussion about this really made me teary-eyed during my commute this morning. I couldnt help but notice that he compared his mom dying to seeing Hamilton though.

that was pretty funny

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

As a infrequent listener, I only listen to maybe an episode bimonthly.

Me: hey I like Todd Glass! Time to start jiggling those cashe-:stare:

Very sad episode.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Lol at Jimmy effectively asking the listeners to commit fraud on his behalf in the latest players club ep

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I kinda burnt out and never re-upped - what's this about?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

He was asking people to go to the links for their advertisers and enter in promo codes even if you don't intend to buy anything

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm so sad about how crazy and terrible Jen Kirkman became post-election

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was gonna ask, is the episode at all listenable?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm so sad about how crazy and terrible Jen Kirkman became post-election

In what way? I haven't listened to I Seem Fun in a few years.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

She uh, seemed to place all of the blame for Donald Trump on Bernie Sanders and his supporters. Agressively, loudly and often. I assume maybe she still is?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Not Operator posted:

She uh, seemed to place all of the blame for Donald Trump on Bernie Sanders and his supporters. Agressively, loudly and often. I assume maybe she still is?

It's pretty much been her main thing since the election.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I've always liked Jen's comedy but I enjoy her best when it is her standup or she's a guest on someone else's show. I had to unfollow her on Twitter and unsub from her podcast because it became too repetitive hitting the same political points (that I might even agree with) and she would spend long segments of her podcast singing along to Madonna and Michael Jackson songs. I thought she was great on NNF though.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
It's all Bernie Bros are paid Russians or brainwashed and in a cult now

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm usually an audio listener but I just saw the new video intro and it made me laugh. Good job Elliot!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So uh, did everyone stop listening or something? Last post was in April.

I hope they stopped talking about Hamilton

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I did, yeah. I just wasn't enjoying it anymore so I stopped listening after the last season I paid for ended.

I enjoyed Playing Games a lot, probably because it was a lot more structured. And zero Hamilton. Are the planning on doing more of it?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

piratepilates posted:

I dropped my subscription and have only listened to 2 or 3 of the free episodes. No Hamilton in the ones I listened to, but they sure love to talk about Kesha still

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I bottomed out at some point right before the presidential election. Haven't had any desire to check in recently but thinking about some of the old episodes still brings a smile to my face ( Lennon parham/jessica st clair or PFT)

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Colin Hanks episode last week was fun, same with the Andy Daly one a few weeks back?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm still on board and they have mostly dropped talking about Hamilton. Show's always pretty good but certain guests just bring out the extremely bland 50-year old centrist Democrat takes which are snoozeville. It's still always one I prioritize over any other show on the days it drops.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

half of the guest segments these days are just 40 minute political rants from rich white men

i particularly enjoyed patton oswalt coming on and decrying the bernie folks for all being sexist 1%ers, because what i want is political punditry from successful standup comedians emboldened by large twitter followings

at least scott aukerman has the decency to acknowledge that he's a comedian who doesn't know poo poo

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Pretty much. I started listening when they jumped on Earwolf and when my podcast subscription numbers were a lot less. Not a hard decision to drop "1 Funny Guy and A Bunch of Bland Guys" sometime last year, especially when the Hamilton talk went on for YEARS.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Other than Hamilton chat, which is a super valid criticism and which has mercifully abated, I don't really think there's any difference in the show now vs years ago :confused:

I still love it

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

I still listen to the free feed. I jumped in when they moved to Earwolf and ran through the back catalog one after another last year. The thing that sticks out the most to me now vs years ago is how much mic time the other guys get during the guest segments. I feel like now that the current crew of Elliot / Garon + Matt & Jimmy has settled in, Jimmy really defers to them too much now. They should get through most of the crew interactions in the first segment, meaning go around the horn and all, before the guest comes in. The way it is today, Jimmy welcomes the guest but then says he still needs to go around the horn, which leads to 20+ minutes of Garon and/or Elliot eating into the guest time. To be clear, the guys could still chime in during the guest segment, I'm just suggesting not setting out to spend time on them explicitly.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

tbh I mostly listened for the Aukerman episodes

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I still love this show. I started over from the beginning a few months back so I'm simultaneously running through new and old. Anyone who hasn't listened to Season 1 in a while should try it now, it might honestly color your perception of the newer stuff better.

I mean Schmidtty was great, but woof, it was pretty rough going at the beginning.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I still listen but it's definitely lower priority for me these days. I probably will not renew my Player's Club subscription. For me, Eliot has drat near ruined the show (although Matt's weird arrogance/anger issues aren't helping either). They need to take away his microphone. They never will because Jimmy and Matt are his friends and actually like the loving guy, but goddamn I just hate it every time Eliot opens his stupid mouth. Now I'm sure Eliot is a very nice human being with great qualities. I just can't stand listening to him and his pathological need to show off and his not-very-impressive singing and his inability to read the comedic tone of the room and his "Here's the thing..." and his stupid rants and all the other awful poo poo he does to clunk up the podcast.

EDIT: looking back through the thread, I realize I've been making the same complaints for a year and a half now. I guess I should just unsubscribe, but man... I really want this show to be great again.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jimmy is fun and great, Matt can be funny and otherwise is usually game except for his weird hostility and Garon's life is so dumb that it usually can have some fun mined from it but you are right, Eliot is just the loving worst. I think his extremely dumb political views that are taken as smart and good points annoy me the most but there's not much redeeming there.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I think ultimately the problem is the show doesn't doesnt really have a hook these days. Back when I started on season 3, having a podcast with engaging hosts, talented guests, and a mic quality above "the one built into your laptop" was mind blowing. These days, there are hundreds of great podcasts (plenty of which are hosted by stand up comics) and nothing NNF does is particularly amazing or unique anymore.

I suspect the show has failed to age very gracefully too. The numerous personality flaws of Jimmy and crew are less relatable and charming as a 30 year old as they were when I was an impressionable 20-something. Around the time I stopped listening two-ish years ago they were really coming off as weird, emotionally stunted, angry people who just incidentally were funny sometimes and I'm glad I ducked out before the election. Andrew Koenig's suicide was very early into the show's run, but I think his vibe provided a necessary counter balance to the less appealing sides of Jimmy and Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
I know the thread has talked about this before but they definitely suffered a lot from the wave of broken brains suffered by somewhat out-of-touch Hollywood standard-issue libs in the wake of the election. There's a dozen or more episodes I've had to cut out on early--Patton Oswalt basically doing the opposite of his Chapo appearances, formerly-reasonably-funny guest Jen Kirkman sitting down and immediately launching into her paranoiac nonsense, the multiple (!) guests they've apparently had on to spend an entire segment talking about their heroic anti-Trump tweets--and plenty more where I've had to skip through Jimmy ranting about the dang Berniebros.

They've still had a fair number of of good episodes in the past couple seasons: recurring guests who are strong enough to keep things focused (or are familiar enough with the whole crew that Eliot breaking in with some nonsense doesn't slow the whole show down) like Scotty Auks, PFT, Andy Daly, or Cristela Alonzo, and a few really good new guests, like Demi Adejuyigbe, Milana Vayntrub, or Romesh Ranganathan, so I haven't quite given up on it yet.