Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I also gave up on this podcast, but I miss hearing Jimmy so I might dip back in. I think I stopped when my annoyance with Matt reached its peak. People always complain about Elliot but I feel like the only difference between him and Matt is that Jimmy shits on Elliot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
You could always pull a WTF and fast forward through the beginning until the guest arrives. I only listen to the free shows and if it's a guest from broadway or a soap opera I skip it.The best guest he's had on this year was Romesh Ranganathan; firstly because he's a funny guy, but also because they didn't already have a history with him so the appearance didn't devolve into the usual boring conversations.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
It has become way more guest dependent to me now than it had been in the past. I just never subscribe to the players club any more and get by on the earwolf feed, and just dip in if I don't know the guest or if it's someone good.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

JFC posted:

You could always pull a WTF and fast forward through the beginning until the guest arrives. I only listen to the free shows and if it's a guest from broadway or a soap opera I skip it.The best guest he's had on this year was Romesh Ranganathan; firstly because he's a funny guy, but also because they didn't already have a history with him so the appearance didn't devolve into the usual boring conversations.

Yeah, this is what I was doing when I was last subscribed.

I was completely skipping "and the boys" and most later live episodes though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

apparently matt and eliot got into a fight while playing fortnite and they had to stop the episode to discuss it

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That is deeply embarrassing

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It was really weird and pathetic. I'd love to know the whole story behind that.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Isn't matt belknap in his 40s with a 10 year old child at this point, good lord

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Oh it was all on Elliot's end though

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Riptor posted:

Oh it was all on Elliot's end though

That's on you man

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Like three years ago I would have been so excited to see Rob Reiner as a guest, but now I’m worried it’s gonna be non stop trump poo poo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Like three years ago I would have been so excited to see Rob Reiner as a guest, but now I’m worried it’s gonna be non stop trump poo poo.

takes less than 3 minutes to get into it once he arrives

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Matt Belknap is really terrible at accepting opinions that vary from his own. If Garon doesn't like the loving Ant-Man movie, clearly it's just because he's watching it wrong.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

who would've thought rob reiner of all people would be outspoken about liberal issues

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ah finally an episode for me, scott aukerman comes in at 41:30 and its pretty good

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I was completely out of other shows to listen to and I was mad that the last episode of Threedom was entirely them playing their awful "features" so I downloaded the Jameela Jamil episode. It was really good. She immediately got it and was very funny. It was for sure a mistake to listen to the part before where she came in, so I'll skip that when I listen to the Chris Fairbanks one. Maybe I can get away with listening to a few episodes here and there and not be exhausted by it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Boco_T posted:

I was completely out of other shows to listen to and I was mad that the last episode of Threedom was entirely them playing their awful "features" so I downloaded the Jameela Jamil episode. It was really good. She immediately got it and was very funny. It was for sure a mistake to listen to the part before where she came in, so I'll skip that when I listen to the Chris Fairbanks one. Maybe I can get away with listening to a few episodes here and there and not be exhausted by it.

Yes, Jameela Jamil was fantastic. As my list of gripes with this show grows longer, the more my enjoyment depends on the quality of the guest. Which is why I have no regrets about not resubscribing to the Players Club, where the guests are mostly hack comics you never heard of or tired old regulars like Mike Siegel and Paul Gilmartin.

Apparently Eliot doesn't have a girlfriend any more. Hard to believe, huh?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I ended up listening to about 10 from 2018 with proven guests: Andy Daly, Demi, Chris Fairbanks, Jackie Kashian, Cristela. I added the free feed (Stitcher version) to my app but I mostly refresh and see that it's not someone I'm interested in enough to download and wait for the next one. Last one that I bothered with was April Richardson from Halloween. But it's worked out well enough for me to recommend. Still incredible to me how exactly the same the show has been for a decade at this point.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Tom Arnold continues to be a fun wrecking ball. The intro to the story about his brother's wife is solid insanity.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Oh hey, haven't listened in a long time because in 2016 the show immediately started going downhill thanks to Hamilton and Trump, but it seems that storm has passed and there are some good eps this year. But now it made me nostalgic and I started going back and listening to shows from 5+ years ago and gently caress they're so good

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Anyone still listening? I haven't subscribed to Player's Club for a year and based on the guest list, I've had no regrets (the one episode I was bummed I missed, Scott Aukerman, was released on the free feed anyway). For the first time I didn't bother with Pardcast-a-thon. I skipped a few episodes, listened to Yakov Smirnoff and Jay Mohr... both were meh. It's just a bunch of old white men repeating the same tired jokes and doing the same bits over and over again, and getting stuff wrong a lot (I swear Matt Belknap is the loving KING of misinformation). I think this show just isn't for me anymore, but I've been with it for so long I'm reluctant to cut the cord.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Anyone still listening? I haven't subscribed to Player's Club for a year and based on the guest list, I've had no regrets (the one episode I was bummed I missed, Scott Aukerman, was released on the free feed anyway). For the first time I didn't bother with Pardcast-a-thon. I skipped a few episodes, listened to Yakov Smirnoff and Jay Mohr... both were meh. It's just a bunch of old white men repeating the same tired jokes and doing the same bits over and over again, and getting stuff wrong a lot (I swear Matt Belknap is the loving KING of misinformation). I think this show just isn't for me anymore, but I've been with it for so long I'm reluctant to cut the cord.

Like you I stopped subscribing to the players club around a year or so ago. I listen to about 1 episode a month on the free feed as well. And yes, Matt is wildly infuriating to listen to, he isn't funny, and is usually just mean and stubborn whenever he is talking about something.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I can say that I’ve enjoyed the return of PLAYING GAMES, though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Nope! Multiple years (can't believe I typed YEARS) of Hamilton talk knocked me out. What's Matt been misinforming people of lately?

The sad thing is that if Pardo wanted to do something new, he's talented enough and funny enough to do so. It's like a bad morning show except all the usual spots like Wacky Guy are filled with 3 variations of Boring Guy.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Someone in this thread said they spent half an episode sorting Disney characters by what Hamilton characters they'd most likely play and I basically never bothered listening to that episode or any after it.

To be honest though, as much of an edgy idiot as he is, squeezing Pat Francis out of the Pardcastathon really soured me even before this. I did enjoy Playing Games though, and I'm pretty glad to hear that's back.

The Human Frame
Jun 9, 2019
I don't listen every week, but when I do the show seems as good as ever, and the Hamilton talk seems to have died down to a level that is either equal to or less than Jimmy's classic rock talk. It's definitely shifted to a guest-dependant listen rather than a must-listen, but that's as much to do with the influx of podcasts as it does with how long the show has been going and its quality.

Re: Matt, I was listening to a few early PFT episodes and there was a multi-episode streak where PFT seemed to be getting genuinely annoyed at Matt's inability to yes-and (in the early days Matt would kinda fall back on picking apart someone else's premise to be funny, also known as Gervais-ing*), though PFT is able to turn it into mock-frustration. It ends with Matt saying he was "zero for three" for the episode. I think the fact that Matt knows he's the weak link in the show kinda redeems him.

*Speaking of, Stephen Merchant was a pretty good recent episode, particularly for how awkward it got when Jimmy did his "did you know Ricky Gervais is an atheist?!" bit.

The Human Frame fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 11, 2019

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I met Jimmy and Matt when they came to Houston a few months ago. I actually made Jimmy laugh, that was really cool after being a listener for like a decade.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Finally cut the cord, after I don't know how many years. It was one of the first podcasts I subscribed to, but it feels good to let it go. I no longer need to listen to a bunch of middle-aged white dudes regurgitate the same old jokes and be wrong about stuff.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I'm fully checked out, but kinda fascinated to know where they are right now politically, as some of the most uninspiring people on earth vie for the democratic nomination.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Guys you can just go, it's ok

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
hey remember that time Eliot's halloween costume was to dress up as Lin Manuel Miranda dressed up as someone else

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

LentThem posted:

hey remember that time Eliot's halloween costume was to dress up as Lin Manuel Miranda dressed up as someone else

remember that time he apparently dressed up like that to the show itself?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

Not Operator posted:

I'm fully checked out, but kinda fascinated to know where they are right now politically, as some of the most uninspiring people on earth vie for the democratic nomination.

They just had a guy on who is big on Twitter, is a fiscal conservative and social liberal(I.e. the dumbest political stance), and thinks people who like Bernie are as bad as white supremacists if that helps

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gotta say I'm almost tempted to check back in to hear discussion of the "Cats" trailer. But that would be a Player's Club episode, so never mind.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Gotta say I'm almost tempted to check back in to hear discussion of the "Cats" trailer. But that would be a Player's Club episode, so never mind.

ok

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

The Human Frame posted:

Re: Matt, I was listening to a few early PFT episodes and there was a multi-episode streak where PFT seemed to be getting genuinely annoyed at Matt's inability to yes-and (in the early days Matt would kinda fall back on picking apart someone else's premise to be funny, also known as Gervais-ing*), though PFT is able to turn it into mock-frustration. It ends with Matt saying he was "zero for three" for the episode. I think the fact that Matt knows he's the weak link in the show kinda redeems him.

I always got the impression in the early years that PFT made Matt nervous. It took until about Season 8 for it to feel like Matt wasn't striving for PFT's approval anymore whenever he was a guest.

And I still urge anyone falling out of love with the show to try pushing through Season 1 again for some perspective. The entirety of the Mike Schmidt run was extremely rough and awkward and it had nothing to do with Schmidtty. Matt was awful and even Jimmy seemed out of his element for a while.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I only ever listen to guests I think will be interesting anymore rather than every single week, like a lot of you seem to. I just listened to the recent Yakov episode and man, will anybody ever ask him a question that he hasn't answered a million times already? Every single podcast it seems like we hear the same stories about living with Dice, how he ended up in whatever college job he has now, and how he was on a cruise ship for a while. What even is the point of bringing him on anything anymore? I mean the dude seems like a genuinely decent person but you'd think he might have something more to talk about if anybody would just ask.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inspector 34 posted:

I only ever listen to guests I think will be interesting anymore rather than every single week, like a lot of you seem to. I just listened to the recent Yakov episode and man, will anybody ever ask him a question that he hasn't answered a million times already? Every single podcast it seems like we hear the same stories about living with Dice, how he ended up in whatever college job he has now, and how he was on a cruise ship for a while. What even is the point of bringing him on anything anymore? I mean the dude seems like a genuinely decent person but you'd think he might have something more to talk about if anybody would just ask.

Because there is literally nothing else you would want to ask the in soviet russia guy

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
They've never liked to have guests remotely via phone or online, because it's much better to have them in studio, which I agree with. This limits them to a group of locals that they recycle over and over, and I get that too. Now that they are doing shows via Zoom (like all other talk shows) why are they still recycling those same locals? They can get guests from anywhere in the world, including a bunch of New York comics that would be great on the show but I guess Matt is too stuck in his ways to think outside the controlled community he's developed.

Also Jimmy isn't a real working comedian. He's just a guy with an hour that he augments with crowdwork. He'd have to be doing sets at several clubs a week, working on new bits to be a real working comedian. It isn't the 80s anymore where he can parlay that hour into a network deal and a sitcom.

Sorry that's been building up and I have nowhere else to complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I know they actually had a booker for a while. Wonder if they lost them in the Earwolf transition?