Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Love NNF. I recommend it anyone wanting to jump into comedy podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

indigi posted:

From what I remember (haven't listened to the ep since it came out) they stopped being friends cause Mike was resentful, aggressively cynical and argumentative. You can hear it come out on some episodes of NNF where he purposely brings up stuff or says stuff he knows gets on Jimmy's nerves just so he can fight about it. If you've ever seen the video from Jimmy's bachelor party, when Mike walks up to the podium he immediately starts giving Jimmy poo poo cause he wasn't giving Mike his full undivided attention. I'm sure a friendship that's devolved into that gets tiring after a while.

I like Mike (I'm a huge fan of his Podcast, the 40 year old boy) but I can see this happening. He actually mentions the tension between him and Jimmy at Jimmy's roast during an episode.

I wonder if I can find that episode of Jordan Jesse Go where he discusses why he left...

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

indigi posted:

This season's been good, but mostly doubles so far. And the last new guest that was really a home run was Tig.

The fact that Bill Burr hasn't been on yet boggles my loving mind. And it's not a scheduling thing cause they record their podcasts at the same time except Bill does his laying in his bed or on his couch. Maybe Jimmy's just afraid of another Fitzsimmons incident?

I love that fences have been mended betweeen Fitz and Pardo. An unexpectedly awesome episode.

Has anyone here been to one of the NNF live shows? The next time he comes to NYC I absolutely have to go.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 23, 2012

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So what was the consensus on pard-cast-athon? I saw like half an hour with Pat Francis and Paul Gilmartin, which was pretty funny.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I've been revisiting the first season again and I have to remark on Mike's role...the chemistry is generally amazing, but there are definitely awkward moments where either Jimmy or Mike (usually more often Mike) seem personally attacked or offended by a comment. It's weird, I guess they were friends for so long and spent so much time together that they began to rub each other the wrong way. Glad they made amends though.

Does anyone know what the exact reason was for Mike's departure after season 1? I listened to the pertinent episode of The 40 Year Old Boy but Mike doesn't really specify what the breaking point was (if there was a breaking point).

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

tnimark posted:

Any regular listener to Mike Schmidt's podcast would agree that, as funny as he is, he would be a VERY difficult person to be friends with.

Yeah, he's probably one of the funniest people alive today but being his buddy must be the definition of a high-maintenance friendship. I'd be terrified of having to break up fights all the time.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've been out of work for a while so I haven't listened to/purchased the latest season. I'm looking forward to marathoning S12.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm catching up on season 12. Honestly, it's solid so far, with a few duds - but virtually every season has a couple of less than stellar episodes.

I also don't get the Bob Zany hate, I liked him as a guest.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

It's really good this week. He manages to fit in with the tone and pace immediately. I hope he becomes a once-a-season.

He was my favorite part of Parks & Rec, for sure.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
As per usual, I've purchased this latest season after at least 20~ episodes have been upload, as I prefer to listen to them in a glorious Jimmy Pardo binge.

I'm already loving this season. I do hope the gambling fades out, however. It's just boring.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
...The Return of Mike Schmidt!?
...Scott Auckerman, now the permanent 3rd chair?!
...Jimmy finally kills Elliot?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Just listened to the Ben Schwartz episode....one of my favorite guests by far. He understand the exact spirit of the podcast interesting, a really funny guy.

I've been wondering what my perfect NNF podcast season would entail. Probably:

1. Ben Schwartz
2. Adam Scott
3. Danielle
4. Mike Schmidt
5. Mike Siegel
6. Paul Gilmartin
7. Paul Auckerman
8. PFT
9. Jon Hamm
10. Al Madrigal (loved his two appearances)
12. Rachel Quaintance (but she needs to stop talking about Willow or whatever the gently caress her daughter's name is)
13. Todd Glass
14. Phil from modern family (I forgot his name!)
15....and I would kill to have Amy Poehler do a full podcast.
16. Oh, and of course Conan.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Did anyone think that last episode with Adam Scott was funny....but a little awkward? Adam seemed rather unenergetic. Still a good episode.

How long are the players club episodes? I plan to sign up for it once I get some extra cash.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I would be interested in buying the past episodes that showed how they dealt with his passing though, if you know the #'s.

They had a special episode to discuss what happened. I forget the season and number, but it was a short 20 minute ep talking about Andrew's passing. I actually think it's free and on the website.

It's an episode that reminds of why I love Jimmy Pardo and this podcast. While it was heartbreaking, Jimmy found a way to express his grief, honor Andrew's contribution to the show and be very funny, all at the same time.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Matt was kind of an infamous guy before that for doing elaborate rundowns of UCB shows on AST that most (if not all) of the comics hated/felt pressured by, which is why the vibe was a little weird in Season 1. Along with, you know, Matt not being a performer at that point.

I knew Matt did write up of shows but I never knew that comedians disliked them! Interesting. Honestly, the first 60 episodes of NNF rank as some of the finest podcasting I've ever listened to. Not that later seasons with other guests aren't incredible (I obviously stayed for the ride), but man that first season was great. Though it did have some truly uncomfortable moments between Pardo and Mike Schmidt.

It even comes with a crazy plot twist at the end.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I also feel that Matt is genuinely hilarious, though in a very unassuming way.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I just signed up for the players club. Great episodes so far, I love that I'm getting twice the never not funny a week.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

urk the quack posted:

If you bough audio + video, don't forget to occasionally check the audio section for live recordings. Those don't show up on the video player, at least for me.

The Live SF Sketchfest should be released soon, I think.

I don't typically listen to the live shows....and I'm not sure why. I remember that a few have some truly hilarious moments (like whenever Pat Francis reads an ebay message). I think I need to fix that starting with this season.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Your way works too posted:

Probably my favorite moment in nnf history. I remembered his comment during the build up along the lines of "oh, you think you hate me now." and started laughing in my living room seemingly apropo of nothing.

I keep hearing about this story but I don't know what live ep it comes from, does someone know the season and episode?

Also, I just want to say that Eliot is clearly a smart, kind and wonderful person....but I could listen to Jimmy rail into him all day. It's honestly like magic to hear Jimmy stop a joke because of an innocuous comment from Eliot....and then go off like a nuke.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
For anyone who follows the 40 year old boy, did Mike and Karen get divorced? I notice he seems to be getting engaged to someone else, and was surprised because I had no idea his previous relationship appears to be over?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Yep. About a year ago? Maybe a little less. He kept it quiet for a couple months and then released a loving doozy of an episode detailing it.

drat. When he has a heart-to-heart about something he really cares about, he is unmatched as a raconteur. I might just go buy that episode.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Scylla posted:

Almost exactly one year ago (March 14, 2013). Episode Forty-Nine, Year Five ("Almost") is the one you're looking for.

And yeah, the last 20 minutes are unbelievable.

Thank you! Has he ever released a best of? I know he has other amazing stories but I can't be bothered to purchase his whole back uncatalogued.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Nope, but if anyone's interested, I'll scrounge around and look for some specific episodes that should be listened to.

I'll be doing it by using the art as clues. And it will specifically be the one about him getting waxed.

EDIT: This week is a "Best Of" clip show, actually. By Schmidt standards, that means two stories.

I know one episode worth listening to is the one where he describes his going to pardcast-a-thon before he made amends with Jimmy and Matt. I remember it being heartfelt and moving and a great story all around.

To this day, I don't know if there was a specific reason as to why Schmidt left NNF after season 1. Or was he and Jimmy just pissing each other off?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

redz posted:

I know it's for ipods and what not but they really need to up the video quality. Doesn't even seem like it's 480p with how washed out it always looks.

Given Eliot's 7 camera set up it honestly makes no sense how low quality the videos are. A schmuck with a smartphone could film higher red stuff.

I still like Eliot though.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

I wasn't watching the video so I couldn't tell for sure which one was the worst, but I think it's the guy that plays video games with Conan. He was a horrible guest, their podcast sounds awful, and then he wraps it up by telling one of the worst stories I've ever heard about a lovely friend of his and then he's like "oh no this guy's still my best friend!"

At least this episode was only for paid subscribers? That's about all you can say for it.

While the friendzone stuff was a little cringey, it was actually not a bad episode on the whole. And I thought his story about his insane parrot-murdering friend was horrific and hysterical because of its horror.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Oliver was hysterical, it was very cute to see Jimmy interact with him and try to maintain his rear end in a top hat persona in front of his kid.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Sinbad was a phenomenal guest. Extremely funny...and he had such a great energy. I can't imagine not having a blast with him around.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Todd Glass going into full QVC infomercial mode is a sight to behold. He really reaches some liminal state of being as he tells you why you need these particular terrycloth towels.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
The episode is a little old, but Vance Gilbert is loving incredible. Going to buy his latest album for sure. Such a talented artist.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
guys as long as serial gets its due recognition i think jimmy will be fine

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Brock Samson posted:

Listened to every ep and it's the first I've heard of it.

Likewise. I'll chalk it up as another Never Not Funny mystery (alongside the question of what exact issue was it that lead to Mike leaving the show in season one).

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Mike talks a lot, Jimmy felt like he was being overshadowed on his own show, especially when Mike's tone got a little more argumentative (the argument about Jet Li out-of-the-blue challenging Chuck Norris to a fight in a restaurant being the example that gets brought up, usually), which then bled into their personal friendship and

Holy poo poo, I've listened to this show for almost a decade and know far too much about their personal lives.

I remember that conversation, and while I felt Mike went over the line a few times (the fran drescher joke he made was the cringiest moment of the show, IMO) I felt like the Jet Li situation was more of Jimmy's fault in that he didn't seem to pick up on Mike playing around with a joke premise....but given that Mike once punched the hood of a car when some dudes were bothering him on the road, I can also see why Jimmy might of thought Mike actually liked the idea of beating up old men.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

sambafish posted:

Wow! I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of NNF, but this is the first I've heard of this. That would be a much better show IMO.

IIRC, wasn't Pat also due to be the first guest of NNF, and Mike subbed in instead (sticking around for 59 episodes)?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I think it was last season, but there was a guest from ireland who said he had a memoir about working at Cnet during the dotcom boom. Do you guys remember who it was and the name of the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

tnimark posted:

His name is John Butler. He's an Irish writer/filmmaker. Don't know anything about the book but I'm sure it's easy to find now you have the name.

Thank you!