Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandolier
Nov 14, 2011

The last American hero to whom speed means freedom of the soul.

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh god yes that was loving amazing.

The first handful of post-Schmidt episodes I thought, "Ugh this is gonna suck, Belknap is awkward and terrible". Now I can't imagine the show without him, often the funniest moments are his.

I started listening to NNF mid-2011 and I'm only midway through season 6 right now, but Belknap was initially the most sympathetic character. Season 1 Episode 1, the very first topic of discussion was his bizarre Paula Abdul fanaticism during his early teenage years and airing that sort of thing publicly had to have been really embarrassing. I remember listening to that first episode and thinking Jimmy sounded like a pissed off old man. Obviously I've warmed up to him considerably since then and recognize his talent, but he must make a lot of terrible first impressions because not everyone's idea of humor is "say something terrible about someone and assume they know you intended it to be jocular." You expect it from people like Rickles or Dangerfield who had established shticks but that sort of playful antagonism can be off-putting.

Schmidt seriously impresses me and I admire his ability to ad lib on so many topics with such caustic delivery/turns of phrase, but the show definitely came into its own once he left. However, for me nothing has yet topped the story of him hiding in his neighbors' bathtub while their mom used the toilet. I should really get around to listening to his podcast because he was a hell of a storyteller.

At any rate, I'll probably continue buying this show until either me or the hosts die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU