Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What's wrong with propaganda? Everybody's doing it! Where's the "I send my kid to the store for beer and fags!" guy when you need him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Anyone catch the latest Sinica? Jeremy's diatribe about a handjob shack on every corner was loving :lol:tastic. It was a generally interesting episode, though too short to be as informative as normal, but that part really had me laughing out loud. Jeremy is the China-based expat of my heart.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tom Smykowski posted:

Handjob shack? Details, man.
Somewhere around 21m12s:

http://popupchinese.com/lessons/sinica/damned-lies-statistics-and-china

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/06/j-31-zhuhai-airshow-practice/

Someone there who can find local source material, I'm curious, is "Falcon Eagle" is a poor translation into English of a different set of Chinese words?

EDIT: This is quoted in the article - "鹘鹰"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

sincx posted:

According to Wiktionary, 鹘 refers to a type of pigeon. Take that how you will.
I wasn't sure if it could get funnier than "Falcon Eagle" but I'm truly hoping they named it the Pigeon. Must be a hint about its strategic bombing capabilities.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's gotta be one of those words that doesn't translate well literally, but makes perfect sense figuratively. I was just curious if any of the Chinese experts here could decipher it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Only if they want to get ahead in politics. Say hello to Piyush Jindal!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And in aggregate that's what you want.

Whether China can afford it is another question given the scale of China, but the concept that it is just some flight of fancy for super wealthy former post-colonial countries is deflection given that the WHO holds up Thailand's UHC as the model for middle-income countries, warts and all.

Whether it can be perfect is not the question. Whether you can even try and get closer to the desired end result is the point.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I stole the quote years ago, but it's among my favorites:

When alternative medicine works, we have a word for it: medicine.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I am pretty close to this topic and there are perversions in any system, there are definitely biases in peer reviewed medicine, but by and large, no, if it works it will be tested and used and profited from. There are edge cases in everything, but call me when you go to the TCM doctor for your cancer or your broken leg, basically.

I have a ton of patience for criticism of the existing systems within the confines of how they work (or don't), but none for anti-scientific nonsense.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Telsa Cola posted:

Cool, so am I. You are not understanding what I am saying. Traditional medicine in a quite a few cases is actual, scientifically supported medicine, but because its in the form of a tea or a poultice or whatever it gets labeled as bullshit. This is extremely problematic. Things like rhino horn, tiger penis etc etc is verifiable bullshit chemically, I 100% agree.

To address the second part, people go to traditional healers all the loving time for things like cancer and broken limbs because for certain communities (Native Americans are a huge one) their concepts of health and wellness often times rely on those types healing in order to feel and be well. Now often times they go to both a doctor and a traditional healer but problems come up when they dont have access to traditional side of things.

Its a huge focus of study in medical anthro because suprise suprise white doctors often dont give a poo poo what minority patients think or feel.
Cool. And you are not understanding what I am saying, which is then it becomes peer-reviewed and then it becomes medicine. This is not debatable.

\/\/ perfect example.