Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Oh yes, this game. This was my first Advance Wars, and oh boy can it be a challenge to beat, even with the Normal Campaign. Can't wait to see you tear this one apart!

Are you going to mention the Design Maps glitch that allows you to pretty much instantly win any mission? It also allows you to save Campaign missions as Design Maps, which is also pretty cool (nonstandard map sizes!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

I think I'd vaguely heard of that, but I've never tried it out and wouldn't really want to now. Maybe if I get hopelessly stuck attempting AC.

I'd send this in a PM, but I don't have Platinum, so this will have to do. Spoiler references a later Field Training mission.

For the Design Maps glitch, play the Field Training mission "Naval Forces" and then lose the T. Copter on purpose. Then, go to Design Maps, plop down an infantry, then delete it and watch the game flip out. You're in the normal mode AND Design Maps mode at the same time! Load your Campaign/War Room/whatever and edit to your heart's content! You can clear maps on the first turn, spawn a ton of Bombers and even save Campaign maps to a Design Maps slot. It's a bit finicky to control, but totally worth trying at least once. It doesn't corrupt the game or anything like that, so feel free to use it however you want.

Can't wait to see you handle some of the later missions!

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
With the more subdued CO Powers in this game Grit got quite lucky with that +2 range. You'd almost expect it to be +1, but that's Intelligent Systems for you.

I got this messed up map by deliberately screwing around with saving a battle in Design Maps mode via the Design Maps glitch: this puts the save into the Field Training slot. The result: http://i.imgur.com/JYeAH.png

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Max is obviously the best choice! :black101:

I'm thinking about doing a mini-update on the Design Maps glitch, since you've passed Naval Forces(the mission that holds the glitch), would this be OK, Paul.Power? Since you've passed that mission, it doesn't spoil anything anymore.

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
The Design Maps Glitch Part 1: Introduction

Stuck on a challenging Campaign map? Want to obliterate Olaf with a bunch of Bombers? Edit the very map itself? This glitch allows you to do that, and much more!

This training mission is the one that sets it up.

The key is ignoring this, feed that copter to the wolves! (Or in this case, the cruiser)

(It seemed appropriate)

I don't think this has been showed off yet, the letters even bounce, just like your GBA does when you hurl it across the room when you lose. (I don't do this)

Ignore the name "Baer", that's the name that the save file I grabbed had. Head into here.

Place an infantry and delete it...

:aaaaa: This is it, and just look at how messed up the interface is. The game thinks that you're in a battle, but also in Design Maps at the same time!

Saving via the battle menu plops the save into Field Training, which has some interesting side effects. But let's take the fight to Olaf now with our new god powers! :black101:

The main menu's pretty messed up too...

Also the only time you'll see that "Continue" next to Field Training.

Starting the Campaign, and things are even messed up here! It continues off-center like this.

You said it, Olaf.

Pressing START on this screen resulted in this as I was trying to hurry it up.

Here we are in the main map, and the first thing I do as a basic way to show this off is to bury Olaf in bombers. It works the same way you do in Design Maps, just be careful not to accidentally push "End" or anything like that. If you do, well...

Olaf actually gets to take his turn! :sigh:

Plopping a Bomber down while a Tank was attacking resulted in this: the Bomber got to counter the Tank's inaction!

Then Andy operates on AI control...

And then after that I got control again, a bit of a setback but nothing major. After editing the units/terrain to whatever you want, simply save and reset.

Go back in and things are normal again! Normal, except for whatever changes you made!

Two days later... (I didn't have quite enough Bombers to nuke him all in one day)

Still a perfect S-Rank, though. What else would you expect from a massive army of Bombers?

Going back to that Field Training save I made at the beginning we open it up to find...

:pwn:

Bombers can't even fly over these tiles! Pressing R on one of these tiles results in...

"Out"... I wonder if it's just a placeholder, or if a tile like this was going to be used somewhere... Going down, well...

This one's a bit different. Press R on it at all, and...

That, and a loud screeching noise!

But of course, that not all you can do with this. Let's just say it isn't called the Design Maps glitch for nothing!

Next time: We make maps of all different sizes

ultimateluigi987 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 29, 2012

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Better safe than sorry with Andy.

I've never played this one either!

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Andy, the dialogue's calling AND we don't want to make this easy on you! :getin:

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Design Maps Glitch Part 2: Maps of all different sizes

Ask anyone who's played any three of the Wars World Advance Wars games about Design Maps and they'll tell you that there's only one size, 30x20. This is quite bad for AW1 in particular because there's no way to block spaces like pipes in AW2 and AWDS. Fortunately, the Design Maps glitch can fix this problem.

Mission 2, first time you... what (I edited it beforehand)

Much like you can edit buildings in the normal Design Maps, you can edit them in campaign maps, too. Kanbei (?) in particular shows off his excellent base acquisition skills and gets a landlocked port.

Only in the glitched Design Maps mode can you get units on top of each other, and yes, this can happen with enemy units.

Now, is Kanbei really here? Or is it...

...Nell, what are you doing here? And why can I attack you?

Maybe Eagle's decided to invade Blue Moon?

:aaaaa: She isn't moving her forces, so let's capture her HQ to see what's going on-

Yes, we have 2 HQs now. But why stop at two?

Now we have three! But what does this have to do with designing maps?

While I was in the glitch mode, I saved the map in a Design Maps slot, and going back to it results in an editable 18x12 map! You can't do this normally until Days of Ruin, so this glitch can be quite handy!

Taking the glitch to VS to see what the default COs are there, it isn't as interesting as it was in Campaign.

Olaf for Yellow Comet...

And Sami for Green Earth. These are also default if you start a 4-player map normally.

One glitch later, I decide to put a larger than normal map in and save it. What happens afterwards?

Glitches abound! Even trying to select or press R on any of these freezes the game!

These in particular can't be attacked at all...

And these two never crash and burn, despite their lack of fuel. After ending my turn, I find out that Max has a normal Md. Tank. What does he do with it?

:what: Typical AI...

Glitchtanks aren't very sturdy, but their main attribute is resetting the game when attacked. Not crashing, resetting. Why don't we attack one of those Recons on the sea?

:pwn: It still gets damaged, but the tide sweeps them off the screen...

Oddly enough, the AI can attack my Glitchtillery near his HQ, and it actually plays an animation correct! Yeah, right, Md. Tanks aren't that weak.

The unit screen is even messed up!

I think I've covered just about everything you can do with this, I think the only thing that's left is to crack jokes about the Campaign with it. So I leave you with a shot of Olaf's Tank getting swept away.

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Design Maps Glitch Part 2.5: Random Glitch Units

I experimented a bit more with my newfound ability to glitch large maps, and I think the results were pretty funny at times. I hope this doesn't make this page too image-heavy... :ohdear:

This is something I never thought was possible, until I stumbled into this. The turn order really does go like that ingame! Usable for a mock campaign, maybe?

Meet the Wockacopter, a copter that has massive amounts of ammo, CO meter and fuel, but can't do anything with them. How much CO meter?

The GIF actually doesn't show Olaf's original power meter :cripes:, but his power meter was empty before launching this attack. Gotta love glitch units!

Hilariously enough, this behaves like an APC in every respect: it takes damage like one, has the move sprite of one, it resupplies... but it can't move. The armor doesn't even do anything!

This one is just plain invincible, how boring... (There's also one that's classified as an Md. Tank, but has no fuel or ammo. It's invincible too. How are they invincible? You can't attack them at all!)

This seems a bit unfair. Just a bit.

Unfortunately, this froze the game. The blue G-Copter (what, it's a glitch T-Copter) is that "infantry" from the previous image.

That's it for now, I'll poke around the game's map with this some more, but if I could get my hands on a save that has all the maps in the game unlocked, I'd be able to find more...

ultimateluigi987 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 24, 2012

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
I can't remember for the life of me where I found this, but let's have an IntSys crossover to interrupt all of this pupil mangling. It obviously isn't mine, but if anyone could find the source I'd happily credit them.

EDIT: Apparently it's by ~x0triple0, off DeviantArt of all things. Still don't know exactly when I stumbled upon it, but hey, there you go.

http://x0triple0.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Emblem-Wars-144030341

Kudos for Alien Arcana for finding the source!

ultimateluigi987 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
An interesting TAS came to my attention, one that really shows off just how powerful the Design Maps glitch really is. And really, it's kind of funny to see Normal Campaign beaten in only 17 days. Paul, since you've beaten the campaign already there shouldn't be any spoilers, but if there somehow are, just tell me and I'll take the link down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzbAP8ATfV4

• Locked thread