Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«260 »
Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Parts Kit posted:

Very much wanting an Izhmash toggle bolt at the moment. We'll have to see if I can sell some stuff on the classifieds or gunbroker.
http://centerfiresystems.com/IZ-144.aspx

I went by and picked mine up today, really seems to be a nice rifle. If you go by in person, they'll let you paw through a couple and pick out the one you want. Fitment is pretty decent, and the finish is Russian, but pretty nice. Everything's covered in grease for now, but I'm going to break it apart and clean it good this evening. The action's really slick, by the way I'll get a box thread up this weekend once I get some time to do it and some glass mounted on it and get to shoot it. It came with a cleaning rod and kit, extra mag, and an oil bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm on a levergun kick again. My local grampaw gun mecca has a few used Winchester 94s - a pre-64 that's pretty clean other than the receiver finish turning brown for $700; another pre-64 that is fairly scratched up but has a tang peep sight for $650; and a post-64 AE in great shape for $450.

I see even beat to hell 94s on GB going for $800+, so I'm tempted to grab one. But I'm getting married in two weeks and just bought another gun and aughghghghffph

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

I'm on a levergun kick again. My local grampaw gun mecca has a few used Winchester 94s - a pre-64 that's pretty clean other than the receiver finish turning brown for $700; another pre-64 that is fairly scratched up but has a tang peep sight for $650; and a post-64 AE in great shape for $450.

I see even beat to hell 94s on GB going for $800+, so I'm tempted to grab one. But I'm getting married in two weeks and just bought another gun and aughghghghffph

I wish I had bought all the Winchesters and Marlins the old Fudd shop here had for $150 each.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I am drooling over the new production run Yugo Toks. Want one so bad

Edit for non dealer picture.

LunarShadow fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2013 around 19:48

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

LunarShadow posted:

I am drooling over the new production run Yugo Toks. Want one so bad

Edit: Pic fixed.

Nomad175 fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2013 around 19:59

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Uncle Caveman posted:

I've never handled the pre-64 guns, are they like comparing a pre-model # Smith to a post model? I really like my post-64 that belonged to Grandpa.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Uncle Caveman posted:

I actually picked up a pre-64 '94 today. One of the guys that works at my local shop called me and said he had a friend that was short on cash and needed to pay some bills, and needed to sell it this weekend. It's got a couple marks on the forend, and a minor, but well-done split repair to it as well, but I got it for $400. Supposedly dates to 1940, but I haven't checked it yet. It's in 30 WCF , and has the smoothest, least loosey 94 action I've ever felt, even better than my other pre-64. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow.

Also, shot the Izmash today. Surprisingly good trigger, groups very well at 50 yards. These things would make excellent small varmint rifles, and are a great deal for the price. Box thread tomorrow when I have time to take some pics.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I've never handled the pre-64 guns, are they like comparing a pre-model # Smith to a post model? I really like my post-64 that belonged to Grandpa.

Pretty much, plus a longevity thing. Post-64, they went to stamped metal for a lot of internal bits like lifters and whatnot, and rolled pins instead of solid ones. Basically, they started cutting corners for cost savings instead of hand-fitting everything.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Pre '64 '94 sitting 20' from where I am now. They are everything they are said to be.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I've never handled the pre-64 guns...
Yeah, as mentioned it's more of a "this is really neat" kind of thing. Post-64 Winchesters (despite what grumpy old guys say) aren't necessarily bad guns, it's just that prior to that there was a lot more detail-work put into them.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's in 30 WCF
And honestly, that little marking is a big reason I like the older models.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yeah, as mentioned it's more of a "this is really neat" kind of thing. Post-64 Winchesters (despite what grumpy old guys say) aren't necessarily bad guns, it's just that prior to that there was a lot more detail-work put into them.

I had this post-64 Model 94 Classic, and it was a beautiful rifle, and a fine gun. It would have taken thousands and thousands of rounds before you would have had to go through the horror of having to change out some roll pins and maybe a lifter. It's not like they're gonna spontaneously explode or something. That said, you can definitely tell a difference, and I ended up selling this one, even though it had the octagon barrel I love so much. Eventually, I'll end up with a pre-64 with a 18" octagon barrel, and then I'll be at peace.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

A possibly stupid question, but I know nothing about Winchester history: what happened in 1964 to affect the quality/desirability of guns?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

A possibly stupid question, but I know nothing about Winchester history: what happened in 1964 to affect the quality/desirability of guns?

Four posts up dude:

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Post-64, they went to stamped metal for a lot of internal bits like lifters and whatnot, and rolled pins instead of solid ones. Basically, they started cutting corners for cost savings instead of hand-fitting everything.

As far as I've heard the post-64 rifles aren't really any worse than a pre-64, they just didn't have the same level of fit and finish.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Beardless posted:

Four posts up dude:

This is what happens when your eyes are continuously lured down the page by pretty pictures.

To contribute, I want this pretty much NIB 3-Screw Super Single Six with both LR and Magnum cylinders on GunBroker but my gun money is currently going towards an Uzi build. 3-Screws will always be on GunBroker, fully finished and welded Uzi receivers and semi-bolts only come around in small batches every 4-6 months, but drat this auction ticks every little box for me, including the original box .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=367631872

Someone here buy it so I can buy it from you later.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2013 around 01:28

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=370452161

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Just gonna repeat this. I wish I had money for guns

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

LunarShadow posted:

Just gonna repeat this. I wish I had money for guns

Never enough money man. Never enough.

I want that gun, and I don't. I really want a gun with the King Super Target treatment, but I kind of don't want to start in on old Colts. I think I will probably hold out and save my pennies for a S&W Super Target.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

God I miss having pretty much that exact gun. At least I get to shoot it this weekend.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

A bit up, someone mentioned the new production Tokarevs from Zastava.

Yeah, they are pretty nice for the money. They are factory new, so no worries about corroded bores or wornout parts. Also though yes they have a safety, its a factory installed one and made with the slide, so it actually...you know...works.
The downsides are that they aren't C&R, and don't have the neato Yugo crest on them.
M57 = 7.62x25mm
M70A = 9mm
M88A = Compact 9mm

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

I want this

but without the ugly brake and with a swiss three prong hider instead

genola
Apr 7, 2011

Right now I want a Ruger Single Six, but I think I'm going to wait until the local gunshow comes in a few weeks before I pull the trigger on one(I'll also get my paycheck by then). What do you think are my chances at getting something around the same price as something online?

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I want a snubbieof some sort; either a sp101 or something in 44mag for plinking and sometimes carry.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I have found my white whale.

Left testicle and all that.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

LunarShadow posted:

I have found my white whale.

Left testicle and all that.

Is that a winchester 92? (or 95, can't remember). Did it really have abayo lug?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Looks like a military Winchester 1895 and yeah bayonet lugs were still all the rage back then! Is that what would be called a musket style lever action? I know I've seen some 1873s that look kind of odd and were called "musket rifles" or something similar. Can't remember if they had bayonet lugs or not though.

Right now the top of my list is still the Mauser C96. Soon, I swear. Soon.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Dalaram posted:

Is that a winchester 92? (or 95, can't remember). Did it really have abayo lug?

Winchester 1895, Imperial Russian contract in 7.62x54R with bayonet lug and Mosin stripper clip guides.

I want one too.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Why couldn't Russia make millions of those instead of Mosins?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Duckboat posted:

Why couldn't Russia make millions of those instead of Mosins?

Because Russia doesn't produce nice guns?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I want Red Skelton's boxed Renaissance Browning pistol box set, with hand-written note warning people not to gently caress with his guns.

Same seller's auctioning more guns from Red's collection for his widow, apparently. I'm seriously thinking about bidding on the Mauser Patrone.

Or this Sako L461 in 17 Mach IV...drat, Red Skelton had some drat nice guns.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at Oct 24, 2013 around 02:09

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I want Red Skelton's boxed Renaissance Browning pistol box set, with hand-written note warning people not to gently caress with his guns.

Same seller's auctioning more guns from Red's collection for his widow, apparently. I'm seriously thinking about bidding on the Mauser Patrone.

Or this Sako L461 in 17 Mach IV...drat, Red Skelton had some drat nice guns.

Red Skelton's Mauser Patrone?

That's a hell of a thing to own really, especially if you have the provenance with it. I'd suggest you go for it.

Right this instant I want this: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?...e1b524a59dcfeb4

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at Oct 24, 2013 around 06:32

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Red Skelton's Mauser Patrone?

That's a hell of a thing to own really, especially if you have the provenance with it. I'd suggest you go for it.

That's what I thought. You get a letter from his widow, with the gun's serial number and description attesting that it's being sold from his collection, plus on the Patrone, there's this.

Only downside is that it's missing the magazine. Wonder how hard it is to find a Patrone magazine....

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

That's what I thought. You get a letter from his widow, with the gun's serial number and description attesting that it's being sold from his collection, plus on the Patrone, there's this.

Only downside is that it's missing the magazine. Wonder how hard it is to find a Patrone magazine....

Super easy, they are usually about 15-20 bucks each. The magazine has been used in a variety of guns since then, just look for MAS 45 magazines.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Oh hell, thanks for that tidbit. Just found a bunch on ebay. I'm bidding on that sucker right now.

Man, Red had a thing for wildcat Sako's, apparently. He's got several in odd 17-caliber's with funky stocks and engraving all over them. The only relatively plain-jane guns for sale are the Mauser and a older grade 1 BL-22.

Also, this engraved Beretta 421, which is kinda tempting, in a gold Deagle sort of way.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Oh hell, thanks for that tidbit. Just found a bunch on ebay. I'm bidding on that sucker right now.

Man, Red had a thing for wildcat Sako's, apparently. He's got several in odd 17-caliber's with funky stocks and engraving all over them. The only relatively plain-jane guns for sale are the Mauser and a older grade 1 BL-22.

Also, this engraved Beretta 421, which is kinda tempting, in a gold Deagle sort of way.

I can't access gunbroker right now. Any chance there are any revolvers? It would kind of rule to own a S&W that was red skeltons.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I can't access gunbroker right now. Any chance there are any revolvers? It would kind of rule to own a S&W that was red skeltons.

There's a boxed set of 2 Colt Civil War Centennial .22lr revolvers with a $506 bid currently with 12 hours left, and an Italian replica of a Walker .44 with custom grips with a $500 bid with 13 hours left.

Colts.

Repro Walker.

The only other pistols were a single Hi Power Renaissance and the Beretta. Buncha rifles, though.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Ingraving must look nice because to the touch, it sure feels tacky as hell.

But i agree, a firearm from Red Skelton would be nifty just because.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...l.html?Itemid=0

I have a boner for this gun and I can't wait to rip up some brass in it. Looks like I'm a few months away from having the funds though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

There's a boxed set of 2 Colt Civil War Centennial .22lr revolvers with a $506 bid currently with 12 hours left

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Kinda want them .22 revolvers but its too big a hassle to get em transferred. God speed fellow goons.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Eh, the Colt revolvers are a super disappointment. I looked 'em up just to see a rough book value, and it turns out they're actually single shot pistols that just look like revolvers. No actual turning revolvery mechanisms at all. t Colt. Buncha jerks. Woulda been awesome break-top .22 short dueling revolvers. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Eh, the Colt revolvers are a super disappointment. I looked 'em up just to see a rough book value, and it turns out they're actually single shot pistols that just look like revolvers. No actual turning revolvery mechanisms at all. t Colt. Buncha jerks. Woulda been awesome break-top .22 short dueling revolvers. Dammit.

Lame. I thought they were functioning revolvers, but even so they'd be a pain in the butt to load or unload, being the 1851 style action.

«260 »