Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Bit hard to find older ones with the high polish blue. The satin finish was standard up until the early 1960s. You could get high polish, but the majority of guns from the post war era there are satin blue.

You should get yourself a K38 though, they are really fantastic guns.

When you say K38, I assume you mean a pre-model number correct? When I look for the K38s I get a bunch of jerks saying "K38 Target Masterpiece 14-3!" It saddens me that the high polish blue will be harder to find, but this is a shooting and thinkin gun not a lookin gun

Maybe I should look for a Combat Masterpiece. The 4" barrel seems like it would be perfect for what I want to do with it.

(silly 15-4)

This is a long time off unfortunately. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 686.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

When you say K38, I assume you mean a pre-model number correct? When I look for the K38s I get a bunch of jerks saying "K38 Target Masterpiece 14-3!" It saddens me that the high polish blue will be harder to find, but this is a shooting and thinkin gun not a lookin gun

Maybe I should look for a Combat Masterpiece. The 4" barrel seems like it would be perfect for what I want to do with it.

(silly 15-4)

This is a long time off unfortunately. I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 686.

Pre Model is just me being lazy.

You will like any Post War Pre-Model 14 or 15 or any model variations up to -2 for both of them, the 14 and 15 - 2s stopped in 67, right when things started to get slightly more iffy.

I've molested a lot more guns since I started on this S&W thing and I can safely say that the stuff up through the mid 60s was pretty great. Some people say 61 is the cut off for the truely great guns, and I wouldn't disagree.

In my mind you sort of have distinct periods of time, starting:

'96 to about '02 when they were just figuring hand ejectors out.

Then from '02 up through the 1920s, excellent guns but built for people with tiny hands and eagle eyes. The Ladysmith sort of epitomizes this period of time for me. Amazing, but oh so silly.

The depression through the war when the guns were amazing quality due to the time spent by skilled hands, but with more interesting innovations and features.

The post war period from '46 to '61, a golden age for shooters. Quality and features converged upon an an economic boom to produce probably the best shooters that ever came out of the factory, all things considered.

'61 to '67ish is a bit hazy. It seems like the quality was still excellent, but the boom time stuff was sort of over and they were making more premium guns standard again. High polish finishes and what not.

The 70's, 80's are sort of unknowns to me. I mean, I carry a gun from '85 and it is fantastic. Here I think it's just a matter of knowing what true greatness is (a gun from the 30's will give you a reference point) and deciding for yourself.

Then there was some spot int he 90's before the lock where they were making great guns. I've held some .44s from the mid 90's and a Ladysmith Model 36 that were really phenomenal guns. Again though, its not really what I am focused on, and I have nothing more then a few bits of experience here.

The lawyer lock period through the present: S&W is like that junky nephew with a genius IQ who could be doing amazing things, but doesnt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I really want a K38 with a target trigger, target hammer, and high polish blue. Something like this 14-3 but older.

Who am I joking, I'd gladly take a nice old model 14 or 15 with the previously mentioned options.
I'm really glad I purchased my 1956 pre-14 K38 Heavy Masterpiece. It has the heavy barrel, target trigger, target hammer and target grips along with a high polish blue. I originally felt I may have overpaid for it but it's such a great revolver and so much cheaper than the same vintage .357s.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Yuns posted:

I'm really glad I purchased my 1956 pre-14 K38 Heavy Masterpiece. It has the heavy barrel, target trigger, target hammer and target grips along with a high polish blue. I originally felt I may have overpaid for it but it's such a great revolver and so much cheaper than the same vintage .357s.

You didn't overpay at all.

I'm pretty certain there's no possible way you could ever upgrade that gun. I think it has everything you could want on a pre-14, plus they used a really drat nice piece of walnut for the stocks.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=398143816

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2014 around 03:36

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

I want all the guns from this auction, especially the drilling. Now off to find a sitter so I can waste 2 hours watching fudds pay over retail on everything

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/a...4281&category=0

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

http://smith-wessonforum.com/access...as-layaway.html

But I can't justify the price.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

L@@k!

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

That eagle looks like a winged nutsack and a dick with a beak.

EASILY worth 999$.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Nobody can convince me that isn't EXACTLY what I'm looking at.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

Nobody can convince me that isn't EXACTLY what I'm looking at.

Why do you guys think I want it so bad?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sixgun please recommend some dope rear end grips for my 10-7, the houges on them now may have been perfect for plainclothes work in 1986 but I want something classy but functional.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Aside from being ivory, those kind of look like lovely garbage. Why on earth $1000? I'm not trying to poo poo on things you like. I'm genuinely asking why they're valued so high when (to me) they look pretty crude and amateurish.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Because they're real ivory. Even being total crap, there's a finite supply.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

Shithead Deluxe posted:

EASILY worth 999$.

Oh thank loving god I'm not the only one who saw thar

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Propagandalf posted:

Because they're real ivory. Even being total crap, there's a finite supply.

Also, they aren't actually worth that much. At least, I doubt he will sell them at that price.

Ivory magnas are pretty rare, the USMC connection and age both increase the value. I bet these are still worth 500-700 currently. Someone who doesn't see the cock'n'ballseagle will probably buy them from this guy.

I want them because, gently caress, cock'n'balleagle rules. Not, like, 1k rules, like find them in a grip box for $20 rules.

Speaking of wanting something, but something I will never pay for: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=398753102

As neat as they are they command a price that is just stupid. If you guys want to see something truly insane watch that auction, and keep in mind, all that is is a pre model 14 chambered in .32 Long. That's the only difference, what cartridge it was built for.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2014 around 04:11

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Speaking of wanting something, but something I will never pay for: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=398753102

As neat as they are they command a price that is just stupid. If you guys want to see something truly insane watch that auction, and keep in mind, all that is is a pre model 14 chambered in .32 Long. That's the only difference, what cartridge it was built for.

Yep, that one cropped up on my saved searchsd today too. I really want a k-32 to "complete" my 6" blued K-frames, but I know they also go for $1500+

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Dalaram posted:

Yep, that one cropped up on my saved searchsd today too. I really want a k-32 to "complete" my 6" blued K-frames, but I know they also go for $1500+

bet you this one goes for well over 2k, maybe as high as 3.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

I really need to stop looking at .22 LR S&Ws. I want all of them. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=397147107

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

DakianDelomast posted:

I really need to stop looking at .22 LR S&Ws. I want all of them. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=397147107

That barrel looks cut down, if it shipped as a 4" the text should be centered on it.

Then again, I don't really know what the factory was up to at that point. Weird gun to be certain.

Also: never stop looking at .22lr S&Ws. They rule.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

bet you this one goes for well over 2k, maybe as high as 3.
I like how it started at one penny and was over $500 by the third bid. 8 bids in, and it's $1950.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

I like how it started at one penny and was over $500 by the third bid. 8 bids in, and it's $1950.

Yeah, my 3k estimate may be low, this one is nice enough that it may set a bit of a record.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Polish TT-33 clone in .22. Uses the same mags as the Tokarev, with an interesting solution to keeping the .22s in the mag.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

I wonder how much of a bitch it is to extract the .22 cases from those sleeves after firing.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wonder how much of a bitch it is to extract the .22 cases from those sleeves after firing.

Probably just punch them out with a rod, pretty easy I would imagine.

Still dumb and pointless.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

I had a dream that I owned a CMP Garand. And it felt pretty good.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Still dumb and pointless.

This is what I love about it.

Sperglord Actual
Nov 27, 2011

infrared35 posted:

I had a dream that I owned a CMP Garand. And it felt pretty good.

I had that dream once. Then I made the mistake of making it reality.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Mistake?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Has anyone handled the Remington R51 yet? Apparently they exist in the wild and I've been thinking about tracking one down.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

I have a problem.

All the guns I want now are lots of money, and my basement is leaking a bit. Going to be a while until I can have another gun.

This instant though, I'm wanting a this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-SotSHFNcc

Bad

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

You and your silly reflector King sights.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The concept of a king reflector sights is A+++ #1 good poo poo. I really reaaaally wish i had that poo poo.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

That barrel looks cut down, if it shipped as a 4" the text should be centered on it.

Then again, I don't really know what the factory was up to at that point. Weird gun to be certain.

Also: never stop looking at .22lr S&Ws. They rule.

Yep, it's cut down alright. The box is also wrong. The Model 17 is the K-22 Masterpiece. The Model 18 is the Combat Masterpiece and it would have a 4" barrel.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Aiiiiie

http://www.gunsinternational.com/po...0415277-1-L.jpg

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

I know, I've never wanted a Broomhandle Mauser so badly.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

That grip turns it from an Indiana Jones type gun into some kind of retro space gun. It's just...mesmerizing.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

My first link was wrong

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Fa...un_id=100415277

there's more pictures.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

SpartanIV posted:

That grip turns it from an Indiana Jones type gun into some kind of retro space gun. It's just...mesmerizing.

Zoomhandle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sperglord Actual posted:

I bought someone else's CMP Garand first thing out of high school. One of the better decisions I have ever made

I have a burning urge for an M1 carbine in 45 Winchester magnum, right now.

«257 »