Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Has anyone handled the Remington R51 yet? Apparently they exist in the wild and I've been thinking about tracking one down.

I've thought about it, but the few reviews I've seen aren't too promising. And the take down looks incredibly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

snotball007 posted:

I've thought about it, but the few reviews I've seen aren't too promising. And the take down looks incredibly difficult.

I know a goon or two handled them at Shot show and posted a few words in the thread. They weren't available to BE shot at Shot show's media day, either, despite being shot by people at earlier dates, which doesn't bode well for its current iteration's reliability. It's also much bigger than they led us to believe in their early marketing.

Kaliber
Jun 16, 2005

Opinions on this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=398362164

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Looks like a fantastic pre-14. Sixgun could tell you more if he sees it.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Currently on the hunt for a <$300 Remington 870. I really don't know why...

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Hit up Summit Gun Broker?

http://summitgunbroker.com/870-llw.html
http://summitgunbroker.com/870-em.html

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

I've been looking at those for a few days. Was hoping for something to pop up locally. I kind-of want to get this w/o credit card, kind of "off the books" of the wife and since I have $300 cash in my hand. Picky I know, but those are not off my radar. Academy had ones up for $289, but when I went to peek they were sold out completely...of all shotguns.

Those don't look to have the removable chokes hmmm.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

hagie posted:

I've been looking at those for a few days. Was hoping for something to pop up locally. I kind-of want to get this w/o credit card, kind of "off the books" of the wife and since I have $300 cash in my hand. Picky I know, but those are not off my radar. Academy had ones up for $289, but when I went to peek they were sold out completely...of all shotguns.

Those don't look to have the removable chokes hmmm.

You do realize you can change that cash in to a money order and send that to summit.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

Yes I understand that. However from 730am-530pm I am locked down at my job where I am the only employee. And I'm not about to ask my wife to do the errand.

I went through the whole credit union thing and they hosed up my application so it's savings only instead of checking only, and want to charge some extra fee to open up a checking only.

My birthday is up this week so I might sit on my cash and see where it gets me.

ChuckDeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

"For god's sake, man! Can you hear that? I know it seems like crying, and you always have crying in your head, but can you hear that?"

I am dangerously close to bidding on this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...=396664945#PIC.. I know it's not smart, but drat it, I'm tempted to have my first gun purchase be as ludicrous as possible.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Grips are wrong.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I am dangerously close to bidding on this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...=396664945#PIC.. I know it's not smart, but drat it, I'm tempted to have my first gun purchase be as ludicrous as possible.

Don't. Those are made by Umarex who also make airsoft guns and their real guns are similar in quality, Walther just licensed their name to be used on the product. Get something like a 10/22 for your first gun.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Pictures aren't good enough to tell anything except that the grips are wrong for some reason. Hell I can't even tell if its a reblue from those pictures. I'd pass on that one.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

It does look like a reblue though. Dishing around screw holes and softening of the edges. Grips are wrong, like others have said.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

hagie posted:

Yes I understand that. However from 730am-530pm I am locked down at my job where I am the only employee. And I'm not about to ask my wife to do the errand.

I went through the whole credit union thing and they hosed up my application so it's savings only instead of checking only, and want to charge some extra fee to open up a checking only.

Go to a Wal-Mart, supermarket, convenience store, or something. It's not like getting a money order locks you in to dealing with banker's hours.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

big_dilli posted:

It does look like a reblue though. Dishing around screw holes and softening of the edges. Grips are wrong, like others have said.

I agree, reblue is my gut reaction to it. On the other hand it could just be really bad pictures.

If it were like $250 or $300 I would say take the gamble on it. Coming up on $600 after getting it to you? No, just buy one with better pictures.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Save the gimmick poo poo guns for later if you like, you deserve better now.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

darnon posted:

Go to a Wal-Mart, supermarket, convenience store, or something. It's not like getting a money order locks you in to dealing with banker's hours.

Didn't realize Walmart does that. That's a start.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

hagie posted:

Didn't realize Walmart does that. That's a start.

poo poo, Walmart has their own bank now, or at least they contract with someone to have an in-house bank. It seems like about half of the Walmarts around here have little bank branches in them, next to the eye doctor and the Subway.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

I honestly avoid Walmart like the plague. I can't hardly find what I want and when I do, it's likely been opened already.

One day I wanted to inquire about getting a NC hunting license and there was only this 70 year old woman looking confused, so I passed.

ChuckDeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

"For god's sake, man! Can you hear that? I know it seems like crying, and you always have crying in your head, but can you hear that?"

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Don't. Those are made by Umarex who also make airsoft guns and their real guns are similar in quality, Walther just licensed their name to be used on the product. Get something like a 10/22 for your first gun.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that! I doubt my first purchase is going to be a gimmick that I've never seen/fondled in person before, I'm just endlessly amused by brazenly dumb ideas. I plan to consult TFR when I get serious about purchasing something down the line, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GamingGarbage

hagie posted:

I honestly avoid Walmart like the plague. I can't hardly find what I want and when I do, it's likely been opened already.

One day I wanted to inquire about getting a NC hunting license and there was only this 70 year old woman looking confused, so I passed.

The differences store to store can be goddamned mind blowing. The one nearest to me is actually pretty nice. It's clean, well organized, the staff seem to give a poo poo, and people actually know where things are if you ask them.

The one over on 15/501 between Chapel Hill and Durham constantly looked like it had been looted half an hour earlier back when I lived in that area.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

Very true. In Charlotte most of the stores are nice, with the exception of the one at the Arboretum. It was a staple store when the place was built 25 or so years ago, and they just haven't updated it. Now down towards where I live in Fort Mill, there is a super Walmart, but largest issue the age old finding some one to assist/open the case etc.

And that store has 3 trillion check out counters but runs about 4 all the time.

I am considering putting the $300 back in my account and just buy it. I mean what is she going to do? Completely stop having sex with me? haha...I'm so alone...

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

OH MAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME PENS

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Don't mean to derail, but just talk to her about it. Just be like my birthday's coming up, and I have this money, and I really want to get this shotgun. This is coming from someone who's getting divorced after about 7 years.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Cyrano4747 posted:

The differences store to store can be goddamned mind blowing. The one nearest to me is actually pretty nice. It's clean, well organized, the staff seem to give a poo poo, and people actually know where things are if you ask them.

The one over on 15/501 between Chapel Hill and Durham constantly looked like it had been looted half an hour earlier back when I lived in that area.
I'm pretty sure it boils down to the management. I worked there for several years and it was an alright job. I never even saw the spooky cult stuff (their only framed picture of Sam Walton was off in a dusty corner). The one in the next town over was a nightmare.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GamingGarbage

I've said this before but the key to guns + marriage is to build a FIRM divide between "household money" and "gun money." Seriously. Don't deposit money from gun sales etc. into the general checking account and don't buy guns from your general/shared funds. Ideally you both should have a small, independent account for you to do whatever the gently caress you want with. It just avoids all kinds of arguing over financial matters. Agree on a monthly amount of fuckaround cash for each of you to get auto-transfered to those accounts. She wants some silly expensive purse or whatever? Fine, she can buy it with her discretionary account. You want a new gun? Same thing. Sell a gun? Deposit that poo poo into your separate gently caress-around account.

Trying to do "off the books" transactions or hiding gun purchases or whatever is just bad news backwards and forwards.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

I am exaggerating a little. Most likely I will get an eye-roll and a question on whether I really needed another gun. Not marriage ending type things.

I tried the discretionary account thing and like I said, ran into an issue with the bank, and didn't want to keep dropping $25 here and there to "fix" it.

I'll most likely get one of those from summit on a credit card, get the points for it, then deposit the cash and pay it off. I don't care about the stock condition, I just need to make sure that the parts I have left over will fit it no problem.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

This is the fifth thread I've seen Walmart mentioned in today in TFR. You guys aren't exactly dispelling any stereotypes.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Has anyone handled the Remington R51 yet? Apparently they exist in the wild and I've been thinking about tracking one down.

I did, weeks and weeks ago - but it was one of the prototypes, not a production gun, and I didn't get to shoot it. They do exist in the wild, though, because Remington just started shipping them.

What questions do you have? If it's something I can answer I'll take a crack at it.

Kaliber
Jun 16, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I agree, reblue is my gut reaction to it. On the other hand it could just be really bad pictures.

If it were like $250 or $300 I would say take the gamble on it. Coming up on $600 after getting it to you? No, just buy one with better pictures.

Have you seen any decent ones on GB?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is the fifth thread I've seen Walmart mentioned in today in TFR. You guys aren't exactly dispelling any stereotypes.

Go soak your head.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Kaliber posted:

Have you seen any decent ones on GB?

Yeah, they come up. That's about what you will expect to pay for a decent one too. Just keep looking.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

What should I expect to pay for an H&K P7, if I were to add them to my potential buy list?

I mean, of course, the cheap surplus ones.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Quickshanks posted:

What should I expect to pay for an H&K P7, if I were to add them to my potential buy list?

I mean, of course, the cheap surplus ones.

What kind of P7?

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I don't know. The cheapest one.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that! I doubt my first purchase is going to be a gimmick that I've never seen/fondled in person before, I'm just endlessly amused by brazenly dumb ideas. I plan to consult TFR when I get serious about purchasing something down the line, though.
If you want a tacticool .22LR that isn't cheap poo poo made by an airsoft company, get a Smith and Wesson M&P15-22. I have one and it is awesome and a ton of fun to shoot.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Kennebago posted:

I did, weeks and weeks ago - but it was one of the prototypes, not a production gun, and I didn't get to shoot it. They do exist in the wild, though, because Remington just started shipping them.

What questions do you have? If it's something I can answer I'll take a crack at it.

The other day I had a wild urge to get the R-51 as a CCW piece. This is way, way, early to be thinking about actually doing this with so little actual performance info, but it is obvious Remington had this in mind for the gun when they designed it. With that usage in mind (and assuming it is not a jamtastic hand grenade) do you think it would measure up? Slim, handles well, etc? I'm also interested in your thoughts on the trigger and the grip safety, since I've heard disparaging things about the trigger.

I'd like Remington to do well here since they are trying something new (with a 99 year old design) but my local gat shop hasn't had any in for me to judge for myself.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Quickshanks posted:

I don't know. The cheapest one.

Cheapest I have seen over the past few years was $650. I rarely see any for less then $850 and up these days, for a PSP that is. The M8/10/13s are all up in the 2k ish range, and forget about a K3.

HK has a bit of a fanatical following, and P7s are rad beyond any sort of sane reasoning. It's a mix that drives the prices up pretty far.

That said, you could theoretically find an old police trade in PSP for a lot less. When they were surplussed out they were on the cheaper side. Some times guys just sell a gun what they paid for it, even if they have had it for 20 years.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

The other day I had a wild urge to get the R-51 as a CCW piece. This is way, way, early to be thinking about actually doing this with so little actual performance info, but it is obvious Remington had this in mind for the gun when they designed it. With that usage in mind (and assuming it is not a jamtastic hand grenade) do you think it would measure up? Slim, handles well, etc? I'm also interested in your thoughts on the trigger and the grip safety, since I've heard disparaging things about the trigger.

I'd like Remington to do well here since they are trying something new (with a 99 year old design) but my local gat shop hasn't had any in for me to judge for myself.

I was told the gun I handled was 30% production parts (frame, slide, I think the grip safety and a couple other things) and 70% not, so take it with a grain of salt.

In terms of size it was like a thinner, much less bricky Glock 19. I wouldn't call it a subcompact at all, but I think it would carry pretty well. I didn't mind the grip safety because it has a very positive feel, and there really wasn't a way to grip the gun and not depress it. It was also fit well to the frame and it wasn't rough at all like TFR's favorite punching bag described on TTAG.

The grip is VERY high relative to the bore, which I liked, and to go back to the G19 comparison I think there's more grip-area-to-height on the R51 so you get more purchase in the same overall space. The trigger is hinged with a trigger bar, so it's not literally lifted from the Pedersen design like I was hoping. The break was good at around 5 pounds or so, no complaints at all, but reset was hard to feel. It made me think of an M&P trigger, but without the mushy DAO striker-gun feel. Reset wasn't horribly long, it was just hard to pick up.

Super easy to rack, though. That part's absolutely true.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Here is a correct size comparison for the R51.

http://imgur.com/tbiMUCm

They are almost exactly the same size as a shield, save for the slightly longer nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

To re-rail this thread.

There's a .38/44 Outdoorsman King Super target for sale and I want it baddddddd.

«257 »