Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

Bummey posted:

Revolver sights always look weird to me. The front blades look way too high for the low rear sights.

It's a different sight picture than you use with most rifles and semi-autos. Notice how the top of the strap lines up with the base of the sight? You line the gun up so that the strap covers the base and the rear notch (if there is one) has the post centered in it. Then you put the post over your target. Where exactly the target sits under your post depends on range/load/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Also, with a gun like that one, the end of the barrel is quite a lot lower then the rear of the frame, and then the adjustable sight brings it up even higher. It's all something that makes a lot more sense when the gun is in your hand then in pictures, especially with these pre-war guns that have no top rib and have really low rear sights.

As to that description of a sight picture, yes, but.

When you ordered a gun like this you would specify what sort of sight picture you wanted. S&W would make it to your specifications. So you could have one with a 6 O'Clock Hold, Center Hold, etc. Whatever wackiness you wanted they would do, especially with a gun such as the one that I am desirous there. You could have a set of sights that have a center hold, which would make the front sight post higher.

If you want to go wacky, as gently caress, there's a set of king sights that I saw that were awesome:

Why you would need to shoot a revolver 500 yards.. bad enough to put sights on it that are set at 500yds is completely beyond me. I'd still love to own such a gun.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Why you would need to shoot a revolver 500 yards..
Well, those eagles aren't going to shoot themselves, are they?

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

I really want a Mateba. I'm not to picky about caliber I'm just so infatuated with the styling of the gun. What should I expect to pay for a shooter ish grade? if I can even find one. last one I saw was mint and went for like 4k

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

iamthehans posted:

I really want a Mateba. I'm not to picky about caliber I'm just so infatuated with the styling of the gun. What should I expect to pay for a shooter ish grade? if I can even find one. last one I saw was mint and went for like 4k

3-4k and ever rising. I've never seen a shooter grade one and a very good condition gun conservatively labeled as 'parts' but probably working went for like 2.5k recently. Sorry

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

iamthehans posted:

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/75 if you're not made of money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

Didn't some guy in Florida corner the market on those in the most hilarious way, or am I thinking of another gun favored by Japanese cartoonists?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Didn't some guy in Florida corner the market on those in the most hilarious way, or am I thinking of another gun favored by Japanese cartoonists?

That was Coltman.cc who was the main importer for a long time and I vaguely remember thinking he was a dickbag but I'm not sure why anymore. When I looked him up I had a couple laughs about people being smug about selling their matebas or otherwise making GBS threads on them like 7-8 years ago. Too bad for them I guess.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Bummey posted:

Revolver sights always look weird to me. The front blades look way too high for the low rear sights.

Here's a fantastic illustration of why that is.

That ramp on the barrel?

That's Flat. That's put there to give you a flat plane to sight along. It really shows you how much lower a tapered barrel end is then the rear of the frame.

By the way, I want that gun bad. A King Super Target Triple Lock? Wowee.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Charter Arms in 40 S&W with some lead bullets and jug of trailboss.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

Putting the ass in class baby

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Here's a fantastic illustration of why that is.

That ramp on the barrel?

That's Flat. That's put there to give you a flat plane to sight along. It really shows you how much lower a tapered barrel end is then the rear of the frame.

By the way, I want that gun bad. A King Super Target Triple Lock? Wowee.

It is (flat)? Doesn't look flat to me, and the front sight looks a bit more countersunk than some of the other Kings I've seen. Anyway, that thing rules.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

wontondestruction posted:

It is (flat)? Doesn't look flat to me, and the front sight looks a bit more countersunk than some of the other Kings I've seen. Anyway, that thing rules.

It's the angle.

Here's an N frame (later gun though) without the rib:

It has a 5" barrel, I think part of why that other king looks so crazy is that the barrel is 6.5 or maybe even 7.5", and it's tapered.

Here's a 6" K frame (so a smaller gun) super target:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

It's flat, but is it level?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

I love it even though it confuses and offends my deep down lizard brain

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Craptacular posted:

Mine are. They sure don't look like it in pictures though.

I think that Triple Lock is probably level too.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Your brain wants to assume those cuts in the rub are in a perfectly horizontal line when really they're on a slight decline due to the taper in the barrel.

I have a 6" .455 barrel I could measure a bit later to give you all an idea on how much the barrels taper.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Yeah, whatever, it's just another boring bolt guWAIT. What's that? What's that little bolt up front?! I need this now.[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAtx-Zv9jg

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A Mauser I actually want.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

iamthehans posted:

Missed your chance about a month back. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13087567

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=455504971

Oh jees, someone put the sights off a K-frame on there.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Quickshanks posted:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=455504971

Oh jees, someone put the sights off a K-frame on there.

That's surprisingly common. I've seen quite a few colts of all types with S&W sights added to them.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Craptacular posted:

Not with the bore axis or the top of the frame. Try holding something with an edge, like an envelope, in front of the screen.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=456798305

It probably sucks immeasurably, but it's so cute looking.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

https://www.joesalter.com/category/...-by-Alvin-White

I'm not generally one for engraved guns, but the fact that the ugliest of all S&Ws could be turned into such a stunning work of art is a testament to Alvin White's skill. I've been nursing along a serious crush for him for a while, so that my have something to do with it, but drat this gun.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

That barrel pin looks kind of knocked out to the left side. I wouldn't have the balls to even want to try knocking it back in.

e: on second look that might be a reflection making it look as if it's poking out more than it is.

Chill Doomhate
Nov 12, 2013

by Shine

Chill Doomhate fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2016 around 20:01

nurabsal
Oct 13, 2012

Kennebago posted:

A longslide PPQ in 9mm.

Appendix holster finally showed up for the standard version and I like it even more now.

Why did I just put one of these on layaway at buds?

Oh, right, this loving thread.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I bought another pistol this morning:

I'm looking forward to it but it's going to be quite some time before I get it and can post a box thread.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Yuns posted:

I'm looking forward to it but it's going to be quite some time before I get it and can post a box thread.

Shiiit, that is nice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yuns posted:

Uuuuuuuuuunf

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

$3300 on Facebook, I want this so bad it hurts

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=456321001

If I had $60k sitting around and a deathwish then I know how I'd be spending my last few days on this Earth.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97394373...ERED-MAGNUM.htm

Terrible photos, wrong grips, modified barrel be damned, that's still a really tempting gun.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OD green Sites Spectre:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=456627302

$750 is totally fair, I just don't have it.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=457758173

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Carbohydrates posted:

OD green Sites Spectre:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=456627302

$750 is totally fair, I just don't have it.

That really looks like a modernized ppsh-43

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

shalafi4 posted:

That really looks like a modernized ppsh-43
It's a really cool gun. DA/SA trigger with a decocker, because Italians. Holds 30 or 50 rounds in quad stack coffin mags. Barrel is fully shrouded and cooled by a wide bolt that pushes air across it while firing. Fires from a closed bolt in all configurations, so the civilian version isn't a horrible conversion or anything. Non reciprocating cocking handle too iirc. Controls are fully ambi without having to swap or move things, and the sling swivel can be swapped left to right. The firing mechanism is a little crazy too, with a big block that slides forward linearly behind the bolt to engage the firing pin.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I forgot about the crazy over-engineered bolt cooling and would buy the poo poo out of it and SBR the fucker if I had any cash right now. Tell me how $goddamnit$ the mags go for to temper my enthusiasm.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

I was going to say it was featured in Leon, but now that I think about it the gun was never actually fired on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sperglord Actual posted:

I was going to say it was featured in Leon Goldeneye 007, but now that I think about it the gun was never actually fired on screen totally rad and fired all the time on Frigate.
I am so disappointed I missed out on the SBR-ready kit with a tack-welded stock someone was selling a while back.

«257 »