Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

That drat gun went for $799. Oh well, some other day.

Now it's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Edit: Oops, new page. Seeing as we were just talking about S&W on the last page, I've had a model 19 in .357/.38 on my long term "would be nice to own" list (my dad's had one forever and I always love shooting it), but it just got kicked way up the list by my GF talking about how she enjoyed shooting a 357 revolver that one of her friends had back in college.

Since collector smiths are not a minefield I want to walk in, what am I looking for in a fun range toy Model 19 (Sixgun, that's probably mostly directed at you)? Sold prices on GB for a Model 19 in .357 range from $350 to $1200, which makes my head spin. I know a no-dash or -1 or -2 are going to be a better gun than a later model, and I don't want a snubby, but beyond that, I'm lost.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2015 around 03:26

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

stealie72 posted:

Edit: Oops, new page. Seeing as we were just talking about S&W on the last page, I've had a model 19 in .357/.38 on my long term "would be nice to own" list (my dad's had one forever and I always love shooting it), but it just got kicked way up the list by my GF talking about how she enjoyed shooting a 357 revolver that one of her friends had back in college.

Since collector smiths are not a minefield I want to walk in, what am I looking for in a fun range toy Model 19 (Sixgun, that's probably mostly directed at you)? Sold prices on GB for a Model 19 in .357 range from $350 to $1200, which makes my head spin. I know a no-dash or -1 or -2 are going to be a better gun than a later model, and I don't want a snubby, but beyond that, I'm lost.

There's little rhyme or reason to 19 pricing.

You should be able to get a good shooter at around the ~500 mark, but it usually takes some doing. The older ones are masterpieces with a design flaw (barrel can crack at the forcing cone due to thinness). The later ones can be great or mediocre.

Honestly, a 4" 586/686 is a much easier thing for me to recommend because they are a much tougher design. But if you do want a model 19 try to stick to model 19-2s or before for the pinned barrel and recessed chambers. I find the 4" barrel to balance the best, and if you get an old one with diamond grips you have (to my hand) the best K frame factory grips they ever produced. Not only where they usually made of rosewood, but they are smaller and rounder. The early ones in good condition may be the best feeling gun in the hand and when shooting, barring no gun out there.

Beyond that its just a matter of running through the revolver checklist to make sure everything is good, and checking to see if the forcing cone has a crack in it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Thanks for all the in-depth info! I really, really love the way the Model 19 feels in my hands, but I'll have to check out a 586 as well.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Korth Plasma Blue

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

Thanks for all the in-depth info! I really, really love the way the Model 19 feels in my hands, but I'll have to check out a 586 as well.

Join the 586 club

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

I want a P7 ... but they appear to be extremely expensive.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Especially that variant.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Especially that variant.

Which is the best variant.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

and with those wooden grips. unf!

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Saw my first M1/M14 EBR chassis in the wild today at a gun show. Kind of got my wheels turning...but I swear I am done with projects right now!

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

This Browning Superposed, mostly because of the following:

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Got my lawyer putting together the paperwork for my gun trust. Gonna share my 9mm and .45 Tirants with my brother and he is gonna share his POF-5 he's SBRing.

I need something equally good to put the .45 can on. I'm thinking we'll go halfsies on an Action Arms Uzi carbine in .45, SBR it, and put the can on there.

Then I'm going to find me one of those Desantis shoulder rigs Reagan's secret service used.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

loud-bob posted:

I want a P7 ... but they appear to be extremely expensive.

Can someone explain the P7 thing to me? Are they rare in the US or something, or is it all from Die Hard?

I look at them and never really understand why P7s get drooled over by apparently everyone (even extending into the real world, not just the internet) but the last time I saw a Walther P5 in a gun store I was by far the only person who cared or knew what it was so it can't be the "old German gun" factor.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Kennebago posted:

Can someone explain the P7 thing to me? Are they rare in the US or something, or is it all from Die Hard?

I look at them and never really understand why P7s get drooled over by apparently everyone (even extending into the real world, not just the internet) but the last time I saw a Walther P5 in a gun store I was by far the only person who cared or knew what it was so it can't be the "old German gun" factor.

For me the bore being super low, barrel being fixed to the frame, and trigger being so good result in a fantastic shooting gun. It's my favorite automatic.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

The silliest gun I want right now is a RIA 22 TCM doublestack. Something about the elusive high velocity handgun caliber keeps me enthralled.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=469987124

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

Putting the ass in class baby

Kennebago posted:

To add to what Sixgun said , I would say construction, accuracy and aesthetics. They really are nice shooters. I have let many shoot mine and it does become a favorite. I know I already said aesthetics, but
just look at that thing you posted!! And that nickel M13 is a particularly desirable one (I haven't handled the double stack). Someone needs to re-post that "Why is the P7 the most expensive pistol (or whatever)" ad
that HK ran.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DakianDelomast posted:

The silliest gun I want right now is a RIA 22 TCM doublestack. Something about the elusive high velocity handgun caliber keeps me enthralled.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=469987124

I can't believe I'm saying this, but a FiveseveN would be a better gun in a cheaper, more commonly available caliber.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Craptacular posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but a FiveseveN would be a better gun in a cheaper, more commonly available caliber.

Yes but the 22 TCM has a 9mm barrel with it! You can shoot a practical caliber and crazy moon ammo as well! Then you just have a giant, impractical, and questionably put together 1911 adapted to a magazine it was never meant to run.

I totally realize that even for a moon caliber it's pretty far out there for impracticality. But it's still neat. And its almost at a threshold where I wouldn't beat myself up at night for cost sunk. Though I'd hate to see the kaboom when someone accidently chambers a 9mm in the 22 TCM barrel.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

For me the bore being super low, barrel being fixed to the frame, and trigger being so good result in a fantastic shooting gun. It's my favorite automatic.

They are really great to shoot. Good sights too. I shot ZMT's and was instantly hooked.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Craptacular posted:

DakianDelomast posted:

Yes but the 22 TCM has a 9mm barrel with it! You can shoot a practical caliber and crazy moon ammo as well! Then you just have a giant, impractical, and questionably put together 1911 adapted to a magazine it was never meant to run.

I totally realize that even for a moon caliber it's pretty far out there for impracticality. But it's still neat. And its almost at a threshold where I wouldn't beat myself up at night for cost sunk. Though I'd hate to see the kaboom when someone accidently chambers a 9mm in the 22 TCM barrel.

I've actually been considering one of those too, and I've noticed that .22 TCM is really the cheaper of the two rounds by about three cents per:

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.22+TCM
http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/5.7x28

The TCM also gives you a 40gr hollowpoint at that price vs FMJ, and the gun itself costs almost half of what a Five-Seven does. As for availability I've seen both calibers in local stores but only a couple times and it was always way more expensive than above, both rounds are definitely an order in bulk from the internet kind of deal. Okay yeah there's the possibility that this particular moon ammo could flop and dries up, but then pop the 9mm barrel in and you've still got a pretty solid doublestack pistol. On top of that you can still make TCM from scratch using Lee dies, cut and resized .223 brass, .223 varmint bullets, and H110 or Lil'gun powders so I'm not too worried about ammo availability

edit: I didn't think about the possibility of accidentally loading 9mm into the TCM barrel but looking at cartridge diagrams I don't think it could really be chambered? TCM's shoulder starts right behind where 9mm's case ends, it looks like the case or bullet of a 9mm would just get stuck on the shoulder of the TCM chamber

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2015 around 21:38

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

An M1917 revolver. This could be the start of a hilarious South Vietnamese Army 3gun setup.
yes I know the ARVN probably also used M1911s but wheelguns are more fun

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.coonaninc.com/showroom/c...c-smoothwalnut/

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

An M1917 revolver. This could be the start of a hilarious South Vietnamese Army 3gun setup.
yes I know the ARVN probably also used M1911s but wheelguns are more fun

S&W or Colt? There is only one right answer

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Professor Awesome posted:

edit: I didn't think about the possibility of accidentally loading 9mm into the TCM barrel but looking at cartridge diagrams I don't think it could really be chambered? TCM's shoulder starts right behind where 9mm's case ends, it looks like the case or bullet of a 9mm would just get stuck on the shoulder of the TCM chamber

It shouldn't even get that far. The mouth of a 9mm case is 9.65mm (and tapers to a little under 10mm). The base of a .223 case is 9.60mm Even if it was jammed hard the 9mm round would bind on the back of the chamber pretty quickly.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Nap Ghost

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

S&W or Colt? There is only one right answer

S&W, natch

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

I've been looking at a Ruger LCRx lately. Any opinions on these?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

It would rule so hard if they just made one of these using their 9mm LCR as the base.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Fridtjof Nansen posted:

Fuckin' gross.

If you want something larger than your pocket get an SP101.

If you want something to maybe have to point at other people get the shrouded hammer.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Fridtjof Nansen posted:

Baffling. I have no idea why they made that.

If you want that gun just buy an SP101. You will be doing yourself a big favor.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

OH MAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME PENS

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

The only time I shot an LCR, it was awful in every way. Hard to handle, difficult follow up shots, harsh recoil, couldn't hit anything, and the intergrated laser was worthless.
Just get a Model 60 or a 642.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

safetyStanddown posted:

The only time I shot an LCR, it was awful in every way. Hard to handle, difficult follow up shots, harsh recoil, couldn't hit anything, and the intergrated laser was worthless.
Just get a Model 60 or a 642.

People really LOVE LCRs and sometimes I wonder if they really just like revolvers and simply haven't had the pleasure of handling a nice J-frame. The LCP has a big following, too, and when I tried one it was the shittiest piece of poo poo I've ever shot.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Snowman Crossing posted:

People really LOVE LCRs and sometimes I wonder if they really just like revolvers and simply haven't had the pleasure of handling a nice J-frame. The LCP has a big following, too, and when I tried one it was the shittiest piece of poo poo I've ever shot.

The LCR is way better then the LCP.

Actually, the LCR is the first actual competition the J-Frame has ever had I think. The colt offerings have always been bigger guns. Out of the box a new LCR is a better option for a new carry gun then a J-Frame, what with the lock and possibly gritty as gently caress trigger that you need to fix before you can carry the thing.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Actually, the LCR is the first actual competition the J-Frame has ever had I think. The colt offerings have always been bigger guns. Out of the box a new LCR is a better option for a new carry gun then a J-Frame, what with the lock and possibly gritty as gently caress trigger that you need to fix before you can carry the thing.

I see. In that case, yeah, they should make a 3" 9mm LCRx.

Oh and I guess Ruger did make a "pro" version of the LCP that doesn't totally suck. Looks like Hickok has a review out for it.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I love my two LCRs, I have the .22lr and the .357 mag. I bet they'll have the 3" out in .22lr within this year and I'll be all over it, because the triggers are great, and the things are like potato chip light, it'd make an amazing kit gun. S&W makes the 317 kit gun that would be comparable, but they retail for $200 more IF you can find them in stock somewhere.

I'm very much convinced at this point that the LCRs are better guns for the money than any J-frame S&W is making.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1253-373/

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I think that came up in the NFA/Silencer thread a few days ago. Roosevelt actually had the exactly same thing to shoot varmints on his home on Long Island without disturbing his neighbors.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Snowman Crossing posted:

Sometimes you aren't able to carry a gun that you like shooting because of wardrobe or the possibility of being found out. The lcp has pretty decent accuracy and as long as you didn't get the first one with the super long reset you could dump it into the target fast without the reset tripping you up. It also goes anywhere which is why people like it. It's also not very expensive. Jframe just doesn't sit as nicely in slimmer pants as the lcp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

«257 »