Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

king of the bongo posted:

Sometimes you aren't able to carry a gun that you like shooting because of wardrobe or the possibility of being found out. The lcp has pretty decent accuracy and as long as you didn't get the first one with the super long reset you could dump it into the target fast without the reset tripping you up. It also goes anywhere which is why people like it. It's also not very expensive. Jframe just doesn't sit as nicely in slimmer pants as the lcp.

I think the one I shot must have been a first gen, because the trigger reset felt like it was nearly the entire travel distance. It was an ordeal to get through all six rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceMcSquelch
Feb 16, 2009

Snowman Crossing posted:

I think the one I shot must have been a first gen, because the trigger reset felt like it was nearly the entire travel distance. It was an ordeal to get through all six rounds.

I have shot neither the LCP or the Taurus TCP. But from dry-firing both thousands of times, I can honestly say that the TCP's trigger is vastly superior. The new LCP, with its wider trigger is a little better, but still not as good.

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I loved everything about my first gen LCP except shooting it. I shot it immediately alongside an airweight and a standard j-frame. Recoil was similar to the airweight, but I could put my shots where I wanted as fast as I wanted. It did feel like it was coming out of my hand, though, and that was the most unenjoyable part.

Ended up selling it to a buddy and buying a model 36 instead. Carries almost as well.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Baffling. I have no idea why they made that.

If you want that gun just buy an SP101. You will be doing yourself a big favor.

They made it because I want one I'm sure you already know how wonderfully 3" revolvers balance and carry. This lightweight may be the ultimate kit gun.

They are about half the weight of an SP101 and the LCR's trigger shits all over the SP, GP, and a lot of new production Smiths. My 642 w/trigger job and about 1500 dryfire/livefire didn't hold a candle to a new unfired LCR trigger. Ruger got this one right, and I have a feeling we will continue to see Sig-level model variations with this one.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

If that LCRX comes in 357 magnum eventually then it'd make a drat fine backpacking gun and it may help quell my lust for a scandium model 360 for the same purpose. Ounces add up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

I discovered today that Marlin was going to release a 38/357 lever action in 2012 that had a modern style stock, big loop lever, and included ghost ring sights with rail. It is exactly the gun I want, but then they moved the plant after being bought my Remington and the idea just vanished.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

SpartanIV posted:

I discovered today that Marlin was going to release a 38/357 lever action in 2012 that had a modern style stock, big loop lever, and included ghost ring sights with rail. It is exactly the gun I want, but then they moved the plant after being bought my Remington and the idea just vanished.

Remington bought Marlin in 2007.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999

Hair Elf

Kennebago posted:

Remington bought Marlin in 2007.

Yeah but they moved the plant in 2011/2012. From what I've read, they basically fired everyone or everyone quit, as they had no one to manufacture the rifles at the new place. So they cut production of all new rifles and then never reintroduced some of them, including the 1894 CSBL.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-04...-remington-arms

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

SpartanIV posted:

If it is any consolation if they had made it the thing would have been crap most likely. Those last marlins were not exactly quality guns.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.

The LCR kicks rear end. It's ugly as sin but the trigger is great and short of being factory cut for moonclips it has just about every thing I could want in a snubbie. It belongs to my girl now so I don't use it often. We both decided the .38 special model was adequate (with green fiber optic sights) after trying the .357 model. No thanks. Any ammo worthy of the name .357 magnum gave us pause when firing so we just decided against it and saved a few ounces at the same time. A snub is the next gun on my list and I am tempted to buy a duplicate model for myself, though I would swap the Hogue Tamers for boot grips to aid on concealment. In the search we came across two performance center J-frames and were disappointed, out of the box they aren't even close to feeling as nice as a Ruger LCR for hundreds more.

I also carry a Taurus TCP in a Guru wallet holster on occasion. The trigger is pretty good. It's a pre cocked double action hammer fired pistol. Light and shorter in pull than the comparable Kel Tec and still better than the Ruger LCP, or S&W Bodyguard, which I rather disliked. What a clunky .380 that thing is. The TCP is accurate and seems to feed a variety of ammo pretty well. It will choke on cheap reloads (same manufacturer has 9mm that makes my XDs choke too) but runs 100% with all the factory ammo tried. I've been hanging onto my hardcast BB 100gr loads for ccw but there's a lot of speculation on those for self defense. When those run out I will probably move to my stash of Fiocchi Extrema that appear to do reasonably well from this gun.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

If it is any consolation if they had made it the thing would have been crap most likely. Those last marlins were not exactly quality guns.

If it's any further consolation, Remington is putting the 1894 back into significant production this year on brand-new machinery.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

If it's not that setup of 1894, then I would be better off paying a little premium for a JM stamped (pre remington), or a Rossi 92. I'll probably go the Rossi 92 route as those seem to be pretty well put together compared to the new manufacture Marlins, and they're half the cost of the old ones.

But I wish Marlin could get their poo poo together. I would love one of their lever guns eventually.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I'm eyeing the Rossi 92 carbine (10+1 model) in .38/.357 for when I decide to fill the lever-shaped hole in my collection.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

There's a guy local to me selling the 12" barrel Rossi 92 Ranch Hand for $400 with a box of 357 included. I'm debating getting it and sbring it buuuut that would take an additional $300 for the stamp and stock. For $500 I could get the 16" barrel carbine with no tax or additional stock needed.

So is 4" less worth spending $200 more? I'm finding it hard to justify.

Btw:
12" - 6+1
16" - 8+1
20" - 10+1

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I'm eyeing the Rossi 92 carbine (10+1 model) in .38/.357 for when I decide to fill the lever-shaped hole in my collection.

Do it once, do it right: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=470406023

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Ugh. I've got a B-92 in 44 mag and a BL 22. A B-92 in .357 mag is something I'd really really like to have. Problem is finding one.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

big_dilli posted:

Ugh. I've got a B-92 in 44 mag and a BL 22. A B-92 in .357 mag is something I'd really really like to have. Problem is finding one.

There's a consistently supply of about 1-2 on GB at any time. Might be a few weeks that go by without any being on there, but if you want one they're out there.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

There's a consistently supply of about 1-2 on GB at any time. Might be a few weeks that go by without any being on there, but if you want one they're out there.

For all the monies.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

They'd have to be in better condition than the 2 that are currently on there. Took me 2 years of searching locally before I found the one in 44 mag I have.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm, manual safety...

...worked on by CZ Custom with the CZ blade trigger, SAO conversion, and competition hammer. If that seems specific, it's because I ordered it today.

Waiting sucks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

craving a 1911

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

This

I need a new carry gun

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ef3z9Sv3s

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'm pretty sure Sixgun is saving up for that one.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Beardless posted:

I'm pretty sure Sixgun is saving up for that one.

No, I can't afford it. I have my eyes on two others that I have been socking money away for, hoping I can get at least one. We shall see.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

No, I can't afford it. I have my eyes on two others that I have been socking money away for, hoping I can get at least one. We shall see.

Ask yourself this: would you rather own your current Scrooge McDuck-like pile of revolvers, or one awesome revolver that belonged to Elmer Keith?

That's a bummer man, it would have been a hell of a box thread.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Beardless posted:

Ask yourself this: would you rather own your current Scrooge McDuck-like pile of revolvers, or one awesome revolver that belonged to Elmer Keith?

That's a bummer man, it would have been a hell of a box thread.

I did ask myself that, and the answer was that I could own one awesome revolver that belonged to Elmer Keith and my Sixgun McDuck pile of revolvers.

For the record, this is the one I am aiming at:

Hopefully I won't be fighting anyone here for it. I really have no idea what I am going to have to pay, but I'm planning for many thousands.

If there's money left over this comes up the next day:

What the picture doesn't show is the king mirror front sight, and the fact that king completely worked it over.

I'm really really really hoping that the fact that they are both reblues, and both are modified, will drop the price enough that I can own them. We shall see.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Holy poo poo those 1911 grips

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

Holy poo poo those 1911 grips

Something about Mr. Keith having those on a gun is both awesome and a little scary.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah I like those grips

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

According to the auction description they were a wedding present for Elmer from an apparently Rad Dude.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Aw, it's so cute:

http://www.ruger.com/products/newBe...heets/0915.html

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Right now, in order:

- The batshit 380 carbine Hi-Point is releasing that I already have an FFL trying to pre-order.

- Stubby 10.3"-11.5" barrel with FSB to SBR my aluminum lower-ed AR.

- Ruger 77/357

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Butch Cassidy posted:

- The batshit 380 carbine Hi-Point is releasing that I already have an FFL trying to pre-order.

wait wait wait.... Hi-Point is making a .380 carbine?

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I have the 12+1 model in .44 and I bought it knowing it would need work, which it needed more of than I could have imagined.

It's very much a project gun. The factory action will vary from good enough to meh to crunchy/jerky from metal grinding on metal (like mine). The furniture is made from a rather nice wood that was basically painted a sickly poo color at the factory and which should be refinished as soon as possible, preferably the first time you wait for a replacement to a broken part.

One thing to pay particular attention to is the magazine set screw: there's basically a design flaw wherein it will rather easily work itself loose and allow the magtube to move forward under recoil, as pictured below:

Out of the box, it's essentially an unpolished turd. If you're willing to put time, effort, and some more money into it you'll likely end up with a fun levergun that is surprisingly slick and accurate at a really good price.

I've had three separate warranty calls for my R92 so far, and the one thing I can't say enough good things about is Rossi's customer service.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

shalafi4 posted:

wait wait wait.... Hi-Point is making a .380 carbine?

http://www.guns.com/2015/03/03/hi-p...is-ones-in-380/

I really want to get some of that gimmicky Liberty ultra-light/fast HP ammo to chrono out of it and destroy pineapples.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

destroy pineapples.

Destroy something cheaper, and less delicious

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

What a waste of a pineapple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Destroy something cheaper, and less delicious

I have family that keep buying them and letting them go by. Any pineapple in my house is almost immediately devoured by my wife, however.

«257 »