Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Sten Freak posted:

Sorry it didn't work out but you committed to a serious attempt to get it and did your best. As you know, there are guys out there for whom that's chump change so even if you could have gone $2k higher if it was someone with deep pockets he could have just topped the bid and won anyway.

I'm not feeling that bad about it now. I talked to the guy who won the auction yesterday and it's going to a very good home.

Actually, he confirmed my suspicion. The gun is immaterial, it was the grips we were fighting over. Notice how they don't actually fit right in that last picture? They shouldn't be on this gun, they should be on another gun. So that $11,000 bid had nothing to do with the gun, it's just the most expensive pair of grips you are ever likely to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I'm not feeling that bad about it now. I talked to the guy who won the auction yesterday and it's going to a very good home.

Actually, he confirmed my suspicion. The gun is immaterial, it was the grips we were fighting over. Notice how they don't actually fit right in that last picture? They shouldn't be on this gun, they should be on another gun. So that $11,000 bid had nothing to do with the gun, it's just the most expensive pair of grips you are ever likely to see.

Yeah, but those grips would have looked drat good in one of your Kearsarge cases.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Yeah, but those grips would have looked drat good in one of your Kearsarge cases.

Eh, wouldn't fit. Those are N frame.

Besides, I talked to Keith Brown the other day. He's going to take some of my rosewood and attempt to reproduce the pattern of the grips in the picture in the flyer:

and make sure they fit in the box.

At that point it will just be a matter of coming up with the right pre-war 6" K-frame target to put the grips on and put in the box. I was discussing the pricing on a pre-war K32 with a dealer yesterday, kind of a lot of money for one, not sure if I will go that route. We will see. When my funds are back to being out of the negatives and I have the box and stocks I'll probably just state my intentions on the Smith-Wesson forum and see if anyone has any guns they think will be perfect for the box. Maybe get something in there that really belongs. I find its always better to make it clear what you are going to do with a gun and why you want it to get guys who love their guns to part with them.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Eh, wouldn't fit. Those are N frame.

Besides, I talked to Keith Brown the other day. He's going to take some of my rosewood and attempt to reproduce the pattern of the grips in the picture in the flyer:

and make sure they fit in the box.

Brilliant.

Have any more of those boxes come to light or do you own the only two examples known to exist?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Brilliant.

Have any more of those boxes come to light or do you own the only two examples known to exist?

There's the one in the Wendell family, and someone says they know someone that has one more but I've not seen a picture of it or been able to confirm. Reliable source though, so I expect there are at least the 4 of them.

And more when Keith decides to carve one.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Itchy Itchiford posted:

This

I need a new carry gun

I did it.

Buds gun shop sucks.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

OH MAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME PENS

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Lol seems fitting for EAA, with their unapologetically sexist ads, to make a "ladies' gun" covered in glitter. I'd still buy one.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Might be sexist, but I'll be damned if every woman I know that's seen one wants one.

And some guys too.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

purple is my fav color, i want one one of those fuckers

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

I really wanna build a dissy AR on a Mega reciever and paint it up in black and yellow with sharp red and white accents so it looks like a Hyperion gun from Borderlands 2.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KEEP THE FORUMS AND LOWTAX ON LIFE SUPPORT https://www.patreon.com/
GamingGarbage

InterceptorV8 posted:

Might be sexist, but I'll be damned if every woman I know that's seen one wants one.

And some guys too.

I'm getting into broken record territory here, but I think it's awesome when gun makers turn out a gun that looks like anything other than something that should be hanging off a cop or a soldier's work kit. I don't care if it's done up to look like a supersoaker or looks like a viking longboat or looks like every pixie in the land of fairy princesses farted glitter all over it.

Guns can be serious business,, but they can also just be a piece of sporting equipment that you take to a place and target shoot with because that's a thing you enjoy doing on the weekend.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Kanine posted:

purple is my fav color, i want one one of those fuckers

See I could actually shoot that gun and not feel too bad. It's the pink guns that irk me, but that's gaudy in the best of ways.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

My fiance was torn between the purple and the dark blue when I eventually talked her into the purple. It's surprisingly nice. Haven't done anything with it other than dry fire but so far we're both really happy with it. Her only problem is disengaging the safety as it's a little stiff, but I think she'll get used to it.

They weren't joking about lightening the recoil and main springs, it's ridiculously easy to manipulate the slide and hammer. I'm curious to see how it handles recoil.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

My fiance was torn between the purple and the dark blue when I eventually talked her into the purple. It's surprisingly nice. Haven't done anything with it other than dry fire but so far we're both really happy with it. Her only problem is disengaging the safety as it's a little stiff, but I think she'll get used to it.

They weren't joking about lightening the recoil and main springs, it's ridiculously easy to manipulate the slide and hammer. I'm curious to see how it handles recoil.

If it's anything like the SAR B6P (I swear they all look the same) it won't be bad at all for a lightweight pistol. I bet you can also do the mag trick as well so you can you standard CZ 75 mags in it as well, unless they haven't already fixed that issue and lowered the mag release on the inside of the magwell.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm getting into broken record territory here, but I think it's awesome when gun makers turn out a gun that looks like anything other than something that should be hanging off a cop or a soldier's work kit. I don't care if it's done up to look like a supersoaker or looks like a viking longboat or looks like every pixie in the land of fairy princesses farted glitter all over it.

Guns can be serious business,, but they can also just be a piece of sporting equipment that you take to a place and target shoot with because that's a thing you enjoy doing on the weekend.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

InterceptorV8 posted:

If it's anything like the SAR B6P (I swear they all look the same) it won't be bad at all for a lightweight pistol. I bet you can also do the mag trick as well so you can you standard CZ 75 mags in it as well, unless they haven't already fixed that issue and lowered the mag release on the inside of the magwell.

The SAR IIRC is a Turkish clone of the Tanfo pistols, I was just concerned because EAA says the recoil/hammer springs are "tuned" for people with less hand strength. To me they just feel really light weight. Watching videos of people shooting them, they don't seem to be getting battered. Worst case scenario I just load up bunny fart loads for the misses and watch her

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=474087786

this hootenanny

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Amazing

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I choose to believe the Benelli belongs to IR35 amd then you have DJ Exile, Gray Stormy, and Internet Wizard. It's a who's who of give no fucks TFR posters.

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015

Right now. Right this Second. And for the past few years. Something else always seems to pop up and take it's place though. Hard to pony up almost $4k....

The Sako TRG-42 (2013 update model)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Butch Cassidy posted:

I choose to believe the Benelli belongs to IR35 amd then you have DJ Exile, Gray Stormy, and Internet Wizard. It's a who's who of give no fucks TFR posters.

IR35 took the picture. I wanna say that Benelli was White Stormy's. Flanker's painted rifle was somewhere in the area but that's a Serious Canadian Business rifle and was having none of our American nonsense.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

For some reason, the M&P's tacticool knurling and lines is really appealing to me. I'm used to metal frame utilitarian guns like 1911s and my CZ 75B. I've also never used a polymer framed or striker fired gun.

I might flex my range membership and rent one of these or a glock.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

skooma512 posted:

Rent them both! The M&P's rounder shape and grip angle are way different than a squared Glock and you may find that you like one way more than the other. I can't get a good draw with Glocks; the grip angle is weird and I always draw pointing high, then have to kink my wrists down uncomfortably to get on target. With an M&P I have a perfect sight picture on draw, without even trying.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Yub nub!

SniperFox posted:

Right now. Right this Second. And for the past few years. Something else always seems to pop up and take it's place though. Hard to pony up almost $4k....

The Sako TRG-42 (2013 update model)

Do it, I haven't regretted my AI AE Mk III and 5-25x PMII one bit. Love the look of Sako's will have to grab one eventually.

Edit to show how much prettier the Sako green is compared to the AI green:

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2015 around 19:16

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

skooma512 posted:

I've also never used a polymer framed or striker fired gun.

I had never really shot many polymer/striker fire pistols, but also liked the look of the M&P. Rented one out and couldn't hit anything, didn't really enjoy it.

Like Bummey said, worth trying both. But if you have the chance, I'd recommend trying a Walther PPQ as well. I didn't like a lot of striker guns, but absolutely love the PPQ and its trigger. I only use it for range shooting, so depends on your needs and all that too but it's worth a try if you have the option.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Trying to decide POF-5 (MP5 clone) or a POF-5PK (MP5k clone). Decisions, decisions. It'll be SBR'd and suppressed. Both is not an option.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Gun you got, this instant.

"I've come for you, Margaret."

Bummey
May 26, 2004

big_dilli posted:

Trying to decide POF-5 (MP5 clone) or a POF-5PK (MP5k clone). Decisions, decisions. It'll be SBR'd and suppressed. Both is not an option.

MP5 MP5 MP5 go go go

reverse stretch bad

If I had a good camera and knew how to take a nice photo I'd take photos of mine - I can only take comedy option beige carpet toe pictures - but just go look at right arm's MP5 instead.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

big_dilli posted:

MP5_2 by right_arm, on Flickr

imagine that with a MK9K on the end of it, cause in like 5 months that's what'll be on it. the POF-5 is very good. I am madly in love with mine

if you do want a K, go with DJ Getz. his builds are very nice and he offers a normal K (not a reverse stretch) through atlantic firearms

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

I got the reverse stretch K

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Previously it was all about the full size. Now, I am leaning towards the reverse stretch K. I'm thinking of putting an A3 stock on it. Did I mention it'll be suppressed. That why I was leaning towards the shorter K.

What's so bad about the reverse stretch K?

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

nothing. they're better in that it will allow you a hell of a lot better selection in stocks

I just wish they (POF) offered a real K as I'd prefer it as it would be more "correct"

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

gently caress that's hot. Those straight mags look so much more awesome than curved ones.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

yeah I definitely dig the straight ones a lot. wish they didn't cost so much, but that's HK accessories for you

Bummey
May 26, 2004

big_dilli posted:

What's so bad about the reverse stretch K?

Nothing, not really. I like Ks because they're tiny. Reverse stretch has a weird silhouette that clashes with my stupid video game mind picture. It's also less tiny and that's more not tiny than I want out of an MP5K. I'm basically Myron Reducto, is what I'm getting at.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2015 around 04:03

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bummey posted:

If I had a good camera and knew how to take a nice photo I'd take photos of mine - I can only take comedy option beige carpet toe pictures - but just go look at right arm's MP5 instead.

Your pics sold me on a 15" handguard, an XTC, amd largely cememted in my mind that I did want a fixed carbine stock. So you should totally take pics of your HK and DD SBR buddies.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I'm going to buy some Nill grips for my P210 and my CZ 97B. I also have this extreme compulsion to buy their Walther PPK grips, the ones that neatly incorporate the thumb rest magazine, and also their S&W 4506 grips to put on my 1006. In this latter-most case, there's a lot of concerns. I have yet to see an example of what this would look like anywhere on the internet or anyone able to tell me if they are any less impossibly thick than the Hogues I've already burned more than a C note making doing a grip experiment. I would also have to pay someone to drill and tap holes in my frame, and future buyers might not appreciate that. On the other hand, they might be incredible shooting 10mm through an S&W palm swollen Turkish walnut Nills, and I think I'd be the only one anywhere getting to experience it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Quickshanks posted:

I'm going to buy some Nill grips for my P210 and my CZ 97B. I also have this extreme compulsion to buy their Walther PPK grips, the ones that neatly incorporate the thumb rest magazine, and also their S&W 4506 grips to put on my 1006. In this latter-most case, there's a lot of concerns. I have yet to see an example of what this would look like anywhere on the internet or anyone able to tell me if they are any less impossibly thick than the Hogues I've already burned more than a C note making doing a grip experiment. I would also have to pay someone to drill and tap holes in my frame, and future buyers might not appreciate that. On the other hand, they might be incredible shooting 10mm through an S&W palm swollen Turkish walnut Nills, and I think I'd be the only one anywhere getting to experience it.

Buy Nill Grips for your P210. Buy Nill Grips for all your guns. They are the best grips.

I found the Nill grips on my P210 moved the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger down and allowed me to attain a grip that was more intuitive without risking hammer bite.

That's the one you got with a .30 Luger slide, right? Fiocchi still makes .30 Luger. Buy all you can, it is a fantastic target round.

mikerock fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2015 around 07:58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Do it, I haven't regretted my AI AE Mk III and 5-25x PMII one bit. Love the look of Sako's will have to grab one eventually.

Edit to show how much prettier the Sako green is compared to the AI green:

yea I like AI's too - but they're more expensive anyway than the TRG line, like 2-3k more? I've always gravitated to the Sako though from the beginning, I've held both and just like the palm swell of the TRG a lot more.

Both are extraordinary guns though. and that .338LM is just the business.

I would buy it right now, but I recently acquired a wife... , so it's harder to dump $4k on a rifle (and just the rifle, no scope) when I don't shoot much at this point in my life, really for the past 5 years or so (hoping to change that soon). Nor have anywhere to shoot that (Recently moved to Atl, Georgia)

I'm hoping in the next year or so I can finally get one - even if not a scope. I just want one before they stop making the TRG-42's for a re-design of some kind.

«257 »