Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Am I wrong to want a gigantic pile of guns like this?

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/CHINE...ifacts#topoflot

I'm pretty sad I'm gonna juuuust miss Poulins auction when I go back to Maine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

Flying the friendly skies in relative safet-oh god the engine fell off

Fun Shoe

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

These aren't especially collectable, they are just a curiosity.

Forgotten Weapons has done a couple episodes on Chinese mystery pistols (they generally date to the Warlord period of the late 1910s-late 1920s); they're pretty good viewing on the general landscape of the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNaB7l2GQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFPgu82f1c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEIP9mRAwA

In Europe itself I think the closest market that would be similar (both in time period and knockoffs/clones) is the Spanish boutique market that sprung up during WW1 and lived through the Civil War.

Sperglord Actual
Nov 27, 2011

The Spanish gunmakers at least generally understood how to make their sights usable.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A Piexon JPX and Ka-Bar TDI in place of my previously planned DAO PX4 in 9mm.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Flatland Crusoe posted:

They need to make a single stack slimline 10mm but with a G19 length barrel. Like a Glock 36 with more barrel. Glock 10mmís need less grip radius for normal sized hands.

Alternative HK makes a VP10 or VP10SK.

Are you saying HK currently makes this or an alternative would be if HK made a vp10(sk)?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Ophidian posted:

Are you saying HK currently makes this or an alternative would be if HK made a vp10(sk)?

HK only makes the VP9/VP40 series and has never made a 10mm pistol even though USP 40ís can be converted.

The issue with the G20 is that the ergonomics just suck until you have pretty large hands. Something like an M&P 10mm or a Sig 320 in 10mm would be a lot better because they actually try to tighten the grip radius at the thumb web where as Glock takes their squared off grip and enlarges it for 10mm. The Glock magazine design is also part of the problem with the thickness of the side walls. If you took something like a Sig 365 magazine design in 10mm you could make an amazing handgun closer to something G19 sized.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

The g19 and moreso the 43 fits my hand perfectly and a 10mm version would be ideal, maybe with a 17 length slide. My hands are weird in that my palms seem disproportionately fatter than my fingers would suggest which makes for a weird grip.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765068900

And a light pink blazer.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/767681194

This thing looks neat, if itís not reblued....also not sure if itís worth it.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Problematic Soup posted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/767681194

This thing looks neat, if itís not reblued....also not sure if itís worth it.

Definitely been reblued, but not a bad reblue.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Thatíd be a hard pass from me if it wasnít a factory reblue....and Iím betting itís not since itís not mentioned in the description. I thought the lettering on the barrel looked a bit wonky.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Big tell is that on the left side of the gun, there should be little rounded heads for the pins that hold the trigger and other various stuff in the frame. On cheap reblues you'll see those rounded heads get flattened.

The side plate looks pretty good for a refinish. Some of places that should have hard lines are kind of rounded over.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Could be a factory reblue. I'd want to see better pictures of the whole gun, with the grips off.

The thing that says reblue to me is the more faint marking of the caliber.

Overall though, even if it wasn't a reblue, it's still a couple hundred high for one of these, especially given the plastic grips on there.

Still, very attractive. I would wager (but not 900 dollars wager) that it is in fact a factory reblue because that finish does look exactly like one of those pre-war blue jobs which was lost to time. It's an amazingly gorgeous finish, and I so wish someone knew how to do it today.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Doug Turnbull can do the old school Smith/Colt bluing, but itís . Iíve read a bit about it, and it seems like they both used relatively similar processes.

Edit: and apparently, no one can get S&W carbonia bluing exactly right, like they can with Colt charcoal bluing....oh well.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2018 around 22:54

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Big tell is that on the left side of the gun, there should be little rounded heads for the pins that hold the trigger and other various stuff in the frame. On cheap reblues you'll see those rounded heads get flattened.

The side plate looks pretty good for a refinish. Some of places that should have hard lines are kind of rounded over.

That pin you're looking for would be covered up by those aftermarket stocks. Sixgun is right, need pics of the whole gun with the grips off. If it's a reblue, it's not a bad one. Target 38 m&p are kinda desirable but he's a bit high if it is a reblue.

I'm thinking it is a reblue, very light smearing of the lettering. But the side plate fitment is still looking really good.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The issue with the G20 is that the ergonomics just suck until you have pretty large hands. Something like an M&P 10mm or a Sig 320 in 10mm would be a lot better because they actually try to tighten the grip radius at the thumb web where as Glock takes their squared off grip and enlarges it for 10mm. The Glock magazine design is also part of the problem with the thickness of the side walls.

I have a Gen4 G20, and giant bear-claw meat hooks, and can confirm. I thought Iíd have to install the bulkier blackstrap to make it comfortable, but no, the smaller ones are great.

It just has an enormous huge-grip.

I would buy a VP10 instantly, were it to be made available. I love my VP9.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

They have a good condition DWM Artillery Luger with the original stock/holster at Scheels in Fargo for $3,500, spent way too long looking at it today.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

S&W 43C

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I had the chance to shoot a Taylor 1873 Comanchero in .357 and now I am absolutely in love.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

I like my 43c, and you can often get away with replacing the mainspring with a lighter weight one...running a 9lb in mine with mostly Stingers, and itís been flawless with everything I have run through it, except (with factory weight mainspring) CCI velocitors.

I have heard the 351 in .22mag is really where you run into problems fiddling with the spring weight.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I Demand Food posted:

I had the chance to shoot a Taylor 1873 Comanchero in .357 and now I am absolutely in love.

That looks awesome. I now want one in .45lc.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

That looks awesome. I now want one in .45lc.

They're truly beautiful in fit and finish and buttery smooth (the action was slicker than on my custom-tuned R92, and now I kinda miss not having short stroke kits on my other lever actions).

If I didn't have a newborn that goes through an unholy amount of diapers and a supplemental property tax bill, I would have bought it on the spot.

I hate adulting.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

I want a Polish Tantal

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Problematic Soup posted:

I like my 43c, and you can often get away with replacing the mainspring with a lighter weight one...running a 9lb in mine with mostly Stingers, and it’s been flawless with everything I have run through it, except (with factory weight mainspring) CCI velocitors.

Good to hear. I'm seriously considering starting to sock money away for one to give my wife after replacing my JPX and TDI. With a DeDantis clip grip, links to other decent stocks, and lighter hammer spring. She's fairly fond of the LCR and needling me for a second 22 caliber snub.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Special

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

ALL of them.

Fun Shoe

I Demand Food posted:

I need to stop seeing people talk about lever guns because I've wanted one for a while and I don't need to buy one right now... I guess I technically own my grandpa's old Marlin 30-30, but something in 45-70 or a cowboy/pistol caliber has been calling my name for a while.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

allow me to not help in any way shape or form

i took mine out again last weekend. with a brass bead up front and buckhorn sights it's basically like having a red dot. i can keep the sights on a paper plate at 30 yards or so and hit every single time cycling the lever as fast as i could. it's loving awesome. get one.

edit: oh i thought this was the PCC thread. to clarify mine's a Rossi 92 in .45 colt.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at May 3, 2018 around 04:29

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

In the interest of further not helping, I can vouch for R92's being fun, accurate, and inexpensive.

Just stay away from the .44 octagon barrel models, as there is a design defect that results in the magazine tube going forward under recoil for many (like mine).

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

My Henry .22 and classic old Winchester 94 in .30-30 are two of my most enjoyable guns to shoot. Get a loving levergun.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

MohawkSatan posted:

My Henry .22 and classic old Winchester 94 in .30-30 are two of my most enjoyable guns to shoot. Get a loving levergun.

You need to get yourself a Winchester 9422, puts the henry to absolute shame, and is the same dimensions as the full sized 94

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

You need to get yourself a Winchester 9422, puts the henry to absolute shame, and is the same dimensions as the full sized 94

I'd consider it if they didn't run $fuckoff in Canuckistan

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

They run $fuckoff in The States

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

They are so great that they just keep climbing, they've become $fuckoff everywhere, but there's a reason for it.

Also, they are old enough that sometimes you happen across one for something closer to what they originally sold for.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

ALL of them.

Fun Shoe

I'm absolutely not going to bring a levergat home if this pawnshop in town with a good selection of firearms has anything good. No sir.

What are the pros and cons of the 3 main caliber types? This would probably mainly get plinking use at the range and maybe some camping/deep woods hiking action. .357 is obviously going to be the cheapest, .44 mag is the strongest factory round, .45 Colt has a lot of flexibility in loading options and can be made hot as hell. That about sum it up?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yup. But 45 Long Colt also has a particularly satisfying way of thwacking targets with that big, fat piece of lead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

ALL of them.

Fun Shoe

Any issues with the older rossi's? My range has a very pretty Rossi 65 src in 44 mag. Price looks a little high but he's pretty sure they'd be able to talk and owner into going lower.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

fknlo posted:

Any issues with the older rossi's? My range has a very pretty Rossi 65 src in 44 mag. Price looks a little high but he's pretty sure they'd be able to talk and owner into going lower.

Probably fewer issues than with newer Rossi's.

It probably doesn't have the bolt safety, either, which is good because they're awkward and a lot of people remove 'em from newer ones anyway.

It likely has a metal magazine tube follower, too, which is a huge improvement over the crappy plastic ones new models come with.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

ALL of them.

Fun Shoe

me not buying a new gun.

I'll get some better pics up in the PCC thread since that's the best option at the moment.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

I Demand Food posted:

Probably fewer issues than with newer Rossi's.

It probably doesn't have the bolt safety, either, which is good because they're awkward and a lot of people remove 'em from newer ones anyway.

It likely has a metal magazine tube follower, too, which is a huge improvement over the crappy plastic ones new models come with.

Mine is a Rossi that was manufactured explicitly for a company called Early Modern Firearms - it doesn't have the bolt safety, but it does have the plastic follower, unfortunately. Still seems to feed just fine, thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

fknlo posted:

me not buying a new gun.

I'll get some better pics up in the PCC thread since that's the best option at the moment.

She's a beauty! Congrats!

Admiral Bosch posted:

Mine is a Rossi that was manufactured explicitly for a company called Early Modern Firearms - it doesn't have the bolt safety, but it does have the plastic follower, unfortunately. Still seems to feed just fine, thankfully

That's good. In case it has any issues down the road, this is the one I used in mine: https://store.stevesgunz.com/index....q1067o87t8s3iu5

Also, in trying to find an 1873 Comanchero at a better price online, I came across the 1873 Quickdraw carbine and now I want one of those, too.

I Demand Food fucked around with this message at May 4, 2018 around 04:31

«257 »