Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«257 »
big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Update.

I got the Desert Eagle and the Springfield Armory Long Slide. You can really see the difference in nickel and stainless in this pic.

Someone mentioned the horrible triggers on the Springfield. Turns out the ILS system on the Springfield uses a 28 lb main spring.

I replaced the main spring housing and main spring with a 19 lb spring to get rid of the ILS and added an Ed Brown Maxi-well. Replaced the stocks with Ahrend Combat Stocks. I like it much better. Trigger is great.

The main spring housing is done in the chainlink pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Yeahhhh... .50 AE. Welp. Hope you have a reloading press!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I like the long slide, looks good.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

As for a gun I want, I'd really be happy with just a basic .22. I'm jealous of all of you guys with your disposable income.

Beardless fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2012 around 20:19

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

You can buy kits to convert them to .44 and .357, so he's not exactly stuck with that caliber. Then again, the kits probably cost more than the money he'd save with the cheaper ammo. gently caress it, buy them anyway.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

It has barrel flutes, so not .50 AE.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Sperglord Actual posted:

It has barrel flutes, so not .50 AE.

The gun literally says Desert Eagle .50AE on it, though the barrel/mags might be swapped at the moment.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Nope not .50AE, .44 mag. They both use the same frame. That barrel is actually stamped .44 mag but didn't pick up in the picture. Also very lightly struck behind that .50 AE on the frame is stamped .44 mag. It's just really really light.

I also have the original box and manual. Not bad for the price I gave for it.

mikerock, thanks for the comment on the long slide. It's a very good shooter. I put 150 rounds through it before changing out the main spring and adding the mag well, no problems what-so-ever. It's very accurate and the recoil is very tame. Just waiting on my mags to come in. Brownells backordered the Wilson Combat mags I ordered so I substituted the Wilson Combat Elites.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

It'd be more fun if it was actually in .50 AE but had REPLICA stamped down the side.

Still hope you have reloading equipment. My Model 29 was the excuse I bought to convince myself to buy reloading equipment as well. .44 isn't terribly cheap, itself.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

You're preaching to the choir about .44 mag. I've also got a Model 29, two SAA replicas in .44 mag, and a Browning 92 in .44 mag.

I've got every piece of brass saved in .44 mag and the reloading dies. Looking at which press I'm going to buy. Leaning towards a Hornady LNL.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

For a second there I thought I read that you had a Beretta 92 in .44 Mag, which would be a hilarious (and impossible) rechambering, but it gave me a smile.

Reloading for .44 is awesome, especially since you can use Trail Boss. Hell yeah. I don't know if it'd have enough oomph to cycle the Desert Eagle though. Is it okay to use hardcast in the DE? The gas port is right next to the cartridge mouth so I can't imagine leading would be a huge problem?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

big_dilli posted:

I also have the original box and manual.

Is the manual dated? IIRC that caliber-specific roll mark would make it a pre-Mark XIX, made in the early 1990s.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

You know what would be cool? A semi-auto rifle in .44 or .357 magnum that took Desert Eagle mags. Basically a beefier Camp Carbine. In the magnum calibers you could conceivably use it for hunting, and it would be great for home defense.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

You know what would be cool? A semi-auto rifle in .44 or .357 magnum that took Desert Eagle mags. Basically a beefier Camp Carbine. In the magnum calibers you could conceivably use it for hunting, and it would be great for home defense.

how is a pistol caliber better than an intermediate caliber for home defense?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

"Miso Beno" posted:

how is a pistol caliber better than an intermediate caliber for home defense?
...It's not? I didn't claim that it would be. But as I understand it, .347 or .44 are considered good for HD out of a pistol barrel, so I think a 16 inch barrel would only be better.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

You'd better believe .44 out of a 16" barrel is going through a loving wall. poo poo, you can probably punch .44 in and out of a person with 16" of barrel, reliably. Overpenetration isn't a terribly good thing.

That said, your idea is cute for general fun use, but dumb for HD. There are a multitude of cheap pistol caliber carbines already, and they all use magazines that are cheaper than Deagle magazines, and most of them stand a lesser chance of going into your neighbors wall and also into your neighbor.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Beardless posted:

As for a gun I want, I'd really be happy with just a basic .22. I'm jealous of all of you guys with your disposable income.

Great deals thread has a pretty great deal on a Ruger 22/45 right now.

E2M2 posted:

$240 for a Ruger 22/45 5 1/2 inch heavy barrel

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/...oducts_id=73412

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

I get about 1600 fps on a 240 grain bullet out of my Browing 92 in .44 mag. I'm not afraid to take deer out to about 150 yards. As hard hitting as .44 mag is out of a pistol, it really wakes up out of a rifle and that's with factory loads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

My HD loadout is a can of silly string and a lighter.

TheMurdererNxtDoor
Mar 30, 2012

If by max penetration you mean completely unacceptable (edit: for all commercially available loads, and FN is really pissy about reloads), sure. I think you've read too much marketing. Also, for a 1200 dollar gun or whatever it is now, it better have adjustable sights.

Lol broski, I've punched through a pig no problem with one using SS195 ammo. I didn't read too marketing, I just went out and shot one. Sold a bunch of them too. And I don't know where you didn't buy yours, but mine is 940.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

TheMurdererNxtDoor posted:

Lol broski, I've punched through a pig no problem with one using SS195 ammo. I didn't read too marketing, I just went out and shot one. Sold a bunch of them too. And I don't know where you didn't buy yours, but mine is 940.

If it punches through a pig then yes it is totally unacceptable for HD.
In fact a pistol is pretty unacceptable for shooting pigs too.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

The only FN 5.7 Ive handled felt like it was made totally out of Lego blocks. I like plastic guns but it just felt...Lego-y.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4609

When I win the mega millions

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Okay as long as you have made an informed decision to buy a stupid gun, then I totally support you. Shine on, you hunting animals with completely inappropriate weapons and ammuniton diamond.

Shine on.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Okay as long as you have made an informed decision to buy a stupid gun, then I totally support you. Shine on, you hunting animals with completely inappropriate weapons and ammuniton diamond.

Shine on.

How did you know I was going to hunt with that Gatling?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hunting people is still hunting!

TheMurdererNxtDoor
Mar 30, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4609

When I win the mega millions

when I win the mega mil, I was considering this one

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/20...y-transferable/

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

priznat posted:

Hunting people is still hunting!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

If by max penetration you mean completely unacceptable (edit: for all commercially available loads, and FN is really pissy about reloads), sure. I think you've read too much marketing. Also, for a 1200 dollar gun or whatever it is now, it better have adjustable sights.

I got mine brand new for just over $1000.00 about a month or so ago. The ammo isn't that bad and is priced about the same as .45 ACP around where I live. I can find it as low as $23.00 for a box of 50 rounds.

You're right about the ammo though. LEO ammo is what you want, but good luck finding it at a cheap price and in substantial quantities. Elite Ammo makes some good rounds, but they're pricey.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

If I win Mega Millions jackpot and there are fewer than 10 other jackpot winners, I will give the top 10 posters (not including myself) in this thread as of this post $1500 to buy whatever gun they want. Or I guess you could use it for bills or whatever.
They are:
Gtab
wilfoy
Sixgun Strumpet
Butch Cassidy
priznat
Bummey
Beardless
infrared35
Atticus_1354
QuarkMartial

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Haha as if Sixgun Strumpet needs more guns.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Buy gtab a 92fs

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Also, was I just called "broski"?

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Also, was I just called "broski"?

Yeah broski, wanna fight about it?

Also it seems to me like for $1500 you should buy Gtab a 92fs, a PF9, a beat-up deagle, and a deactivated S&W model 57.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I'M NOT YOUR BRO, CHAMP!

It's far more likely that if 1500 dollars was directed at Gtab, it'd be to buy him 150 new avatars that he didn't ask for. (I love the current one though )

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

prolific posting pays!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I like turtles posted:

If I win Mega Millions jackpot and there are fewer than 10 other jackpot winners, I will give the top 10 posters (not including myself) in this thread as of this post $1500 to buy whatever gun they want. Or I guess you could use it for bills or whatever.
They are:
Gtab
wilfoy
Sixgun Strumpet
Butch Cassidy
priznat
Bummey
Beardless
infrared35
Atticus_1354
QuarkMartial

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Haha as if Sixgun Strumpet needs more guns.

He just wants to see what kind of crazy thing I would buy with $1500.

If that happens I that I will put the $1500 toward a Volcanic and fund the rest with trade ins.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I like turtles posted:

They are:
Gtab
wilfoy
Sixgun Strumpet
Butch Cassidy
priznat
Bummey
Beardless
infrared35
Atticus_1354
QuarkMartial
How the hell did I end up as one of the top posters in this thread? Go figure. $1500 would be nice for building the start of a collection though... A CZ 452 or 455, some nice glass, some kind of milsurp rifle would be nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Finally, being nice in a thread pays off!

edit: I'd be buying a particular 10/22 setup and most of a Buckmark.

Gtab fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2012 around 02:10

«257 »