Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pennywise the Frown posted:

lol a goon in GBS sent me that. I don't know what it is really, but it's a very nicely produced piece of stained wood that he made and I was grateful.

Pretty sure it's to prop up a leaning stack of books in an artful way, but it's a lovely piece of decor in general - I ain't knockin' it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Look pal, I just loving want the NPM M1 Carbine I won at auction with its 3 "high cap" OEM 15 round mags that are NY legal only because they are "antiques with an antique rifle to be owned by a licensed collector" but it can't be shipped straight to me because NY doesn't allow direct shipment to my C&R license (yes I confirmed that with the state police three times) and my FFL is super backed up doing all the transfers for like a three county radius because almost everyone else shut down since the SAFE act

And then I just wanna like drive it past the old NPM location (since demolished), dunk it in the Erie Canal, dump a few Genny Creams on it and jam a garbage plate in the action because holy poo poo Rochester needs its baby 30 cal child back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kesper North posted:

Pretty sure it's to prop up a leaning stack of books in an artful way, but it's a lovely piece of decor in general - I ain't knockin' it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm jealous of your inbound NPM M1. I really want a Rockola as well. Never even shot either of the ones I already have but I love the drat things anyway.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

MKIV peeps:
https://shootingstore.dunhamssports.com/product/rug-43926-mkiv-2245-lite-22lr-4.4-10r-tb-gold

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Auric Goldruger

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

https://youtu.be/RdSPuu_v1jo

I want a Martini bullpup. Also some of whatever they were smoking when they came up with it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Thermos posted:

https://youtu.be/RdSPuu_v1jo

I want a Martini bullpup. Also some of whatever they were smoking when they came up with it.

That's awesome, but having such a high power round going off next to my head in a jerry rigged gun would make me very nervous.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Captain Log posted:

That's awesome, but having such a high power round going off next to my head in a jerry rigged gun would make me very nervous.

The action itself being intact with just a hole in the trigger guard and the stock sawed off into a butt pad means nothing that's containing the explosion has been tampered with, at least.

Probably more pleasant than a semi-auto bullpup that ejects cases by itself so you get to smell all that chamber residue, anyways. Also it's a .22 Hornet and those aren't particularly enormous cartridges

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

The buttplate cocking the gun is

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Yeah, if it was a shoulder cruncher like the original loading for .450 Boxer Henry I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but .22 Hornet would be pretty pleasant. Martini actions are pretty damned sturdy, so you've got to do something real dumb to blow that apart and even if you do manage to shear an axis pin, the shape of the breech block will tend to launch it up into the air rather than straight back into your face.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Saw this while waiting on a gunbroker auction for this but in red... lost the auction, now this is sold out

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The bolt action .22LR I was eyeing sold out, so apparently what's currently temping me to make dumb decisions are sub-$2K MP5 clones.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

poeticoddity posted:

The bolt action .22LR I was eyeing sold out, so apparently what's currently temping me to make dumb decisions are sub-$2K MP5 clones.

PTR 9ct in stock at Cheaper than Dirt. A little overpriced at $1690, but not as bad as the $2k I've seen elsewhere.

I want a CZ 457 Pro Varmint, but it's OOS everywhere. There is a new 457 variant that just started showing up in stock, the Varmint Precision Trainer MTR, but it's $1.2k. I've been thinking about it, but just can't do it. I mean $1.2k for a .22 and it doesn't even have adjustable LOP or comb? So hot though.

e: hmmm, looks like the Varmint MTR is in stock at $670 and the 16" threaded match barrel from the Precision Trainer MTR is $300 from CZ.

I wonder what I could get parting out the wood stock and unthreaded barrel on gunbroker, probably enough to pay for a KRG Bravo stock...

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 24, 2021

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

ADINSX posted:

Saw this while waiting on a gunbroker auction for this but in red... lost the auction, now this is sold out

Yoink: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-mark-iv-22-45-lite-semi-automatic-22lr-rimfire-44-barrel-101-rounds?a=2248089

Use code: ‘gunsngear’ for $20 off, and use the $10 free shipping/member trial to save a few more $$. If you use a privacy.com (https://privacy.com/join/XVVNU gets us both $5) virtual card, you can just do the trial and turn off the card in 30 days in case you forget.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I have somehow convinced myself that I should acquire a Star PD and an Astra Terminator as a set, as they are basically the autoloader and revolver equivalent to one another -- both created by almost the same people for the same purpose and at the same time, but while the Star PD is still within "dumb fun idea" affordability, the Astra Terminator now goes for more than the Lew Horton 2.75" S&Ws it was intended as a cheap rear end alternative to.

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 24, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Quickshanks posted:

I have somehow convinced myself that I should acquire a Star PD and an Astra Terminator as a set, as they are basically the autoloader and revolver equivalent to one another -- both created by almost the same people for the same purpose and at the same time, but while the Star PD is still within "dumb fun idea" affordability, the Astra Terminator now goes for more than the Lew Horton 2.75" S&Ws it was intended as a cheap rear end alternative to.

A gun store near me has a Star 1911-ish thing chambered in 9 mm Largo, if you're interested. I think it's a Star, at least.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Wifi Toilet posted:

PTR 9ct in stock at Cheaper than Dirt. A little overpriced at $1690, but not as bad as the $2k I've seen elsewhere.

I want a CZ 457 Pro Varmint, but it's OOS everywhere. There is a new 457 variant that just started showing up in stock, the Varmint Precision Trainer MTR, but it's $1.2k. I've been thinking about it, but just can't do it. I mean $1.2k for a .22 and it doesn't even have adjustable LOP or comb? So hot though.

e: hmmm, looks like the Varmint MTR is in stock at $670 and the 16" threaded match barrel from the Precision Trainer MTR is $300 from CZ.

I wonder what I could get parting out the wood stock and unthreaded barrel on gunbroker, probably enough to pay for a KRG Bravo stock...

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101009292

Alternatively, haunt Gunbrokers and try to grab what you can off of there. I have my eye on a few CZ 457s listed there, but a few of them has the sale closing time up when I'm at work, and I don't know how bad bidding can get in that last hour.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I want to slap buy on a 12" grendel barrel to turn my pile of spare parts in to a handy dandy hunting "pistol" and I think I might just do it.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Look at what area 419 does to those. Absolutely baller rifles.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 25, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

I miss my cowboy guns. I very badly want a metallic cartridge-firing open top, most preferably a replica 1851 Navy conversion in .38sp (but would also settle for an 1860 Army or 1872 open top).

Cons:
- Lack of top strap means the frame is much weaker than that of an SAA, meaning it can't fire nearly as powerful cartridges.
- Less safe than an SAA since its hammer lacks the 3rd position (supposed to catch the hammer if it slips).
- Replicas often have some timing issues which can cause the cylinder bolt to drag at half cock.
- Timing these guns is far more difficult because the cylinder and bolt are recessed into the frame and not visible from the side, as they are with an SAA.
- More difficult/annoying to take apart. Removing the cylinder requires a mallet.
- Reloading is slower because the ejector doesn't just travel straight back; its lever turns to retain it when not in use.
- Sights are a bit slower to use because the rear is just a V notch in the front of the hammer. This is even worse on an 1872, where the rear sight is on the rear of the barrel, yielding a shorter radius.
- Front heavy, due to the thick octagonal barrel and lightened frame.
- Although in the Old Times these would have been a cheaper alternative to an SAA, the SAA's extreme popularity and enormous number of manufacturers producing them makes niche guns like these a little more expensive.
- This doesn't apply to the factory Richards Mason replicas like this, but if you're using a different conversion (Taylors conversion cylinder, Kirst converter, etc) to make a .36 BP gun shoot .38sp, you'll need to either use heeled bullets in order for them to properly expand and engage the rifling, or else re-sleeve the barrel. Otherwise your accuracy will suffer as the bullet bounces around in the barrel.

Pros:
- Looks cool

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 25, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Carbohydrates posted:

- This doesn't apply to the factory Richards Mason replicas like this, but if you're using a different conversion (Taylors conversion cylinder, Kirst converter, etc) to make a .36 BP gun shoot .38sp, you'll need to either use heeled bullets in order for them to properly expand and engage the rifling, or else re-sleeve the barrel. Otherwise your accuracy will suffer as the bullet bounces around in the barrel.

Supposedly .38 Special hollow base wadcutters will also work better FWIW.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

pipebomb posted:

Yoink: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-mark-iv-22-45-lite-semi-automatic-22lr-rimfire-44-barrel-101-rounds?a=2248089

Use code: ‘gunsngear’ for $20 off, and use the $10 free shipping/member trial to save a few more $$. If you use a privacy.com (https://privacy.com/join/XVVNU gets us both $5) virtual card, you can just do the trial and turn off the card in 30 days in case you forget.

Oh nice thanks, I actually bought one about a week ago for less than the one I'd lost the auction for but I appreciate it

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899107490

This Fitz special.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

This semi-auto M60 that is sadly $23K.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

That's pretty sweet, but for ten grand less you can have what's arguably a superior platform.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

infrared35 posted:

That's pretty sweet, but for ten grand less you can have what's arguably a superior platform.

I'd like to update my answer.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

wtf you can buy a legit transferable 1919A4 for less if you want to scratch your belt fed itch

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ZebraBlade posted:

wtf you can buy a legit transferable 1919A4 for less if you want to scratch your belt fed itch

Yeah, but that's way harder to use in a 3-gun match.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, but that's way harder to use in a 3-gun match.

With enough belts anything is possible.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Buy a steadicam mount with the savings (I have no idea how much a steadycam mount costs).

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I want a USP 45, I just don't want to pay $1,000 for a used one.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want a USP 45, I just don't want to pay $1,000 for a used one.

That's why I got a USP 45C to scratch the hk itch.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I'm not misremembering, they weren't always crazy expensive, yeah?

I'd settle for a 9C instead, but they aren't any cheaper.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Out of curiosity, why the USP instead of the HK45 or new offerings? Is it just the specific aesthetic?

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

I wanted it so I got it...

... and I’m happy. Note: brace wasnt fully locked open for the photo, hence the gap. Mind the gap.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Put a can on it!

Nomyth posted:

Out of curiosity, why the USP instead of the HK45 or new offerings? Is it just the specific aesthetic?

It's because of the California roster. The aesthetic is a nice bonus.

The specific reason is that the LEM is one of my very favorite triggers. An optics ready P30L with the LEM trigger would be extremely choice, but it doesn't exist and definitely isn't for sale in CA.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

A Real Hologram posted:

I wanted it so I got it...

... and I’m happy. Note: brace wasnt fully locked open for the photo, hence the gap. Mind the gap.

Welcome to the cool kids club

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's because of the California roster. The aesthetic is a nice bonus.

The specific reason is that the LEM is one of my very favorite triggers. An optics ready P30L with the LEM trigger would be extremely choice, but it doesn't exist and definitely isn't for sale in CA.

I like the LEM trigger too, but woe is you if it somehow doesn't pull back the hammer and you end up trying to yank that super-heavy hammer spring by yourself

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AFAICT, the only way that happens is if you drop the hammer on an empty chamber. It makes dry fire a pain, but if I pulled the trigger and got a click while on the clock, I'd immediate action drill rather than going for a re-strike.

Other than that, it's just about perfect. "A long 5-7 pound double action hammer trigger with a short reset for follow up shots that feels the same as the end of the DA pull, but if you let it all the way out, you're back at DA instead of having to manually decock" is just about everything I want after experimenting with different triggers for a few years.

Unfortunately, I can't have it in an optics ready gun sold in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Month 3 of tax stamp wait begins.