Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«248 »
Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Gtab posted:

You have got to realize he was kidding

He said "revolve" in that sentence. He knows they're revolvers. He may not have known what a cylinder is called, but he knew what a revolver was. It was phrased to be cute.

I don't assume anything when it comes to gun stupidity, especially with Canadians (No offense). You never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Beardless posted:

I don't assume anything when it comes to gun stupidity, especially with Canadians (No offense). You never know.

Your posting is poo poo and you are an awful 2011 (No offense).

Oliver Madly
Aug 17, 2008

I wanted a Ruger PC9 because I like pistol caliber carbines because I'm dumb. My Marlin Camp .45 has been a pain in the rear end and I wanted something better in a cheaper caliber. Lo and behold, while I was out making the rounds of the usual gun shops, I ran across a used one. I guess I still want it since I put it on layaway, but at least it will eventually be mine.

TheMurdererNxtDoor
Mar 30, 2012

where did you find a Camp 45? I've been looking for one for a while just to have and I can't find any.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Paul Coffey posted:

I personally want just one of those little pistols where the bullet holder part (I am such an idiot Canadian) revolves in the middle, a Detective Special. Just an idle fantasy I know but they look really cool, in my mind.

I got your little revolving middle right here.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'd like a revolver too now that I come to think of it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Today I want a Wilkinson Linda/Terry or a J&R M68, regardless of how terrible they can be.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

widefault posted:

Today I want a Wilkinson Linda/Terry or a J&R M68, regardless of how terrible they can be.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I've held them. They are so terrible in every way, and not terrible in that sort of Pug "so ugly they are cute". They are just, awful.

Oliver Madly
Aug 17, 2008

TheMurdererNxtDoor posted:

where did you find a Camp 45? I've been looking for one for a while just to have and I can't find any.

In a gun store in Birmingham, AL, about three years ago. The place I picked up the PC9 also had a Camp 9, but my experience with the .45 has driven me away from the series.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I've held them. They are so terrible in every way, and not terrible in that sort of Pug "so ugly they are cute". They are just, awful.

I don't know, I just want one. Tomorrow I probably won't, but if I had money and found one cheap enough...

edit: Screw the Linda/Terry, look at this god damned thing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=281695607

FN 1899, Serial 100A. Can't wait to see how much that goes for.

widefault fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2012 around 02:41

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

I impulse bought a second issue Detective Special last year because the price was great. It is such an amazingly awesome gun that I will never be without one. I will shoot this one until it falls apart and then buy another one.

It is just so satisfying to handle and shoot, words cannot explain it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Every time I start thinking about this I consider myself an rear end in a top hat, but really I'm just not very into 99% of revolvers.

The ones I am into are the crazy rear end PPC revolvers.

I loving L O V E these things

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

You're welcome (I posted most of those images)

I also love them deeply

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I just hit GIS for 'PPC revolver' every once in a while and drool for a little bit.

One of these days I'm going to price one and then never buy one because I doubt I'll be able to afford one

one one one one one

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Used they are super cheap. You can find old K-frame PPC guns for like $450-600 in Canada with all the bells and whistles; I can't imagine they'd be terribly more expensive in the States.

New, on the other hand, can get out of hand quick if you're not careful Especially if you're starting from an actual new revolver which runs, what, somewhere in the neighborhood grand for an S&W? Before the barrel, rib, smithing, etc etc etc.

But used they're really not so bad at all.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah, apparently they aren't terrible at all. I'll be damned.

After I get all my real wants out of the way and have a grand to spare, this might be where I start.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

First time I saw one I was convinced it had to be fictional - something off a movie set. It looks entirely insensible in a bad rear end sort of way.

I've read the heavy barrel lends itself to accuracy, but I don't understand why that would follow.

e:From the source page for the picture: "The weight of the solid steel around the barrel would have prevented, or at least lessened the muzzle lift and increased accuracy." All I can think of are sore wrists - but it's undeniably cool.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2012 around 05:33

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

That one is sadly deactivated

The Dan Wesson PPC is the prettiest factory PPC ever made.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Why would anyone deactivate a perfectly good awesome revolver?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

Why would anyone deactivate a perfectly good awesome revolver?

So some dork can play pretend with it in england

aemoosh
Sep 13, 2011

I'll just welcome myself a little late to the thread here... hello.....

And I'll point out that I am disappointed at the fact that no ones mentioned probably the coolest if I could have a gun gun ever. a P90/PS90.

The 5.7 round is insanely awesome, and I love my FiveseveN that you either love or hate. While I've heard a lot of trash about the pistol (feels like lego-gun? really?) I have never heard anyone mention a foul word on the carbine.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Nobody mentions them because they're stupid and incredibly expensive for being more or less a blowback gun that fires a hard to find, underpowered round. Also it's not THAT high capacity... 20 rounds isn't a huge advantage over 18.

As far as the carbine goes, it's still vastly underpowered compared to even something like 9mm in its NORMAL loadings. If you combine the fact that you can absolutely get SMG loadings for 9mm (and still find them more easily than 5.7x28), what's the point? Also the loading mechanism is awkward compared to regular box magazines. Oh, and with the easy availability of shorty assault rifles, why bother with SMGs anyway?

They're a neat curiosity but they're really hard to take seriously.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Automator posted:

If this had an unfluted cylinder I'd be all over it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Which one of you little hooligans mentioned politics?!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Nobody mentions them because they're stupid and incredibly expensive for being more or less a blowback gun that fires a hard to find, underpowered round. Also it's not THAT high capacity... 20 rounds isn't a huge advantage over 18.

As far as the carbine goes, it's still vastly underpowered compared to even something like 9mm in its NORMAL loadings. If you combine the fact that you can absolutely get SMG loadings for 9mm (and still find them more easily than 5.7x28), what's the point? Also the loading mechanism is awkward compared to regular box magazines. Oh, and with the easy availability of shorty assault rifles, why bother with SMGs anyway?

They're a neat curiosity but they're really hard to take seriously.

Not to mention having certain "durability" issues.

We used to have a guy around here, Martyr (something like that) who had a major hard on for those carbines (and flashlights) and even he kind of soured on the platform a bit when the charging handle came off in his hand. At least that's what I remember of it, I was a bit of a newbie when all that went down, I'm sure Gtab or someone who's been here longer than me will chime in with the real deal on that one soon.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Yes let's only talk about guns that are practical in this thread entitled "What gun do you want this instant?"

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/doubl...h-mp-412-e.html

I want one of these. I've wanted one of these for quite some time. It is unlikely that I will ever have one because the project was cancelled, the only existing examples are probably sitting in a dusty safe somewhere across the ocean thousands of miles away, and I don't think anyone makes a comparable model.

I want one so I can pretend to be a space detective.
shut up

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

Denzine posted:

Yes let's only talk about guns that are practical in this thread entitled "What gun do you want this instant?"

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/doubl...h-mp-412-e.html

I want one of these. I've wanted one of these for quite some time. It is unlikely that I will ever have one because the project was cancelled, the only existing examples are probably sitting in a dusty safe somewhere across the ocean thousands of miles away, and I don't think anyone makes a comparable model.

I want one so I can pretend to be a space detective.
shut up

If it is space detective you want, space detective you shall have

Stupid bad QC and stupid barrel seam

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

We used to have a guy around here, Martyr (something like that) who had a major hard on for those carbines (and flashlights) and even he kind of soured on the platform a bit when the charging handle came off in his hand. At least that's what I remember of it, I was a bit of a newbie when all that went down, I'm sure Gtab or someone who's been here longer than me will chime in with the real deal on that one soon.

I only lurked back then, but I think it was an FS2000 and the plastic charging handle broke. Possibly during a drive-by incident in his neighborhood, although that might have been a separate FS2000 story of his.

On Rhino chat, I kind of want the 9mm Rhino this instant. They're supposedly coming out soon, but I'm not chomping at the bit due to their lousy quality control. I think that would do it on the Rhinos for me.

I also want a Wolf Ultramatic. Sort of a mix between a CZ 75, 1911 and an MG-42, made in Austria.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at May 26, 2012 around 18:22

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

It's not that you can't have one because the project was cancelled, it's that the project was cancelled because you can't have one. Why manufacture a Revolver for EXport if it can't actually be exported to the target market? Write your congressman.

Anyway, the other issue with 5.7x28 is that it's pretty low pressure for what it is. Then again, other experiments with 5.7 mm pistol rounds have been... interesting... because very high pressure rounds in pistols is almost always an experience.

RIA is now chambering their 1911s in .22 TCM which is 9mm necked down for a .224 bullet, and it's pretty quick, but who knows what the barrel life will be like. At least it's locked breach! If you REALLY want insane, there's the original .224 BOZ, which necked down 10mm Auto for a .224 bullet, and apparently reached 2500+ fps with a 50 gr projectile (!!!). Unfortunately it also nuked guns. They originally tested it in a Glock 20, and nuked it. They also tested it in a 1911, and nuked it.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I also want a Wolf Ultramatic. Sort of a mix between a CZ 75, 1911 and an MG-42, made in Austria.
I believe the designer of that is also the guy behind the Hogue Avenger 1911 upper, which is (as far as I can tell) available here in the states, if you are interested. I'd get one if I wasn't a poor grad student, just because it's neat.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2012 around 17:41

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

I like turtles posted:

If it is space detective you want, space detective you shall have

Huh, somehow I never noticed the rail on that thing. It has to look goofy as gently caress (well, more so than normal) with anything of any size attached there.

Though that spacegun style is practically begging for a laser there.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

But that's not a top-break or polymer.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I believe the designer of that is also the guy behind the Hogue Avenger 1911 upper, which is (as far as I can tell) available here in the states, if you are interested. I'd get one if I wasn't a poor grad student, just because it's neat.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

Yeah, he did do that. Or at least it's inspired by it, from what I recall.

There's something less exotic and interesting about a Hogue add-on for regular 1911s, though.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Yeah, he did do that. Or at least it's inspired by it, from what I recall.

There's something less exotic and interesting about a Hogue add-on for regular 1911s, though.

To be fair though, it's not really a Hogue product, they just import it (and put a small rollmark on there). The Austrian company that normally sells it is called PowerSpeed Trading Ltd. so I'm not sure I'd rather have that name on the product anyway!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

LifeSizePotato posted:

On Rhino chat, I kind of want the 9mm Rhino this instant. They're supposedly coming out soon, but I'm not chomping at the bit due to their lousy quality control. I think that would do it on the Rhinos for me.

I only have one data point so far, but the recent Rhino I played with that had the factory front fiber sight seemed pretty solid.

The 9mm rhino listed on the Chiappa site is in 9x21, which would make it, of course, somewhat less attractive in terms of "I can afford to shoot this a lot".

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Oh Italy, you're so silly!

edit: Also, another bottleneck pistol caliber that is still infinitely superior to 5.7x28 is 9x25mm Dillon. Still unpleasant to shoot though, even with a compensator. Lotsa bitching about concussion!

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2012 around 18:08

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think it was an FS2000 and the plastic charging handle broke.
Yeah, it was an FS2000, not a PS90.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

aemoosh posted:

I'll just welcome myself a little late to the thread here... hello.....

And I'll point out that I am disappointed at the fact that no ones mentioned probably the coolest if I could have a gun gun ever. a P90/PS90.

The 5.7 round is insanely awesome, and I love my FiveseveN that you either love or hate. While I've heard a lot of trash about the pistol (feels like lego-gun? really?) I have never heard anyone mention a foul word on the carbine.

I could give you a lot of foul words on the carbine but since this is the POSITIVE ZONE thread I'm just gonna smile and wish you good luck ^_______^

Cyrano4747 posted:

Myrtar, and that was an FS2000 not a P90. I have fired that FS2000. Prior to its damage.

ATTN IDIOTS: this is not the thread where we are jerks to people for wanting stupid stuff That is "every other thread".

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

A PS90 in 22LR would be pretty rad, though.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Bummey posted:

A PS90 in 22LR would be pretty rad, though.

if you figure out how to make that already preposterous magazine carry fifty rounds of .22LR you'd be a hero to hundreds or possibly even one thousand people.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bummey posted:

A PS90 in any caliber besides 5.7 would be pretty rad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

A P90 in 9mm would be pretty rad. Evil mutant monkeys not so much.

«248 »