Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«242 »
darnon
Nov 8, 2009

I like turtles posted:

YOU WANT TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO BUY MACHINEGUNS?!!!???

I don't think the soccer moms have quite figured out those aren't illegal yet. Well, at least they aren't if you don't live in a crappy state that doesn't let you have any fun.

The joke will be on us, anyways. They'll go electronic and decide they don't need as much staff and the wait time will actually become longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

My favorite thing about this picture is the fact that the owner bought an immensely expensive gun and then put shittastic CAA stuff on it.

I can sympathize, usually when I buy some massively expensive toy I am out of money for any doodads to paste onto it and end up buying cheap crap.

That said if I had a scar I would not put anything on it except my genitals.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

soy posted:

What other guns would you put your genitals on?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

powers posted:

All of them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

powers posted:

Ones that haven't recently fired several hundred consecutive rounds.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

soy posted:

I can sympathize, usually when I buy some massively expensive toy I am out of money for any doodads to paste onto it and end up buying cheap crap.

they come with a2 grips which aren't great so i completely understand why he'd want a different grip on it

besides, it's just a grip, and i doubt even CAA can gently caress one up that badly, though that particular style is not for me!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: these are all perfectly legitimate reasons to own a gun, says the man who needs to mail out a money order for milsurp from Luxembourg

e:

Here's the gun I want right now:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at Nov 16, 2012 around 07:01

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So the local shop where I found my Model 8 & Marlin Mountie is turning out to be some kind of used-grandpa-gun Mecca... Just yeasterday I saw four Winchester 1897s, four Auto 5s, a mix of vintage Winchester 92s/94s, and more 45-70s than I've ever seen in one place.

I need to stop going in there between paydays

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Naramyth posted:

They are pretty rad and implement a lot of modern ergonomic concepts.

As a SCAR17 owner...What he said. Also, not an AR. Also significantly lighter than an AR, more accurate.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Are they actually lighter than an AR? I was under the impression that pretty much no modern rifle was actually lighter than an AR due to the use of a piston in most modern guns, which tends to add enough extra weight to offset anything else that was picked up (which won't be much, the AR15 doesn't exactly have a ton of places to cut weight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

Are they actually lighter than an AR? I was under the impression that pretty much no modern rifle was actually lighter than an AR due to the use of a piston in most modern guns, which tends to add enough extra weight to offset anything else that was picked up (which won't be much, the AR15 doesn't exactly have a ton of places to cut weight.

Arfcom said that on average the SCAR16 is 1/2LB lighter than an AR. The 17 is a bit heavier obviously.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

In almost 14 years here I've never had my avatar changed by someone else, other than I was about 30th in line for a (frankly, rather uninspired) pony avatar. I feel left out.

JaySB posted:

Arfcom said that on average the SCAR16 is 1/2LB lighter than an AR.

How do they know what the average AR weighs?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

Craptacular posted:

How do they know what the average AR weighs?

My guess would be just defining "average" as "baseline un-adorned M4gery."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

In almost 14 years here I've never had my avatar changed by someone else, other than I was about 30th in line for a (frankly, rather uninspired) pony avatar. I feel left out.

Cyrano4747 posted:

My guess would be just defining "average" as "baseline un-adorned M4gery."

I don't think that's the case. Wikipedia lists an M4 carbine as 6.4 lb empty, and a SCAR-L as 7.3 lb empty. Both of those have ~14" barrels but the extra two inches should increase the weight roughly the same amount on civilian rifles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

- scrooge mcduck

Well, there's always the possibility that ARFcom is just full of poo poo and/or trying to justify spending a bunch of money on a new toy.

Not that "Because I think it's neat and I want it" isn't a fine justification for buying something, but we all know how people tend to want to come up with some reason why they need something, rather than just want it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

NovemberMike posted:

Change the shape/size of the lower is probably the easiest way to trim weight. And no buffer tube system.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Change the shape/size of the lower is probably the easiest way to trim weight. And no buffer tube system.

Right, except that a stripped lower is something like .6 lbs and the buffer tube is used for rigidity for the stock (and isn't that heavy either), so I'm not sure that there's much weight to lose on either part.

Also, I thought it was just common knowledge that a SCAR 16 was about a pound heavier than an M4. I didn't even know people were saying the opposite.

EDIT: Yeah, even the HK416 is about a pound heavier than the M4 at the same barrel length. AR's are about as light as a gun can be for that general configuration and adding a piston system makes it heavier.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at Nov 17, 2012 around 20:41

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yeah, but the 416 uses pretty much the exact same lower design as the AR, so of course there isn't any weight savings with that. The thing with SCARs and ACRs and all of the newer guns is that they don't.

I'm also just completely guessing here, those were the first things that came to mind.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I want a browning citori or one of those beretta's. I like to shoot clays right in their stupid face.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, but the 416 uses pretty much the exact same lower design as the AR, so of course there isn't any weight savings with that. The thing with SCARs and ACRs and all of the newer guns is that they don't.
Both of those guns use AR-15 magazines and AR-15 fire control assemblies and do not realistically differ dimensionally enough from an AR-15 to save weight through using a few cubic centimeters less aluminum in the receiver. The ACR, of course, could do it by using plastic instead. (Edit: but doesn't, apparently)

Pitch fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2012 around 08:05

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Now that the AK-shaped hole in my life has been filled, I only have a few remaining itches to scratch.

.357 with full underlug, FAL, 1911. Maybe a SCAR if I get bored. Oh, and then a suppressed SBR. poo poo.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Fifty Three posted:

Now that the AK-shaped hole in my life has been filled, I only have a few remaining itches to scratch.

.357 with full underlug, FAL, 1911. Maybe a SCAR if I get bored. Oh, and then a suppressed SBR. poo poo.

Lug,lug,lug.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Fifty Three posted:

There is no end, you'll keep finding holes to jam things in.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

My father wants a Sig P290. Anybody have any experience with these?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Fifty Three posted:

Are you still in State College? You need to shoot my full underlug 44

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Mad Dragon posted:

My father wants a Sig P290. Anybody have any experience with these?

IR35 is pretty enamored with his.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Are you still in State College? You need to shoot my full underlug 44
I think I did. You had a sexy sexy wheelgun of some type when we went. That trigger was... something else. Alas, I have moved to the Pittsburgh area following my graduation.

Welp.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Bummey posted:

IR35 is pretty enamored with his.

Yup. I really need to shoot it more, but I've put a box through it with no issues, and it's surprisingly accurate... but keep in mind I love DAO guns for precision work.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

beanieson posted:

call of duty + flat dark earth
Uh hello the Scar sucks in CoD

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Fifty Three posted:

.357 with full underlug
Don't listen to the Ruger weenies, get yourself a Dan Wesson and EWK assembly.

Extra Heavy Dan Wesson by junk box, on Flickr

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

I am having a really hard time telling myself I want a suppressor instead of an EWK barrel and trip to be nickel boron'd.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Propagandalf posted:

I am having a really hard time telling myself I want a suppressor instead of an EWK barrel and trip to be nickel boron'd.

Oooh! Do that. gently caress waiting six months. Get the fiber optic front sight while you're at it.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2012 around 06:46

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Parts Kit posted:

Don't listen to the Ruger weenies

Rugers can be fun, too.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

infrared35 posted:

Rugers can be fun, too.

I think you'd be more comfortable over at that range.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Parts Kit is currently winning fyi

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I want the 1950 K-22 that I shot yesterday. It was a loving laser.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Naramyth posted:

You never want to touch mine. Granted, mine's a 1953 so I can see why you'd turn up your nose...

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Naramyth posted:

Yes, yes it was, any of the post war pre 1960's K-22s will be a loving laser unless it has been destroyed through abuse.

I know I sperg about these drat things a bit over much, but I really have to say that until you can compare say, a taurus, or even a new smith to one of these 50's guns it just doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

You never want to touch mine. Granted, mine's a 1953 so I can see why you'd turn up your nose...

Too young for me, baby.

Also you had like 40 pistols. It probably got lost in the shuffle.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Yes, yes it was, any of the post war pre 1960's K-22s will be a loving laser unless it has been destroyed through abuse.

I know I sperg about these drat things a bit over much, but I really have to say that until you can compare say, a taurus, or even a new smith to one of these 50's guns it just doesn't make sense.

The only double action trigger I have shot that was better then it was a 686 that went though the performance shop. It was truly magical.

«242 »