Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«247 »
madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Action-Bastard posted:

gently caress me that G36. You could just get an SL8 barrel and bolt to get it running couldn't you?

(Cut the barrel down to 16" while you're at it of course)

Didn't one of the Canadian contingent do it the other way around with an SL8 converted to a G36? Seemed like a pain in the butt. I think he used a torched G36 parts kit though.

Speaking of that, the G36 design has been deemed by the Germans as defective, bring on the Spanish surplus guns! Don't mind the wandering zero, we bought the Mini-14 for years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

madeintaipei posted:

Speaking of that, the G36 design has been deemed by the Germans as defective, bring on the Spanish surplus guns! Don't mind the wandering zero, we bought the Mini-14 for years!

People keep bringing this up. I was under the assumption the hubub from the past year or two was only in one particular batch of G36s that used a cheaper polymer formulation. I did a lazy search and can't find any specifics, just "poo poo's hosed" sensationalizing and conflicting info from too any different sources.

still forever want g36c

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Stainless Taurus M380, pile of moon clips, spring kit to lighten the hammer straight out of the box.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

Flying the friendly skies in relative safet-oh god the engine fell off

Fun Shoe

Butch Cassidy posted:

Stainless Taurus M380, pile of moon clips, spring kit to lighten the hammer straight out of the box.

didn't even know this gun existed, bit of an odd one

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

Why, when they make a 9mm revolver?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

MrTuffPaws posted:

Why, when Taurus?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Butch Cassidy posted:

Are we allowed to ask why?

Because WHHHHHY?!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Because someone greenlit the project to make a 9mm Corto snub.

Alternately because a literal pinch of Trailboss under a 105 grain semi-wadcutter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Butch Cassidy posted:

Alternately because a literal pinch of Trailboss under a 105 grain semi-wadcutter.

But...it's a Taurus?

The literal worst guns.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Captain Log posted:

But...it's a Taurus?

The literal worst guns.

Not the worst guns, just no QC to speak of.

There are worse guns, like Heritage Rough Riders, the Winchester 1911, a Hess FN Fal, a Raven, etc.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

What you need is an old .38/44 Heavy Duty...

Edit: Or just convert: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/782068415

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2018 around 20:50

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

"I have an urge to try this thing with a revolver. Be a shame to ruin a gun, though."

Captain Log posted:

But...it's a Taurus

"I wonder what this handload recipe would do out of a snub? Be a shame to risk a nice recolver, though."

Captain Log posted:

But...it's a Taurus

"Sticking 380 ACP in moon clips and running it through a revolver would allow a teeny, tiny gun and short cylinder. Even with a steel frame, it'd be shorter and ans light as an LCR. Could be a hilariously fun mousegun at the range. Be expensive, though."

Captain Log posted:

But...it's priced like a Taurus

There is no hesitation to get real freaky with a cheap, warrantied gun.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Doesn't modifying it void the warranty?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

"Good morning, sir, this is Joe with customer service, how can I help you?"

"My M380 has developed some endshake amd the timing is getting a bit sloppy. Was wondering if y'all could service that."

"Do you have any idea how that happened?"

"No. Just noticed it after running some 148 grain hollow-base wadcutters through a 0.356 in. sozing die, seating flush with the end of the cylinder over a charge of Unique, and watching the little lead cans spiral downramge into some milk jugs."

Anyone who wouldn't want to hear the end of that conversation is no friend of mine.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Alright, if we are torturing the piece with mods, I'm at peace.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Fun Shoe

"God drat it Butch, this your 5th one this year!"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

Alright, if we are torturing the piece with mods, I'm at peace.

You probably haven't ever seen pictures of Butch's Hipoint of Very Poor Decisions, or his Harlequin Hipoint (which may or may not be the same gun, I can't keep track). He's got a Hipoint carbine in .389, and he wants to concoct a handload that'll break 3000 fps in it. A Taurus revolver in .380 in nothing.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There's also that. I have a .380 carbine, a compensated .380 the size of and heavier than a Beretta 92 Brigadier, and a teeny moonclip snub would slot nicely into the collection of Cortos.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Bummey posted:

People keep bringing this up. I was under the assumption the hubub from the past year or two was only in one particular batch of G36s that used a cheaper polymer formulation. I did a lazy search and can't find any specifics, just "poo poo's hosed" sensationalizing and conflicting info from too any different sources.

still forever want g36c

HK needed a new contract. There's still a tonne of speculation about that whole thing, but I remember TFBTV putting out a stress test video where they had no issue, so. I believe that a batch of G36s had material issues that led to wandering zeroes, and they capitalized and sensationalized to justify a new contract for the Bundeswehr.

As for SL8 conversions, they are indeed a pain in the rear end. This is because the rear of the SL8 receiver is a fair bit different from from the G36, purposely so as to avoid people throwing G36 stocks onto an SL8. This is either HK trying their damndest to accomodate the AWB, or HK saying you suck and we hate you, depending on how you feel about HK. There's various ways around this roadblock in the conversion process, but none of them seem ideal.

However, on the topic of G36s in Canada... There are actually a handful of G36Ps (something like 10 of each barrel length configuration) in Canada, which are identical to a G36 except for having a semi-auto only trigger pack. The story is that a film prop company ordered them from HK, and then when the company went bankrupt they just sold them on the civilian market since they were legal. You see the odd one pop up on EEs, and they always command like $10,000+.

I once really really wanted a G36. Then I realized how crazy expensive it would be to buy or convert one, and realized they're not really that special other than spacegun. Now I just mostly want a G36.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Got to play with a Sig P365 this week. It is a stupid small gun and actually useable with my largish hands. I hear their is a replacement striker even.

I hate buying first gen anything, but this little siren might just be useful to me.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Beretta PX4 in 45 ACP and a S&W 4566. Plus a new press to leave set for large primers, bullet mold, and dies.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Someone call the https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781961405

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

I think a ps90 will round out the FN long guns I want.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

TheAsterite posted:

I think a ps90 will round out the FN long guns I want.

There's a distinct lack of FN Five Seven there to go with the P90

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shalafi4 posted:

There's a distinct lack of FN Five Seven there to go with the P90

The Five-Seven is a dumb pistol. Dumb.

Unless you own a P90 as well, and then itís amazing. Itís a weird dynamic.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Having a P90 doesn't make the Five-Seven less dumb, it just means you're already mentally predisposed towards bad decision making

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If some part of you can't enjoy a 20-round flamethrowing handgun that weighs next to nothing while feeding on teeny little bottleneck cartridges, you just hate fun.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I just wish FN would make something else in 5.7. Or some other company. There's literally just two guns you can use the drat thing in, and those stupid AR uppers.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Probably doesn't help that Kel-Tec makes the PMR-30 that holds ten more rounds of a somewhat cheaper rimfire, has a very good trigger, and still sports a muzzle blast like the second coming of Christ. You can tick a lot of the FN boxes for less money.

See also the CMR-30.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Yeah, but they just suck so terribly

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I just wish FN would make something else in 5.7. Or some other company. There's literally just two guns you can use the drat thing in, and those stupid AR uppers.

Part of me wants a bolty that can take P90 mags. For maximum wtf.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Now that's using your head! Hmm, didn't FN make some Mausers? Seems like a great project.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Probably like King Nazi

The 5 7 I shot was much more fun than the PS90 I shot. I think that would change if the p90 was auto as intended

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Thanks to y'all I now know there's a thing called the FN M249S.

Now, how do I justify that to local law enforcement...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

The 5 7 I shot was much more fun than the PS90 I shot. I think that would change if the p90 was auto as intended

Yeah auto P90s are fun as hell

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Pursesnatcher posted:

Thanks to y'all I now know there's a thing called the FN M249S.

Now, how do I justify that to local law enforcement...

Put a 10 round magazine in it and call it a sporting rifle. Fucker even comes with a bi-pod!

I want the Para version, but if I'm spending $8.5k on a gun it'll be that FK BRNO with that fancy moon round.

vklink
Apr 2, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

There are comedy options ...
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mp...-7x28mm-pistol/

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Welp, that's a new one to me. That almost wraps all the way back around to being legitimately awesome.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Probably like King Nazi

I had a shockwave and quickly decided it was a stupid gun to shoot but really fun as a pondering piece. The cool factor just didn't outweigh how much the shooting sucked.

Now remington has this one, and the wood furniture and +1 tube make it just so much cooler even though it's made by a shittier company. Goddamn I want it

https://grabagun.com/remington-80561.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

For $400 I think I'd just go the long route and spend like $100 more and make a full size Wingmaster into a SBS.

Does look nice though.

«247 »