Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

5.5" Vaquero in .357 Mag.

Working across from Cabela's is such a loving curse. Every time I want to grope something, there's one a hundred yards from my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

After a stop at Cabela's on the way out of East Hartford, I still want an M9.

I DO NOT want an M&P 9mm. Is the idea there to have no tactile trigger reset at all?

Ugh.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I finally threw down on a Beretta 92. I don't have to pine anymore!

At first it felt weird and anticlimactic to own one after lusting for it so long, but a week of fingerbanging it nonstop erased that.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

priznat posted:

I dig 92s, they feel awesome in my hand.

This is why I like mine.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I'm kind of at a weird fork since I got to finally have my Beretta 92, which was something I lusted hard after for a long time.

I do not know what direction I should go in:

1) Single-action revolver

2) 5.45 AK (inexplicably, these are legal in Connecticut)

3) Gimpy-rear end postban AR

4) Marlin 1894 with Skinner "tactical" sights, rail, and a red dot

E: Or a 1911.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Both of these chambered in the same cartridge.

This is what I was thinking. Handloads in .357 could even share H110 with my M1 Carbine.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Wish I had a shitload of money so I could pimp out a CZ 527 in .223 with a Rifle Basix trigger or something and a shitload of glass.

Also I wish there were ranges in Connecticut longer than 100 yards!

Or a Skinner-sighted, cowitnessing-red-dot Marlin 1894. I am still not over that.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Have you fired one? The factory adjustable singe-set trigger is actually really, really loving nice.

I mean I know this is the thread for magical fantasies but I'm just sayin it's not like most other mass-produced boltguns where you need to spend $$$ on a fancy trigger just to get it below 3lbs vv

Nope, nobody I know is into CZs. I would very much like to own a 527 to play with and determine if an aftermarket non-set trigger is worth it though!

Set triggers always strike me as so weird.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Oh god I have been all over the map.

I made a logical gun purchase and picked up a new scope for my CZ 452 to murder squirrels with in a couple of months, and it's like my brain went haywire.

I want a vz.58 so hard, a Dynacomp-ed AR, a .357 lever gun, a Model 19, a Single Six, and a Vaquero.

And a Raven holster and two mag carriers for my Beretta.

And I want a 10/22 to tacticlol like gently caress.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Marlin 1894 / .357 Mag
Skinner tactical sights
Wild West trigger pack
XS scout rail
Some kind of cowitness micro-dot
VLTOR offset light mount
Saddle ring safety replacement + single-point sling

I am kind of ashamed but I want this gun bad.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I want Ruger to make a solid-top, pistol-cartridge, lever-action carbine, because apparently Remington isn't interested in making a good one.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I would even 100% buy that if I could get some 10/22-style accessories for it and it was chambered for .357 Mag.

They're like circling around the subject anyway with that dippy pistol-caliber bolt action, why not just make a lever gun to go with their Vaqueros? The CAS crowd would flip poo poo if they could buy rifles as competition-durable as a Vaquero/New Vaquero instead of having to get a gunsmith to work over a Rossi or spend crazy dollars on a reproduction from Uberti. There's definitely a void they can fill with something like that since Remlin.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

A Glock 17.

In OD, so I can add Magpul basepads and Warren Tacticals and make it as obnoxious as possible .

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I want a Beretta 84BB, because it's just like my 92FS, except proportionately fatter.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

A real-deal Beretta rimfire conversion kit (unobtainable and $400 = ).

Technically not a gun.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Pretty much what Gtab said, plus coming from 1911's and Glocks I dislike having 2 very different trigger pulls on a gun.

Is there a point where this starts to turn around in a non-defensive shooting environment? I put up with DA/SA because it's what my Beretta has and I like everything else about it enough to deal, but the more I practice out of a holster the more I kind of like pressing out and rolling through the first shot. I also kind of feel like it forces me to dryfire more often and more carefully.

I mean, I suck royally at doing that, but I like shooting handguns because they're meditative and I can definitely feel more of that mindfulness at work when I am just trying to pull through the DA trigger and get a flat finish. When I switch to the SAO trigger on my rimfire handgun my attention has a tendency to wander while shooting paper because instead of just shooting I start sneaking looks at the target, or noticing how awesome my dumb 7-yard group is, or any other number of things.

It also makes every other gun feel super-duper easy to shoot, which is kind of nice.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Still maybe someone would do the concept right eventually...like Remington or Marlin

What has been done to Marlin is loving inexcusable.

Marlin should be at the height of their power right now, flooding their backyard market with well-made 1894Cs to bail out the flood of Connecticut residents looking for ban-proof carbines, and maybe coming up with a useful way to put a flashlight on their guns.

God drat you, Cerberus.

I would kill a man for a decent 1894 in .357 (or .45 Colt) with Skinner "tactical" sights, a cowitnessing red dot, and a light mount that actually worked.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Has anyone handled the Remington R51 yet? Apparently they exist in the wild and I've been thinking about tracking one down.

I did, weeks and weeks ago - but it was one of the prototypes, not a production gun, and I didn't get to shoot it. They do exist in the wild, though, because Remington just started shipping them.

What questions do you have? If it's something I can answer I'll take a crack at it.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Servicio en Espanol posted:

The other day I had a wild urge to get the R-51 as a CCW piece. This is way, way, early to be thinking about actually doing this with so little actual performance info, but it is obvious Remington had this in mind for the gun when they designed it. With that usage in mind (and assuming it is not a jamtastic hand grenade) do you think it would measure up? Slim, handles well, etc? I'm also interested in your thoughts on the trigger and the grip safety, since I've heard disparaging things about the trigger.

I'd like Remington to do well here since they are trying something new (with a 99 year old design) but my local gat shop hasn't had any in for me to judge for myself.

I was told the gun I handled was 30% production parts (frame, slide, I think the grip safety and a couple other things) and 70% not, so take it with a grain of salt.

In terms of size it was like a thinner, much less bricky Glock 19. I wouldn't call it a subcompact at all, but I think it would carry pretty well. I didn't mind the grip safety because it has a very positive feel, and there really wasn't a way to grip the gun and not depress it. It was also fit well to the frame and it wasn't rough at all like TFR's favorite punching bag described on TTAG.

The grip is VERY high relative to the bore, which I liked, and to go back to the G19 comparison I think there's more grip-area-to-height on the R51 so you get more purchase in the same overall space. The trigger is hinged with a trigger bar, so it's not literally lifted from the Pedersen design like I was hoping. The break was good at around 5 pounds or so, no complaints at all, but reset was hard to feel. It made me think of an M&P trigger, but without the mushy DAO striker-gun feel. Reset wasn't horribly long, it was just hard to pick up.

Super easy to rack, though. That part's absolutely true.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Two weeks of dryfiring my PPQ like a madman and now I'm thinking about a PPS to go with it because I just want a Walther in on me all the time.

Are the smaller guns anywhere near as awesome? I am 100% in love with the PPQ but I know a PPS isn't the same gun.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

A longslide PPQ in 9mm.

Appendix holster finally showed up for the standard version and I like it even more now.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

loud-bob posted:

I want a P7 ... but they appear to be extremely expensive.

Can someone explain the P7 thing to me? Are they rare in the US or something, or is it all from Die Hard?

I look at them and never really understand why P7s get drooled over by apparently everyone (even extending into the real world, not just the internet) but the last time I saw a Walther P5 in a gun store I was by far the only person who cared or knew what it was so it can't be the "old German gun" factor.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

I discovered today that Marlin was going to release a 38/357 lever action in 2012 that had a modern style stock, big loop lever, and included ghost ring sights with rail. It is exactly the gun I want, but then they moved the plant after being bought my Remington and the idea just vanished.

Remington bought Marlin in 2007.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

If it is any consolation if they had made it the thing would have been crap most likely. Those last marlins were not exactly quality guns.

If it's any further consolation, Remington is putting the 1894 back into significant production this year on brand-new machinery.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I want a 5" 1911, bad. I have the opportunity to get an R1 Carry at well below sticker and I'm thinking about it since the bugs appear to have been worked out of the Ilion line (corrected VIS, etc) but the Series 80 FPS gives me pause.

Is that something I can clean up myself?

Butch Cassidy posted:

I want a Walther CCP.

Why would you want an Arnsberg Walumarexther?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I'm looking at slightly below a milspec price for the nicest Remington model but yes my other "want that gun" is a Springer MC Operator or TRP.

gently caress Colt into the ground, I hope they get liquidated. I'm not giving them a cent.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I am seriously thinking about doing this:

Remington 700 Police LTR in .223 Rem
Badger trigger guard for 10-round AI poly mags
Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP

I don't really have a good reason for the fancy glass & reticle beyond "That is some sparkly-rear end poo poo and I want it", but on paper this looks like it would be the grownup centerfire version of the 452 Varmint/V-16 I used to earn a Rifleman patch. I do wonder how a 40X trigger compares to the Rifle Basix unit in my CZ - but I would assume pretty well.

Intended use would be KD Appleseeds and special trips to the CMP's 600-yard range in Talladega, or for practicing positional shooting at the local WMA's 100-yard range. I'm not convinced that I need to step up to a bigger cartridge to hit AQT targets since distances are reasonable, and anyway the lack of recoil / lower practice cost seems more important than a more powerful cartridge.

But I may still change my mind.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

CBJamo posted:

S&W M&P 22 compact

Was just at a gun show feeling up many, many 22 pistols (sr22, mk1/2/3/45, buckmark, neos, sw2213, both full size 1911 and mini-1911s, probably a couple I'm forgetting). The m&p felt the best in my hands. Still want to shoot a few before I make a final call, but the m&p is nice. Hopefully I'll have the cash to pick one up soon.

I handled one of these a little while back and was surprised by how much I liked it. Neat little guns.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I woke up this morning and I want a Five-Seven. Like, it will happen someday.

I brushed my teeth staring in the mirror at a man I no longer know.

Oh poo poo.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I can't believe I'm asking this but are any 5.7x28 hollowpoint loads viable for self-defense?

I would carry the gently caress out of that thing if so.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

That's better than I expected, to be honest.

It's a fun gun want for sure. I'll have to track a rental down and see if it's as fun as I want it to be - thanks for the info duders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Wilson CQB Commander in 9mm. Black slide and small parts, burnt bronze or gray frame. Not sure how gaudy burnt bronze is IRL.

No flutes in the barrel, standard (long) trigger, magwell. "CQB COMMANDER" billboard delete, and something very small engraved on the rear of the slide (right side).

This would be to match a full-size 9mm that I should never have picked up. It ruined me on all other 9mm handguns, forever.