Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Goofy revolvers fall into that category of poo poo I'll probably never be able to justify buying but drat if it ain't fun thinking about 'em. Itty bitty shotguns are just fun. Really don't know how I could resist a combination of the two.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2012 around 01:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You could buy a modernized one...
http://www.cabelas.com/pistols-lemat-revolver.shtml

I know about the modernized ones, I also know they're the better part of $1K without even getting into all the BP setup you'd need, for something that's basically good for popping off ten rounds an hour at the range and nothing else. Again, fun to think about.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2012 around 01:49

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

I just have an unshakeable mental picture of unscrewing the plastic shell on that thing and finding, like, a 10/22 inside.

Proper guns should have lots of workin's and metal bits all over the outside so you can tell that they shoot

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2012 around 03:22

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Shaddak posted:

Sorry for the poor quality, but this:

Too easy.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

GreglFaggins posted:

If I could find a good copy:

Though it has been said that the Century Golani sporters have gotten better.

Apex has been selling those poo poo-cheap parts kits for months now. They taunt me, why won't they just sell out already, I don't draw that kind of income anymore.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

I just recently learned that ~somewhere~ in the family is a Luger my recently-passed grandfather brought back from serving in WWII. Nobody has any clue what happened to it. Maybe one of my uncles got it. Maybe it's locked in a cabinet somewhere. Maybe he dumped it at a police buyback.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

LifeSizePotato posted:

Been lusting after Sphinxes again for the past week or so.

Daaaamn where can I get my very own movie drug kingpin gun

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Gtab posted:

I dont have a problem discussing costs with basically anyone, it's not like I can possibly have anything to lose. I do not see how, in a hobby entirely about buying stuff (guns, ammo, gear) people can be sensitive about discussing prices with other people inside the hobby. I mean if I was like "yeah I paid $29 for this ammo" and the dude was like "heh, you paid $8 too much, go _________ next time" or "i paid $700 for this gun" and he says "wow nice deal" or "next time call Wolverine and say Peter Nutjuice sent you" I'm profiting either way on future endeavors.

I can maybe see not discussing prices with non-gun people because I don't want them being like "YOUR AUTOMATIC ASSAULT PISTOL ONLY COST $600 THAT IS INSANE ANYONE CAN AFFORD THAT!!!" if they're spastic idiots; or if they're just general morons who do not understand value/hobbies then they might be like, "BUT THAT IS SO MUCH MONEY WHY WOULD YOU WASTE SO MUCH MONEY ON JUST ONE GUN THAT'S CRAZY YOU SHOULD HAVE SPENT THAT CASH DRINKING WITH ME, WE WENT CAMPING LAST MONTH WITH $400 WORTH OF BEER FOR THE FIRST TWO DAYS ALONE IT WAS loving NUTS MAN, NUTS, REALLY EPIC BRO!" That would get really loving irritating I guess. But with other shooters? Discussing prices can only help or do nothing, it can't hurt.

I dunno I just don't hold price/money as sacred secrets I guess.

You forgot the more probable random-range-dude response, which'd be something like "PSSH YOU GOT RIPPED OFF MY RANGER COUSIN COULD GET THESE FOR $20 BACK IN 1980", but more likely it's just that loads of people are super touchy about discussing anything money-related generally. IDK where it comes from or why I'm supposed to dread anyone ever finding out what I pull annually or what I spend on food/hobbies/rent/whatever but I've met a hell of a lot of people who regard any discussion/questions from anyone regarding their money as about on par with strangers asking about what they're like in bed.

Anyway that dude sounds awesome but there's a dude who shows up at the Cove sometime with his collection of MP5s. As in, he brings enough to share with the whole class.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2012 around 08:31

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Radiohead71 posted:

Not a gun, but a destructive device. I want an M3 Carl Gustav.

Don't know where I'd fire it, though.

Anywhere you want

priznat posted:

5.56x45, 7.5"

I never cared much for the look of the VZ58 but I'll take a dozen of these.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

rossmum posted:

Every single one of these.

(I'd actually like an M39 in general, and I know where to find some, but they're ungodly expensive - over a grand each. I'm probably going to have to wait until someone puts one up cheaper, or I move back to Canada )

Where do you live???

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Awesome oldschool scoped models are a different story, ofc

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

wilfoy posted:

lol TFR is so weird about some things

Mini-30: a really cool gun
Mini-14: OMG IT'S poo poo STAY AWAY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

To answer the question, Mini-30's are really cool and you'll regret selling it for a bolt-action. The obvious solution is to save up some money so you can have both.

The difference is nobody expects a 7.62x39 rifle to hit anything

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

NickBlasta posted:

Jesus, $500? I bought one from there when they were $150, tops.

I got one when they were ~$250 and have been about it ever since

Best and cheapest shooter I ever had, I just dread the day I don't clean it properly after shooting or something and it gets eaten up by corrosion.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

DrPop posted:

Is this website A Real Thing? Why is there audio from Platoon playing?

How can a website that sells six-figure firearms be so lovely?

Because it's run by a gun shop

The niche NFA stuff especially is always on some dude's Geocities page

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Does Chiappa actually make things that are acceptably good? I thought they were pushin' the Keltec zone of 'cool concept, terrible execution' but that might just be from the Rhino

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

The pitting isn't bad, I'd pretty much just reblue it so it doesn't get much worse.

Bet the barrel's a wreck though.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

infrared35 posted:

That would be awesome if I actually owned the house where I'm living.

Yup

Also maybe things are different in fairylands like the PacNW where you can just like go outside and shoot things on a mountaintop whenever you feel like it but out here it's not that uncommon for the average house normal people can afford to be like 'all the books keep warping' bad. An old gun in the white? Come July you can watch it rust.

I forgot these existed and oh hey they're like $100 more now

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

So just to check, the OA clones are loving terrible, right? Because I could totally afford one of those.

Also there's nothing wrong with nickel finish provided it's on an art deco raygun, stupid huge revolver, or you're a Mexican gangster.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Why'd all the Saigas just jump in price like $100, Izhmash bankruptcy panic?

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Jun 2, 2012 around 23:05

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Oh yeah so what's the deal with that now, anyways? I assume it's not 'literally Izhmash going out of business, no more AKs ever' but I haven't been following the story too closely. Like, is this the best prices are gonna get for a few years, or more like eight months?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

That's not too hard to do at all if you don't mind it being blued.

That's a Dan Wesson 15

Plus an EWK Barrel Assembly

Then add your sight rib.

Surprisingly affordable.

Hnnnngh gently caress I've been slobbering over these revolvers forever and had no idea they could be had so cheap, but I just bought a bunch of less-cool guns and am out of gun money

We're talking like serious mental anguish here people

On that note I want all the poo poo I impulse-bought to show up already, when is Gunbroker going to get with the times and offer Prime >

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Not when you remember them being like $60 four years back.

I bet you can't even buy them by the crate anymore.

But yeah if you don't already have a Mosin and have, like, any income you might as well go ahead and get one. 54R's cheaper than 9mm.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

MariusLecter posted:

Will do.
It'll be my first time using stripper clips, can't wait.

Get the brass ones on Ebay

Loads of people sell new steel ones that are loving terrible, and even some of the old Russian ones are apparently hit-or-miss

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Saint Darwin posted:

The hell you talking about? Where is this? I imagine you're talking surplus, but even then. Also, I can't find loving surplus for sale, and there's no gun shows in Maryland until September or some nonsense.

Never buy poo poo from gunshows.

You can get it for under $.17 per round from time to time, albeit it probably starts to even out a bit since that's the nasty Bulgarian stuff that's like one tenth dud rounds, but if you've got an average M91/30 and aren't using it for hunting or home defense or whatever the gently caress crazy bullshit there is absolutely no reason for you to be buying commercial

I sorta miss the days when you could get really primo Czech poo poo for like $.20/rd, that stuff shot about 1.5MOA on my M39, probably woulda done better if I was better.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Jul 11, 2012 around 23:56

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Because it may be the ultimate way to troll AR lovers.

I'm not too sure about the barrel:handguard ratio on here but otherwise hell yes

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Dat yellow

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

VEPR w/ a thumbhole stock, looks like.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

So how are you gonna make the crazy little piston system

This is so much better an idea for what to do with those receiver blanks than I had, goddamn.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

shalafi4 posted:

crazy little piston system?

Edit: Are you thinking about the funky silenced underwater rounds the Russians came up with?

gently caress, I mixed up SP3 and SP6, ignore me

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

priznat posted:

Deerslayer and Deerstalker? Way to be creative, ruger!

The Deersexoffender did poorly in focus groups.

Also did that neckbeard just introduce himself as "Chaos"? I reflexively closed the tab after that and ain't reopening it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Marlin 1881 in .45-90

Well gently caress now I want one too.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

LifeSizePotato posted:

They were designed by a blind Russian

You can tell, but it's gorgeous anyway and now I want one too

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So how does something like this work, exactly? Would you frequently disassemble it, or is that just a selling point that you'd only take advantage of in unusual circumstances? It seems like you might lose your zero every time you separated the barrel like that.

There isn't a significant shift in POI on decently made takedown rifles, they secure the barrel pretty solidly to make sure it's always locking into the same position. Consider your semiauto pistol which has the barrel unlocking from the slide/frame and returning to position every shot.

I don't know how gracefully the locking mechanism ages when you're shooting a fullsize rifle cartridge, I suspect there's a reason you mostly see takedowns in .22 and thereabouts, but that's not exactly the kind of gun you shoot thousands of times per range trip either.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2013 around 01:40

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

As a longtime proponent of the general principle of bigger magazines and more bullets going in the general direction of thataway, can someone explain to me the appeal of a bolt-action with AR mags? It's a boltgun, hell even the ones I've had with detachable mags (Rem 770 ) I never bothered actually remove them from the gun.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

They've got little deflector plates to keep the burny stuff out of your seeing stuff, see also this bad thing

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Are the brass frames too soft or something? I always thought they looked cool.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

You know you're in fantasy territory when the auction listing tosses in a 73lb silver ingot like it ain't no thing

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

"Here, we have Saddam's spymaster's personal sidearm; here a chest of the Maharajah's finest jewels, each brighter than the last; and our special for the night, we've captured the firebird - all yours for the low-low price of the true name of a princess"

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Not a gun this instant. A... backyard. Thats what I want right this instant.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2013 around 07:34

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

When you figure that's under $500 per barrel, that's a steal!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

OK, so this is pretty much pointless. Bad ergos, poor reliability. Can't find replacement parts. Is actually a pump despite appearances. Takes specialty ammo, and jams up when you use the one commercially available substitute. Needs to be an NFA item to not be completely worthless. And yet, why did I have to wait until a shitted-up one appeared on Armslist to learn someone invented the 12ga Uzi?

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2013 around 03:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

also this was in the shop.

It is rad. Too rad.

Where the hell do you shop, the one gunstore with actual used stock here is all deer rifles and hosed-up nonfunctioning Chinese mausers.

«2 »