Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

All the good things of a Mauser, but in .30-06!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Butch Cassidy posted:

You live in New Hampshire and have good taste. We really need to meet.

Straight-wrist stocks kick rear end.

Heh, that's just what I thought when you posted that CZ 550 FS. God I want one, and a 455 FS to go with it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Gtab posted:

I'm just trying to determine how bad I'd feel about sticking a rail on the receiver for a red dot before I decide if this is the .22LR rifle for me.

Eh, it wouldn't be too bad on that rifle. On one of the CZ bolt actions it'd be a little tactilol, but not on that one.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

If that thing had a detachable shoulder stock, it'd be pretty awesome, in a ridiculous kind of way.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

priznat posted:

Don't need no photoshops!
7.62x39, 7.5"

5.56x45, 7.5"

Oh god imagine if you put the grip from a Skorpion on those!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Do it. I have a 93R17 with a BSA scope (Thumbhole stock and heavy barrel), and it's very accurate.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Here's a gun I want for flagrantly patriotic reasons:

That's a Radom pistol right? You're Polish I assume? I saw one of those in a gun store in Albuquerque NM once, did all of them have a slot for a shoulder stock, or just early models? the one I saw did have it. And on that note, I desperately want one of these:

A Blykcawica("Lightning") SMG, a Sten variant built by the Polish underground.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Rinkles posted:

*A lot of interesting information*

I don't remember how the quality was (not that I'm a good judge of such things), but I definitely remember that it had the stock slot, and I think it was labeled as being prewar. I have a big soft spot for the Poles in WW2, ever since I did a term paper on the Warsaw Uprising my senior year. It's kind of funny, I was originally going to write about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, but then I ran across some info about the 1944 Uprising, and decided that that was A: more interesting and B: less well-known. If you have any more info about that kind of thing I'd be happy to hear it, though I don't know that this is the thread for it. One thing that's really fascinated me is the extent of the Polish Underground, how it wasn't just the resistance but also poo poo like schools, from grade schools to college level stuff (Including the seminary that John Paul II went to).

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I'd like a scout-type rifle in 6.5x55 Swedish, please.

Oh god why did you say that now I want one.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

You know what I want? a modern Model 8 in 7.62x39. It was originally designed for moderate cartridges, so that seems like the best fit, and what the heck, why not adapt it so it could take AK magazines.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

BeanTaco posted:

Wasn't it designed so that guys could run it up from one trench to the next while firing from the hip?
I feel like "what if we need a terminator to use it" should factor into all firearm designs.

Yes it was. I have this cool book that has pictures of all the web-gear that the army used from WW1 to the 80's, and it has a picture of a BAR belt from 1918 or so that had a little metal bracket at about 3:00 on the belt, designed to hold the stock while you fired at Jerry from the hip.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Gtab posted:

shut the gently caress up and tell me the name of this book

"U.S. Army Combat Equipments, 1910-1988"
Here it is on Amazon, it's by Osprey of course: http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Equipm...ref=pd_sim_b_30

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

You better be at the next NH shoot.

I want a Colt Commander with night sights right now for a fuckaround range-toy:

I would love to be at the next NH shoot, but sadly I don't have any way of getting there.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Right now, I want to sell my Mini-30 and jump on the CZ 527 x39 bandwagon. There are really 2 things keeping me from doing that: 1) It was my first rifle, given to me when I was a wee lad. 2) I can get magazines that hold more than 5 rounds.

Okay three. Three things: It's also semi-auto => more fun to shoot.

I don't know. I'll talk it over with my father, since he's the one who gave it to me.

you shouldn't sell your first gun, especially one as cool as that. You'd just regret it later. Do you have a limit on the number of guns you can won or something, or is it a monetary issue?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Gtab posted:

No one whose opinion is worth a drat thinks the Mini-30 is cool

I was more focused on the fact that it his first rifle, given to him by his father. No matter what it was, I think that's something you'd want to keep around.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

I want Thompson/Center to be moved back to NH. :NH: Just picture a crying Old Man of the Mountain.

Thank you. It's even better for me, I live in Rochester, I'd drive by the factory all the time. Now I get sad whenever I see it. And is the Old Man crying because he isn't there anymore?

Beardless fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2012 around 20:39

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

commissargribb posted:

He cries especially hard because his face fell apart. We remember him in road signs though state is too cheap to come up with something new.

Right after he fell somebody vandalized a sign here in Rochester to have a pile of rocks at the bottom of his face. it was pretty funny.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Are you really sure you want to be following Gadaffi as a role model for taste?

Next I suppose you're going to tell me that I shouldn't have a unit of all-female bodyguards.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

As for a gun I want, I'd really be happy with just a basic .22. I'm jealous of all of you guys with your disposable income.

Beardless fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2012 around 20:19

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

You know what would be cool? A semi-auto rifle in .44 or .357 magnum that took Desert Eagle mags. Basically a beefier Camp Carbine. In the magnum calibers you could conceivably use it for hunting, and it would be great for home defense.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

"Miso Beno" posted:

how is a pistol caliber better than an intermediate caliber for home defense?
...It's not? I didn't claim that it would be. But as I understand it, .347 or .44 are considered good for HD out of a pistol barrel, so I think a 16 inch barrel would only be better.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I like turtles posted:

If I win Mega Millions jackpot and there are fewer than 10 other jackpot winners, I will give the top 10 posters (not including myself) in this thread as of this post $1500 to buy whatever gun they want. Or I guess you could use it for bills or whatever.
They are:
Gtab
wilfoy
Sixgun Strumpet
Butch Cassidy
priznat
Bummey
Beardless
infrared35
Atticus_1354
QuarkMartial
How the hell did I end up as one of the top posters in this thread? Go figure. $1500 would be nice for building the start of a collection though... A CZ 452 or 455, some nice glass, some kind of milsurp rifle would be nice...

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Heintron, has there been any progress on the .50 cal?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Uncle Caveman posted:

I really want to like this rifle, but every time I look at that flash hider a little piece of me dies. Is it removable?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Paul Coffey posted:

I personally want just one of those little pistols where the bullet holder part (I am such an idiot Canadian) revolves in the middle, a Detective Special. Just an idle fantasy I know but they look really cool, in my mind.

sooo... A revolver? Because you can totally get those, even in Canada. I don't think you'd be able to get a Detective's Special, or indeed any other snubnose (canada:), but you can definitely get a revolver if you want.

Edit: just to clear up your teminology, the type of gun you are talking about is a revolver, because the cylinder("the bullet holder part") revolves in the middle. And it hold cartridges. Bullets are just the projectiles. Just trying to get you started on the right foot, I don't mean to make fun of you.

Beardless fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2012 around 22:46

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Gtab posted:

You have got to realize he was kidding

He said "revolve" in that sentence. He knows they're revolvers. He may not have known what a cylinder is called, but he knew what a revolver was. It was phrased to be cute.

I don't assume anything when it comes to gun stupidity, especially with Canadians (No offense). You never know.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I'd like a revolver too now that I come to think of it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Uncle Caveman posted:

He's here to do some business with the big iron on his... barn...

This may help. Also that gun looks awesome.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Fat Ogre posted:

I want this gun to be out already.

loving perfect truck/carmotorcycle gun.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Uncle Caveman posted:

What do you think the "T" in the model name stands for?

I hadn't seen that, that's loving amazing.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

SadWhaleFamily posted:

When I win the lottery I will pay a porter to carry the gun for me

If you're gonna have a gun porter than you need something like this:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Akion posted:

Holy crap. Is that... how does it...

You know what? I don't care. I want three.

Yes it is, and I don't know, and I totally agree with you.
http://www.szecseidoubleboltrepeater.ca/home.html
http://www.fuchs-fine-guns.com/

They're made in Austria, and they come in both side-by-side and over-under versions.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Drillings are indeed awesome. I think I'd go for two 12 gauge barrels with a 6.5x55 barrel below.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I'm not a huge AK guy, but this just looks awesome.

I love guns that have worn finish like that.

Edit: And grenade launchers are cool too I guess.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Aren't most, if not all, of the cartridges bigger than .50 blackpowder?

.600 Nitro Express isn't, that's why it's called that. They used cordite instead of black powder.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, the correct choice for "Alaska truck gun" is a .45-70 lever action rifle. SBR if you're feeling frisky, but definitely .45-70.

I was thinking something similar. Maybe a 12 gauge loaded with slugs, but certainly not a 9mm. My aunt's folks live up in Alaska, and apparently they keep a .44 revolver by the backdoor to take to the outhouse with you in case you get waylaid by moose or bears.

Missing Name posted:

The SBR would be the backup #1. Backup #2 a .357 revolver.

I don't think you undertand what we're getting at, 9mm and .357 aren't going to do much good against an angry moose, let alone a bear.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

A possibly stupid question, but I know nothing about Winchester history: what happened in 1964 to affect the quality/desirability of guns?

Four posts up dude:

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Post-64, they went to stamped metal for a lot of internal bits like lifters and whatnot, and rolled pins instead of solid ones. Basically, they started cutting corners for cost savings instead of hand-fitting everything.

As far as I've heard the post-64 rifles aren't really any worse than a pre-64, they just didn't have the same level of fit and finish.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a military historian my want list is pretty typical (Garand, M1911, Lee-Enfield, Luger...). Really the thing I'd like most is a wz. 35 Vis (the Polish-made 9mm M1911), because I'm a ridiculous fanboy of both the M1911 and Second World War Poland.

Also, the Vis is loving gorgeous IMO. That Fabryka Broni logo on the grip

I handled one of those in a gunshop a few years ago, it was pretty awesome. I'd rather have a Blyskawiska though.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

I wonder if this thing mauls casings like the G3

As long as they don't flute the chamber it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I want a matchlock pistol.

Mostly because I've been watching 3 musketeers BBC TV poo poo and want to wave my cock in Cardinal Richelieu's face while loving every single chick in Paris.

but seriously though it's a pistol you can light a cig off of and then shoot. How can that not be cool?

I got to handle a repro matchlock musket in Jamestown a while ago, and they're wicked cool. I don't know if matchlopck pistols were a huge thing though, you might be better off with a wheellock.

Edit: The biggest difference I noticed is that there was no trigger break, it was just a lever that pulled the match towards the pan. Very odd if you;re not used to it.

«2 »