Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

I recall there being a goon who is on the preorder list who mentioned it the last time that came up.

That might have been me. Once I realized that they weren't going to be vaporware and were actually in production, I signed up for 2 of them last October. They're moving through the list slowly but surely. I'm hoping my turn comes up this summer some time.

This thread could be a great place for me to pad my post count because the list of guns I want is huge.

After an import deal I'm doing goes through, one of my next victims will probably be either a Bren Ten or maybe a JoLoAr if I can find one in a caliber I can shoot (25acp, 32acp, 380).

Of course, I say that today. Tomorrow I'll be sure that my next hit will be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

That Sphinx reminded me of a race gun I want this instant: the Pardini GT-9.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Been lusting after Sphinxes again for the past week or so.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

priznat posted:

That guy has one or more of pretty much every gun in Canada.

He's like the Noah of firearms.

I jerk off subscribe to his youtube channel

I've always wondered what his story is. He's got like every expensive gun you can name, and he shoots them wearing assorted $6k+ watches. I imagine he drives a Maybach to the range?

On a similar topic, I've been jonesing for a Korth or Korriphila semi-auto the past couple days. Maybe when I'm a rich Chinese-Canadian someday...

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'd love to find a Praga 50-2 right about now.

But really I'm still inching closer to convincing myself to get that Pardini GT-9 I mentioned several pages ago...

SAO Italian 9mm racegun with a Luger grip angle that nobody's heard of? Yes please.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=277624633

I usually try to hold out for guns in better condition than this, but this is a tough one.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

wilfoy posted:

Is that a pre-1900 rotating bolt design? drat.

Yep. I've had the Schwarzlose 1898 on my hitlist for a while, but it's in the same column as the Borchardt and Bergmanns I want. In other words, maybe when I win the lottery or I've bought every other gun I can think of and can save for a long time. That Gunbroker one is tempting though. (I'm pretty sure I saw it on Armslist for a while, too, but it only had one tiny picture and it looked to be in even worse shape, I think.)

quote:

This is a fine example of a rare all original, unaltered 1898 Schwarzlose self-loading semi-automatic. It was designed by Andreas Schwarzlose, Suhl, Prussia, who is most noted for his early water cooled machine gun designs. Any of these early semi-automatic pre-1899 pistols are extremely rare and this specific Schwarzlose pistol could almost be considered a prototype in design as so few were ever produced. During this time there were numerous companies attempting to produce semi-automatic pistols, only a handful would actually be successful . The functioning of this model is based on what is terms a rotating bolt mechanism. This pistol has a one-piece bolt that actually has a series of locking lugs which surround the bolt head itself that are matched by a similar designed breech end of the barrel. When a cartridge is fired, the pressure of the cartridge actually drives the barrel slightly rearward, which in turns pushes the entire bolt rearward to start the unlocking sequence, which in turns extracts and ejects the cartridge. The rear of the receiver has a small lug pinned in place in the center that fits into a race-way or track on the underside of the bolt, that actually rotates the bolt itself, as it moves rearward. It fires the 7.63 Mauser cartridge and has a machined steel clip that loads through the butt of the pistol. It has a double cocking levers on the rear end of the bolt with a striker acting as a loading indicator on the rear of the pistol. It is fitted with a high front sight and a rotating/adjustable rear sight that is graduated from 1-5 (100-500 meter). The right side of the barrel, upper receiver and bolt all have the 1891 period German "Double Crown/ U" proof mark. It is serial numbered on the lower receiver, trigger, magazine bolt and striker. It is fitted with a set of checkered walnut grips and originally it probably had a rust blued finish with a straw colored trigger, cocking indicator and two large levers on the left side. For a pistol produced in 1898 with a radically new design or operating system this pistol actually looks like a real semi-automatic pistol.

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Schwarzlose.htm

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I just learned that Coonan made one of their 1911s chambered in .41 Magnum. So I want one of those.

(Can't find any photos of one, so that's the regular 357...which I also want.)

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

They made a video talking about that one among others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNz...10&feature=plcp

I want a Mannlicher 1894 right now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bummer. I've been watching a Campo Giro on Gunbroker that went 2 weeks without a single bid. The guy lowered the price 10% and relisted it, and it's gone a few days without any bids, so I sent him an email tonight with a very fair offer hoping he'd bite.

Someone bid on it like an hour later.

I still want one though, preferably this instant, but now I guess I'll wait. Maybe I can find an original 1913 with the paddle mag release eventually.

e: Here's one with the original mag release.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2012 around 05:13

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not to mention having certain "durability" issues.

We used to have a guy around here, Martyr (something like that) who had a major hard on for those carbines (and flashlights) and even he kind of soured on the platform a bit when the charging handle came off in his hand. At least that's what I remember of it, I was a bit of a newbie when all that went down, I'm sure Gtab or someone who's been here longer than me will chime in with the real deal on that one soon.

I only lurked back then, but I think it was an FS2000 and the plastic charging handle broke. Possibly during a drive-by incident in his neighborhood, although that might have been a separate FS2000 story of his.

On Rhino chat, I kind of want the 9mm Rhino this instant. They're supposedly coming out soon, but I'm not chomping at the bit due to their lousy quality control. I think that would do it on the Rhinos for me.

I also want a Wolf Ultramatic. Sort of a mix between a CZ 75, 1911 and an MG-42, made in Austria.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at May 26, 2012 around 18:22

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I believe the designer of that is also the guy behind the Hogue Avenger 1911 upper, which is (as far as I can tell) available here in the states, if you are interested. I'd get one if I wasn't a poor grad student, just because it's neat.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

Yeah, he did do that. Or at least it's inspired by it, from what I recall.

There's something less exotic and interesting about a Hogue add-on for regular 1911s, though.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bummey posted:

A PS90 in any caliber besides 5.7 would be pretty rad, though.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I don't have all the monies. If I did I would, but I don't. So sadly, as insanely awesome as this may be, I cannot afford to buy it.

A pain I know all too well.

Collectors just added a Brun Latrige recently for $5k.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

They are really fascinating, impossible to find, and usually quite expensive. I've heard it said that it's technically the very first autoloader.

Here's some more info: http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20fr...atrige%20gb.htm

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I'd also like an old S&W M39. There's just something about them that I can't quite put my finger on.

Other than that my list is just a bunch of boring crap.

I don't know why I used to think all S&W autoloaders were hideous. I mean, some of the cheaper or more utilitarian stainless ones can be a bit ugly, but the ones that look like that have really grown on me.

I want either an original 39 or maybe a 952 right now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bummey posted:

LSP has one, of course. Sixgun or Widefault may also have one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY_5Nz649s

I'm always a bit disappointed when he doesn't sound like Lumpy Space Princess.

I have two. Try to keep up, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbxvDKqECVU

To be topical, in "want this" news, one I posted about earlier in this thread finally came in last week.

And I'm currently wanting this:

Union Firearms semi auto revolver in 32S&W. It will round out the Mateba and eventual Webley-Fosberry collection some day. I know of one for sale but it's $10k.

Edit: I have no idea what a Lumpy Space Princess is.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2012 around 06:16

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

SpartanIV posted:

Please make a box thread about that Boberg with your impressions of it. I love the way it looks and would love to have one but the price is way too much and frankly I'd rather wait for the XR9 instead of the S variant.

Yeah, I'm planning to do a box thread and review/shooting video in the next couple weeks. I haven't actually gotten to shoot it yet. So far, my impression is mostly positive. The mechanics are really unique and interesting. Fit and finish are pretty good, although there are a few faint machining marks and the magazine rattles a bit too much in the mag well, which gives it a cheap feeling.

Guess I should see if there's a full-size XR9 pre-order list I should sign up for now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I found out today that I have a distinct "Argentine open bolt 22lr pocket spacegun"-shaped hole in my collection.

Ballister Molina HA

Amazingly, a guy in Brazil made a video about one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0PpvOlyEaI

Pretty sure they don't exist in the states at all, and they're apparently extremely hard to find in Argentina, too.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

SadWhaleFamily posted:

The video description says it's an open-bolt semi-auto, so I'm thinking that it'll never come the US.

Yeah, when I said "pretty sure they don't exist" here I was mostly just allowing for the chance that maybe a couple got smuggled in at some point.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Craptacular posted:

Someone could have easily imported one pre-68.

From my cursory research so far, I think they weren't made until the late 60s. But, you have given me a glimmer of hope!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GTDNUcXcQ

Now would be a GREAT time for me to win the Powerball.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

elgrapadora posted:

So is it an auto-revolver ala the Mateba, or is it just inspired by the Mateba in the sense that it fires from the 6 o'clock position?

It's just a "regular" revolver, no semi-auto action. The guy who designed it worked closely with and was inspired by Emilio Ghisoni, the inventor of the Mateba 6 Unica (autorevolver).

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

elgrapadora posted:

Ah thats a shame. I knew there was a connection between the creators of both, but I really wish it were an auto-revolver. I lust after a Mateba Unica 6, and everytime I see one come up on GunBroker..my wallet cries that I can't afford it..

They're really on sort of a weird bubble right now. A little over a year ago, a seller would be lucky to get much over $2k for one, and now they sell within hours at buy-it-now prices of $4k+. I think they'll come down at some point. There was one crazy rich guy in the spring who compulsively bid them into the stratosphere and I think there's some residual hype from that.

There are still deals out there on them, too, because people who bought them a few years ago paid much less and think they're pulling one over on you when they "flip it" for $1800 or something. Also, gun shops/fudds who use the Blue Book and don't check GB will way undervalue them. I know one guy got one at a shop this past February for $1200.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Aug 7, 2012 around 03:03

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

This will probably be the next German revolver I get after the Korth:

Janz (pronounced yahnts) JTL.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2012 around 23:41

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Pretty much. Since nobody knows what they are, there's no demand, and they go pretty cheaply. I paid about $350 for mine, basically mint in box with the 25acp kit, and Collectors in Houston had one recently for $330 or so in the same condition. I've seen a couple RIA-type auctions where they hit around $500, though. For the gun by itself without the caliber conversion, you're looking at probably $200-250 for one in good shape. (That GB auction one is not in good shape.)

Part of it is also that the Blue Book (at least, the one I have) has them valued comically low, like $125 NIB or something.

I recommend them. Well made, solid heavy steel, neat looking, accurate, and a surprisingly good SAO trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3UM-DtBII

Edit: This one just ended for $250. Didn't meet the reserve though.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Aug 21, 2012 around 23:56

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

For some reason I kind of want a Star MegaStar right now. There's nothing all that interesting about them. I just like heavy, solid guns. Also because the name sounds like it's from Transformers or Voltron or BraveStarr or something.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Cucaracha posted:

I just really really wanted to post something. I'm super lonely.

Other thing about that gun is that it's sure not going to go for $1000. He originally listed it a few months ago with a buy-it-now of $10k. I think it once got bid up to $3 or 4k, and it still hadn't hit the reserve. It's destined to be one of those auctions that you just ignore because it's been relisted for 2 years.

As for what I want this instant, I'd like Sauer's first cartridge pistol, the Bär. Very few made in the early 1900s, shot a proprietary cartridge similar to 25acp. The flat "cylinder" held 4 rounds. You shoot round #1 through the top barrel, and the firing pin rotates to shoot round #2 on the bottom. Then you spin the cylinder to get to rounds 3 and 4 in position.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

You have one in 9mm already, right? Or your dad or someone?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Menz PB Spezial, how I lust for thee.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=305973669

1000 made for one year in 1930s Germany. Here's a description:

quote:

Starting with the Menz PB pistol loaded but uncocked, a long pull of the trigger cocks the exposed hammer. When the trigger is released, it returns to a mid-position marked for easy visual identification by an unusual contour on the bottom of the trigger guard. This renders the pistol ready for a single-action first shot. While this system does not have the advantage of full double-action, it allows an accurate first shot which is difficult to achieve with trigger-cocking arms. The Menz Spezial Modell is a combination-caliber arm. It could, according to factory literature, be had in cal. .32 ACP with recoil spring and barrel conversion kits for cal. .380ACP as wellas for a special cal. .22 center-fire. The latter kit was proposed but apparently never produced. Menz pistols were also sold under the Bergmann Erben trade name. The total number of Spezial Modells sold under both names was apparently less than 1000 as all known serial numbers are in the 3000 range.

Here are the needlessly complicated insides:

Broken ones sell for about $1800 at auction houses.

(Of course, in accordance with my luck, this nice one was listed for sale on a random PA classifieds for a relatively decent price a couple weeks ago, and I missed it. Now it's on GB. My only hope is that the Gunbroker crowd are busy buying up black rifles for Obama's upcoming gun ban and won't notice this generic old German clunker...)

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2012 around 00:55

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

shalafi4 posted:

this

plus time and this

Here's where I look like an idiot and ask what is going on with this. I have a feeling I should be fapping myself raw, but why?

Edit: Also, I've kind of been wanting a Jericho 941 lately for some reason. Chrome finish, with a frame mounted safety and some wood grips, please.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2012 around 17:23

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

shalafi4 posted:

^^^--- link above

I've already made one AK and I have the equipment to make the brass for a 9x39 rifle... why wouldn't I want to make a rifle in a cartridge that the weapons it uses are under an export ban and the cartridge is specifically designed for silenced uses?

tl;dr because I can

also if the build goes relatively smoothly there's discussion about us applying for a small arms manufacturing FFL (I think it's a 07?) and making some of these for sale.

Oh yeah, I wasn't wondering why you'd do it, I actually just had no idea what it was. Particularly that shiny metal thing which I now presume is an AK receiver?

Other gun I want this instant:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=293894867

Serial number THREE.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

Menz PB Spezial, how I lust for thee.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=305973669

1000 made for one year in 1930s Germany.

Broken ones sell for about $1800 at auction houses.

(Of course, in accordance with my luck, this nice one was listed for sale on a random PA classifieds for a relatively decent price a couple weeks ago, and I missed it. Now it's on GB. My only hope is that the Gunbroker crowd are busy buying up black rifles for Obama's upcoming gun ban and won't notice this generic old German clunker...)

Well, it just sold for $3,275.

Oh well. I want something else now anyway:

Lancaster 4-barrel pistol.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Not yet, and I don't know how soon it will happen. That one I linked sold for over 5 grand. I have a Brownie and a COP, so I think they'd like to get to know their grandpa.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, I was originally trying to hold out for that angular carbine model (there's another carbine that's much downsier looking) but then I came across a pistol that came with like 25 rockets. Didn't think I'd ever come across a hoard like that again and I got a decent deal on it all, considering what I could part the ammo out for.

Right now, I'm lusting after a Dreyse...in 9mm.

The 32acp ones don't do much for me. Of course, those cost like $200 and the 9mm ones go for $5000+, so...

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

That guy made me mad. He messaged me earlier this week asking for an offer on it (being the webmaster of a Mateba site has its perks ), so I offered him a decent amount higher than the going rate in Switzerland. (It's nowhere close to $3k, btw, especially with all those scratches.) He just responded "Nice joke."

Edit: Guns I really want right now: PS90 and SCAR 17S for not stupid prices. Also this thing I just learned about a couple weeks ago:

I'm not totally sure they ever made it into production, but that should just make the search more fun.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2013 around 00:23

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Additionally you can find Smiths with a Medusa cylinder fitted to them:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/79081...-rodgers-medusa

I came across one at a gunshow a few months back. I haven't been able to find a great deal of information on them, but I guess Philips and Rodgers may have started out just modifying old Smiths.

Wow, I have never actually seen one of those outside of this brochure before:

I actually thought the cylinders just never made it into production. They're rarer than the Medusas!

Edit: What was the guy asking for it?

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2013 around 19:05

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

$2500

It was a 686

Yeah, I know, that's what I mean. Those 686 cylinders are crazy rare, from what I've seen.

Not that it's $2500 rare (maybe), but still, once again, your gun shows are just not fair.

Exhibit B. I saw this on the Walther Forums a few weeks ago. Isn't the Puyallup show one you go to? And you've got a guy with a Walther Model 6?

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...collection.html

I want a Model 6 this instant.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Edit: drat you, now I want a walther model 6. Is this typical pricing? http://shop.pre98.com/product.sc?productId=363

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Found out my grandmother is going to hospice care soon, so now I want something to commemorate her by. She's not a big gun enthusiast, but she was big into "retail therapy" and I'm thinking of getting something to remember her by - more than likely a revolver of some sort. Something classy, something I could maybe carry, but definitely a memento of some sort.

E: I'm thinking of something I could find pretty easily locally and something that would be an heirloom (or potential carry gun of some sort). I thinking either a j-frame S&W, S&W model 29, or a S&W Highway Patrolman. Leaning toward the 38/357 range because I have a ton of brass for them and I already have a good 44 Mag.

I did something like that when my grandma passed. I got a gun from her birth year, and roughly her birth month, even. An old Colt pre-Woodsman. She grew up in rural Kansas and Colorado so it seemed like just the type of gun someone on a farm there would have used.

Anyway, my suggestion would be something from her birth year.

«2 »