Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
big_dilli
May 17, 2005

This owns. I want it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I saw one, wanted it, picked it up, tried the trigger, no longer wanted it.

The Springfield longslide I handled was a new gun but in my opinion it really needed some work done to it before I would consider buying it.

Too late. There was a gun show this weekend (It's Houston, there's a gun show every weekend) so I went out there. Saw two of them, one for $1099 and another for $975. I bought the $975 one and am stoked.

This thread is bad news for my bank account.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Remington Model 12C slide-action .22 with a flip-up Lyman peep sight Goddamn awesome.

That's not a 12C. No octagon barrel and the butt plate is wrong.

Otherwise you're spot on. It's goddamn awesome. I've got a 121 with the Lyman R-12 peep sight. It's goddamn awesome too.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Yes, it's a big stupid gun, but I like big stupid guns. Oh yes, it will be mine.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Gtab posted:

I hope the nerd above who wants a Desert Eagle enjoys the heck out of it

The only one I want is 44 mag. Guess that's because I've already got a S&W 29-2, Browning 92, and a couple of SAA revolvers in 44 mag. Wouldn't have to add another caliber to the collection.

This thread is really bad for me as the last gun I posted in it (Springfield Armory Longslide) now resides in my safe. I shot it last weekend. It was great.

Someone commented that the triggers on them suck. Mine is about 4 1/2 lbs. Found out that Springfield uses a 28 lb mainspring in their ILS system in the mainspring housing. I'm planning on switching it out to a Maxi-well with mainspring housing and going to a 21 lb mainspring. That should make it even better.

I shot 150 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball ammo though it. It ate it up. 25 yard groups free hand were 2-3 inch in size. That drat pistol shoots!

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Apologies to your wallet in advance

Good loving luck. The don't have a 'live' website. Nothing is in stock. It will be backordered with a long lead time. I'm going on 2 months waiting on a couple of AR uppers. Who the hell knows when I'll get them?

Otherwise from what I hear the quality on their stuff is good. Just have to be really really patient.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Update.

I got the Desert Eagle and the Springfield Armory Long Slide. You can really see the difference in nickel and stainless in this pic.

Someone mentioned the horrible triggers on the Springfield. Turns out the ILS system on the Springfield uses a 28 lb main spring.

I replaced the main spring housing and main spring with a 19 lb spring to get rid of the ILS and added an Ed Brown Maxi-well. Replaced the stocks with Ahrend Combat Stocks. I like it much better. Trigger is great.

The main spring housing is done in the chainlink pattern.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Nope not .50AE, .44 mag. They both use the same frame. That barrel is actually stamped .44 mag but didn't pick up in the picture. Also very lightly struck behind that .50 AE on the frame is stamped .44 mag. It's just really really light.

I also have the original box and manual. Not bad for the price I gave for it.

mikerock, thanks for the comment on the long slide. It's a very good shooter. I put 150 rounds through it before changing out the main spring and adding the mag well, no problems what-so-ever. It's very accurate and the recoil is very tame. Just waiting on my mags to come in. Brownells backordered the Wilson Combat mags I ordered so I substituted the Wilson Combat Elites.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

You're preaching to the choir about .44 mag. I've also got a Model 29, two SAA replicas in .44 mag, and a Browning 92 in .44 mag.

I've got every piece of brass saved in .44 mag and the reloading dies. Looking at which press I'm going to buy. Leaning towards a Hornady LNL.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

I get about 1600 fps on a 240 grain bullet out of my Browing 92 in .44 mag. I'm not afraid to take deer out to about 150 yards. As hard hitting as .44 mag is out of a pistol, it really wakes up out of a rifle and that's with factory loads.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Paul Coffey posted:

I personally want just one of those little pistols where the bullet holder part (I am such an idiot Canadian) revolves in the middle, a Detective Special. Just an idle fantasy I know but they look really cool, in my mind.

I got your little revolving middle right here.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

R-Type posted:

My birthday came this week. Girlfriend asked me for what I wanted. I told her I would like a Browning Hi-Power (Belgian version OK) or a Desert Eagle .44 Israeli made version.

This is what I got

What up .44 DE buddy?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Craptacular posted:

Since I don't have a semi-auto .22LR rifle (other than my Uzi's .22LR conversion kit) I thought about getting a cheap 10/22. But then I know I'd want to suppress it, and if I'm going to do that I'll want to use a shorter barrel to both compensate for the increased length of the suppressor and to keep the bullet's velocity down. And then I might as well start out with an aftermarket receiver instead of a factory Ruger. So now I've turned a $250 almost-impulse purchase into a ~$1600 two-tax 6-month ordeal. Yay.

Integrally suppressed barrel.

Why the hell not build one up? You're not going to be happy with the stock version anyway. They're like AR-15s, they just beg to be customized.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Craptacular posted:

I want to be able to shoot it unsuppressed too, if I want to.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Nope, you were clear. I was just encouraging you to do it.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

When my youngest daughter was born, I jokingly said I needed a triple barrel shotgun. Being as she was my third daughter and a barrel for each daughter's future boyfriend seemed just right. It's been a running joke for about 4 years now with the wife. Yesterday I walked into Collector's Firearms to see this.

That's right a triple barrel shotgun.

I must have this. Oh yes, it will be mine.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Pretty much.

I think that portions of my collection will be going away to fund this. I don't think I can let this one go.

You going to give any of us a shot at stuff you have for sale?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Selling in TFR isn't allowed anymore.

It was a question, not a solicitation. When did we get the new mod? Besides he handled just like I hoped he would. To bad I showed up to late for the Springfield Omega.

big_dilli fucked around with this message at Nov 6, 2013 around 02:55

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

MohawkSatan posted:

Only if you buy it for something serious. If you buy it as a big, ugly, unreliable range toy(and it's got the gold tigerstripe) you're probably safe.

I've got a nickel one in 44. Thinking about getting the .50AE barrel just because. They are big, ugly, and a range toy (who wants to lug around a 5 pound pistol and that's before you load it?) But I wouldn't call them unreliable.

Most the problems I've seen are from folks who don't know how to shoot. They limp wrist them and cause the problems. If you shoot it and do your job, the pistol will do its job.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

That barrel looks cut down, if it shipped as a 4" the text should be centered on it.

Then again, I don't really know what the factory was up to at that point. Weird gun to be certain.

Also: never stop looking at .22lr S&Ws. They rule.

Yep, it's cut down alright. The box is also wrong. The Model 17 is the K-22 Masterpiece. The Model 18 is the Combat Masterpiece and it would have a 4" barrel.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

It does look like a reblue though. Dishing around screw holes and softening of the edges. Grips are wrong, like others have said.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

I don't believe Wal-mart sells handguns. Unless things have changed. Haven't seen a handgun in their cases for 20 years. They had a store shooting way back when and decided that while they're comfortable with shotguns and rifles, handguns are the devil.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

iamthehans posted:

I really want a Mateba. I'm not to picky about caliber I'm just so infatuated with the styling of the gun. What should I expect to pay for a shooter ish grade? if I can even find one. last one I saw was mint and went for like 4k

Missed your chance about a month back. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13087567

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Why am I contemplating getting a AA89 (MP5 clone) from Atlantic Firearms? I already have an AR15 that has been SBR in 9mm. But here I am.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...l.html?Itemid=0

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

I keep seeing reviews about piss poor finish on the POF. What about 922r when I SBR it?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

What mags are you using?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Atlantic isn't showing the POF MP5 in stock anyway. Got another source for them?

The POF does solve the issue of getting a 3 lug adapter for my ti-rant as it's threaded. Have to look at what it would take to get compliant with 922r.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Ugh. I've got a B-92 in 44 mag and a BL 22. A B-92 in .357 mag is something I'd really really like to have. Problem is finding one.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

They'd have to be in better condition than the 2 that are currently on there. Took me 2 years of searching locally before I found the one in 44 mag I have.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Trying to decide POF-5 (MP5 clone) or a POF-5PK (MP5k clone). Decisions, decisions. It'll be SBR'd and suppressed. Both is not an option.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Previously it was all about the full size. Now, I am leaning towards the reverse stretch K. I'm thinking of putting an A3 stock on it. Did I mention it'll be suppressed. That why I was leaning towards the shorter K.

What's so bad about the reverse stretch K?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Had to drop a bid in on that. Long ways to go. Maybe I'll get lucky.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

SpartanIV posted:

I apologize for being an idiot and not reading the auction thoroughly

I saw the same auction but was thinking very professional refinish. Half an hour of looking at pics I finally sent Sixgun a note asking if he thought it was too. 5 minutes after sending that note, I picked up on the Ford's restoration comment in the description. They do a drat good job.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

It's because it's dumb and stupid. I think some goon just bought the 41 mag version of that, which is instead good and rad. N frame 357s need to have 8 chambers or have a name that starts with registered to get me going

I think you're talking about me. It came in last Friday. It owns. S serialed, diamond PC magna 58 rocks. Sorry about the cell phone pic, I need to break out the good camera but been working to many drat hours lately.

Then I turn around an buy a 4" Model 57 (S serialed of course) with a blue velour presentation box. Should be here within the week. It's at the FFL and shipping out tomorrow.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I ended up deciding that if I wanted such a thing again it would end up being a 3" round butt model 13. I don't know why, I'm probably just weird.

A 3" Model 65 would be the bomb too. But that's essentially the same gun, just in stainless. I have a 19-4 2.5" in nickel that I've had for a while. I agree with the adjustable sights, just not really needed. But it seems that the adjustable sight models are more sought after than the fixed sights.

drat, I've got to get some pictures of some of my revolvers. I owe you some for the 2" Model of 1905, 4th Change. Even more so that is it now lettered. That one still blows my mind. Pair it with the 2" Pre WWII Terrier and it's starting to make a decent collection.

big_dilli fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2016 around 23:22

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Too bad they still haven't figured out how to put a proper loading gate on their centerfire models.

QFT. Why do they not put a loading gate on their guns? It's the one thing that really limits them.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

I have some ivory J frame stocks that would look great on that gun.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

RI had these guns at the Tulsa show. Was something else to see in person. Pictures don't really do them justice.

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

That whole auction by Little John's is . There's a lot of nice stuff they're selling.

For example

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121521

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121523

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121525

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121919

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121923

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121976

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38121977

I could keep going and going.

big_dilli fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2017 around 04:06

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Seriously, this will make someone very happy.

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith...sp?lid=38122025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Big tell is that on the left side of the gun, there should be little rounded heads for the pins that hold the trigger and other various stuff in the frame. On cheap reblues you'll see those rounded heads get flattened.

The side plate looks pretty good for a refinish. Some of places that should have hard lines are kind of rounded over.

That pin you're looking for would be covered up by those aftermarket stocks. Sixgun is right, need pics of the whole gun with the grips off. If it's a reblue, it's not a bad one. Target 38 m&p are kinda desirable but he's a bit high if it is a reblue.

I'm thinking it is a reblue, very light smearing of the lettering. But the side plate fitment is still looking really good.