Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

I want a Martini Cadet. Or rather, the action of one. The original chambering, .310Cadet, is pretty lame and hard to load for. The actions make perfect single shot .357mag or .22 Hornets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

I want this, and at some point will pay to have it made. Important parts are highlighted.

William Gibson posted:

Turning, he lifted the edge of the next dustcover. Cases, plastic and styrofoam, stacked neatly on the cold metal of the table. He touched a blue plastic rectangle stamped with a silver monogram: S&W. "Your agent," Conroy said, as Turner snapped the case open. The pistol lay there in its molded bed of pale blue foam, a massive revolver with an ugly housing that bulged beneath the squat barrel. "S&W Tactical. .408. with a xenon projector," Conroy said. "What he said you'd want." Turner took the gun in his hand and thumbed the batterytest stud for the projector. A red LED in the walnut grip pulsed twice. He swung the cylinder out. "Ammunition?" "On the table. Hand-loads, explosive tips." Turner found a transparent cube of amber plastic, opened it with his left hand, and extracted a cartridge. "Why did they pick me for this, Conroy?" He examined the cartridge, then inserted it carefully into one of the cylinder's six chambers. "I dont know," Conroy said. "Felt like they had you slotted from go, whenever they heard from Mitchell . . Turner spun the cylinder rapidly and snapped it back into the frame. "I said, `Why did they pick me for this, Conroy?' He raised the pistol with both hands and extended his arms, pointing it directly at Conroy's face. "Gun like this, some- times you can see right down the bore, if the light's right, see if there's a bullet there." Conroy shook his head, very slightly. "Ormaybeyoucanseeitinoneoftheothercham~~ . "No," Conroy said, very softly, "no way." "Maybe the shrinks screwed up, Conroy. How about that?" "No," Conmy said, his face blank. "They didn't, and you won't." Turner pulled the trigger. The hammer clicked on an empty chamber. Conmy blinked once, opened his mouth, closed it, watched as Turner lowered the Smith & Wesson. A single bead of sweat rolled down from Conroy's hairline and lost itself in an eyebrow. "Well?" Turner asked, the gun at his side. Conmy shrugged. "Don't do that poo poo," he said. "They want me that badT' Conroy nodded. "It's your show. Turner."

I am not sure what to chamber it in, it seems like 10mm Auto is the natural choice. I am leaning towards using a SuperRedhawk as the base gun as they use a barrel shroud and getting someone to machine one that also houses a light should be not too unreasonable. Also there is a lot of dead space in the grips for the LED and pressure pad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Gtab posted:

I hope you're joking and you realize an S&W X-frame .460 is the only answer.

That is way too big and .460 out of a "squat barrel" is going to suck in a few different ways.

Honestly, one of the John Ross S&W 500s would be a good start as well.

But I think that X-frames are kinda dumb and when loaded hot are unsafe (really easy to double under recoil) as well. Also this guy:

Is just a better looking gun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Why do people want longer barrels and vent ribs on non-bird or chays shotguns?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

Always this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

infrared35 posted:

Which reminds me, why does nobody in TFR own anything by Detonics?

I would love one of these but they command too steep a price.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yes. This is the AK pattern rifle that I want. Apparently there are some smiths/dealers in MD that bring these in, pin and weld a muzzle device and put a stock on them, then sell them to you to get around the dumb assault pistol legislation. Then when your Form 1 clears, included in your purchase price is the cost to remove the muzzle device and engrave it. Then you go hog wild with a sweet new Draco SBR.

I have met the guy who did this, I believe he is not doing any more runs. He owned/worded at Scott's Gunsmithing. There was some dude selling on for like $900 a month or so ago.

EDIT: Never-mind, the chump wants $1500 for it. He also didnt post a pictures which makes me cranky.

EDIT AGAIN: Found the thread.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2012 around 15:31

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Old Balls McGee posted:

I don't think there is a firearm I want right now, but just the balls to start down the awesome path of custom rifles starting with a CZ in 375H&H. Then one in 300H&H. I have everything picked out, just have to start making phone calls.

Then a 700 stainless in 7STW. Then a Mark V in 340 Wby. Then a double in 470ohgod someonepleasehelpme...

But things have stopped me. Like Hi-Power things. and Cummins things. And unemployment things...

Soon though, soon.

Just posting because my ears started itching. It was the mention of 7mmSTW that did it I think.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Honestly there is no need to go beyond what we have now, assuming we are stuck with chemical propellants. Gunpowder is still the most compact and stable way to carry a bunch of "energy" around with you.

Even in my lifetime batteries was gotten so much better it blows my mind, but it is still only better in a "screwguns last half a day now" rather then "melt a loving deer with lasers".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

wilfoy posted:

The biggest advantage with caseless is the potential reliability. After all, a huge portion of malfunctions with modern auto-loaders are related to extraction and/or ejection.

I would think that being able to clear a misfeed would require something with an expose-able action anyway, not to mention the need to be able to uncamber a live round.

Any money spent of caseless ammo would be better spent on better lube technology and/or finding a durable, self lubing metal coating that lets fouling just be shaken off or what ever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

When I was just getting back into guns I almost bought a Accelerator rifle in .22mag. The store I used to go to had one and I thought it was pretty bitchn' looking. I didn't buy it as it was like $350 and I was able to get a Sub2k for about that price and decided 9mm was a better choice.

I still have a longing for a .22mag rifle, no idea if I will ever get one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

At least they are honest.

Content: I want another Savage Scout. I'm torn between .308 or 7.62x39. .308 obviously has a lot going for it, but I like the idea of having 2 rifles that use the same ammo.

Get the x39 and never look back.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Gtab posted:

yeah i have no idea what pedantic bullshit that dude is babbling about. no one else on earth was confused and thought you conflated the M60 and the BAR by sixty years. just him. the constant pokemon thread poster. who has recently arrived here in gun town.

i have literally no clue what the gently caress he thought was gonna be proven by that weird semantic autism. we all got your implication that it was designed for hipfire, a technique which rambo made famous later on. we're all normal and got that idea.

not that dude though. not that dude.

It's almost like there should be a short, maybe only four letters, word for people like this.

Oh well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Gtab posted:

You'd better believe .44 out of a 16" barrel is going through a loving wall. poo poo, you can probably punch .44 in and out of a person with 16" of barrel, reliably. Overpenetration isn't a terribly good thing.

Again I will refer to the wonders of super soft cast lead and clever bullet designs would take care of this.

I have this dreamworld where I can some how buy a Winchester 94, get it refinished, engraved, rebarreled to .44mag with an suppressed barrel which I will also have engraved.

Then I might also buy a small island, go mad, and begin the hunting of men.

But as part of this I have been doing an obsessive level of reading up about heavy and slow .44mag loads.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Caveman posted:

Most of the year I work on a farm which entails a lot of driving around in a truck & tractor; while I'm not a Jeff Cooper FIGHTIN' SCOUTIN' RIFLE acolyte by any stretch, having a lightweight, compact rifle that can be quickly loaded & unloaded fits my needs perfectly.

For years (even before the Ruger was announced) I thought long and hard about converting my Weatherby Vanguard or a Rem 700 to something similar. Even with doing all the labor myself, the cost of a barreled action + parts* + specialized tools (for barrel cutting/crowning, sight/scope mount installation, etc) would easily be at or over what the Ruger cost me out the door.

*I could have saved ~$250+ by not going with an AICS-pattern detachable mag setup, but the system works so well for the handy/practical rifle concept I am glad Ruger went with it

The less-expensive Savage 10FCM Scout was tempting back then, but the injection-molded stock and aluminum Williams sights put me off - again, the cost of that rifle plus upgrading those parts would put it at or over the Ruger's street price.

I am insanely envious and will hopefully be getting on of those this summer, even if just for the action and bottom metal.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Caveman posted:

Bring your No.1 out to the farm and they can be Rugerpals

Yeah, 5/8-24 so any AR-10 muzzle device will work.

I would love too, but I am leaving town for like 6 months starting Monday. Kinda lame.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

I impulse bought a second issue Detective Special last year because the price was great. It is such an amazingly awesome gun that I will never be without one. I will shoot this one until it falls apart and then buy another one.

It is just so satisfying to handle and shoot, words cannot explain it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

No poo poo? That's about my handgun budget.

The gun shows around here seem kind of weak, but that's because we apparently have pretty strict gun laws (Maryland). Which is weird because I came from a place with literally insane gun laws (NJ) and this place seems like firearm paradise to me. The fact that I had to fill out (far less) less documentation to buy a gun than I had to fill out to get in-state tuition for grad school bowled me over.

And for a handgun permit, apparently I just watch a video, which the FFL can show me right then, and then I'm set?

I believe these days you have to do it online.

MD gun laws are pretty mild, the mag resections are easy to get around if you have friends in VA or PA. and the handgun list usualy just means we have to wait 6 months for new guns.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

So the gun shop had one of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Now it's not what you call a "gun you can take to the range" but it was really loving cool. I knew what it was but I didn't know the details like "no rifled barrel." The guy at the store didn't even know how to really show it to me, but we eventually figured it out.

It was just so weird looking and obviously just a piece of junk, but knowing what it was for just made it so cool.

However, it also wasn't $450 cool

edit: Yes at $450 it was most definitely a replica, as it was also spotless. It still is cool as hell.

What store?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I want a good set of files, including a rounded one, so I can fit my grip safety on my 1911 of turkish woe a little better.

Turd polishing == project gun

Get a set from McMasterCarr. Buy a middle of the road set.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Marlin chat reminded me I want on of these:

(the one on top)

Marlin Spikehorn. It is a 30-30 with a 16" barrel and a short youth stock.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

Man. I wanted to get one of the new full-length-tube Guide Guns, but I imagine those are all going to be new, lovely parts. What exactly makes them lovely? People tend to talk a lot of poo poo about Springfield M1As but the one I own seems fine (though I've barely shot it, even having owned it for several years now). I also own an 1894C from like 5 years ago... I guess I could compare a new one to it to see just how bad it's gotten.

I have a full tube guide gun that should be old enough to be "good" but the action is still rough. To be fair I have not shot it much at all and my old one was well broken in but I am going to have to try and slick it up at some point. It seems pretty easy to do at home and you dont really mess with any of the really pressure bearing parts.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Dan Wesson revolvers seem fine until you get to the grips, which all look like someone gave their kid some playdough and had him make some prototypes. It doesn't help that so many of them have like 20 coats of gloss varnish on them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Also for like $600 you can get a CZ 527 which by almost all accounts is a amazing rifle.

You righthanded fucks have the choice of a few different models.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

Lefty bolt-rifles for target shooting purposes are silly. For competition or shooting at living things, I'm down, but even as a lefty I can't make myself give a poo poo if I'm just plinking. Plus lefty versions are more expensive and their resale value sucks.

Way to sit in the back of the bus Uncle Tom.

Mostly I just want to force myself to learn to shoot LH and want to remove the "temptation" to keep shooting righty

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ugh. You have no idea how much I want a drilling right now.

I've been going on more and more long-ish walks recently. Part of it is working out, part of it is trying to clear my head while writing. I have also been reading some cheesy early 20th century action novels and frequently the main characters are the kinds of guys who just saunter around their ranch with a shotgun in case they see something tasty.

My current fantasy is owning land with lots of tasty things on it, and owning a general purpose "walk around and shoot poo poo" gun. It would be a drilling, but chambered in 12ga with a fowl loading, .308 or some other deer killing caliber, and .22LR or some similar small rabbit killing caliber. It would have awesome engravings on it, beautiful wood, and probably cost as much as my house. I would take it on long walks and be ready to kill anything that looked tasty enough to eat.

My wife just laughed at me with that certain patronizing type of understanding that she extends all my pipe dreams.

One of my best friends bust a gut and told me I basically described the life of a mid-19th Century Prussian Junker and asked if I wanted to enlist in the Imperial German Army so I could wear the awesome uniforms to balls and then screw up European politics for 60 straight years.

yes

This but more of a Skeeter Skelton thing where I am kinda drunk all the time and people just laugh it off and somehow keep electing me sheriff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Drav posted:

I would like to give this a try

What is that thing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

The sights, the barrel, the stock, and the missing stripper clip guides, you mean.

You guys are crazy, that gun is so much better this way.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

Something like this, complete with a crossdraw holster:

45ACP with a short barrel - whatever the shortest possible barrel is with a still functioning ejector rod. Hm, or an even tinier one in .357Mag:

Granted, I'd take both guns in this picture, but I'm only wanting the one in the back right now.

All of these rule.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Low-power optics are great on leverguns.

Practical sure, but still ugly and ruin the lines of the gun, unless it is a big fat Marlin 1895.

This was my favorite toy ever.

And it really was murder when loaded with pennies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular posted:

I want a CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer, modified with a monocore integrally suppressed barrel.

I want CZ to make a loving LH version of that gun. I would put a loudener on it however, so everyone would look over and see my awesome gun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

Is the Savage Accustosk worth it, or are there better aftermarket options? Since MD is more than likely going to make it difficult for me to hunt with my AR without becoming a felon, I'm looking at other options for a deer rifle.

How so? Also where have you found that rifle hunting is feasible?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

I really want a good airgun right now. Probably a rifle around $200. We need an airgun thread.

No poo poo. I snagged on of the Woot ones and have a million questions.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

Guess what was waiting for me on the porch when I got home from class?

I'll take pictures tomorrow, after I mount the scope and zero it.

What the gently caress? I haven't even gotten a shipping notification yet?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

I want these weird Remington Model 81 guns that are for sale on my local boards. The seller is really bad at pictures.

They're like $5000 though

Buy it. One of those with a police mag has been a white whale of mine for some time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

I want a fancy-pants 1911. However the money for one would likely pay for all or most of the shed I need to build in order to expand my reloading set up to the point where I can afford to shoot .45acp all the time.

So yea this is the next gun I want I guess:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

That is amazing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Drav posted:

Welp, this gun just became my winter goal.

Image and desire courtesy of moosepoop.

Marlin 1895 SBL with an Aimpoint on top. Done.

I have this exact same gun and while it is fun, you are better off getting an old Marlin and learning to live without the full length tube. I have owned an old on in addition to this one and the quality difference is pretty big.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Drav posted:

As in it doesn't work or what? That's all I care about, hope that isn't the case. :/

The fit/finish is noticeably worse and the action is rough as hell. I honestly don't even shoot it anymore, it is that unpleasant. Someday I will get around to fixing it or having it fixed I guess.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

also this was in the shop.

It is rad. Too rad.

How much ammo and will they ship it to an FFL3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Being modified I don't think they would ship to a C&R. A lot of times I think you can get away with it, but when you have a gun chambered in a cartridge that new that blurry line maybe isn't so blurry.

Was 110 loaded rounds, and either 90 or 70ish brass, I can't recall. Of course the beauty of that chambering is that you can still shoot .38 or .357.

As far as buying it goes, I think you will have to wrestle it away from Not Nipsy Russel. I intend to pressure him to box thread/range report it when he picks it up.

For the record if he hadn't reacted the way he did to my text you were the next person I was going to contact. I'll continue to keep an eye out for one for you. I have seen them around, just usually in some sort of oddball (in a bad way) round.

I'll ask in the shop if there are any more of these forthcoming actually. They had 2, he said they were from the same guy, but the other one was just a stock .310 gun.

Hah, thanks. I really want one in .357mag. I am about done buying "practical" guns and am ready to return to weird poo poo.

«2 »