Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Murray growls, baring sharp rows of teeth. The words come out in the barest of whispers. "This ritual is old, very old. Traditions must be followed, but there will be a great deception. One mortal shall be chosen as the judge. If he can be prevented..." The hellcat shakes its head violently. "If he does not find even ten righteous men in the city, the Wrath will fall. That is they key. Find the judge. Protect him. No Wrath. If those casting the ritual find him first..."

Murray does not repeat his offer, he sits, unnaturally still, and waits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 0
Hugues - FP: 1 -> 0

Mitsuo hisses at the feline figure. "drat you, cat. drat you for being amused at this. We will send you back, but not before you hear this: You will not speak of this. You will not think of this. You were not summoned, you did not speak to anyone, you will reveal nothing to anyone."

The two busy themselves again, preparing a new ritual. Hugues looks through his shelves and bookcases, producing a small silver bell. He removes the clapper and sets it down near the circle. From the kitchen he grabs another pinch of rosemary. Sitting, he closes his eyes and begins to meditate. Mitsuo does the same, putting down his books and kneeling. After a few breaths he raises his hands and runs through a series of mudras. The last one is simple - two fingers extended, the rest curled under his palm - and placed directly in front of his mouth. Finally the two release their power. Hugues picks up and "rings" the silent bell, casting the rosemary as he does so. Mitsuo mouths a short command without speaking it. The air thickens in the room as the spell settles onto Murray.

Mitsuo's Lore +3, Hugues' "Protector of the Small," Hugues' Resources, Hugues' Lore, Hugues' Discipline, Mitsuo's "Kingdom of Shadows," Mitsuo's Discipline.
17 Complexity for a super-maneuver adding sticky aspect "Let Us Never Speak of This Again" for at least a month. Controlling power 1 shift at a time which makes it impossible to fail.

"去って。戻りしていけない。 Go away and do not return."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Murray shrieks in pain. "Whyyyyy?!" and collapses into a puddle of purple goo, which dissolves into ectoplasm and is gone.

It is unlikely he will forgive an insult like this lightly if ever, but the binding was strong. It should hold, right?

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 0
Hugues - FP: 0

Hugues takes a moment to calm down once the demon is gone. He doesn't say anything for a full minute before letting out a long sigh. "So. We both seemed to learn a lot from this, the demon issue the least of our concerns. I learned to never summon a demon you summoned before in front of someone who doesn't know your past. What did you learn Mitsuo?"

Mitsuo looks Hugues up and down. "Many things. Two of particular import. One, that you are a magical construct, the shade of a dead man. And two, you are, or were, a Warden."

"The first is only true from a certain point of view. I prefer the term clone to magical construct. When I fought the disciples of Kemmler back in World War II, I stumbled on a ritual to transfer my soul to a different body instead of properly dying. The part I received from this demon was getting the body instead of stealing someone else's." Mitsuo's stare doesn't lessen, which doesn't surprise Hugues. "That's not what bothers you though, is it?"

With a small shrug, Mitsuo replies, "It is quite disturbing, but I must admit that the other thing worries me more immediately. Especially since I could see myself acting in much the same way during the war, had I not been embroiled in a culture that glorified the fall of the cherry blossom. But let us start here: are you a Warden of the White Council?"

"I'm fairly certain that the White Council revoked my Warden status when I technically died. So, no. But I was, and I still see myself like one," Hugues says simply. "But...I'm also a Lawbreaker. That's why I helped you instead of killing you and that warlock a while back. I'm... not fully sure what I am anymore..."

"We are always in flux. Life is a process, not a state. Even a year ago I would have run screaming from a Warden, as I have done for so many years, but now I find myself consorting with two Wardens. And you... you are a Lawbreaker, and a sympathetic man. You seem quicker to aid others than to judge them. Certainly the Council would be even less pleased with you than they would be with me. It appears that circumstances wish to force us together." A hard smile appears on Mitsuo's face. "Two Wardens, and both of them fools. But I like the foolish ones better."

After a moment of thought, Mitsuo takes a step towards Hugues and, in a radical break from his usual aloofness, puts his hands gently on the boy-man's shoulders. "I do not think you need to label yourself. Others will label you so they can understand you, to break down your complex nature into simple pieces they can grasp. You should revel in the complexity of your self."

Hugues lets out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me. Just...do me a favor--favor, and not what the hell we just did to that demon--and don't mention this to anyone. A few people already know, but right now it's probably safer to just not say to anyone, especially Cole. Someone else might overhear at the worst time. Best avoid fatal accidents."

Then Hugues walks over to the book Mitsuo brought over. "As for what to do with this... well, I don't think either of us should hold on to it, it's too tempting and dangerous. But right now we might need it with the current situation so we can't destroy this book right away. However... I have more faith in my Wards than you, and it'll probably be obvious if I start throwing around this much power when I can hardly throw around any on my own. So with your permission, I'd like to watch the book until we stop the Wrath of the Lord. Then we'll figure out what to do with it, if we're still alive then."

"Always in flux. An hour ago I would have refused outright. Now, I agree completely. Bind it as tightly as you can. Oh, and there was one other thing- where is your fridge? I would love a cold drink."

Hugues points out a slightly rusty fridge around the corner. Mitsuo pops it open. Rather than reach inside, though, he pulls the sword-pin out of his pocket. He holds it up for Hugues to see. Once he has Hugues' attention, he moves broadly to put the pin in the fridge. Looking back up, he points at the pin, motioning for Hugues to do the same. Hugues raised an eyebrow at first, but did the same with the pin, placing it in the fridge.

Mitsuo takes Hugues by the shoulder and leads him across the room. "Sorry for the charades. Most soundproof thing I could think of. This may be overly paranoid, but we have no idea what these pins do aside from summoning Cole. They may be surveillance devices of some kind. Would you take some time to analyze yours when we are not otherwise busy? I would prefer that Cole or the Council not be listening to the things we say and do. Demon summoning is the least of our transgressions."

Hugues pauses for a long moment, his eyes widening. Everything that Mitsuo heard from the demon, everything he just told Mitsuo, hell everything with Jenny. Cole could know? He raises his arms about to scream at Mitsuo like an angry child, but then holds back and starts pacing in thought. "Why didn't you mention this before...all of this?"

"Well, honestly it slipped my mind. But! Hear me out!" Mitsuo raises his hands to fend off the wrath of a wizard and a childish tantrum all at once. "I did not think of it before today, when I was talking to Ada. Reading the grimoire led naturally into getting information from Murray, no problem there, no laws broken although the Council would not give us a medal for it. I obviously had no idea the demon would expose you this way. But, will he, nil he, the Council or any hypothetical listener cannot act on that information without revealing their surveillance and thus rendering it useless. As they say, the devil you know is better than the devil you do not. Still, I hope I am just being foolish. But we will be more careful in the future."

"I hope to God you're right. I... Ugh." He puts a finger to his mouth and shooshes Mitsuo before going back to the fridge and grabbing a cold Sprite, and places it on his head before walking back. "I don't know about you but all of this is giving me a headache. So, let's call it for the night, I'll figure out what's up with the pins later on. I'll have the info back to you by tomorrow."

Exhausted, the two shake hands and take their leave, a much friendlier occasion than their meeting a few hours ago. Mitsuo nearly collapses into the driver's seat. Once home he cracks a soda, turns on the radio, and lets the events of the day wash away.

e: re-acquired pin before leaving

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 29, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Nidawi taps lightly on Hugues' window at around two in the morning. "Oy, gotcher report!" She buzzes around his head excitedly, but she settles some as she realizes he's in a bit of a bad mood. "What's wrong? Grumpypants is more grumpy than pants today..."

She clears her throat. "I know I'm late but it's because the Warden went to Edinburg! Well, first he woke up, had tea, did two hours of sword drills..." She unsheathes a plastic cocktail sword, the kind you use for cherries, and waves it about with surprising skill. "Got dressed up all nice and cut a hole through to the NeverNever. Right in the alley behind his house! I went with, but I couldn't go past the portal Warden. That door is spelled." She lands, sighing. "Didn't come back out for hours and hours, only got back just now. Seemed in a bit of a better mood than when he left. Maybe good news?" Nidawi pauses, looking thoughtful. "No trouble on the road in Faerie, unusual. Maybe Ways are safer than they have been of late? That is good. Now where is my pizza! I want the little ones, the ones on bagels!"

Refresh overnight, but we haven't hit a milestone yet. I think it's time the gang got back together and shared information.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 29, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 0 --> 1 --> 0 --> 2

Last night...
As Mitsuo left, Hugues took the demon book and set it in a corner of his lab. Then he placed a small circle around it, and set up a ward to prevent someone from scrying the book. He'd have to trust his Wards to keep someone from taking it by brute force. Once that was taken care of, he hid the book and it's warding circle under a cardboard box and went straight to bed, exhausted from his day's work.

Ward Thaumaturgy. Base 5 + 3 Maneuvers (Lore, Discipline and Resources) = 11 Complexity.
7 Shifts of Power to Block a Divination (based on Extended Divination from the book), and the other 4 to increase the duration from a Scene (guessing "a few hours") to "a week."
+++- = 2 +--- = -2 //+- = 0 -/+- = -1 /-/- = -2 /+// = 1 -+-+ = 0 +/-+ = 1 -++/ = 1 +++- = 2 ---- = -4 Fortunately, the GM was merciful and gave a retroactive FP for Mitsuo finding out, so the spell goes off without a hitch.

------------
Pixie Report!

Hugues felt like he was going to rip this pixie's head off for waking him up this late, but he did forget about her and she did have an excuse, so it wasn't all her fault.
Going through the Nevernever? All dressed up? Either Cole's in a long-distance relationship or it was a trip back to Edinburg. Also, he needed to look into giving this fairy a real sword if things got really bad.
"Good, because that's all I got for you, pizza shops aren't open this late." Dammit, he wanted those Bagel Bites! He'd have to get some more later.

--------------------------
Skip to morning. Refresh!

Hugues pulled out his Warden Pin, thinking of what Mitsuo said. Based on Nidawi's report, there's no chance Cole would have eavesdropped on them today, unless it was from Edinburg but that was doubtful. So what they learned from the meeting was probably safe, including Mitsuo's revelation. However, it was information that needed to be acted on instantly. Hugues pulled out his phone and called Ada.

"Hey Ada, it's Hugues. Mitsuo and I did some research on the whole Demon issue and, well, we think we know what's going on. Also I want to take a look and see how that boy we found in the zombie-place was doing. Mind if we kill two birds with one stone and have the meeting on your place? ... Alright thanks. ... Uhh, an hour from now should be fine, I need to do some last minute research on things. ... Jenny? She's...well, she's still shocked but she's doing a little better. Probably best if you talk to her. But if she doesn't want to leave her house, let's not push it. ... Alright, thank you. See you then."

With that done, Hugues walked into his lab and pulled out the monocle he used for appraisal. Then he sat down at the couch, stared at the Warden Pin sitting on the coffee table, took in a deep breath and opened his third eye.

Two Maneuvers. Discipline for Zen, Resources for Appraisal Monocle.
Discipline: /--+ +4 = 3... Good enough.
Resources: +-/- +3 = 2... The monocle! It does nothing!

:stare: posted:

Lore: /-/+ +5 = 5. Boost with Zen for 7!! so I can get two Aspects out of this thing and make it quick.
Discovered Aspect "Cole's Tracking Spell" and there is no second Aspect to discover.

The Sight attacks! +--/ +3 = 2... Hugues defends! +-/+ +4 = 5!

Hugues closed his third eye and let out a sigh of relief. Looks like it was just Mitsuo being paranoid. The tracking spell was the one Cole mentioned before, that would let Cole know if he activated it. There was still the possibility that Cole could have his own identical pin and use a Divination to scry on any of his other pins (or more likely all at once, like a series of windows) but that wouldn't be something Hugues would be able to detect unless it was actually happening, which so far it probably hadn't. With that Hugues made himself lunch, got on his bicycle and started riding to Ada's place.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 29, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Phone calls were made and the group arranged to meet at the duSang house. J.R. showed up a little early, Mitsuo showed up exactly on time, and Jenny was five minutes late. Fifteen more minutes went by with no sign of Hugues.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2

"LEMME GO! LEMME GO!
"I TOLD YOU I'M HERE TO SEE ADA!
"SO JUST LET ME GO TO---MMfmfmfmmmm...."

Roy walked in, lifting Hugues with one arm under his shoulders, and another clamped firmly over Hugues' mouth. Even while being held captive against a clearly larger and stronger foe, Hugues kept kicking and flailing away, even though it was having no effect on the butler at all.

"Miss Ada, we found this little-" Hugues kicked extra hard and managed to get the butler to briefly pause, "-tresspasser sneaking by the front gate. We were going to inform the police, but since he kept insisting he was here to see you, we decided to confirm with you first."

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 30, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 1

Ada couldn't help but grin at Hugues' situation. Of all things that could have happened to him, seeing him immobilized by the aging and loyal Roy wasn't something she would have thought was in the cards. She nodded. "He's alright, Roy. He does indeed have some business with me.". After dismissing the unflappable butler, Ada turned her attention to Hugues. "So. What was holding you up, then? Besides a close encounter of the butler kind, I mean."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

When Hugues was set down, he turned at the retreating butler. "My bicycle better be where I left it!" He yelled angrily, before turning back to Ada. "Right. First things first." He pulled out the Warden Pin. "Mitsuo had me take a look at these, and we're being paranoid. Cole trusts us, and he can't really use these to spy on us. At least not without creating a magical projection of himself, Divination is funny like that. It's just a spell waiting to be cast that will tell Cole where we are, but only if we cast the spell on the Pin." Then he let out a long sigh, before speaking again. "Second, there's two threats going on here, and I sincerely hope they are linked together, because so far I haven't seen any link between them.

"The first threat is a necromantic demon. A powerful sponsor of magic to raise the dead. From our...source, this demon has entered a contract with a vampire. Technically the word used was "Phage" which applies to really all the vampires, but our Source thought it might be the White Court, so we should check them first. I think what we found in the copy shop was just raised by their own power, not by a demons power.

"The second threat is of course the demon attacks. Our source thinks they are trying to recreate the Wrath of God on the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

"When the tongue speaks only lies
When the ear hears only painful cries
When the eye sees only violence and death
When the hand strikes only the innocent

Then shall come down the Wrath of the LORD
The sea shall rise, the ground falter
The city shall perish in fire and water

"We saw the eye that sees only violence and death, the eye of a demon-hunter, and the hand that strikes only the innocent, the hand of a priest. We have no idea if they have the tongue or the ear yet. Our source also says that when the ritual is completed, a mortal shall be chosen as a judge, and it's that mortal's duty to find ten righteous men."

Hugues looks forward and smiles a weak smile. "Any questions?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2

"We have two immediate options," Mitsuo stated as he claimed an overstuffed armchair for himself. "If anyone has a guess at where we can get more information, we can try and get ahead of this. We would have to find a link between the necromancer and the Wrath - assuming there is one - track down the source of the threat and shut it down before the Wrath is brought down on the city.

"Or, we set up the best web of surveillance and recon that we can. A supernatural stake-out, if you will. We make sure that we are ready to act on a moment's notice to pinpoint and neutralize any threat, pick up any possible leads, and move on the bad guys while they are over-extended.

"So the first question then is, does anyone see a way to act first? Some bit of information or another person who might be connected to the threat?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 5

"If'n you give me a few minutes and a quiet spot, I can see what I can find out." JR offers. Ada calls in Roy, and the butler shows JR into a small study. JR looks around for a moment, and grabs a notepad and pen from a desk, and a book (How to Win Friends & Influence People) from a shelf behind it. He sits down at the desk, and places the book in front of him. JR sets his hand on top the book, clears his mind, and gathers in power for several minutes. A quiet *pop* is heard, and JR grins and opens the book. A sheet of paper, of the same style as the notepad, is folded within. JR opens it up and reads it - "page 6 of the sunday times". He grunts in acknowledgement, then rips off the top sheet of the notepad. He quickly scrawls "page 6 of the sunday times" on it, then folds it and places it inside the book before returning the book to it's original location.

JR returns to the group, where presumably they have been trying to think of how to find information. "Ada, you got a copy of the Sunday Times 'round here? I got a powerful strong feeling there is something I need to see in it."

JR cast a time-based divination to get some info. It was of complexity 3, so no prep needed, and it went off without a hitch.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Page six is the Entertainment section. There's a lot on it, notices about concerts and opening movies and theater productions. The main draws and their locations this week are listed:

Dylan Merle, the old-timey country western singer will be performing Monday night. (tonight)
May Brady, a popular gospel singer will be performing on Wednesday night with the Tenth Street Choir.
Purple Oleanders, the alternative hip-hop group is playing a special charity concert on Tuesday night and their main concert on Friday night.
Camilla, the native New Orleans R&B superstar is singing on Friday night and Saturday night.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 31, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

"It's music, see? A tongue that speaks only lies and an ear hears only painful cries - one of those has got to be one of these musicians - not sure which, though. Seems like there's something going on near every night this week," JR points out as he shows the paper to the others.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5

Jenny was still a little depressed when she pulled up to Ada's place, but it was nice to be out in the open again. The cool breeze through her open window felt nice, and she ignored the dampness of the air with long-trained patience. She wasn't up to full speed yet, but she felt better. A lot better.

quote:

"The second threat is of course the demon attacks. Our source thinks they are trying to recreate the Wrath of God on the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah."

Wait, what?

Sodom and Gomorrah? Jenny thought about interrupting him, but he was already reading off some poem. Seriously, Sodom and Gomorrah? Maybe Pat Robertson was right.

Now that's a scary thought.

quote:

"It's music, see? A tongue that speaks only lies and an ear hears only painful cries - one of those has got to be one of these musicians - not sure which, though. Seems like there's something going on near every night this week," JR points out as he shows the paper to the others.

Jenny studies the list for a while, thinking, before speaking up. Her voice is hesitant and a bit hoarse, but still clearly audible. "Well... at least so far, everyone who's been attacked has been pretty deeply religious. The lines in the poem seem to be reversed from their original intent, unless Father James was up to something we didn't know about. A tongue that speaks only lies... a gospel singer sounds like the obvious choice, really, if it's reversing the normal intent."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues nods in approval at Jenny's observation. "That was on my mind too. Since he was uninformed of the supernatural until very recently, as a priest I honestly cannot imagine him hitting anyone. But by the same token, neither does Nazarene's eye, since she clearly saw things in her life other than violence. However, the poem is an exaggeration and probably not meant for English anyway. Not to mention this is probably the intent of whoever is behind this, to twist and deceive to find a meaning that is not necessarily true."

But then he paused as a thought came to mind. "I think whoever is collecting these is trying to take the body parts of religious people, again as a connection to the Divine. So I feel as though we can safely say that if we want to stop the other parts from being gathered, then we need to keep an eye on anyone with a strong religious connection. Otherwise, it would be a lot easier and a lot less noticeable to take the eye from any gangster than someone with high standing in the community. The gospel singer is a great place to start for the tounge."

And then Hugues sent a smile to Mitsuo, with a touch of childish smugness. "The fae, or at least the Small Folk have a bit of a name for me. Protector of the Small. They know me and are willing to work for me provide I pay them back in return. In fact, since Cole came to town I've had a pixie following him every where he goes for pizza. With a lot more pizza, I can expand this network for a while. If I go this far though, I might ask for some financial assistance. That's a lot of pizza."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo nods his approval. "Then why don't we combine our two options? We can follow up on JR's musicians ourselves, check out as many of the shows as we can, see what turns up. Special emphasis on the gospel singer... Brady." He jabs a finger at the paper in JR's hand.

"On top of that, though, we make the local Domino's very rich, hire a gang of pixies to canvas the whole city, put out some magical feelers, and definitely make sure there's at least one on each of these musicians when we're not around. If anything weird happens, they go flying right to Hugues, and we make sure Hugues can get word to us at all times." Completely deadpan, he turns to Roy who's hanging out in the next room, dusting an expensive-looking side table. "Roy, are you any good at tossing dough?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 1

"You know..." Ada said, thinking about what the others had said, "Mitsuo is right about trying to get ahead of whoever's behind this. We've got an idea of where to look when it comes to the tongue mentioned in the poem. What about the ear? Any ideas what that might stand for? Maybe some sort of confidante? Someone who listens to others for a living? If we know what the likely target for each attack is, nobody'll end up hurt when a demon swoops in. Well...nobody except those bastards, at least." Ada said, kicking her chair back slightly as she spoke, her eyes flaring up a little. "And that aside...when are we going to check in on the White Court? If we have to keep an eye out for the musicians, the only free day we'll have will be Thursday, won't it?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5

"Well... it's a concert. I'm guessing that they're going to attack sometime before or afterwards, since they know where the singer is and there'll be quite a few people milling around, but that still gives us quite a bit of the day left. We can check out the White Court people sometime earlier in the day."

Jenny sighs, putting her head into her hands. "Actually, what are we going to be able to *do*, anyway? Do any of you know how to get backstage and hang around the performers? We're going to need a plan, and we don't look much like security. We're going to need to talk our way into doing... something that'll make it okay for us to stick around."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I don't know about talking our way into getting backstage, but as for looking around, I have a plan. And you can thank Mitsuo's paranoid version of Cole for this. We scry. I can have a pixie hold a shard of glass from a mirror and link it with the mirror to show what the shard sees. Attach a scrap of paper on the back of the shard from a note pad and I can even write instructions to the pixie for silent communication. I'll need to be close by to minimize the magic footprint, but we'll need to be close by in case of an emergency anyway."

But as Hugues spoke of his plan, a thought came to mind. "But...what should we do about Cole? He's just as involved in this mess as we are. Who should tell him, and how much?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"It sounds like we have a plan. We hire our pixie army, set some on the musicians, and use the rest to canvas the city as best we can. Check out the shows ourselves. I am confident that I can find my way backstage if necessary, legitimately or otherwise. As for Cole... well, he does not need to know most of this. We should give him just enough to lead us naturally to the musicians. When we track down their assailant, the rest should become apparent to him. I suggest we tell him that Steve woke up briefly, spoke our riddle, and fell comatose again. Any better ideas?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Sounds like a mighty fine plan to me. I can go to the show tonight, it is more my kind of music anyhow. As far as telling Cole, I don't see why we don't just tell him everything we found out about what's happening. I mean, it ain't like we really got anything to hide, and the more folks we got on this demon problem the faster we can get it fixed. Wait a minute - " JR pauses for a moment, before turning a suspicious look on Mitsuo. "What do you mean, 'tell him Steve woke up and said the riddle'? Where'd you learn this, anyhow?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues spoke up instantly at JR's question to Mitsuo. "That's none of your business."

(Hugues attempts Intimidation, JR defends with Discipline.
Intimidation: +/-- = -1... vs Discipline: --// +2 = 0... JR wins!)

All that managed was to just bring JR's gaze towards Hugues, completely unfazed. Well, that did nothing. Hugues let out a long sigh. "Our source was a demon we summoned. Just a lesser one, and one that was unrelated to the attacks, and we never let it outside of the circle. When we asked about the hand and eye, it quoted that bit of a song. Not a word of this part to Cole. He'll get angry and suspicious. Since none of us are directly connected to the White Council, demon summoning is supposed to be off limits. And even then they don't really like using it."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 5->6->5

"You summoned a demon!?" JR shouts as he stands on his feet. "Well, then. I already had my doubts when Mitsuo wanted to make deals with a souleater. And now I find both of you are out summoning demons." JR reaches inside his duster and pulls out his pistol, holding it down at his side. "What makes you any better than whoever we're hunting?"

Self-Compel on The Man Comes Around to have JR confront the demon summoners Hugues and Mitsuo. Using Presence (plus the Weight of Reputation stunt) to intimidate to put Fear of God (Or At Least JR) aspect on Hugues. -+/- +3 = 2. Invoking The Devil's Right Hand to give a +2, using the implied threat of the gun, so total is +4. Hugues's discipline roll is +//- +4 = 4, so he gets the aspect, though it is fragile.

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 3, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->6

Uh oh. Time to step in before this gets even more out of hand. Eyes flashing, Jenny jumps up and places herself directly between J.R. and Hughes. "What do you think you're doing? Put that away!"

Wheeling around, Jenny glares at Hughes as well. "And you! Don't even think about it, I see you playing with that gauntlet. Both of you need to sit and talk this out. You are both guests in this house, and I won't have either one of you getting blood all over the floor. Put them away, both of you, and behave like adults!"

Self-compel on Apprentice To A Four Foot Tall Fourth Grader to leap up.

Rapport +-+- +5 = 5 to establish a block. No fighting!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Maybe it was ingrained in every child to at least stand down when spoken to with that tone of voice. Nevertheless, it was good to see Jenny at least somewhat back to her old self even if now she was frightening in a different more mundane way. Plus he was fiddling with his gauntlet. "Alright fine, let me take it off." Hugues turned away from JR, although not turning his back in the cowboy, and carefully unstrapped his gauntlet and placed it on the floor, followed by his sword for good measure. To a proper Wizard, that would have been a symbolic gesture. To Hugues...it was everything he had.

"There. I'm unarmed. You have fought by my side enough to know that I don't have any other weapons." He let out a long sigh, and looked up at JR again. "Yes, we summoned a demon. I repeat, it was a demon completely unrelated to the ones causing this mess. It was something we thought of carefully to figure out where these two threats were coming from. Without that demon's knowledge, we would probably be in this exact place only without any leads.

"And I've always believed I was better than the very same demons we're fighting. I am not trying to cause violence, harvesting human body parts all for a wretched ritual that will reduce New Orleans to dust and ashes by fire and brimstone. I like to think I'm much better than the whoever we're hunting. This was probably not the best way to find this information, but it was fast and time is not on our side."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Time's always on my side, boy," JR says with a glare. After a tense moment, he slams it back into his holster. "This ain't over. When we've stopped whoever it is that's summoning demons, other than you two, we're gonna have another talk about this, and you'll like as like as not you'll need your weapons then." JR heads towards the exit. "I'll show myself out."

Outside, as JR gets into a cab to head to Cole's office, he fumes mentally. Those idiots were out summoning demons like it wasn't nothing! Rather than fight against evil, they were working with it, and JR wasn't just gonna let that go. Whatever Hugues was, though, he was right about one thing - now wasn't the time to get into it.

Using presence to intimidate, using the free tag on Huges. +/+- +5 = 6 beats Jenny's block of 5, so Hugues can defend against it as normal or just take the 1 stress.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 4, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP:2)

Cole burst out of the door to his office as J.R. got out of his cab, not even bothering to lock it behind him. He had his cloak and sword with him and took off around the corner of the building at a dead sprint.

In the alley behind the building the boundary with the NeverNever was very thin. It was the primary reason Cole had picked the place when given the choice. The Wardens had much nicer locations in town but none of them had a fast-track to Faerie.

"Hamba'enda." he whispered, and a thin door in reality swung open.

Cole rolls Disc to open a portal to the NeverNever. ///- +5 = 4, difficulty in the alley is 3, portal opens.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR watches as Cole opens a portal in a hurry. JR had never made a portal himself, but he'd heard about it - wizards making a direct path to the Nevernever by themselves. Didn't seem the kind of thing you did lightly, though. "Warden! I can do you a favor, if you're heading for a brush. I need to work some mad off."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole FP:2

Cole looked up in surprise. This was a stroke of luck, and the Cole wasn't generally a lucky guy. But given who he was on his way to help, it might be more like Providence than luck. "Come on I'll explain on the way." He held the portal long enough for JR to step in and followed, letting it close behind him.

Inside the portal it was pitch dark and the air was hot and stifling and smelled of old dirt. Cole held up his quartz crystal. "Good, I know where we are. Go forward. It opens up in a bit."

--

The light revealed that they were standing between two walls of solid earth that extended up past where the light could illuminate. There was barely enough room for a man to stand, and Cole was behind JR.

The DARKNESS attacks! Intimidation: -/// +3 = 2. Opposed by Disc. Mental battle!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 4, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 5->6

JR is unexpectedly transported underground into the dark, lit only by Cole's dim crystal. JR is immediately flashed back to his grave, and he desperately tries to bring forth light from the first thing that comes to mind - his hat. The effort fails, and JR struggles to grab his holy bullet from his pocket - but the terror of the dark imprisonment is too much, and JR is unable to get his shaking hand into his pocket. With a desperate grunt, JR sprints forward into what he hopes is a more open area.

Discipline ++-/ +2 = 3 to defend against the darkness's intimidation. Conviction +/+- +1 = 2 to "attack" by making his hat glow fails. Discipline +/++ +2 = 5 to defend against the intimidating darkness. Conviction //+/ +1 = 2 to make JR's holy bullet light up fails. Discipline --// +2 = 0 to defend against the darkness fails, and JR takes 1 point of mental stress. Athletics /--/ +5 = 3 to get to a more open area hits, doing 1 damage to the darkness.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 4, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Are you claustrophobic? Sorry it's kind of a crapshoot where it opens out when I use the alley." Cole says, moving up after JR. "But we need to hurry. There's trouble at the Prayer Circle, the kind with teeth."

--

The earthen walls end abruptly and the ground turns to squishy mud as Cole and JR stumble out of the narrow canyon into a dead swamp. Cole's light looks sickly pale as it reflects off dead twisted stumps of palmetto trees sticking spider-like out of the swamp. The air is wet and smells like rot. There are small glowing lights surrounding the caps of overlarge poisonous looking mushrooms. The place is utterly, unnaturally silent.

--

"Almost there. This way." Cole steps into the murk and sinks up to his knees but doesn't seem at all bothered by it. "It would be 30 minutes by cab, but this way..." He grunts, half stuck for a second. "We'll get there in five. So, did you come by for a reason or did I just get lucky?"

The DARKNESS is down to intimidate 2 here, presence 2 defending, and (x)()() health.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 6->5

JR is breathing heavily, almost wheezing now. "Had a ... bad situation ... a couple years back," JR manages to get his hand into his pocket, and pulls out his blessed bullet. He begins to channel energy into it, relying on faith as much as magic to make it begin to glow with a dim light. "Found out some stuff ... on the people the demons are targeting."

Discipline //-+ +2 = 2 fails by 1, so JR takes another 1 point mental stress hit. Conviction /--- +1 = -2 to make a light fails. Discipline /-+- +2 = 1 defends. Conviction +//+ +1 = 3, plus a fate point to invoke The Man Comes Around to channel light into his holy bullet.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Hugues blocks with Discipline: +/-/ +4 = 4. Less than Jenny's Block of 5, so using that. 1 social stress damage.)

Hugues stood in silence once more, trying to not let his own fear show although despite everything, JR was a scary man, and he was really not looking forward to that future confrontation. "Well?" Hugues said, looking around the room, specifically at Jenny and Ada. "Unless the rest of you also have issues with my methods, I'm going get some pixies on recon." He picked up and put his gauntlet back on, then his sword and left without giving anyone else much time to really say anything.

When he got back to the front gate, he found his bicycle sitting there, looking extra shiny. Maybe that ninja butler wasn't so bad after all, although Hugues was still confused as to how he snuck up on him in the first place. Still, Ada's mansion was good for one thing, and that was privacy, especially with all these large trees everywhere. He stood under one, positioning himself behind the tree from the mansion's view, and whistled.

It took a few moments, but a red light streaked across the sky and then right in front of Hugues, before fading and showing the form of Nidawi. "Oy, your pants are looking extra grumpy now. Wot 'chu want? I was watching that bloke until you called me over here."
Extra grumpy? "Ahem, that's good and you're still going to be doing that, but I need more help. Specifically from more pixies. I need you to call up some of your friends, I have more jobs."
"OK!" Nidawi said with a cheerful smile and rushed up into the sky.
(Nidawi's Contacts to bring up more Pixies. Nidawi has the base Pixie Stunt "Ear to the Ground" which gives +2 in this situation.
Nidawi's Contacts: /-/+ +3 +2 = 5!! Nidawi summons 5 Pixies.)

----skipping boring section where Hugues negotiates the same deal he made with Nidawi----

"Alright. Nidawi, your orders are the same, keep following Cole. I and my human comrades will be interacting with him quite a bit, but you need to keep track of his actions even during those times." Nidawi saluted and flashed her red light in reply. "Aye aye, general grumpypants!"
"Weayaya, go out and find the human performer Dylan Merle. He's a country singer that will be performing tonight, but I need you to watch him all day. I'll call on you later with more information on your mission." Weayaya saluted, and flashed his orange light in reply. "Got it, man. Don't need to worry with me on the job."
"Chepi, I need you to go to Mother Sula's prayer circle and keep an eye on them, especially Mother Sula herself. The prayer circle has already had victims, and I do not want more." Chepi saluted, and flashed her yellow light in reply. "Will do, you can count on me!"
"Makya, I happen to know the location of a White Court Vampire strip club. I'm sending you there to keep an the vampires of the Raith family. Don't get distracted by the strippers and let me know if they talk to anyone from another faction." Makya saluted, and flashed his green light in reply, with a large grin. "Hehehe, don't worry, I'll keep my eye on these vampires."
"Hinto, you need to search the city for any other White Court Vampries that belong to the Malvora or Skavis families. These two run on Fear and Despair instead of Lust, so look for high concentrations of those. The moment you find them, you need to follow them and see what they're up to." Hinto saluted, and flashed his blue light in reply. "I don't know if I can find them, but I'll try my best!"
"Calfuray, your job is probably the most dangerous. We have come in contact with Black Court vampires in this city and they are in hiding. I need you to try and figure out where they are hiding and that's it. They'll probably enjoy eating you so keep your distance." Calfuray saluted and flashed her violet light in reply. "Of course. I'll do what it takes!"

"Good. Now, all of you, you have a second set of orders to go along with your first. The moment you spot any demons in the city, you instantly drop what you're doing and take me to those demons. Do not interfere. Like the black court, you'll probably just make a good meal and I can't have you getting killed on me. Do you all understand?"
One by one each of the pixies extended an arm to give a thumbs up, except for Nidawi who gave a thumbs down. "No objections, grumpypants!"
Hugues reached out and lightly smacked her on the head. "No fooling around. The entire city is in danger and if this city gets destroyed in fire and brimstone, so does your pizza. You have your orders, and remember to to report back at night. Dismissed!" The pixies flew up into the sky in a flurry of rainbow colors, before spreading out each in different directions. Hugues leaned his back against the tree and slid downwards. "Ugh...these darn things are going to make me go broke..."

(Also updated Hugues' character sheet with the Pixie Payroll.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"You did? That's good news. I've got a lead on that myself, possibly. We should compare-"

Cole stops abruptly as the air shifts in temperature. Both men can see thier breath, and the wet mud begins to crust over slowly.

"This isn't... I've never run into anything on this path before." Cole says, drawing his sword. "JR. The door out is in front of that tree." He points about fifty feet ahead. "But I can't risk opening it until we deal with whatever this is. I'm not letting some monster from deep Faerie cross over after us."

--

There is a twang, and an arrow glowing with pale green light flies through the air and embeds itself in JR's hat. Another follows and nearly impales Cole but he backsteps just in time.

Two men step out from behind the spidery palmettos, dressed in skins and feathers. The paint on their faces glows with an unholy green light. They do not speak, but raise their bows again.

Init:
JR
Ghostly
Spectral
Cole

pre:
Name: Ghostly Indian
 Defense: Athletics 3
 Physical: ()()() + ()()
 Mild 2: 
 Moderate 4: 
 Major 6: 
pre:
Name: Spectral Indian
 Physical: ()()() + ()()
 Mild 2: 
 Moderate 4: 
 Major 6: 

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"SONOFABITCH!" JR shouts. It is just not his day. He'd nearly been killed an Indian ghost before - looks like his brothers were here to finish the job. Something seemed off about them, but between the enclosed space and the dim light JR wasn't in a good mental position to make a close inspection. Instead, he fell back into his default action when confronted by something that seemed about to kill him, and fired off a shot, still holding the glowing holy bullet in his left hand.

Lore /+/- +4 = 4 to recognize them as ghosts that seem a bit off. Supplemental action to draw my revolver, Guns -++- +4 = 4, Weapon: 2 (plus 2 if they have armor).
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:2 (1 use, then use mental stress to re-use)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, I Won't Back Down
Applicable Stunts: Shoot 'Em Where It Hurts: +2 Weapon vs. targets with armor
Physical:	() () () ()
Mental:		(X) (X) ()
Social:		() () ()
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	(), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	(), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	()

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The bullet slices through the side of the Ghostly Indian's face, but he doesn't make a sound. He simply draws another arrow and takes aim. His partner matches him and the two arrows fly together.

Warden Cole FP: 2->1

Cole isn't fast enough this time and takes it right in the shoulder with a yelp. "Spirits, there shouldn't be any ghosts here we're in deep Winter territory!" He snaps the arrow off at the base of the shaft with a grunt. "Wait... wait that's right, there shouldn't be... Which means they AREN'T, which means..." He laughs at the realization. "Fetches. This is what I get for bringing a friend."

Cole looks furiously at the pair of ghosts. "This is not dinnertime, and I don't have time for either of you." The muddy water isn't an obstacle at all as Cole charges the nearer of the two ghosts, bringing his sword to bear. The ghost attempts to parry with his bow but the blade takes a chunk out of him anyway.

Ghostly defends: /+// +3 = 4, takes 2 stress marks 2nd box.
Ghostly attacks JR: +/+- +4 = 5 at weapon:1
JR defends: /+-- +5 = 4, takes 2 stress.
Spectral attacks Cole: +/// +4 = 5 at weapon:1
Cole defends: -//- +3 = 1... WELL GEE, FP on Come Hell or High Water to reroll that, /-/+ +3 =3, so 3 stress. At least no consequence!
Cole's Lore +5 identifies the monsters.
Cole attacks: -+++ +3 = 5 at weapon:3
Ghostly defends: +//+ +3 =5, takes 3 stress.

pre:
 Physical: ()(X)(X) + ()()
 Mild 2: 
 Moderate 4: 
 Severe 6: 
pre:
Name: Cole
Defenses: Athletics +3
Aspects: Veteran of the Vampire War. Come Hell or High Water.
Mental: () () () ()
Physical: () () (X)
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"What in th' hell's a fetch?" JR shouts as he fires at the ghostly figure again, attempting to keep his distance.

Guns +-++ +5 = 7 at Ghostly, with a Weapon:2.
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:2 (1 use, then use mental stress to re-use)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, I Won't Back Down
Physical:	() (X) () ()

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 4, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The Ghostly Indian grimaces, baring pointed shark's teeth, as the bullet takes him in the knee. He drops his bow and pulls out a wicked looking knife, which he takes a swipe a Cole with. Cole takes a half-step back and the blade barely grazes his chest.

The Spectral Indian ignores his fellow's plight and takes another shot at JR. It goes wide.

--

Warden Cole FP:1

"Fetch is a fear-eating fae, you figure it out!" Cole growls, as the fetch dodges wildly and his sword hits nothing but air.

pre:
Name: Cole
Defenses: Athletics +3
Aspects: Veteran of the Vampire War. Come Hell or High Water.
Mental: () () () ()
Physical: (X) () (X)
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
pre:
 Physical: ()(X)(X) + ()(X)
 Mild 2: Kneecapped
 Moderate 4: 
 Severe 6:
Ghostly attacks Cole: +++/ +4 = 7, Weapon:1
Cole defends: +++ +3 = 7, takes 1 stress (Angel's singing)
Spectral attack JR: --+- +4 = 2, weapon:1
JR defends ++/+ +5 = 8, oh JR never stop being awesome.
Cole attacks Ghostly: ---/ +3 = 0. (tiny violin)
Ghostly defends: //+- +3 = 3, takes no damage.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Figure it out, poo poo. I'm just gonna kill it!" JR declares, as he proceeds to send another bullet at the ghostly figure whose wounded knee would make it difficult for the thing to dodge.

Guns -+// +5 = 5 +2 for invoking the consequence = 7 at Ghostly, with a Weapon:2.
pre:
Physical:	() (X) () ()

• Locked thread