Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2

When the phone rings, Mitsuo rolls off the futon and hits the ground in a crouch. He blinks quickly, once, twice, before straightening up and striding over to answer it.

"もしもし。Oh, yes, you probably should do that. I did a bit of scrying and got some... disturbing results. Caution is definitely in order. See you shortly."

Stripping off, he jumps in the tiny standing shower. Sixty-two seconds later he's ruffling his hair with a towel. A few quick passes with a straight razor, a splash of disturbingly bright blue aftershave from a tiny glass bottle, toothpaste and mouthwash and ready to go. He picks a suit from a small walk-in closet full of, well, a bunch of suits. And a few sets of workout clothes; you can't always wear a suit. He takes the tie in hand, glances thoughtfully in the mirror, then carefully folds it and stuffs it into a jacket pocket. Cole's silver pin follows the tie, hopefully muffled by the layers of fabric.

He nabs the grimoire and a soda on the way out. Hugues should have some answers about the book. Mitsuo toys with the idea of asking him to set a ward on the book and keep it hidden. In the end, he decides that keeping it around would both make it safer and provide an exercise in self-control. A part of the Eightfold Path: the exertion of effort to prevent one's descent into evil things. He smiles and downs half of the soda as he pulls into traffic. Just a taste of evil, that is all I can afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo holds his hands away from his body, palms toward Hugues. "This thing really has you on edge, ne? Um, ちょっと待って-" *

With a thought all of his muscles loosen and his posture slumps slightly, relaxed and ready for any quick movement. He steps across the threshold, just far enough for it to be obvious that he's done so. Once inside, he slowly sticks out his right arm. He uses the left to unbutton the cuff and pull it up, revealing the half-healed gouges Slimy gave him earlier.

"I really wish we had figured out where that drumming had come from first. It would have saved us all a lot of trouble."

There's a momentary temptation to play the "I know what you did to Steve" card but Mitsuo dismisses it with a flash of anger. He primly fixes the sleeve of his suit and stands at attention, waiting.

"Well, satisfied? Can we do this the right way now?"

* "chotto matte" = "wait a minute"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

The invitation makes Mitsuo's skin tingle as his power floods back. He draws the grimoire out from where he'd tucked it under his jacket, held in place by his belt. He sets it on the table next to the dictionary.

"Before we start, you should know..." and he describes the vision to Hugues, conveniently omitting the last bit about himself. No need to frighten the little guy by hinting that the book might already have Mitsuo in its grasp. He's tempted, yes, but he won't give in to it. The power comes at much too high a price.

"So. There is not much else to do except begin the translation, unless you have some other idea?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

With the translation work done Mitsuo and Hugues exchange looks. Then they both start to speak at once.

“Why don’t we-” “I think we should-”
(pause)
“You first.”
“No, go ahead.”
“Well, I thought we could bring up a demon – not THAT demon – just something we could ask about the name in the book.”
“Huh. I was going to suggest the same thing.”
Hugues grins. “Great minds. I’m pretty good with wards, we should double up on the containment just in case.”
Mitsuo nods. Both of them get to work.

Hugues draws the circle with a piece of chalk. His small hands make quick work of the intricate patterns, and his precise, rapid movements indicate years of practice. Once the outline is done he roots around in the kitchen and comes back with a small pack of rosemary, which he sprinkles in one of the outer rings. “They absolutely loathe this stuff,” he explains as he cleans his hands. Mitsuo looks over the circle, takes the chalk from Hugues and adds a few flourishes and a kanji inscription around the outer ring.

With the physical side of things done, the two sit on opposite sides of the circle. Hugues is cross-legged, Mitsuo sits on his calves. They close their eyes and concentrate. When their minds are blank, they both call up power from within. Mitsuo holds his out for his partner; Hugues grasps the offered energy and channels it into the circle. The chalk begins to glow, faintly blue at first, then brighter and brighter. Finally it settles to a soft luminescence. Hugues grins. “Well, that part’s done.”

Mitsuo stands up. “Now for the harder part. I know a few-” “Hold on. I’ve got one over here.” Hugues scuttles over to a bookshelf, pulls out an ancient volume and leafs through the pages until he finds his mark. “Here.” Handing over the book, he points out a large, heavily illuminated word – MURRAZONOTH. Mitsuo chuckles softly. “You are full of surprises, my little friend.”

They repeat their dance from earlier. Hugues comes up with a small charm inscribed with the emblem of a mouse. “Demon bait,” he explains as he sets it outside the circle. Mitsuo reaches up and pulls out a few strands of his hair, setting them on top of the mouse-charm. They take up positions on either side of the circle, standing this time. With the book held open in one hand, Mitsuo chants loudly, rising and falling tones causing the circle to pulse in time with his cadence.

Hugues’ Lore +4 for True Name “Murrazonoth”

Containment circle: Hugues’ Lore +5 to cast, Hugues’ Resources +3 for Rosemary, Hugues’ Lore +5 for Circle-craft, Mitsuo’s Lore +4 for Circle-craft, Hugues’ Discipline +3 for Zen, Mitsuo’s Discipline +3 for Zen
Lore +5 and 5 Maneuvers for a total of 15 Complexity
Rolls are here, completed successfully.

Summon: Mitsuo’s Lore +3 to cast, Hugues’ Discipline +3 for Zen, Hugues’ Resources +4 for Demon-Bait, Mitsuo’s Lore +3 for Demonology, Mitsuo’s Discipline +8 for Zen
Lore +3 and 4 Maneuvers for a total of 11 Complexity
Rolls are here, completed successfully.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1

”よろしくね。僕が言うようにあなたが行うんだ。" *

Sparing a quick look at Hugues, he reaches over to pick up the grimoire. "We need some information. There is a name." He checks the back of the book. "Mel'Karshok. Please tell us what you know about the owner of that name. Start with what you know to be true, then you may move on to rumour and speculation - and be sure to tell us when you do so."

* "Yoroshiku ne. Boku-ga iu you ni anata-ga okonaunda." / "Nice to meet you. You'll do what I say." (stated as fact, cocky to the point of rudeness)

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo frowns slightly. "When you said 'the phages,' what did you mean? Are you referring to the phobophages specifically or to some other entities? And there was another thing..." He looks down at the grimoire briefly, casting his thoughts back over the last few days.

"Ah, yes. The eyes. There was a human found dead, with one eye cleanly removed. This grimoire was supposed to hold information about eye-snatchers. Does Mel'K- ah, Mel have some desire for eyes? And what do you know about entities who would want to steal eyes?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

*sigh* "Riddles already? I hoped you would be more original than that. Regardless, how involved are you with these... phages? A, ahem, person in your position could be valuable to them. And after that, please tell us about the last time you were summoned - who summoned you, where and when, who else was present, what they asked and what you told them." Mitsuo grins wickedly. "Assuming, of course, that speaking these things won't cause you to spontaneously combust. Either way, though, you will tell us."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo's a bit confused. There's definitely something going on here.

"Continue."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo snaps out of his reverie, pulling away from Hugues and his awe at this grand revelation. "Uh. Well. Your offer is... interesting, tempting, but I am afraid we must decline. Your presence would complicate things greatly. There is one more question I must ask, then we can think about sending you home. What can we do to prevent this 'fate of Gomorrah?'" He looks sidelong at Hugues again in wonder, then turns back to Murray, awaiting an answer.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 0
Hugues - FP: 1 -> 0

Mitsuo hisses at the feline figure. "drat you, cat. drat you for being amused at this. We will send you back, but not before you hear this: You will not speak of this. You will not think of this. You were not summoned, you did not speak to anyone, you will reveal nothing to anyone."

The two busy themselves again, preparing a new ritual. Hugues looks through his shelves and bookcases, producing a small silver bell. He removes the clapper and sets it down near the circle. From the kitchen he grabs another pinch of rosemary. Sitting, he closes his eyes and begins to meditate. Mitsuo does the same, putting down his books and kneeling. After a few breaths he raises his hands and runs through a series of mudras. The last one is simple - two fingers extended, the rest curled under his palm - and placed directly in front of his mouth. Finally the two release their power. Hugues picks up and "rings" the silent bell, casting the rosemary as he does so. Mitsuo mouths a short command without speaking it. The air thickens in the room as the spell settles onto Murray.

Mitsuo's Lore +3, Hugues' "Protector of the Small," Hugues' Resources, Hugues' Lore, Hugues' Discipline, Mitsuo's "Kingdom of Shadows," Mitsuo's Discipline.
17 Complexity for a super-maneuver adding sticky aspect "Let Us Never Speak of This Again" for at least a month. Controlling power 1 shift at a time which makes it impossible to fail.

"去って。戻りしていけない。 Go away and do not return."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 0
Hugues - FP: 0

Hugues takes a moment to calm down once the demon is gone. He doesn't say anything for a full minute before letting out a long sigh. "So. We both seemed to learn a lot from this, the demon issue the least of our concerns. I learned to never summon a demon you summoned before in front of someone who doesn't know your past. What did you learn Mitsuo?"

Mitsuo looks Hugues up and down. "Many things. Two of particular import. One, that you are a magical construct, the shade of a dead man. And two, you are, or were, a Warden."

"The first is only true from a certain point of view. I prefer the term clone to magical construct. When I fought the disciples of Kemmler back in World War II, I stumbled on a ritual to transfer my soul to a different body instead of properly dying. The part I received from this demon was getting the body instead of stealing someone else's." Mitsuo's stare doesn't lessen, which doesn't surprise Hugues. "That's not what bothers you though, is it?"

With a small shrug, Mitsuo replies, "It is quite disturbing, but I must admit that the other thing worries me more immediately. Especially since I could see myself acting in much the same way during the war, had I not been embroiled in a culture that glorified the fall of the cherry blossom. But let us start here: are you a Warden of the White Council?"

"I'm fairly certain that the White Council revoked my Warden status when I technically died. So, no. But I was, and I still see myself like one," Hugues says simply. "But...I'm also a Lawbreaker. That's why I helped you instead of killing you and that warlock a while back. I'm... not fully sure what I am anymore..."

"We are always in flux. Life is a process, not a state. Even a year ago I would have run screaming from a Warden, as I have done for so many years, but now I find myself consorting with two Wardens. And you... you are a Lawbreaker, and a sympathetic man. You seem quicker to aid others than to judge them. Certainly the Council would be even less pleased with you than they would be with me. It appears that circumstances wish to force us together." A hard smile appears on Mitsuo's face. "Two Wardens, and both of them fools. But I like the foolish ones better."

After a moment of thought, Mitsuo takes a step towards Hugues and, in a radical break from his usual aloofness, puts his hands gently on the boy-man's shoulders. "I do not think you need to label yourself. Others will label you so they can understand you, to break down your complex nature into simple pieces they can grasp. You should revel in the complexity of your self."

Hugues lets out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me. Just...do me a favor--favor, and not what the hell we just did to that demon--and don't mention this to anyone. A few people already know, but right now it's probably safer to just not say to anyone, especially Cole. Someone else might overhear at the worst time. Best avoid fatal accidents."

Then Hugues walks over to the book Mitsuo brought over. "As for what to do with this... well, I don't think either of us should hold on to it, it's too tempting and dangerous. But right now we might need it with the current situation so we can't destroy this book right away. However... I have more faith in my Wards than you, and it'll probably be obvious if I start throwing around this much power when I can hardly throw around any on my own. So with your permission, I'd like to watch the book until we stop the Wrath of the Lord. Then we'll figure out what to do with it, if we're still alive then."

"Always in flux. An hour ago I would have refused outright. Now, I agree completely. Bind it as tightly as you can. Oh, and there was one other thing- where is your fridge? I would love a cold drink."

Hugues points out a slightly rusty fridge around the corner. Mitsuo pops it open. Rather than reach inside, though, he pulls the sword-pin out of his pocket. He holds it up for Hugues to see. Once he has Hugues' attention, he moves broadly to put the pin in the fridge. Looking back up, he points at the pin, motioning for Hugues to do the same. Hugues raised an eyebrow at first, but did the same with the pin, placing it in the fridge.

Mitsuo takes Hugues by the shoulder and leads him across the room. "Sorry for the charades. Most soundproof thing I could think of. This may be overly paranoid, but we have no idea what these pins do aside from summoning Cole. They may be surveillance devices of some kind. Would you take some time to analyze yours when we are not otherwise busy? I would prefer that Cole or the Council not be listening to the things we say and do. Demon summoning is the least of our transgressions."

Hugues pauses for a long moment, his eyes widening. Everything that Mitsuo heard from the demon, everything he just told Mitsuo, hell everything with Jenny. Cole could know? He raises his arms about to scream at Mitsuo like an angry child, but then holds back and starts pacing in thought. "Why didn't you mention this before...all of this?"

"Well, honestly it slipped my mind. But! Hear me out!" Mitsuo raises his hands to fend off the wrath of a wizard and a childish tantrum all at once. "I did not think of it before today, when I was talking to Ada. Reading the grimoire led naturally into getting information from Murray, no problem there, no laws broken although the Council would not give us a medal for it. I obviously had no idea the demon would expose you this way. But, will he, nil he, the Council or any hypothetical listener cannot act on that information without revealing their surveillance and thus rendering it useless. As they say, the devil you know is better than the devil you do not. Still, I hope I am just being foolish. But we will be more careful in the future."

"I hope to God you're right. I... Ugh." He puts a finger to his mouth and shooshes Mitsuo before going back to the fridge and grabbing a cold Sprite, and places it on his head before walking back. "I don't know about you but all of this is giving me a headache. So, let's call it for the night, I'll figure out what's up with the pins later on. I'll have the info back to you by tomorrow."

Exhausted, the two shake hands and take their leave, a much friendlier occasion than their meeting a few hours ago. Mitsuo nearly collapses into the driver's seat. Once home he cracks a soda, turns on the radio, and lets the events of the day wash away.

e: re-acquired pin before leaving

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at Mar 29, 2012 around 15:31

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"We have two immediate options," Mitsuo stated as he claimed an overstuffed armchair for himself. "If anyone has a guess at where we can get more information, we can try and get ahead of this. We would have to find a link between the necromancer and the Wrath - assuming there is one - track down the source of the threat and shut it down before the Wrath is brought down on the city.

"Or, we set up the best web of surveillance and recon that we can. A supernatural stake-out, if you will. We make sure that we are ready to act on a moment's notice to pinpoint and neutralize any threat, pick up any possible leads, and move on the bad guys while they are over-extended.

"So the first question then is, does anyone see a way to act first? Some bit of information or another person who might be connected to the threat?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo nods his approval. "Then why don't we combine our two options? We can follow up on JR's musicians ourselves, check out as many of the shows as we can, see what turns up. Special emphasis on the gospel singer... Brady." He jabs a finger at the paper in JR's hand.

"On top of that, though, we make the local Domino's very rich, hire a gang of pixies to canvas the whole city, put out some magical feelers, and definitely make sure there's at least one on each of these musicians when we're not around. If anything weird happens, they go flying right to Hugues, and we make sure Hugues can get word to us at all times." Completely deadpan, he turns to Roy who's hanging out in the next room, dusting an expensive-looking side table. "Roy, are you any good at tossing dough?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"It sounds like we have a plan. We hire our pixie army, set some on the musicians, and use the rest to canvas the city as best we can. Check out the shows ourselves. I am confident that I can find my way backstage if necessary, legitimately or otherwise. As for Cole... well, he does not need to know most of this. We should give him just enough to lead us naturally to the musicians. When we track down their assailant, the rest should become apparent to him. I suggest we tell him that Steve woke up briefly, spoke our riddle, and fell comatose again. Any better ideas?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 3 -> 2

Self compel on Dashing Forward.

JR and Hugues storm out the door. Mitsuo unclenches for a moment - just long enough to come to some sort of decision. "Ladies, I am sorry for this; we meant no harm. I need to make JR see that. We will catch up later." That said, he exits the room at a flat-out run.

The cab is just pulling out the massive driveway as Mitsuo slams open the Subaru's door. He prays with all his heart, holding in his gift as much as he can, that the engine won't pick now to crap out. After a good three-second heart-stopping grind, it catches. Mitsuo almost stalls it out by furiously throwing it into first. He hits 40 on the driveway, makes the corner...

Alertness +3, Foreign Correspondent +2, --// = +3 result.

... and sees the cab's trunk disappear on a side street. He takes that corner just to be safe, spots the cab a few blocks ahead, then falls back a bit. No sense getting too close; JR wasn't the most sharp-eyed man, but drat would things end badly if he got careless. Like that time in Dusseldorf. Mitsuo fingers a barely-visible scar on his wrist.

Many twists and turns later, JR's cab pulls up to the curb and he exits at his unholy superhuman sprint. Mitsuo watches with admiration as he- wait, is that Cole running the other way? The two figures vanish into an alley. By the time the Subaru's parked the alley mouth is aglow with eldritch light. As he enters, a rift or portal of some kind closes in front of him. The place is flooded with energy, light and dark and everything in between. Mitsuo sighs. Having come this far, there's only one thing to do. He pulls a steel-hilted knife and kneels to scratch on the asphalt with the pommel.

Banging open the portal. Complexity 3 which with Lore 3 Mitsuo can do in about 10 seconds. Taking all 3 points on one Disc roll with +5 -//+ = +5 and success.

The light rekindles, much more purple than blue this time around. Reality shreds in front of Mitsuo. He's through even before it finishes forming.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Well, this is not what I expected.

Mitsuo takes a moment to ponder dropping into Tolkien's nightmares. Then he surveys the Ent he's apparently riding. It's big. Really big. Big enough that a plain steel knife won't do much of anything, and the belt's binding spell is far too weak to help. He leans off the branch he's sitting on, scanning the trunk for- yes! Eyes. Big, hoary, lichen-encrusted eyes. Mitsuo grips tight with his knees to free up his hands. His gloved fingers weave through an intricate series of positions, finally coming up to point at the Ent's eyes.

Casting Blind on the Ent, it's a rote so no control needed. Aiming with Discipline +5 -//+ = +5 result. Big blind tree incoming!

pre:
Defenses:  Weapons +4
Aspects:  Dashing Forward, Cause For Alarm, In From the Cold, Kingdom of Shadows
Stunts:  nah brah

Phys:  ( ) ( ) ( )
Ment:  (x) ( ) ( ) ( )
Soc:   ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: (Ripped Up), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	(), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	()

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2012 around 23:04

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo takes the hand and hops up. "Not with, just on. I followed your portal and it dumped me up there."

He turns to see JR blow a branch off with his hand cannon. That's going to be a tough act to follow. He pulls his knife, suddenly feeling somehow inadequate. Weak spot? No heart, bark everywhere... that just leaves the eyes again. As the Ent blunders into the group, Mitsuo snags a branch and hauls himself up, plunging his steel blade into the Ent's blind right eye.

Weapons +4, Blind +2, JR's consequence +2, /+++ = for 11 and Weapon:1 makes 12.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo skirts a few branches, heading around the Ent's body towards JR and Cole. When he spots JR reloading his revolver, though, he decides prudence is a good idea. He ducks behind one of the larger branches in an attempt to stay out JR's line of sight.

Stealth +2 --/+ = +1 result. Eh.

"Hoping to talk to you, cowboy. Nothing more than that, so why don't you put the gun away?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"I see no sense in letting it fester." Mitsuo slides out from behind the tree. "Please forgive me being long-winded for a moment, but I feel I should explain my self to you, at least in part.

"I know you disagree with me. This is understandable, and your right. Whether what I did reflects on me as a person, I am not sure. We could debate that for days. That is not the point I think you should hear.

"But, we find ourselves in a dangerous situation. We agree that something must be done and that we should be doing it. When I was in the war, I knew many men that I disliked. Hated. Loathed, occasionally. There were fistfights and arguments and on one occasion both the other man and I ended up in hospital for a week. Even so, I knew that the moment we found ourselves in combat, he would put his life on the line to save me. On that basis of shared responsibility we worked together without hesitation.

"This city needs you. The others need you. Cole needs you, and I need you. And I believe we can work together so long as I know you will not shoot me when my back is turned. I have not seen enough of you to say whether you would. That is what I followed you here to learn.

Mitsuo takes another few steps forward and bows deeply. "I respect you, JR, and so long as we are working together you have nothing to fear from me. I even hope we can be partners, perhaps friends, when this is done. Please... say your piece."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo sighs. No one in this gods-forsaken country has any hint of patience. And that impetuous cowboy may be more trouble than expected. Still, he follows Cole and JR through the rift silently.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 1

As the group proceeds inside, Mitsuo edges his way up to Andy. "Mister Nazarene. I am Tsukada Mitsuo, please call me Mitsuo. どうぜよろしくお願いします。* To get to the point, I would like some more information about the artifact. I have some skill in thaumaturgy and may be able to help you locate it and hopefully your niece as well. Especially if you have a link of some sort that could focus a divination."

* Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu. One of those phrases that doesn't translate at all but is used like "pleased to meet you" or "I hope we get along well."

Presence +1, Foreign Correspondent +2, --++ = +3 result to impress Nazarene as the worldly no-nonsense man that I am.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo is completely thrown by Nazarene's words. "I... I'm sorry, Nazarene-san. Gomen nasai. As soon as we're done here, my friends and I will try to find her." He pockets the toy brush for now.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

At any other time, Mitsuo would probably sigh very pointedly at Jenny, but he's still off balance from his chat with Nazarene. He remains completely blank. "It was a joint decision. You of all people know that he is not just a child. But it is done and we have other issues."

He brushes past Jenny to find a relatively rubble-free spot on the ground, away from the eyes of passers-by. Kneeling, he sketches a twisted glyph on the ground with the pommel of his knife. Halfway through he flubs a line. Attempting to repair it, he accidentally cuts another line, then another. On the fifth try he wigs out and kicks the whole thing into a cloud of dust and ash. He stands motionless in the cloud, breathing gently. Eventually he closes his eyes and kneels in the grime. A few seconds later, he speaks. "Ready. I will lend you some power."

Botched Lore, successful Discipline for +2 complexity.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Though he's taken the ride in silence, quietly thinking and generally making himself unobtrusive, Mitsuo chimes in. "Well, let us be logical for a moment. Demons are even more magical creatures than we are so it seems we should put the docks aside for the moment. The water would make them very uncomfortable. And she would be somewhere out of the way, so... perhaps we should start in the offices? A locked room, or a basement? Before we move on to looking in the hold of several hundred boats, that is." Without waiting for confirmation he sets off in the direction of the marina's main building.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 3

Self compel on Dashing Forward to abandon subtlety entirely.

Mitsuo mutters angrily, just loud enough for Cole to pick up. "Ghouls. Demons. Wardens. And now, slackers. I do not have time for this." He takes a step back, dropping to a quick three-point stance, then lunging forward with his shoulder over the knob. It slams against the inside wall as he stumbles into the next room.

Athletics +2 -/++ = +3 result. Door defeated! You gain 15 XP! You gain 30 Gil!

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 3

"We can talk while we search, then. Our summoning yielded some information, the thrust of which was that someone is attempting to force the 'wrath of God' onto the city. They would need a hand, eye, ear, and tongue from faithful people, some of which we presume they already have. And it seemed... amused by the situation." Mitsuo pushes his way into the back office and starts rooting through the desk. He's hoping for keys - to a boat, a storage area, anything.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Well holy crap, looks like we found everything at once.

With a frown, Mitsuo asks, "Raith? The White vampire? I should not be surprised to find them in a place like this, but it seems too neat of a connection. This situation gets stranger and stranger." Looking down at the coffee cup in his hand, he notices something.

"Hey. Cole. Come take a look at this." Mitsuo shuffles the carpet away from the tile with the toe of his shoe. Wet metal glistens underneath. He kneels and does his best to mop up the extra coffee with the corner of the carpet. "I doubt this is what we are looking for, but there is certainly more here than meets the eye. Open sesame..." Mitsuo grasps the metal handle and pulls.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo glowers at the hole in the floor, the coffee-stain spreading up his cuffs, and life in general. "The Raiths, in my understanding, are rarely reliable or predictable. It seems likely they are being hired or compensated to play some part in the scheme, whether they are aware of it or not. And this... Maybe this is what we are searching for after all. Follow me." He sticks his feet into the hole. Once he's on the ladder, he spares a hand for a quick gesture. A tiny ball of bluish light winks into being, bobbing around Mitsuo's head. Satisfied, he starts to descend.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo looks back at Cole. "Any opinion on which path to take?"

(Cole shakes his head.)

Shrugging, he says, "One is as good as the other, I suppose." Mitsuo produces a coin from his jacket pocket, flicks it into the air, and shows it to Cole on the back of his hand. Heads. "Left it is." He pockets the coin and strikes out on the left path.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo nods. "I agree. Though, I wonder..." He steps over to the rack and fingers one of the jumpsuits. "Why the slime-trail from the pool to here, and not away? Could something be transforming or disguising itself at this point?" He stares at the suit for a long moment... then closes his fist and tears one of the suits off the wall. He turns and throws it at Cole's feet. "Take a look at this. See what you can See," he says angrily, moving to look into the magic pool.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo removes and pockets his tie. "Fine. The thought of a Cthulhian monstrosity using an enchanted overall for a disguise was unsettling. Some of us do not have the luxury of your perfect Sight." Producing a bit of chalk he starts marking out swirling, bulbous runes on the floor. He finishes the glyph with a kanji character meaning "man," inside three concentric rings.

The chalk goes back into a pocket and Mitsuo kneels to touch his handiwork. He breathes slowly, alternately tensing and relaxing muscles throughout his body. The pattern of a familiar meditation starts to form in his mind. Suddenly - very suddenly - everything falls away and the mental pattern locks into place, solid as steel. All of the anger, frustration, guilt, and pain of the last few days surges out of him at once. The spell is practically casting itself at this point. Mitsuo just keeps his mind on track, watching as the hydrogen and oxygen atoms around him recombine in new and exciting ways.

Complexity 12 for a bubble-over-mouth water breathing spell, with the added benefit of making our clothes hydrophobic so our pocket contents stay dry and we won't be soaked when we get out.
Lore 3, Lore for "Water Whizzard" +2, Discipline for "Zen Mind" and using the extra 6 spin as 2 more maneuvers for a total +6, Conviction for "Channeled Anger" +2 gives us 13 of 12.

Lore maneuver //++ = 5
Disc maneuver ++++ = 9 (god dammit foxxbot)
Conv maneuver --/+ = 4

Controlling 3 shifts per roll with Disc +5. 0, -2, -1, then -3 and I invoke In From the Cold to make it -1.

Finished, he stands slowly and presses a hand through the air barrier into the water. Removing it, he displays it to Cole, completely dry. "Ready to go?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"Cole? Cole! Oh, hell!" Mitsuo bounces on the balls of his feet, then dives into the well, arching his back to enter cleanly. A good dive might earn him enough extra speed to catch up with Cole quickly.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Okay, self, remember your diving lessons. Don't freak out. Stay calm, continue breathing normally, stab a giant crab-monster.

Mitsuo takes a deep breath and slides the knife out of its hidden cache. A powerful kick brings him down to Cole's level. He dodges around the swinging claw (and Cole) and endeavours to put the knife between plates of chitin.

Weapons +4, ---/ = +1. Go to hell foxxbot, I'm hitting "Dashing Forward" and my aquatic assault training to re-roll. That gives me //++ +4 = +6 stabbing points with Weapon:1.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 (missed that last time)

"Come on, Cole, get out of there! This big-" stab "-dumb-" stab "-beast-" stab "-cannot be a match for you!"

Weapons +4, tag on Skewered +2, --/+ = +5 at Weapon:1 for another consequence.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"Well, that is impressive," says Mitsuo as he stares at the shiny thing. He picks his way through cat-tails and kelp beds. Stopping well short of the altar, he admires it for a few long moments before turning back to Cole.

"How is your leg? Will you be able to make it back?" A thought strikes him. "Oh. I REALLY hope that our ferry works both ways. Swimming back would be... unpleasant." Even while talking to Cole, he keeps glancing at the chalice. His expression is professionally blank, but it's hard to disguise that level of curiosity.

Well, envy.

Okay, it's greed. You happy now?

Lore check on the thing. Lore +3 //++ = +5.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo scowls. "In our situation, can we really afford to pass up such a chance? Our enemies have proven themselves to be very formidable. We need all of the help, all of the power, that we can gather." He looks over the altar and environs again, looking for any hints of traps or wards. Nothing presents itself. Frustrated, he turns back to the Warden.

"We need this. I know you may not agree with my methods, but we have the same purpose. Please give me whatever help you can." He turns back to the knife and chalice, mentally readying himself for the snatch, but waiting for Cole's opinion.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 3

Self compels on Cause for Alarm and Dashing Forward. We need every available tool to get things done. Also, it's shiny!

Mitsuo nods curtly. "Justice is your department, Warden. Ends are mine." He stares at the chalice, flexing his fingers. Stepping closer, he sinks into a martial stance.

"There is definitely a trap here. But when I was in the army, I learned to appreciate traps. Knowing that there is a trap is an advantage, a way to beat the trap and its maker. You know that there will be something. You do not know what form it will take. Knowing that you do not know, that is the first step towards wisdom. So we must become aware of everything, ready to move in any direction, moving with the flow of life. Floating as a leaf in the wind. Or perhaps on the water, in our case." Mitsuo's eyes twinkle. His breathing slows, and all of his muscles still themselves. He looks strangely peaceful, given the circumstances. "There is no higher art. No better way to learn your enemy, or yourself. Have your portal ready, we are about to poke the crab."

Quickly, he reaches out to take the chalice in one hand, the knife in the other. (Assuming he can pick them up) He tucks the chalice into his coat, securing it as best he can. He draws his own knife. Turning to Cole, both blades raised, he signals for the portal to be opened, all the while scanning in every direction for incoming threats.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 3 -> 2

Mitsuo steps back, closer to Cole. Dozens of scenarios run through his head. He decides the best way to start is to play it cool, until an opening presents itself or he runs out of time to think. He pockets his own knife to pick up the sword. Then he moves away, holding it gingerly, as if he's worried Cole will snatch it back.

"Lady, can you control him? If he breaks out, he will be very angry with me." Mitsuo looks around the island, letting his fear show in his eyes. He tries to spot any weakness in the island's magic.

Deceit +2 -/++ = +3 result to act the fearful and anxious n00b.
Lore +3, Kingdom of Shadows +2, --/+ = +4 result to survey the summoning circle and environs.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 0

Mitsuo steps forward shakily, placing himself between Cole and the woman (ish thing). Leaning in towards Cole, he takes hold of his wrist and pulls his arm up. Cole stares blankly past Mitsuo. He's wrapped up in his own battle and barely hanging on. Mitsuo raises the sword. Moving his mouth to within inches of Cole's face, he speaks softly, hopefully enough for only Cole to hear.

"Be ready."

With the sword held horizontally over Cole's upturned forearm, Mitsuo gathers his will. He blinks slowly to collect his thoughts. Then he snaps the sword upward, over Cole's head, and down to point at the seam in the circle. Pouring all of his power into the blade and out through its point, he rages at the circle's weakest point. He can feel the Warden's sword cooperating, amplifying his magic and adding some of its own.

Summoning 6 shifts of power (2 over Conviction 4) and getting 4 from the sword with 1 FP. Discipline +5 to control, ---- =
Let's reroll that poo poo! Using "Cause for Alarm" to attempt to not die, Disc +5 -+++ = +7 which is good enough!

Mental ( ) ( ) (X) ( )

As the sword's magic melds with his, Mitsuo feels the Warden's sword rebelling against the taint of the Black in his own. Suddenly panicked, he nearly drops the blade. He feeds the surge of fear into the spell. It's enough to override the Warden-magic and blast it all out at the circle.

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2012 around 02:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: nope

Awestruck, Mitsuo nearly forgets to bring the sword up in time to deflect the beast's attack. It comes between him and her as they tumble to the ground. Her claws hang up on the silver edge as she tries to rip at Mitsuo's jacket. He shoves as hard as he can, buying a few precious inches, enough for him to squeeze out and regain his feet.

"Cole! Let's go!" He breaks into a run and hits the portal at full speed.

Defending with Weapons +4 /+++ = +7 result. Mitsuo remains unhurt

Athletics to get as far and fast as possible. Ath +3 ///+ = +4 result.

• Locked thread