Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: wuzzat

Mitsuo reverses the sword and offers Cole the hilt. "I must be a better actor than I thought. No time to explain, had to act quickly." He pauses for a moment, cocking his head. "I am very glad she did not get you up on that slab. Now... if this is another being's domain... whose is it? More to the point, do you think that boat is safe?" He considers the boat. While he's thinking, he stows the newly acquired knife, making sure that it and the grail are as secure as they can be. He draws his own knife and holds it at his side while he waits for his ride.

Lore +3 --++ = +3 to figure out where we at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: bluh

Mitsuo stares blankly at the broken half-blade in his hand. How... uh... really? How the hell does that even happen? Did he put too much power through the sword, or... huh. He wonders if Warden swords really don't mesh with Lawbreaker powers.

When Cole speaks, it takes him a good two seconds to realize he's supposed to respond. "Mmm? Oh, erm, yes. I think so." He digs into a pocket and produces a quarter, two dimes, a fifty-yen piece, and a ten Euro cent coin.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 0

Mitsuo laughs along with Cole, letting all the fear and tension roll out and blow away with the wind. "Is it too early to wonder what would have been if we went right at the fork? If instead of giant crabs, Hellenic dominatrices, and the black ferry, we might have had cake with pixies?" Another dry chuckle as Mitsuo pushes himself up, using the dumpster for balance.

"Listen... what I said before about JR, it went the same for you. I had little reason to trust you." He pauses. "We just went through Hades itself together. You stayed with me even after making it clear how foolish you thought I was." He offers his hand to help Cole up. "I am sure you think it is your job, to protect foolish sorcerors from themselves and the things from beyond the veil, but that sets you apart from all of the Wardens that work only to preserve the Accords and the balance of power. I am glad to have you at my back... Danny." Mitsuo grins wickedly as he drags Cole to his feet.

After a moment, his face falls. He pulls the broken blade of Cole's sword out from the lining of his jacket, handing it back to Cole. "For this... I am sorry. I have no idea how this happened. If it can be repaired... Tell me if I can help fix this, in any way."

After exchanging goodbyes Mitsuo flags down a cab, headed back to the marina for his own car. Eventually he finds himself back at Forward Thinking. He sprawls on the futon without even removing his shoes, dead to the world for ten minutes or so. Upon arising he strips down and throws himself in the shower. Finally, clean and refreshed, he sits at the table in the living room, soda in one hand, with the chalice and the knife in front of him. He considers them for a few moments while he sips his drink. Then he gets up and rummages through his books and supplies. For the better part of an hour he consults various references, performs small divinations, and sometimes just sits staring out the window, reaching back through his own memories.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

The knife is Weapon:2 and, when first drawing blood in each scene, gains the aspect "Sang Real."

The chalice is used for sacrifices to Hecate. Probably won't see much use... probably.

Mitsuo heads for the concert.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 0 -> 2

Mitsuo's hoopty pulls up to the curb a couple of blocks from the bar. Scanning the area, he sees handfuls of people headed for the main entrance. He takes a guess and ducks into an alley a few doors down. This one's a dead end, but the next one over loops behind two other buildings before passing behind Rattlesnake Jake's.

There are two back doors - one marked "STAGE" in big red spray-stenciled letters, the other unmarked and propped open, with bar-backs and cooks coming and going to toss things in the nearby dumpster. Mitsuo pulls back around the corner. Making sure everything is pocketed and tucked in, buttoning his jacket to minimize his size and sound, he waves a hand in a practiced pattern. To an outside observer, he would gradually seem to grow thinner and thinner until disappearing entirely. From Mitsuo's perspective, the world warps noticeably for a few seconds then settles into a slightly hazy normality, though everything seems as if it's simultaneously too close and too far away to focus on.

He rounds the corner, headed for the bar door. He times his entrance to follow a bar-back who's just tossed a case of glass bottles haphazardly into the trash. No respect for Mother Earth, Mitsuo thinks sardonically. Once inside he does his best to dodge workers and patrons. He works his way to the bathroom, where he can drop the spell and emerge into the crowd.

Vanish as a rote. Blocks Alertness +5 for 3 exchanges.
Mental (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) which should dissipate shortly.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2

Halfway to the bathroom, Mitsuo thinks better of his original plan. He hangs a right around the corner, working his way backstage. If there's a dressing room, or a musician's area, or whatever, better to check it out now. Might need to get around quick later on. He follows a likely-looking roadie, sticking close behind him as he goes through the relevant doors.

Staying invisible, taking more stress if necessary.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo sidles up to Jenny, close enough that he can speak without being overheard, but far enough that she won't smack him if she gets startled. He speaks softly and calmly.

"Jenny. Mitsuo. Do not look at me, I am veiled anyways. Just keep doing your thing and speak gently if you need to. There is something strange about this place, something etheric. A trick of memory. Almost like a glamour, but less aggressive, and very subtly done." He looks at the door briefly, pondering. "It might be connected to the man you were talking to. I do not like him and I cannot explain why."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"Sorry. There is really no good way to say 'hello I am invisible and right next to you, do not freak out.' But as I said, I cannot explain exactly what makes me feel uneasy about the man. He just has an aura about him, some kind of negative energy." He frowns invisibly. (If an invisible man frowns in the forest...) "I am not one to say 'I have a bad feeling about this,' but..."

From the main room shots ring out. Mitsuo nearly jumps out of his suit. "drat! That has to be JR. Stupid cowboy! You should check out what is happening, I will keep an eye on the managers!"

Mitsuo will do his best to watch as many of Dennis, Renee, and the new girl as possible. If that leads anywhere near the main room he'll peek out and see what the hell JR is doing, and whether the others need support.

e: speelign

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2012 around 19:14

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 1

Still drowsy from the spell, Mitsuo casts about for his targets. Dennis and Ruby aren't hard to find but Renee seems to have disappeared. Well... Dennis was the most important one to track... and Ruby was right in the middle of things with JR and the musician. Still... I hate loose ends. With a quick wave of his hands Mitsuo reactivates his veil and begins the hunt for Renee, dodging concert-goers and cops as they arrive.

Investigation 0 --/+ = -1. I'll invoke "Sorcerous Troubleshooter" to make it +1.

Mental (x) ( ) ( ) ( )
(reset while everyone was napping)

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1

Mitsuo walks up to check out the body. The others, Ruby and Dennis, are in this thing up to their necks. Whatever this thing is. Renee... well, now it's going to be hard to figure out what part she played, or if she was just a bar manager in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Investigation 0 -/++ = +1 to check out the body.

After a brief once-over on the hanging corpse, Mitsuo turns back to find the others. A few more sets of eyes ought to make things much clearer. He catches Hugues and Ada coming back into the club. Approaching, he speaks quietly into Hugues' ear.

"Hugues. Mitsuo. Found the body of one of the workers behind the band stage. Come and take a look."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 0 -> 1

Mitsuo makes his way out into the alley before letting his veil drop. Adjusting his tie, he saunters out into the street and back to the Subaru. The engine takes five tries to fire correctly. Maybe it's the residue of the veil, or the sleep spell, or something. Regardless, he trucks across town and back to Forward Thinking. On the way, he has a thought. His first action after getting home is to pick up the phone.

Contacts 0 ///+ and "Troubleshooter" for +2 = +3 to call a guy.

"Yes, is Karol there? Mitsuo Tsukada. Okay... *pause* Karol, my friend. How did things go in Laredo? *pause* Huh... sorry to hear that. The Zetas are tough bastards, for sure. Listen, I need some equipment. *pause* Body armor. Nothing huge, good for extended wear, some protection against sharps. *pause* Okay. Tomorrow morning? Say six? Okay. See you then."

Mitsuo thumbs the phone's cradle down, then lets it pop back up. He dials in Ada's number. "Ada, Mitsuo here. I hate to prevail upon your good fortune but after the last couple of scrapes we have gotten into, I find myself wanting a bit of protection. A colleague of mine has some armor set aside, do you think you could help with the cost? Obviously I will owe you a favour or two. Call me when you can."

Replacing the phone, he gambles on Ada's good nature and takes a trip to the corner market where he overdraws his bank account at their ATM and three others nearby (drat that $400 limit). He returns to Forward Thinking with pockets stuffed with cash.

TransientPeople got a -/++ +4 = +5 Resources. Mitsuo gets "Ada's Generosity" aspect, Ada gets a free compel on Mitsuo at some point. Also, refresh.

After a long hot bath and a decent night's sleep (for once), he's up at 5:30 AM and greets Karol at the door at 6. Karol is a forty-something Polish-American man, balding but well-built. They exchange pleasantries and a couple of war stories. Karol just came back from Texas where he'd been supplying a PMC group working to keep the Mexican Zetas drug cartel out of the US. Sounds like it didn't go as well as they hoped. Regardless, money changes hands, Karol says goodbye, and Mitsuo spends the next ten minutes admiring how nicely his new black plate-carrier shows off his shoulders.

After a leisurely breakfast he sets out for Cole's office, with the plate-carrier and his father's swords under a blanket in the back seat.

Armor:1 and an additional +1 versus Guns.

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2012 around 06:06

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo's eyes narrow. What a greeting! He ponders for a moment, then steps forward. "So long as it is confined to the stated timeframe, I accept." He reaches out to pick up the ring.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 2

"A cola if you have one, otherwise ice water. Thank you," Mitsuo says, gingerly touching the ring. He holds his hand up for inspection. No damage. The heat wasn't real. Emotional pain, then, or possibly nerve induction. He raises his voice to be heard as Cole heads for the kitchen. "I still must apologize for the fate of your sword. To... ah, borrow such an important tool and return it in an unusable condition is shameful." He stares blankly at the ring, thinking about the visions of his memories. Trying not to think about Cole's.

When Cole comes back from the kitchen, Mitsuo interposes himself between Cole and the chairs. He stands stiff as a board, hands at his sides with fingers pointed straight to the ground, eyes locked on Cole's. "Your sword was... is... more to you than a tool. Not only a symbol of office, but a focus of-" he narrowly avoids saying memories- "emotions which are to be treasured. I regret that it came to such misfortune while in my possession. 申し訳ありませんでした。*" He bends slowly at the waist until his upper body is parallel to the floor. With hands still stiffly extended, he remains there, waiting for Cole's reaction.

Yes, I feel compelled to work Dune references into everything I do, why do you ask?

* Moushiwake arimasen-deshita. A formal apology to authority or superiors.

Taking a self-compel on "Foreign Correspondent." This sort of disgraceful behaviour must be discharged through service. Mitsuo will be "Saving Face" by accepting a compel from Cole at a later date.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo straightens up with a wolfish grin. "I do not think that is a problem. With Wardens and military men, and a couple of veil experts, we could entrap Mara himself."

He takes the proferred soda, cracks it for a long pull, then starts to pace around the room. "First problem is location. You are right that churches are out - too much faith involved. A ruined church, or a new one, could work but present their own problems. I am sure the demons would love to catch him in transit somewhere, an easy lure to throw, but the logistics of defense become much more complicated, to say nothing of public involvement.

"So, a different location, isolated if possible, easily defensible, with magical resources. Easily accessible as well, so that we can do our groundwork." Mitsuo turns back to Cole and Hugues. "Two suggestions, then.

He clears his throat and says for Cole's edification, "I run a security consulting business on the east edge of the city, nearly into the marshes. I live above it much like yourself. The building is poured concrete, very solidly built, heavily reinforced. I know the floorplan and angles of ingress by heart. In terms of mundane defenses you could hardly ask for a better staging area. It is likely small enough to ward heavily. Even a demon would have a hard time getting through the walls or doors.

"The biggest problem that I see, though, is that any excuse we find for the Father to be there will be absolutely transparent. We will be starting a firefight. One that I believe we can win, given our considerable advantages, and one which the enemy will almost certainly walk into, given his nature. But still a costly one.

"The other candidate," and here he looks pained for a moment, "is Ada's family home. It is, unfortunately, the best mixture of isolation and feasibility for a true trap. The floorplan is large but we can pare down our defended area to a manageable size, and erect multiple layers of wards and traps. Its greatest advantage will be a threshold second only to that of the Father's own church."

Still looking vaguely uncomfortable, Mitsuo continues, "Beyond the obvious property destruction, we will have to contend with a much more mobile enemy. Our own placement options will probably leave us exposed to assault from multiple directions. There is the very real possibility that an attack in force would keep us pinned down long enough to steal the Father away. And, I fear, a second attack would not go nearly so easily as the first. Still, with proper placement and preparation, we would have overwhelming force at any one or two locations. 'In war, prize the quick victory, not the protracted engagement.'"

He stands pensive for a moment. A thought occurs to him and he turns to Cole again. "Do you have any idea of what is coming for us? Will it be more demons, black sorcerors, or something else entirely? A decision like this is very risky when made in the dark. 'He who knows neither the enemy nor himself, will be at risk in every battle.' Perhaps while we are here we could attempt to gain more information."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo nods curtly. "Tell them to have things ready for me. Lauden does not know me, better that he has some warning than that I show up and demand his toupee. Good luck with your forging." He exits gracefullly and warms up the 1000 for the trip across town.

Pulling into the church's parking lot, he cuts the engine. He reaches for the door handle and hesitates. Reluctantly, he draws out the obsidian knife and adds it to the cache in the back. He checks to be sure his own knife is accessible. No sense in going in completely unprepared.

Crossing through the carved doors of the building is like throwing himself face-first into a frozen lake. Through the chill, Mitsuo feels his powers drift out of reach. He takes a few steps into the hall and stands awkwardly in the aisle, looking around for Lauden or one of the other clergy.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Well. He did not see me at the club, or at least I must assume so. Maybe I will even learn something from him... Mitsuo slides into the pew beside Dennis.

"Excuse me. Sorry to interrupt. Have you seen the Father recently? And, uh... are you all right? If you need to talk to someone, I will listen."

Deceit to pretend to care! -//+ +2 = +2 result.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo looks uncomfortable. "Um. I have seen you somewhere... oh, at Jake's, was it not? You were working the floor. ... Dennis, is it?" He tries to mask his discomfort with concern, hoping this isn't some kind of act, that Dennis won't snap and go all Charlie Manson here in the church. "Do you think you should see a doctor? Memory loss could be serious."

Lore -/++ +3 = +4

Something clicks in Mitsuo's mind. Memories of long ago. Friends and soldiers who'd wandered into the middle of something magical and had their minds partly wiped by unscrupulous practitioners trying to cover their tracks. The "off" feeling, his blackouts, his loss of confidence, it all fits. What went on in that club?

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo

Mitsuo says gently to Dennis, "I think this is the best place for you right now. I will check in again before I leave." Rising, he walks toward Lauden.

"Father Lauden, I am a friend of Mr. Cole's. He should have told you to expect me. My name is Mitsuo. Shall we talk in the back?" Lauden nods curtly and leads Mitsuo into the rectory.

"So, Father, how much did Cole tell you?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo

Mitsuo is nonplussed. "As you will. I seem to make few friends these days. Regardless, we intend to draw out our common enemy, to keep him off balance long enough to beat them back. At the moment... what they want is you." He pauses for a moment to let that sink in. "You will be safer here in the church than anywhere else. We will give you what support we can... come to think of it, we will ask Mister Nazarene to stay with you. But, we will be drawing attention away from the church with a sort of facsimile of you. To that end, we need a handful of things as links to you." Mitsuo pulls out a hastily jotted note and a small glass bottle.

"Ah... these are not set in stone, but were my first thoughts." He reads off from the grocery list. "A lock of hair, one of your spare white collars, a set of rosary beads you have used, a stole you have worn at mass, a letter or essay you have written. I will ask you to chant a psalm," and here he brandishes the bottle. "And last on the list... a communion wafer." Mitsuo holds up both hands in a placating gesture, to head off any outburst. "It need not be consecrated. Just the form and flavor is enough."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo

Mitsuo corks the bottle and pockets it. "Ah, one more thing before I go. The man outside, in the hall? His name is Dennis. I fear his mind has been affected by mystical forces - whether our current enemy, or another, I am not sure, though I lean towards the latter. He expressed a desire to stay here. It might be best if you could find a place for him. Though far away from yourself," he admonishes, "to prevent our trap from being circumvented. Thank you." He turns on his heel and leaves.

On his way out he ducks into the pew next to Dennis. "I put in a good word for you with the priests. He will be leaving soon, but he may find somewhere for you to stay here. Best of luck." With that done, he sets out for Cole's office.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Rolling up to Cole's office, Mitsuo raps on the door. He's greeted by a very serious-looking and slightly out of breath Hugues.

"... Really? Something only I would know? A little melodramatic." Mitsuo sighs lightly. Then he leans in to speak only for Hugues. "Questioning the taichou's authority is grounds for a court martial. Given the circumstances, though, I am inclined to be lenient."

He straightens up and talks a little louder. "I have our groceries, and I took the liberty of stopping for some of my own." He produces a small grocery bag with Lauden's things, and a six-pack of Mountain Dew. "These could use some ice. May I come in?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo

"Right. First things first." He beelines for Cole's kitchen, filling an oversized mug with Dew and ice. After a long pull he starts to root through the bag of the priest's donations. "Hugues - I assume you will be our brewer - keep this straight.

"For sight, we have a priest's white collar, heavily starched. For hearing," out comes the glass bottle, "Lauden's interpretation of the twenty-seventh psalm. For touch, a set of his rosary beads. For taste, a communion wafer. Prepared but not consecrated, of course. For smell, a lock of the Father's hair. For the mind, a letter in his own hand." Mitsuo pauses for a moment to look at the letter. "Huh. I did not think to see what he wrote. Well, we shall find out shortly. Last, for the heart, a silk stole worn by the Father at mass. That should cover all of our bases.

"Also, I had a thought on the way here," he says as he reassembles the bag. "It could help if we were all to pray for our success. If nothing else it will lend the distinctive feel of faith-power to the aura of our disguise."

He looks up from his soda and supplies for the first time. "Oh! Jenny. Shitsurei shimashita, I did not realize you were here. Very glad that you could join us. Have these gentlemen shared with you our plan?"

Big stack of stuff should give Hugues "Priestly Accoutrements" for his casting. Discipline +5 --// = +3 for "Power of Prayer."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 1

Mitsuo's mind shifts into overdrive as soon as the demon's voice changes. While it's dealing with Jenny and JR, Mitsuo shrugs the obsidian knife out of its pocket and slips to the side, hopefully out of the creature's peripheral vision. Moving fluidly to avoid drawing attention to himself he flanks outside. When Cole says "surrounded on all sides" he sinks into a kenpo stance, deliberately scuffing his front foot as it inches forward. The sound punctuates Cole's threat quite effectively.

Stealth +2, +2 from Life on the Edge, -//+ = +4 support maneuver to apply "Outflanked."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"Well," says Mitsuo, still in crisis mode. "It seems there is not much we can do to help at this point. Or rather, what little we can do could be done from anywhere. With that in mind, we should start our preparations for the Lauden plan, assuming we can still pull it off. Grab what you need and meet me outside. I will wait in the car."

Once Cole is ready, Mitsuo fires up the Subaru (eventually) and the two set off across town. He sits straight and relaxed in the seat as usual, but the tension of his knuckles on the steering wheel mirrors the tension he feels at his own inaction. Cole's right, of course; whether Jenny is lost or not, Lauden needs to be protected. That doesn't make it any easier to stay out of an emergent situation where he could put his skills to work.

He almost sighs when he pulls into the driveway at Forward Thinking. Bundling up the blanket with the swords and plate-carrier, he awkwardly unlatches all of the locks one-handed and holds the door for Cole. "Douzo oagari kudasai. Please come in, Warden Cole. Take a look around, examine the building. Please remove your shoes when you go upstairs. There are house-slippers by the door." Mitsuo lets the door swing shut and rolls open the blanket on the conference table. While drawing out the swords to replace them on the rack, he adds, "I may have to dig up a few more pairs if we are to have so many guests. I wonder what it will take to get the smell of brimstone out of bamboo..."

Welcome to Forward Thinking, LLC! The building is cast concrete, with outer walls about 20cm thick. All of the doors (even the bathroom) are steel-clad with captive hinges. The windows are tiny, high, barred, and glazed with Lexan. Mitsuo hasn't done much to spruce up the place other than add furniture and a few decorations: a collection of ukiyo-e silk prints of Hokusai and Gekkou, tatami matting on the upstairs floors, and of course the portrait of his father Tsukada Rikichi and his sword-rack, which hangs on the facing wall of the middle landing in the stairwell.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo

Mitsuo pauses in his work, wiping a drop of sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. Forward Thinking has seen some major changes in the last couple of hours. Most of Mitsuo's personal effects have been packed away in the few small closets and corners, along with nearly all of the books and scrolls. The portrait of Tsukada Rikichi hangs in the closet as well on a hastily-installed nail. The sword rack, however, is still in its place, and the swords currently occupy the couch, waiting for Mitsuo to tie them on. Furniture has been pushed against walls. The downstairs chairs have been stacked and stowed in corners, hopefully minimizing their value as projectiles. The conference table, front desk, and filing cabinets are too heavy to move, so instead they've been worked around, creating small bastions of cover. The shoji screens from upstairs have been redeployed for the same purpose. Along the walls, in chalk and charcoal, run the runes and kanji characters that Cole and Mitsuo have inscribed as the beginnings of defensive wards.

Swiping a soda from the thaumafridge, Mitsuo cracks it for a quick swig, then presses it to his forehead while striding over to the phone. He quickly dials in Hugues' cell phone number, taking another pull while it rings.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Briefly taken aback, Mitsuo pulls the handset away from his head and stares at it for a long moment. Then he brings it to his ear. "Next time I see you I am changing your cell phone's ring sound to bagpipes. Listen. I need your help with setting things up here, and apparently organizing a refresher course on Asian culture and history. Bring others if you can, except for JR, of course; he has other duties. Oh, and what is going on with Jenny? Cole left in a hurry."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

While the poo poo approaches the fan, Mitsuo surveys the ward-traps he's just finished placing. In the west corner, between the front door and the conference table, lies trap #1. Scratched into the floor are long, spindly-looking characters, so thin and wispy as to be barely visible. It took multiple concentric rings of these featherweight runes to build any strength into the spell. In the end, though, Mitsuo's satisfied that anything caught in the ritual's blast radius will be pinned in place by powerful vortices of wind.

Ward the first, a +5 vs. Might Wind-element block against movement or physical attacks by the targets of the spell. If we divide the first floor into five equal-sized squares, this will affect all targets in the southwest square, with a duration of three exchanges. Command word activation. Total complexity 9 is covered by Mitsuo's Lore 3, a Lore maneuver, and Lore and Discipline maneuvers from Hugues. Controlling 2 shifts per roll with Disc 5 means only a -4 is a problem, rolled 0 1 0 2 -2.

His eyes flick across to the other corner. There, in black ink from Mitsuo's calligraphy set, is an asymmetrical cluster of odd-looking characters, so randomly and awkwardly built as to be almost amorphous. He just hopes the power drain from the spell's effect is enough to slow down whatever comes to play.

Ward the second, a +6 vs. Conviction Void-element maneuver to apply "Enervated" to the targets. Affects all targets in the southeast square. Command word activation. Total complexity 8 is covered by Mitsuo's Lore 3 +1 since it's a Void effect, and Discipline and Lore maneuvers. Same 2 shifts per roll at +5, rolled -2 2 -3 0.

Satisfied, Mitsuo turns his attention to the sounds coming in from outside, mulling over the trigger words for each ward in his head. He makes one last check of his armor vest's Velcro fastenings, loosens each sword in its scabbard, touches the hilt of the obsidian dagger thrust through his sash, and finally lets himself relax in readiness for the oncoming assault. Just in time, too, he thinks as the imps crash through one of the high windows.

Stepping right, he pivots left, dodging around the furnitre as he sweeps the katana out of its scabbard. The first cut rises to nearly straight up. Mitsuo twists the blade forward and the second cut is straight down, slashing vertically into the cluster of imps. He stops it just above horizontal and snaps the blade back up into an overhead stance.

Weapons +4 --/+ = +3 attack at Weapon:3.

pre:
Name: Mitsuo
Offense:  Weapons +4
Defenses: Weapons +4, Athletics +2, Armor:1
Aspects: Dashing Forward, Cause for Alarm, Kingdom of Shadows
Physical: () () ()
Mental: () () () ()
Mild (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Major (-6):

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 2

Self compel on Dashing Forward to completely ignore the imps and focus on the bigger threat.

Feinting left and right to ward off approaching imps, Mitsuo spares a look for the door. That's a mighty big dent. Cracks around the hinges. Won't last more than thirty more seconds. He lowers the sword, holding the blade below waist level, trailing behind as he walks. "Incoming! Get rid of these imps. I will greet the newcomers." Without waiting for a reply he ducks low, moving across the room towards the front desk. In his mind he starts to run through tactical scenarios, angles of attack, proper small-squad responses to various levels and types of threat. Distracted, he hooks his foot on a chair shoved up against the wall and sprawls on the floor, completely prone.

Athletics +2 ---+ = 0. FACEPLANT

He gets his feet back under himself as quickly as he can. Rather than moving across the room to a tactically sound position, though, he's stuck in the open, right in front of the rapidly-disintegrating front door. Frustrated and feeling short on time, he faces the door and sets his feet, standing low and wide with the sword still hovering just off the ground behind his back foot. He fixes his gaze on the door and takes a deep breath. Chest heaving, he waits for the door to burst.

Welp. Readying to receive the charge. Discipline +5, -1 supplemental action, -+++ = +6 result. Mitsuo has his "Feet Planted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

The Licker hauls rear end into the building, its head darting from side to side as it charges towards Mitsuo. He waits until the last possible moment. Finally, as the nasty claws and monstrous tongue come much too close, he shuffles sideways to dodge the brunt of its momentum and brings his sword forward in a low, deadly arc aimed at the creature's knee-analogues.

Weapons +4, tag from Feet Planted +2, --++ = +6 attack with Weapon:3.

pre:
Name: Mitsuo
Offense:  Weapons +4
Defenses: Weapons +4, Athletics +2, Armor:1
Aspects: Dashing Forward, Cause for Alarm, Kingdom of Shadows
Physical: () () ()
Mental: () () () ()
Mild (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Major (-6):

• Locked thread
«3 »