Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch
Jenny walked into a bar and said "Ow."

After scanning the bar and not seeing anyone she knows, Jenny walks over to the bar to try and get the attention of the bartender. "I'll take an Appletini, and... hm. Do you have a juice box? Great."

Jenny turns back to the stage where Miss Magnolia is singing and waits for her order. Hughes should be here soon, and hopefully this announcement would clear up what's been going on.

Rolled a 7.

quote:

Name: Jenny Hirsch
Template: Focused Practicioner
High Concept: Vet with the Magic Scalpel
Trouble: I Can Fix It
Refresh: 3

Other Aspects:
My Species, Right Or Wrong
Right Makes Might
New Mage On The Block
Youngling's Youngling
Fool You Once, Fool You Twice

Powers:
Lawbreaker (Fifth)
[-0]
Evocation (Earth, Force, Spirit) (+1 Force Control) [-3]
Thaumaturgy (+1 Crafting Strength) [-3]

Rote Spells:

Enchanted Items:
Cornell University "Go Big Red!" Ring (Left Hand): 4-shift Spirit Block (Shield), 3 uses
Grandmother's Silver Dagger (Neck): Discipline, Creates Advantage "Struck With A Holy Object"
Bat's Eye View Potion: Creates Zone Aspect "Shimmering Outlines"
Open Potion Slot

Focus Items:
Cold Iron Scalpel: +1 Healing Complexity Focus

Skills:
Skills +5: Rapport, Discipline
Skills +4: Scholarship, Conviction
Skills +3: Empathy, Deceit, Athletics
Skills +2: Lore, Driving, Intimidation
Skills +1: Presence, Endurance, Investigation
(One Point Banked)

Stress:
Physical OOO
Social OOO
Mental OOOO

RPZip fucked around with this message at May 17, 2013 around 02:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch - 3 FP

Jenny glances down at Hugues in surprise, about halfway through her Appletini and still listening to the song. "What? Oh. Sure. Let's go grab a seat at the b- not the booth?" Something was clearly not right. Maybe someone from the school was here, and he didn't want to blow his cover? Either way, his face alternated between looking like he was about to either cry or throw a temper tantrum. "Okay, okay. Let's go sit at that table over there, alright? You're more than welcome to join us, Ada."

Go to go sit down at the table. I'm going to go and use Empathy at +3 to try and get a feel for the crowd's mood and maybe dig up an aspect while Hugues relaxes.

Dicebot gave me +//- = 0

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny - 3->4 FP

Jenny raises her hand in the air, catching the warden's eye. "So, you're here to help us, right? Protect practitioners from, uh... other things?" Seeing heads turn towards her, some amused and others hostile, Jenny blushes. "Uh. No offense meant."

Self-compel Ingenue's Intercession to say something naive.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2012 around 23:21

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch - 4 FP

Jenny moves to try and shake the warden's hand, breezing past his slightly put-out look. "Hi! I'm Jenny Hirsch. It's great to meet you! So you're going to be our new Warden? Cole, right? It'll be great having someone around to help us simple practitioners out down here, some of the stuff going on has been kind of messed up. If we run into any trouble with, er, one of the bad guys we should call you, right? I mean, we try and look after ourselves mostly, but it's not like we've had much choice either. It's just been terrible, terrible, but now that you're here we should all be okay, yeah? Great!

Jenny knows she's rambling... a lot, really, but he seems to take it more or less in stride. That might even be a bit of a smile on the edge of his face. Still pretty faint, but who knows? It'd be nice to be on his good side.

"Oh! I can't believe I forgot to tell you! If you run into any injured animals let me know, I'm a vet so I can patch them up pretty good. People too, so you know, if you get injured or anything protecting us I can patch you up. No questions asked. Okay? Great!"

Rapport for First Impressions, which gave me a 6 (3 + 3), which gets -2 because of the Morgan-o-Meter, and giving myself a temporary aspect of 'Lookin' Good, Feelin' Good'. And rambling.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch 4->5->4 FP

Jenny hears Hughes shout as his gout of flame goes spiraling off into the air. Breaking into a run she gets near him just in time to see the enormous ghoul throw a lazy swipe in the kid's direction.

"Hughes!"

Jenny throws herself at Hughes in a flying tackle, pushing him out of the way of the blow but catching the swipe on her shoulder. The force of the attack sends her flying back a few feet, but she manages to pull herself to her feet with the aid of a parked car

Taking that compel and then spending the fate point on an invoke on Apprentice to a Four Foot Tall Fourth Grader. Hughes is in trouble!

Even with the compel and my roll of +1 it's a total of 3 because I forgot to get athletics, so I'm crossing off my third physical stress box.

pre:
Defenses: A Disapproving Frown
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, You Can't Stop Me I Know What's Right
Physical:	( ) ( ) (X) 
Mental:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( )
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )

RPZip fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2012 around 09:30

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

Still a little wobbly from the impact, Jenny starts cautiously backing up from the creature at Hughes command. Still, even from here...

"Shreklekh!"

She'd been practicing that one, but it still didn't manage to do more than gently nudge the ghoul. Still, for whatever reason, the spell was... leaky. There was something in it like the way she kept people alive, but whatever it was it threw people off a bit. Hopefully it'd be enough - she didn't want to disobey Hughes, but if they didn't put this down quick she didn't intend for anyone else to get hurt if she could help it...

Casting Shreklekh as a rote, /+-- +4 = 3. That beats the Ghoul's discipline defense of +--/ = -1 handily. The ghoul now has "Creeped the gently caress Out", and the first person to tag that aspect it gets it for free.

pre:
Defenses: A Disapproving Frown
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, You Can't Stop Me I Know What's Right
Physical:	( ) ( ) (X) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ugh. Ghouls were always just so... disgusting. She knew she hadn't been that useful in the fight, and by the look in his eye Hughes was going to have something to say about something like 'reckless endangerment of a situation he had well under control' later, but... well, she still thought of him as a little kid. Even though he was a little kid who could have, and had, taken on monsters that would have chomped down on her without a second thought.

Sometimes this whole magic thing sucks.

J.R. and that Cole seemed to have the ghoul pretty well under control. The cowboy had made a tremendous flying tackle to bring him down, moving faster than any athlete she'd ever seen. Definitely someone to watch. Still, the ghoul had definitely been doing something in the bushes when Hughes had spotted him. Something like... gnawing on a half-eaten body.

Ew.

This probably wasn't something that the cops were going to know how to deal with, and if she'd been nearby she might have been a fellow practicioner on her way to the meeting. Either way, trying to figure out who she was and what'd been done to her outside of the obvious.

Again, ew. Still, trying to contact her last of kin was the least Jenny could do...

Scholarship /+/+ +4 = 6 to do a quick medical examination of the body and maybe dig through any personal belongings left.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 4->5

Jenny waited until Hughes had spoken to the warden and departed, fidgeting slightly and shivering. How could someone - anyone - do stuff like that? She hadn't looked like a monster, but the way she'd spoken at the end...

"Uhm. Hi. Mister Cole? We met earlier. I'm not... I mean, I don't know a whole lot about some of this stuff, but the way she shouted at you at the end wasn't right. It wasn't your fault what happened to her, what she'd done to those people, and it wasn't right that she blamed you for it. Um. I know she tried to do something to you, at the end, right before... before she died."

Jenny looks away for a moment, glancing up at the sky before turning back to Cole. "I'm not even entirely sure what that was, but I'm going to spend some time researching to try and fix it. You don't deserve... stuff like that. It wasn't even like you were the one who killed her!"

Taking the compel on "Don't Panic, I Can Fix It" to go over and ask Cole if I can fix the curse.

Trying Empathy to read Cole in the conversation - tagging Lookin' Good, Feelin' Good from the earlier good impression, a roll of //+/ and a base Empathy of 3 for a total of 6.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->4

After dropping Hughes off at his place, Jenny drove back home and spent some time thinking. The whole situation with the Warden worried her, and that poor woman the ghoul had been eating... she hadn't deserved any of this. It was time to do something.

Well, first a phone call.

"Hey, Ada? I'm going to go talk to that prayer circle and see if I can find anything out about Pamela. Er. The women that the ghoul was eating? I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, but I could use a buddy to come along with - would you like to accompany me?"

Quick post from work, but either Rapport or Empathy to try and discover pertinent information about the group during the meeting. I think it's empathy to get a read on the group rather than rapport but I can't check the book at the moment. I'm trying to gain their trust while looking for signs of deception or things they're not telling me.

Either way the skill is +3, and a fudge roll of -//+. I'm blowing a Fate Point and tagging Ingenue's Intercession, for a total of +5.

E: Looking at the book, the skill I wanted was indeed Empathy.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2012 around 04:43

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

"Oh, hi! Uhm. And yes, I was looking for the prayer group. Sort of."

Jenny walks into the hall, with Ada and Hughes tagging along behind. Seeing the kid's playroom, her face breaks out into a smile. "Great! Hey, Hughes, why don't you go check out the playroom while Ada and I talk to the group?"

Moving to the table and taking an offered seat, Jenny waits until the adults are nearby before beginning. "I wish I was here under different circumstances, but I'm afraid that we," Jenny says, nodding towards Ada, "are here investigating a death. More precisely, a murder."

Jenny pauses a moment, pulling Pamela's license out of her purse. "This woman, Pamela Nazarene, was murdered last night outside the House of the Rising Sun. We're trying to find out who, or what, killed her. We know she was a member of your prayer group, Mother Sula, and any kind of leads or information you could give us that would help us find the killer would helpful."

Using the roll from before to get a read on the the group members, esp. in reaction to the revelation.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 4->3

Putting a gentle hand on Ada's shoulder to calm her, Jenny turns to Vanessa with a frown. "You have my word on it, too. Ada has worked hard to reform her... associates, despite their checkered background, and given them a chance to turn over a new leaf. Besides, we have come with good intentions, to assist you and the rest of the prayer circle, and your first reaction is to cast aspersions on our character? That hardly seems appropriate."

Turning slightly away from Vanessa, Jenny speaks directly to Mother Sula. "We have not lied to you, nor your circle. Will you speak with us now?"

Using Rapport as a social attack. I'm taking the free tag from my empathy on Sula's Confidant, then invoking You Can't Stop Me, I Know What's Right for another +2 to recover from my terrible roll. Total of +5 because foxxbot hates me.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 3->2

Vanessa posted:

Angry ranting

Starting to get a bit angry herself, Jenny starts to respond in a huff. "We did not steal anything, the warden himself told us to-"

Jenny stops talking for a minute, takes a deep breath, and tries to relax while raising both hands in front of herself. "Look, I know this has to be a hard time for you. We're here to help, not hurt you, and we're on an official mission by the Warden as well. I don't know what's happened in the past, but I promise you that there's no ill intentions. Okay?"

Using Empathy instead of Rapport, managed to get a roll of -2. Reroll brings it up to +1, plus 3 from the skill, for a total of +4. Against a roll of +4 this results in a fragile aspect of 'I'm Listening', which can only be tagged once but is a free tag.

Also noting that bit about the Warden coming by later for myself. Hmm.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2012 around 06:16

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 2

"Okay. We're all friends now, right? Or at least willing to put other issuers aside for now? Great. First, we wanted to know if you had any ideas about who'd want to hurt your sister, or why. I have high hopes for the new warden, but he's a busy man with... a lot on his plate. As for the police, well..."

Jenny trails off for a moment, a faraway look ok her face. "Even if there weren't connections to magic in the case, I wouldn't trust the police in this town to catch a drunk frat boy. Murder one, maybe but catch one? It's not in their nature. Any thing she might have said to you or been working on recently would help us find her killer."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny frowns, thinking a bit more on it than Ada does, before nodding in assent. "I have to agree. Whatever it is, we might have a better shot of handling it than someone else would."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods at Mother Sula's explanation. "Thank you. Do you have Andy's contact information, and does he carry a cell phone? I know he's out of town, but if he's reachable or when he returns home he might be able to shed some light on this. Hmm. And for that matter, do you happen to know which Church Father James works at?"

After thanking Mother Sula for her time and help, Jenny moves around to look in the playroom, trying to spot Hughes. "Hughes? Are you there? It's almost time for us to get going."

Rolled Lore to see if knew about the compact and got /--- +2 = -1, so I'm going with a resounding no.

"The compact is... a type of car."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny takes a minute to think, twisting a strand of hair slightly while everyone gets buckled up into the car. "He's her husband, but out of town at the moment on some kind of business. Mother Sula didn't give us much more about him than that, although when he gets back in contact with her she'll give him our contact information."

Jenny shifts around, looking out through the rear view mirror as she starts the car and begins to back it out of the parking space. "Pamela was part of some organization called The Compact, and they're supposed to spend their time banishing demons. Or something. It sounds like that priest who was there, Father James, might have been involved as well, so we're going to go see what he has to say."

Drive to the church.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch Fate Points: 2

After pulling behind a car at a red light and coming to a full and complete stop, Jenny throws the car into park and turns to ruffle Hugues' hair.

"Look, it's just part of your cover for them, right? And don't pout because I won't let you sit in the front seat, you know that the CDC says it's not safe until you're 13. Just be glad you don't have to use a booster seat anymore."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 2->1

quote:

The Licker demon is still flat on its back when Hugue's firebolt takes it right in the exposed brains. It shrieks and claws at it's own head before rolling over and growling at Hugues.

Oh my god.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my go-

Wait. Think. Gotta be calm. It's some kind of horrible monster and it's getting up and oh god oh god I'm going to die

No. Calm. Peace. Serenity.

Planning.

This is a church, right? There's gotta be something around... water! Blessed water? Probably.

Throw the whole thing? No? Way too heavy. Uhm. Demon's looking this way. Oh no. Oh noooooo.

Wait. Cup! There's a cup! Yes!

With a slightly crazed smile on her face, Jenny grabs the cup and fills it in the baptismal water font. A cup! Full of water! Good water! Holy water!

Remember the lessons. Take a deep breath. Extend the arm fully. Check that the bracelet is lined up with the object and the target. Focus. Gather the power, aim and... release!

Demons freak Jenny out a little bit.

Summoning 5 power and aiming the holy water at the demon, attempting a manouever. /--/ + 5 = 3. I'm Invoking You Can't Stop Me, I Know What's Right (ignoring Cole's advice to beat it) for a total of 5 to land the manouever. Adds the aspect 'Drenched in Holy Water' to the demon. This should satisfy the catch for the monster until he removes it somehow or it expires.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +2, Shield Ring (+3)
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2012 around 20:39

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch - FP: 1

The demon was still moving! Injured, but moving. This shouldn't be happening, it's a demon! In a church! Doused with holy water! And it was still moving?

Bad. Very bad. The cup? The cup wasn't enough! Not enough holy water. Maybe there's something more holy than holy water? Holiest water?

No.

A lot of holy water. That's the ticket. Where can I get more? I could fill another cup... no! Not enough. I need more.

Lots more.

...tons more.

Like... a stone fountain filled with holy water?

Yes. That big.

With an entirely wordless, moderately hysterical and only slightly intentional cackle, Jenny moves to the side of the baptismal font, arms extended. Jenny spins back towards the creature and moves into a softball pitcher's stance, arm winding up and revolving twice before turning into a vicious underarm throwing motion.

The font twists, bulging out from the wall in resistance before tearing loose from the attachments and flying through the air, directly at the demon's head.

Summoning 7 shifts of power and checking off a 3-stress hit due to overcharge, as well as tagging Parboiled and Charred Bones for my discipline roll, /+-/ +9 = 9 and Weapon: 7. Picking up and throwing the actual baptismal font at the demon means I should avoid having to invoke for the catch.

pre:
Mental:		(X) ( ) (X) ( )

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch - FP: 1->2

Jenny stares hard at the ectoplasm. It was probably dead, right? Sure.

Maybe.

It takes a minute for Cole's words to percolate through to Jenny, but she shakes her head to try and clear it. "What? Oh. Yes. Hold on, I have a first aid kit in the car."

It only takes a minute to go outside and return to the priest with the fully-stocked kit. He... doesn't look good.

Accepting the compel; Scholarship +5 to examine the injuries and see what I can do for them.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2012 around 06:47

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch: FP: 2->1

The wound is... bad. Very bad. And clean. Jenny's eyes flick towards Cole's terribly sharp sword, then back to the task at hand. No time for that now.

"Cole! Put pressure on this, I need to grab supplies."

Jenny tears into the first aid kit, pulling a tourniquet, gauze, and throwing some hastily-applied gloves onto her hands. No blood clotters in the kit, damnit. This would have to do.

"Keep the pressure up! He's lost a ton of blood already, we're going to lose him if we can't stabilize him long enough for the ambulance to get here."

The tourniquet goes around the wound, but it's no good - blood is still oozing out, far too much to be healthy. Cole hands Jenny an ice pack from somewhere and she slaps it on, frantically applying bandages and gauze to the wound to try and get it to clot.

"Damnit... damnit! Clot, drat you! Clot! I'm not losing you here!"

Rolling Scholarship to try and slow/stop the bleeding. -+-/ + 4 = 3, spending a Fate Point to invoke Vet with the Magic Scalpel to bring it to +5. The good father survives another exchange. Next exchange I get a /-++ +4 = 5, +2 from Cole's ice assistance, for a total of 7.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2012 around 07:31

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 3

"I hope he'll be okay..."

Jenny turns to Cole as the sirens get closer, briefly glancing down at his sword again before returning to his face. "Uh. Yeah, sure, I'd be glad to give you a ride. Hmm. Well, Hughes needs to sit in the front, the back seat isn't safe for him. Do you mind riding in the back with Ada?"

Kicking around stunt ideas. Someone with a phone should ring up Mitsuo and J.R.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 3->4

The tea is rather good, if a bit less sweet than Jenny usually takes it. Maybe Hughes does have a point with all that moaning about how much sugar she puts in it...

"How did we get to the church? By... car? We drove here in... oh. We visited the prayer circle of Mother Sula earlier, and she gave us the priest's contact information as a possible lead. We thought he might have been part of the Compact, some kind of demon-banishing organization."

Jenny sighs and puts down the teacup, steeling herself for a question she isn't sure she wants to ask. "My question is this: What happened to the priest? Specifically his hand. That cut was way too clean to be from a claw."

Taking a compel on Ingenue's Intercession to be a bit too open here.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Oh, great.

A job where the freaking sales pitch is that we get to go hunt down some souleating vampire? Nooooooooooo. No.

Dealing with that demon was terrible enough, but we didn't know it was there. Why in the hell would we willingly take on a job where that's going to happen often? Not running way when you can help people is one thing, but choosing to run at those kind of situations is another.

See, even Hughes doesn't think it's reasonable. Once he's done coughing we can refuse the pins and... and... oh, goddamnit.

quote:

"Jen. You don't have to follow me if you don't want to. I won't hold it against you if you don't want to get involved."

She wanted to walk away. Demons and soul-eating vampires... she just knew that it was going to end with one of them getting hurt. And by hurt she meant dead. And by dead she meant... okay, she actually meant dead.

Jenny had learned a lot about the supernatural world in the past year, since starting her apprenticeship under Hughes. And almost everything in the supernatural world sucked. Lots of things willing to eat you, lots of things that thought they had the right to eat you. Jenny had always loved animals, but it'd been more than a little bit of a shock to understand how deer must feel about hunters.

But even so... she couldn't just walk away. Not with Hughes out there, walking right into danger. Not with Ada and J.R., or even that creep Mitsuo, running right into potential death. Probable death, even.

Walking away was the smart move, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. If her friends were going to throw themselves into the fire, well, she'd be right there alongside.

"...I'm in."

Self-compelling Apprentice To A Four Feet Tall Fourth Grader to help Jenny deal with her incipient monsterphobia.
e: Also changed one of my aspects to more accurately reflect how I've been playing Jenny. Swapped Walk with the Animals, Talk with the Animals to "Inhuman Means Subhuman"

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2012 around 06:26

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 5

Jenny parks the car a bit out of sight. Hopefully if things go bad it'll be close enough to reach, but not quite so close that a wandering patrol officer would remember it.

Hopefully.

Jenny and Hughes casually stroll over to where the others are gathering, in the lee of a nearby building and not immediately obvious from inside.

Hopefully.

"Uh. So, how are we going to do this?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny hangs back from the barricade, trying not to get too nervous about the flooded basement of death they were spending so much time busting in to. Deep breaths. Serenity. Garlic always reminded her of Bubbe's cooking, so that was actually helping her not freak out a little.

Ada was standing besides her. She seemed so much more... poised than Jenny was. Maybe it was the outfit? A pristine white tank top didn't seem that much more conducive to keeping control of yourself than her own dark blue dress shirt and medium-long skirt, but maybe the lack of concern over the way she looked might help in a fight?

Hang on, why is she looking at her hand that way?

"Ada? What's wrong with your hand?"

Scholarship +++/ +4 = 7 to do a quick medical exam on Ada's hand, trying to figure out what's going on.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Biting her lip in concentration, Jenny focuses on the portion of the hand Hughes was indicating. It looked more or less like any other part of the hand, about where the captoid and scaphoid bones met. Still, when she brushed her hands against the spot Jenny felt something utterly foul emanating from it. A faint sense of nausea and cold, dark despair.

Shivering at the sensation, Jenny draws up power and throws it against the foulness. Nothing happens for a moment, but then it catches and begins to recede.

Summoning up a 5-shift counterspell and taking a 2-stress hit for doing so. Rolling Discipline gets me -++- +4 = 4, tagging Co-Op Spellcasting to get it up to 6.

pre:
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, "Inhuman Means Subhuman"
Mental:		( ) (X) ( ) ( )

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->6

I really, really wish this had been more surprising. Black Court Vampires were nasty. Well, at least we planned for this.

Jenny takes a quick look at the garlic explosion thing Hughes had handed her. It looked pretty much like a normal bulb of garlic, but if you touch it with a bit of magical power, and... it looks like a faintly glowing bulb of garlic. Right. Great.

Time to get this far away from her and into one of the drat bloodsuckers. Concentrate, keep your eye on the target. Take a half-step back, wind the arm back, then step into the throw and release in a smooth motion with your full body weight behind it.

"Hah! Take that, soulsucker!"

Nobody tells Jenny anything. Self-compel on Ingenue's Intercession to waste the garlic grenade on the 'vampires'.

Discipline roll of ///- +5 = 4 to throw the grenade. I'm taking the free tags off of Lopsided and Useless Right Arm to get it to 8.

pre:
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, "Inhuman Means Subhuman"
Mental:		( ) (X) ( ) ( )

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2012 around 04:24

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 6->4

These... weren't Black Court? Oh, goddamnit.

"Why does nobody tell me these things before aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

As the zombie under the stairs grabs for Ada, Jenny stumbles back and lands in the freezing water with an ungraceful splash and comes up spluttering, the scream cut short by the shock of the cold water. Jenny takes a moment to stare at the oscillating arms in shock, catching a glimpse of a face that seems strangely familiar, before turning away from the creature.

This was just sick. What kind of... thing could turn people into these monsters? What kind of god would allow these monsters to continue to exist?

What kind of person would she be, if she allowed this desecration of all that was right to continue for one moment longer?

With her face tied into a grimace of anger and fury, Jenny raises her fist high above her before slamming it towards the ground in a brutal motion. As she does so a tremendous blow of force slams into the other room from above, like the fist of an angered deity come to seek his vengeance.

Using Scholarship to Declare a Minor Detail, subject to GM approval; Scratchy "Looks Familiar". Pathos for everybody! If this should be a different skill let me know, but the Scholarship roll was -/// +4 = 3.

Discipline to attack the other room. Summoning 7 shifts of power (Conviction -1) for a 4-stress mental hit, and using 2 of those shifts to make it a zone attack. Discipline roll was +/-/ +5 = 5, but I'm invoking "Inhuman Means Subhuman" and Healing the Sick, Healing the Dead due to the anger at using necromancy to do something this monstrous. Should be W:5, Discipline 9 against everyone in the other room.

pre:
Mental:		( ) (X) ( ) (X)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

A... human in there? No...

Jenny turns away from Ada and the boy cradled in her arms and promptly throws up. Once, twice, three times, until there's nothing left and she's just dry heaving. The taste is enough to snap her back in, a bit, but she avoids meeting Ada's gaze. Or Hughes'.

"Okay. Okay. It'll be okay. I can... I can fix this. Can someone get me the me... medical kit. Please?"

Self-compelling Don't Worry, I Can Fix It. I can't.

Scholarship --++ +4 = 4 to examine Steve.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->6

"Okay. Okay. I'll fix it."

The boy... Steve, his name is Steve, was bleeding out from the shotgun pellet wound. He wasn't going to make it long enough for an ambulance to get here... and even if there was one right here, he wouldn't make it to the hospital.

Oh god...

No. Focus. Have to fix it. I can still fix it. She'd done this once before, with... with Donald, and his broken face popped into her mind like a vengeful spirit. She hadn't fixed it then. All she'd done is make it worse.

No.

Have to focus. Have to fix it.

Concentrating on the boy, Jenny began to draw in her power. She'd done it once, on pure instinct, but she wasn't sure she could do it again...

Self-compel on Healing the Sick, Healing the Dead and it's thaumaturgy time!

Beginning a ritual to cast Soul Hold, with Hughes' help. Complexity is 8, and my starting Lore is 4.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny Hirsch FP: 6->5

Jenny nods, accepting Hughes help but avoiding his eyes. This isn't right. She can still feel his angry gaze boring into her, but...

All of this is your fault, Jenny. You caused this.

She had. It was true. But no matter what she did, it was her fault. This was all her fault. So she had to fix it.

The power thrummed through her as she brought it to bear, and the rush of it filled Jenny with greater confidence. Using her power this way wasn't a sin. It was right. It was just.

Steve gasped as the power leaped into his body, breath coming in a tight whistle, but Jenny knew it was all right. It was all all right. He wouldn't leave them, now. Not until she was ready for him to leave.

Gently, oh so gently, Jenny drew the scalpel from the first aid kit and began to work.

Mechanically, it takes two rolls for me to get enough power to use the spell; Discipline //-+ +4 = 4 means I land the first, but only get -/+- +4 = 3 on the second. Spending a fate point to invoke Healing the Sick, Healing the Dead to cover my discipline and the spell goes off successfully.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

As the power drains out of her and she releases the spell, Jenny feels the nausea and disgust come storming back. She felt like throwing up all over again, but there was nothing left.

"He... he's going to be okay."

Jenny's lips feel cracked and brittle as she tries to smile at Cole, although it only goes so far as a pained grimace. "He just needs bedrest and some recovery time. He'll... he'll recover. In time."

The room is shaking, or maybe that's just her. "I... this was all... I didn't... I..."

Her voice trails off. It's all too hard, too impossible to put into words. She can't face them anymore. Not after what she did.

"I'm sorry."

And with that, she's out of the room and into the street. It's not raining, but it should be.

Home. Maybe everything would make sense at home.

Jenny needs a little alone time after that. She'll be at her apartment trying to figure out what the gently caress.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny opens the door slightly, chain still in place, and scans Hughes up and down. She's wearing beat-up sweatpants and a faded sweatshirt, and her hair is wet and a bit of a mess. Her nose wrinkles involuntarily at the smell of food, but her lips and eyes are devoid of any apparent emotion.

"I don't want to talk, Hughes. Go away. Please."

Minor declaration; this is the next day.

Stupid writer's block. Trying to get moving again.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

There's no way Hughes was just going to leave, no matter what she did. Jenny sighed and closed the door, sliding the chain out and then opening it again. She deliberately didn't invite him in because it'd annoy him - he could be very old fashioned that way.

Leaving the door open and giving Hughes a chance to look around, Jenny moves and collapses onto the couch. She hunches forward slightly, apparently unconsciously, and waits as he putters around with the food.

Definitely not leaving. Maybe it was for the best.

"What do you want?"

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2012 around 05:43

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny shies away from Hughes touch, hands gripping the sandwich tightly. Too tightly. "No. I didn't sleep. I couldn't sleep."

It's dark and wet. Cold. Terrifying. Hideous figures rise from the brackish water, humans twisted and animated by a monster.

"I... I was so angry."

Moaning and shambling, driven to terrible purpose by their master, the zombie leaps forward and crashes into Mitsuo. He screams as the creature bites his neck, bright arterial blood spurting into the air.

"They were just so... twisted. I needed to stop it."

Another creature bursts from the water, crashing into Ada. Her head twists under the blow, bending as she opens her mouth in horror before finally snapping with a sickening crack. She falls into the water, gurgling in agony, as the creature reaches down and begins to gnaw.

"I thought I could do it."

Cole rushes forward, scrambling for Ada's still form, with his sword held high. A blurred form leaps from his side, crashing into him and tumbling to the ground together. Cole gasps in pain as the zombie wrenches his arm from the socket, ripping it free and using it like a club on the warden, but his last sight is of Ada's head being torn from her body.

"I thought I could help."

J.R. twists free from the zombie's grasp, firing wildly as others swarm from everywhere around him. He nearly dances around them, weaving back and forth in a dance of righteous fury and death, before a severed arm extends out of the murk and shatters his ankle. The cowboy crashes to the ground with a cry of pain, still firing, as the the horde leaps onto his prone body.

"And it felt good. It felt... it felt right."

An enormous, twisted figure rises from the ground in front of Hughes, dwarfing his small form. He stumbles back, startled at the compacted mass of corpses as dozens of arms reach for him, but can't escape their grasp. The hideous things jaw opens, gaping impossibly wide, and Hughes' child-like body falls into its gullet. He screams, high-pitched and wavering, and the last image of his body is of his small arm scrabbling for purchase on the thing's nose as the jaws clamp shut with a grinding crunch.

"I thought it was monstrous. But it wasn't, not really. That's just how... how they are."

The summoner steps from the darkened shade where she'd lurked, looking at her children's work. Jenny could feel herself screaming as she ran at the figure, tears streaming down her cheeks as she launches herself forward, tackling the creature and going down in a clump.

"To be truly monstrous, you have to intend to cause that pain. You have to have choice. Lions aren't monstrous because they hunt."

Jenny brings her hand back, punching the monster furiously with a closed fist. She batters the creature again and again, fist slamming into her body as she attacked in a blind rage and she hated her she had to die she had to suffer and

and

and the face looking at her from the ground was her own.

"I chose. I am the monster."

I am the monster.

"I killed him, and it felt right. I brought him back, and it felt good. And... and... and I'm just like... them..."

I am the monster.

Jenny is shaking now, rocking back and forth with her kneels curled up into her body and her head buried between them. The sandwich lies forgotten on the floor, crushed in her hands before being dropped between nerveless fingers.

I am the monster. I am the monster. I am the monster.

RPZip fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 07:53

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny is quiet for a long, long moment.

"...human. I want to be human. I just... I need a little time, Hughes. It's not that easy."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

A smile flickers across Jenny's face at Hughes impression, although it's quickly gone. She knew about the threshold... thing, but she'd wanted him to go away. Still, that was an easy enough thing to fix. Most things weren't going to be this simple.

"You have my permission to enter my house, Hughes. Umm. Do you need my help with the potion?"

Hooray vicodin.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny smiled faintly as Hughes biked off. He really did believe in her... and that helped. If someone with that much darkness in his past could still think she was worthwhile, then maybe...

After devouring the sandwiches in her kitchen, suddenly ravenous, Jenny walked back to her room. The night table drawer was still open where she'd left it, and she slowly lifted the shallow bronze bowl and placed it in front of her. Dozens of white sleeping pills and a few green antiemitic tablets were scattered along its polished surface. Jenny could faintly make out her reflection staring back at her, distorted slightly by the curvature of the bowl.

Jenny sat there, sitting on the fluffy sheets of her bed and staring into her escape, eyes blinking back silent tears for a full five minutes before speaking.

"No. Not today."

Carefully lifting the bowl, so as to not spill any tablets, Jenny lowered it back into the drawer from which it came and closed it. It hadn't been the first time she'd stared at the bowl, despairing and working up the nerve, but it hadn't happened since... since she'd failed to save Donald. Almost a year and a half ago, now. She'd thought she could fix everything now, she could...

The night table had a key, and Jenny turned it to lock the drawer tight before returning the key to its loop on her silver necklace. Tilting her head back, she swallowed Hughes' potion in one gulp before laying down on the bed, not bothering to undress.

Not today, she thought. And from deep, deep inside of her, the place where she drew her power from, she heard an answering echo.

Not today. Not yet.

And then sweet, blessed unconsciousness finally took her.

Made some character changes, finally.

Bumped Scholarship to +5 and swapped it and Rapport, then took the Magical Doctor custom stunt.

quote:

Magical Doctor: You may use your Scholarship skill to declare appropriate justification for the recovery of moderate physical consequences when outside a medical facility, and for the recovery of severe physical consequences within a medical facility. You gain +1 to rolls to provide medical attention, and a further +1 when the damage was caused through supernatural means (a vampire firing a gun would not count, a vampire clawing someone would).

Also rejiggered my Thaumaturgy focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny was still a little depressed when she pulled up to Ada's place, but it was nice to be out in the open again. The cool breeze through her open window felt nice, and she ignored the dampness of the air with long-trained patience. She wasn't up to full speed yet, but she felt better. A lot better.

quote:

"The second threat is of course the demon attacks. Our source thinks they are trying to recreate the Wrath of God on the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah."

Wait, what?

Sodom and Gomorrah? Jenny thought about interrupting him, but he was already reading off some poem. Seriously, Sodom and Gomorrah? Maybe Pat Robertson was right.

Now that's a scary thought.

quote:

"It's music, see? A tongue that speaks only lies and an ear hears only painful cries - one of those has got to be one of these musicians - not sure which, though. Seems like there's something going on near every night this week," JR points out as he shows the paper to the others.

Jenny studies the list for a while, thinking, before speaking up. Her voice is hesitant and a bit hoarse, but still clearly audible. "Well... at least so far, everyone who's been attacked has been pretty deeply religious. The lines in the poem seem to be reversed from their original intent, unless Father James was up to something we didn't know about. A tongue that speaks only lies... a gospel singer sounds like the obvious choice, really, if it's reversing the normal intent."

• Locked thread
«7 »