Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

*click!*

Well, isn't this just typical Bellworth. "Why, hello Captain, anything I can do for you today?" "Oh, not much, just a how-are-you, entertain some guests, maybe seal away one of the greater powers of Hell for all eternity." And a demonic plot to destroy New Orleans on top of everything else. Between the hurricanes, governmental incompetence, and supernatural malice, it seems that the universe itself harbors some cosmic grudge against the city.

Elbridge Hardley finishes his afternoon tea and reaches for the final card of his personal reading. After Laura's call, he's fully expecting the overarching influence to be The Devil; to his dismay, the next card he draws is a different Arcana whose meaning, in this context, is even worse.

Judgment.

The wizard sighs and leaves his study to replace the tea kettle on the stovetop with a coffee pot. He can already tell that it's going to be a long night indeed. When he finishes brewing the strongest, blackest cup of coffee he can manage, he returns to his desk and shuffles the deck again. It's always difficult to deviate from the structure of a standard reading, but the Captain's characteristic brevity has left him without much meaningful information. Elbridge focuses his will into every motion of the cards before setting the shuffled deck on a rickety table and making the first draw.

The Hermit. So far, so good; at the very least, he's managed to focus the reading on himself. It remains to be seen if the rest of the spell has worked, revealing immediate influences instead of the narrative structure of a conventional tarot divination. Next card - first influence.

The Hanged Man. Well, if this isn't Warden Cole then El will buy a hat for the express purpose of eating it. Time to see if the magic has done its job, then. Next card - first signifier.

Nine of Staves. Leadership, tenacity, resolve...and desperation. The situation must be grave indeed. All previous readings on Richter's behalf had given the Eight of Swords as his first signifier, and that had hardly told them anything they didn't already know. Next card - second influence.

Knight of Swords. Someone to whom conflict was no stranger, but lacking maturity and restraint. Elbridge grimaces. Next card - second signifier.

The Hierophant. So this loose cannon is also a zealot of some stripe. Bloody wonderful. This is simply getting better by the draw. Next card - third influence.

Knight of Cups. One guided by conscience and compassion, for good or ill. Gentler than the Knight of Swords, but potentially no less dangerous. Next card - third signifier.

The Fool. Yes, definitely no less dangerous. Every single time Elbridge has drawn a Knight followed by the Fool, it's meant hospital bills for someone. Next card - fourth influence.

Death. Strange indeed, for the Reaper is almost always a signifier and very rarely an influence in its own right. What could it mean? Change, metamorphosis, the cycle of life and death - it is a very unusual person who is almost entirely defined by a single event. Next card - fourth signifier.

The inverted Two of Coins. A shiver goes down the curator's spine as the meaning of the previous card becomes apparent. Change in defiance of the natural order, life beyond death or death in life...a necromancer. With so many fell influences at hand, Warden Cole may be in dire peril indeed. It seems it may be wiser to contact him immediately rather than waiting for his call. Next card - fifth influence.

Queen of Staves. A person of conviction and resolve, most likely female. Intelligent and reasonable, but still not one to be crossed. Next card - fifth signifier.

The inverted Star. Guidance in darkness; wisdom through bitter experience; someone who's been to a dark place warning others away from it. Inverted or not, the Star means someone to be trusted or heeded. Next card - sixth influence.

The inverted Chariot. Back to the dire omens, it would seem. Hubris, especially with respect to powers beyond one's control, and a tendency to flee in the aftermath, leaving others to clean up the mess. Next card - sixth signifier.

The Tower. Whatever the Charioteer's intent, his actions either have blown up in his face or will very shortly. The signifier is tragic, but hardly unexpected. Without warning, the wing of the table gives way, spilling the two Major Arcana of disaster onto the floor as if Elbridge needed to be reminded of their meaning. Next card - seventh influence.

King of Cups. Finally, a card of unambiguously good portent. A man of both wisdom and compassion, sound judgment and goodwill. As he draws the seventh signifier, Elbridge feels the spell's energy ebb and recede, indicating that the reading is almost at an end.

Four of Swords. Strife, conflict, and danger. Either the previous card's subject has had a very colorful past, or his life is about to get far more interesting than is strictly healthy. Contacting the Warden immediately seems increasingly to be the most prudent course of action. Just one more card: the overarching influence, the omen that binds the reading into a coherent whole, the theme common to the individual elements. Elbridge draws, then stares in disbelief.

This can't be right.

Nine of Cups.

Trust.

pre:
Elbridge Hardley
Template: Wizard
High Concept: The Forbidden Sage
Trouble: Curiosity Killed The Curator
Base Refresh: 8
Adjusted Refresh: 1
Current FP: 1

Background: Nobody from Nowheresville
Rising Conflict: The Night of the Fire
The Story: Journey to the West
Guest Star: I Know You Know I Know You Know
Guest Star Redux: I don't care who started it, I'm ending it
Stress:
Physical: ( )( )( )( )
Mental:   ( )( )( )( )
Social:   ( )( )

Powers:
-Lawbreaker (7th) [0]
-Evocation (Earth, Force, Water; Force Power +1)[-3]
-Thaumaturgy (Crafting Strength +1)[-3]
-The Sight [-1]
-Soulgaze [0]
-Wizard's Constitution [0]

Skills:
+5: Discipline, Lore
+4: Conviction, Investigation
+3: Endurance, Scholarship
+2: Alertness, Contacts, Deceit
+1: Athletics, Resources, Stealth

Focus Items:
-Monolithic Fragment of Unknown Black Mineral (+2 Offensive Power to Force spells) (2 slots)

Enchanted Items:
-Tacky Hawaiian Shirt (2-use 6-shift Block for 2 exchanges; works by giving Elbridge's body the consistency
 of Kevlar layered over rubber) (3 slots)
-Hip Flask (Strength 8 Healing Potion; clears a Mild Physical Consequence immediately) (1 slot)

Other possessions:
-Vast collection of oddments and curiosities, some much more *ahem* curious than others
-Library of tomes, grimoires, and books on the occult, mostly bogus, but a few genuine
-Tarot Deck (not actually a focus item in the magical sense of the word, but he tends to trust
 it over other divinatory methods)
-Bottle of absinthe (just regular absinthe, if potent; helps take the edge off of the headaches
 from casting stronger spells)
-First Aid Kit (safety first!)
-Diploma from Oxford University dated 1880, declaring him a M.A. in natural sciences and
 anthropology (UK universities didn't grant PhDs until 1917)

Rotes:
-Hey, I saw that!/ananta-drishti! (5-shift Force/Spirit, enhances awareness of surroundings
 for 1 exchange, usually used to substitute for Alertness)
-Indy's Turboprop Special/mritamyasi! (7-shift Force, hits a target with a Weapon: 7 attack by 
 shredding it with a spinning helix of invisible energy blades, requires Monolithic Fragment, 
 very much a desperation move)
-Eh, Too Much Effort/kshuudra! (5-shift Force, acts as a 5-shift block for 1 exchange by 
 sapping the momentum from attacks)
-Hope You Brought Waders/bhurati! (4-shift Water, maneuver adds Aspect: Slogging Through 
 Waist-Deep Muck to the target, opposed by Athletics)
-Like A Rock/ashma! (4-shift Earth, target gains Armor:2 for one exchange)
The people denoted by the cards are:
Knight of Swords: J.R.
Knight of Cups: Jenny
Death: Hugues
Queen of Staves: Ada
Inverted Chariot: Mitsuo - it's important that his card fell away before the final influence was revealed, indicating that the trust between him and the others has been broken.
King of Cups: Andy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 1

Ordinarily, Elbridge would wait for the Warden to call him, but under the circumstances it seems wiser to warn him as soon as possible. He reaches for the ancient rotary set on his desk and dials the number he'd used to keep in touch with Cole back in the days of the war. Hopefully, he's managed not to hex his answering machine into scrap electronics.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 20, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

For a few moments, there's no reply to Jenny's knock as Elbridge casts his senses out of his body to the exterior of the shack. Not visibly dead, nor an ivory-skinned succubus, and the van certainly fits with Cole's...well, warning may be the appropriate term. No guarantee she isn't possessed, though, but he'll have that in a moment.

A voice calls from within. "Yes, come in, the door's unlocked!"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Jenny Hirsch FP: 3
Elbridge in plaintext, Jenny in italics

Jenny pushes the door open, stepping inside. The interior was dark and more than a little messy, and she wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of exploring around, and she didn't see Elbridge anywhere. "Elbridge? We should get going - I've got another meeting coming up, and I don't want to be late."

The wardflame on Elbridge's desk flickers blue for the barest moment before returning to its original yellow-orange state. Strange. He takes one of his briefcases in one hand and an oblong prism of a glassy black substance in the other before craning his head out of his study. "Yes, I'm over here. Just a moment - I've got two cases, and I'll need a moment to adjust the ward to let something through." Stepping out, he gestures to her. "Could you come give me a hand with these? They're rather heavy."

Jenny nods, moving away from the relatively clean patch of wall she'd been carefully leaning against and walking towards Elbridge. "Sure, I'd be glad to - woah!" Jenny stumbles, tripping a little and flailing her arms for stability before latching onto a shelf with scattered chotchkies on it. "Sorry, guess I'm more tired than I thought. It's been a long day already."

The curator breathes a sigh of relief. He's seen this before - Jenny must be the one who was recently exorcised, and the lingering fragments of the demon are confusing his wards. "No worries, I understand completely. Here, take this to the van; I'll need a minute for the other one," he says, handing her the baggage at his side.

Jenny smiles at him, taking the suitcase. "No problem. I'll be right outside."

Elbridge returns her smile as she takes his gear out the door, then drags the remaining case to the door of his study and recites from memory. "Sulaiman ibn Daoud, thine disciple must wander as thou wandered." There is a brief tingling sensation, and he hurriedly carries the case out into his kitchen. Halfway to the exit, he continues. "But as thou returned to Jerusalem after thine travails, so shalt I return here ere my work is done." The second ward parts long enough for him to carry his luggage to the door.

Jenny watches Elbridge walk up as she stands by the van's open rear door, carrying another briefcase. But this one wasn't the same, really. There was something just wrong about it, some strange sense of distortion. "What is that?"

"My life's work," he replies grimly. "A book that I call the Blacklist. I use a very fiddly ritual to trap a manifested demon within its ectoplasmic shell, then condense that ectoplasm into a sort of ink and write the saga of the fiend's defeat into the Blacklist, imprisoning it."

Jenny frowns. "Uh... huh. Okay."

Noticing her trepidation, Elbridge elaborates. "It's not perfect by any measure, but over the last century, hundreds, if not thousands of demons have escaped Hell by some means or another." He puts on his most serious British face. "Not a one has escaped the Blacklist."

Jenny shrugs, closing the van door on both briefcases. "Well, if it means we don't have to go kill him in the Nevernever it sounds good to me. There's already more than enough going on without having to do that again."

And with that, they're off.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 25, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Thank you for your assistance, Miss Hirsch. Before you go - I'm told that you struck the blow that brought it down. Would you mind telling me the details of how you and the others fought this demon? It will help with the sealing."

---

"Death - in some traditions, referred to as The Nameless Arcana - is indicative of sudden and transformative change. It can, on occasion, mean literal death, but is far more often a general symbol of a transition between states, especially with respect to the natural order. Season to season, day to night: it is the card most pertinent to thresholds, as well as sudden, momentous upheaval. There is some overlap between Death's sphere and that of the Tower, but whereas the latter emphasises disaster, calamity, and the destruction of the old, the former, in this context, is more concerned with the impact of the change on the actor itself: for better or worse, what's done is done. For it to represent someone in a reading, this change must have been drastic and utterly life-defining."

Elbridge pauses to withdraw a second card from the deck. "The Two of Coins: balance between opposing forces in the element of earth, associated with life and growth, as well as the material. The laws of physics, nature, and magic fall under its auspices: for every action, a reaction; what goes up must come down; what is born must eventually die." He flips the card. "Inverted, it means refusal to accept these laws and defiance of the natural order of things. In the context of magic, I have yet to see it refer to anything but the breaking of the fifth, sixth, or seventh law."

He places one atop the other at a right angle. "Taken together, these cards represent refusal to accept a natural change and change in favor of the unnatural. As the most important elements of someone's character, they must indicate something far more severe than, say, unwillingness to recognize that disco is dead and an attempt to revive it." Elbridge shakes his head sadly. "I'm sorry, Rick. If this doesn't add up to necromancy, then it's only because the truth is something even worse."

"If...if you'd like, I can recreate the original reading and explain all of the possible meanings of the influences and signifiers. Perhaps..." He sighs. "Perhaps you can narrow down the list of suspects so that there's no undue suspicion colouring your judgment of the others."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Lore /+/+ = 7 to examine the reforged sword

Impressive. The new blade is seamless. The enchantment is gone, of course, and there appear to be inclusions of iron along with the silver, but other than that it's all but indistinguishable from Luccio's work. Turner would have had to melt down the blade and totally reforge it to achieve this sort of result.

"Yes," he says. "If all goes well, they will for all intents and purposes be permanently imprisoned and unable to cause further trouble. Speaking of which," he turns to the Warden, "I really do need their names if I'm to seal them away." Elbridge hands the sword back to Cole. "Iron. Interesting choice - harder to work enchantments on it, but anathema to a number of supernatural entities."

He avoids looking at Hugues. Either the ten year old boy or the nice young lady who'd helped him with his luggage...no. He really doesn't want to know, and he can't afford any distractions if he's to dispose of a greater demon. "Turner, eh?" he says, forcing himself to make polite conversation. "I never met your father in person, but Captain Bellworth had a great deal to say about him. He was...he was a good man." Good enough that you'd miss him terribly. Good enough that you might do something stupid and desperate to have him back.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Bloody typical. Of course, it couldn't just be a simple beast of fire and brimstone, perhaps with leathery wings and a pointed tail. No, it has to be something exotic, a composite entity with independently-mobile parts. Unless Elbridge is very much mistaken, one of those parts is a sort of highly acidic fog, and is currently moving towards them much more quickly than he'd like (which is to say, at all). Luckily, the circle hasn't been scratched yet, although the block of ice inside does appear to have melted a bit.

Wait. Acid fog, melted ice, ...memories of a 19th-century university course come back to him. He pulls a mild smirk as he wills the water vapor in the air to gather and intermingle with the demon-cloud, then abruptly strips protons from the water molecules and flings them away. Another hole is eaten into the cement, but now the demon has to contend with a roiling cloud of pure hydroxide ions.

"Rasaayanashaastramh*!"

Declaring that the cloud is Highly Acidic with Scholarship /+/- +3 = 3: success! Casting a 4-shift water evocation using the water vapor in the air for a Weapon:4 attack and tagging the declared aspect. -+-+ +7 = 7 to control.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +1, Tacky Hawaiian Shirt (2 uses, 6-shift block for 2
exchanges)
Applicable Aspects: The Forbidden Sage, I Don't Care Who Started It...
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( )
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )
*Chemistry!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 1 -> 0

Elbridge runs upstairs to grab his luggage, then returns to the basement. He sets a briefcase, the one that exudes a palpable malevolence, on the lab table, fiddles with the combination lock, and flips it open. The interior of the briefcase itself has a triple-layered circle inlaid in silver, brass, and iron. Inside that circle is an immense tome with vellum sheets, bound in iron. El takes a few minutes disabling the wards, then opens the book to a blank page. Each individual sheet has elaborate geometric designs scribed into the margins; even under all the layers of protection, everyone in the room can feel the inmates straining against their bonds.

Elbridge opens the second briefcase and grimaces. Charcoal and iron-gall ink; lily-white feathers and preserved cherry blossoms; powdered mandrake and cobra venom and a knife of razor-edged obsidian...but only a single decanter of holy water, two sprigs of rosemary, and a vial of silver dust that's been heavily adulterated with lead. All well and good for most sealings, but for a demon of Kurevanixx's power, it would be nice to have some jade to ensure that all of the fiend is bound, and perhaps some ice from Arctis Tor to give the spell some teeth.

Luckily, the impromptu chemistry lesson seems to have done much of the work for him. In its liquid state, the portion of Kurevanixx in the circle on the floor takes only a drop of ink, a whisper of its Name, and a slight jolt of magic to transform into a thin, black fluid. A light misting of holy water combined with a continuously murmured command for it to stay on this plane serves to boil off much of the excess, leaving roughly a cup of a thicker, darker-black substance.

Recalling Jenny's account of her victory, he takes a pewter mortar and pestle from his briefcase, fills it with the brackish ectoplasm, adds some of the powdered metal, and grinds the rosemary into the mixture. With a pheasant-feather quill, he traces a wide circle on the page, then writes the tale of the demon's loss along the inside circumference, exactly as Jenny related it to him, then the demon's Name at four cardinal points inside that. The exercise is almost meditative to the wizard, and he completes much of the binding with practiced ease.

Now for the skull. Unfortunately, the effort of sealing much of a greater demon has been taxing, and he doesn't dare overexert himself lest it try to possess him. "If there's anything you two can do to force the remainder of the creature into quiescence, that would be most helpful. Be careful, however: we need it broken, not banished."

Rolling Discipline to give myself the temporary aspect "Done This A Thousand Times": -/// +5 = 4. Rolling Lore to declare that Kurevanixx is "Halfway There Already" with respect to the ritual: //-+ +5 = 5. Jenny's story gave me a "Word of the Conqueror" aspect to work with, and I have the demon's "True Name." Tried to roll resources to add having "Sugar and Spice and Everything Demons Hate," but +/// +1 = 2 = nnnnoooope. Taking the mild mental consequence "Overworked and Underslept," invoking "The Forbidden Sage," and taking all four successful tags listed above; with Superb Lore, that's 17 shifts of power out of a necessary 20. Don't leave me hanging, guys.

Also, Jenny told El about Hugues' role in kicking skull-boy's rear end, so he's not going to bother with the patronizing "You've done enough, you don't need risk your life to do this" speech.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 28, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 0

Even with Cole's assistance, the demon is furious and unrelenting. It knows of the Blacklist. It knows what the stakes are if it fails. Inch by inch, it psychically claws its way back from the brink of imprisonment. It's too strong...it's going to break free...

*HOOOOOOOOONK!!!*

Elbridge can feel the creature's (im)mortal terror at the sound. It flinches and recoils, and its grip on its corporeal form slips. With an almighty exertion of willpower, the skull shudders, distorts, and collapses into a pool of ectoplasm.

It's all over but the crying. A quick repeat of the process for the rest of its body, and in short order Elbridge is drawing a Goetic seal representing the demon in the very center of the circle, bounded by the Seal of Sulaiman in brass magically given the consistency of ink.

So ends the short but eventful tale of Kurevanixx.

Ritual is complete. If anyone asks, El will explain that although the Lesser Key of Solomon (Sulaiman) details 72 demons and Kurevanixx isn't one of them, the book is far from exhaustive.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge mops his brow, closes the tome, and reactivates the wards in the briefcase. Reaching into his thaumaturgical toolkit, he lifts away a false bottom and pulls out a bottle of a luridly green substance and a pair of tumblers. A quick water evocation rinses out the glasses before he fills them and offers one to the Warden. "First drink in two years, eh?"

He clinks his tumbler with Cole's and takes a sip before looking over to the mangled animal carrier. "Didn't you say there were two demons?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"I see you've still got it," he acknowledges as Cole pries open the portal. Stepping through to the other side, he follows the Warden in squeezing through the narrow passages, keeping a weather eye out as they head towards the mouth of the cave.

Alertness +/-/ +2 = 2

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 0 -> 1

The hairs on Elbridge's neck stand up at Cole's pronouncement. If the portal's been tampered with, then someone is likely expecting them. He takes a moment to share this observation with the Warden before taking stock of their surroundings.

That great bulk in the water stands out even in the NeverNever. Taking a closer look might be dangerous...but then again, Elbridge reasons, not looking might be even more dangerous. Staying on guard for the slightest sign of movement, the curator cautiously treads closer to the ponderous thing and begins to examine it.

Lore to know what El is looking at here: /+++ +5 = 8, godDAMN. Discipline to put El "On Guard:" /--/ +5 = 3, just barely a success.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

An Ent carcass, days old in Winter, yet untouched by scavengers? Curious. Something inhabiting the carcass, perhaps driving off anything that would try to eat its new home? Also curious...and disgusting. El picks up a fallen branch and probes at the exposed chest cavity.

Biology 101: When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Investigate /--/ +4 = 2. Chaosbot needs to see someone about them mood swings.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

A fetch, then. But it's approaching Turner, and wearing Laura's face...why would he both know what Bellworth looks like and fear her more than, say, everything else he's fought over the last week? The only explanation that would make sense...would be if he knew her. But how would he...

No. No sense in thinking on it now. An ethereal shimmering envelops Elbridge's hands as he begins to shape a spell construct. "No offense," he mutters, "but I've seen the real Laura Bellworth dancing. There's not much that you could do to compare."

Discipline to add "Focusing Power:" //// +5 = 5. Lore to know about fetches: ++// +5 = 7

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +1, Tacky Hawaiian Shirt (2 uses, 6-shift block for 2
exchanges), Discipline +5
Applicable Aspects: The Forbidden Sage, I Don't Care Who Started It..., Focusing 
Power (tag), Overworked and Underslept (tag)
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	(Overworked and Underslept)

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

And it's fighting like the real Laura, too, which it would only do if someone who feared the faerie had seen her in action. Cole's distracted, and Elbridge has enough experience with fetches that he's more annoyed at the delay than afraid, so how would Turner know...

Death: Metamorphosis...Inverted Two of Coins: Defiance of Nature...Inverted Moon: Denial...

His face twists into a scowl as he releases the energy. A cluster of silvery needles, aligned in parallel, materializes in front of him, then lances forward at the false Captain.

"Suiichiibhis!"

Fetch rolls to scare El into being unable to hurt it with magic: /+-+ +3 = 4. El Gives No Fucks: /+-+ +5 = 6. Investigate to clue in to Fake Bellworth fighting like Real Bellworth and the implications: //+- +4 = 4. Summoning a 7-shift Force Evocation for a Weapon: 7 attack; tagging "Focusing Power" for Discipline: +-+/ +7 = 8.

pre:
Applicable Aspects: The Forbidden Sage, I Don't Care Who Started It..., Focusing 
Power, Overworked and Underslept (tag)
Mental:		(X) (X) ( ) ( )

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 31, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3
Elbridge in plaintext, Hugues in italics

El takes a moment to watch no-longer-Laura dissolve and become indistinguishable from the swamp itself. For nearly a minute, he says nothing; then, glancing back to make sure Cole is out of earshot, finally replies. "You're welcome...Warden."

It doesn't matter how precocious they are, or how much supporting fire they have. Ten-year-olds do not face down Laura Bellworth - even the shadow of Laura Bellworth - and come out on top.

Warden? Okay, play it cool, this guy knew you before. Hugues lets out a chuckle, "I'm not a Warden yet."

Elbridge turns, as if to glare straight at Hugues, then stops at the last second. "Are you familiar with the Minor Arcana?"

"I need a few references, but not really. I couldn't tell what the Minors were on your reading."

El's face is stony. "Nine of Staves - resolve and tenacity. Knight of Swords - spirit, ferocity, and conflict. Knight of Cups - love, compassion, and idealism. Two of Coins...the natural order, often with respect to the Laws." He takes a moment to let it sink in.

"Wait, that wasn't about...The Two of Coins was with Death...what was the reading about?" crapcrapcrapcrapcrap

"Myself, Warden Cole...and everyone I was likely to meet in the near future." His eyes narrow. "Moreover, all the people whom he trusts."

Hugues shivers, Winter suddenly feeling rather cold right about now. "That's a pretty nasty combination..."

"It's odd enough that you'd know - and fear - Laura Bellworth enough for a fetch to both look and fight exactly like her, but why...why would you fear her calling you a traitor above all else?"

"I don't know, maybe it was leeching off of some of your fears too that someone who was working with you can Cole was a Lawbreaker? Trying to turn us against each other?"

"Don't. If you've the slightest regard for the Laws and the Council you swore to serve, don't."

Hugues lets out a sigh of defeat. "You always were good at this, Elbridge. I...I want to tell Cole but...well, I'm afraid of vengeful Wardens like Bellworth. I promise on what little of my power remains I'll tell him. Just...not now. For one, we're in Winter. For two, we're hunting a vampire. For three, New Orleans is on the brink of destruction."

"Soulgazes don't lie. They can't. I'll Soulgaze Cole and let him see the truth. Tell you what, you can decide the time. Just...let's just finish up here first."

Elbridge stiffens a little. "...We'll see. But whatever you decide about when to tell him, know this: there was some ambiguity in the reading."

"Is there any ambiguity right now?"

"Not for me, no. But for Warden Cole, there was one problem. Knight of Cups and the Fool, Death and the Inverted Two of Coins. He wasn't sure which was you...and which was Miss Hirsch."

"Knight of Cups and Fool is definitely Jenny. She's my apprentice, and naturally she also knows a bit of what I am. She gets carried away far too easy."

"Yes, I can see that now. I'm letting you know in advance that the Warden begins to suspect her, my hand will be forced." He sighs. "I'm not going to ask why - that much is patently obvious," he says, with more than a little venom in 'patently.' "I will, however, ask how a wizard under a century old managed this feat."

"World War II, Kemmlerite ritual. I'm a clone of myself. Specifics of the ritual I'm taking to the grave." Then Hugues' puts on a pouty face typical of his age. "I'll be a hundred in less than a decade!"

El smiles bitterly. "Well, I'll make a deal with you. You survive that long, and I will personally buy all one hundred candles. Not the cheap ones, either."

"Alright, sounds good." Hugues grows quiet for a moment, frowning in thought. "You said Bellworth said had good things to say about my father--or, me. Was that part true?"

The curator's smile turns genuine. "Yes. Yes it was. She said a lot of things about you, not all of them pleasant, but some were indeed complimentary. The Wardens who failed to impress her? You might never have known they existed, for all she spoke of them."

"Let's hope that's enough to stay her sword if she learns about me." Hugues looks over to Cole; it looks like his portal shenanigans are done. "Looks like Cole's done. Be vewy vewy quiet. We're hunting vampires."

Well that sure was some plot

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"You know, Warden," Elbridge comments as he runs, "I distinctly remember hearing that we were here for a vampire." He extends his hand to indicate the direction where Mel'Karshok's lightning struck. "That...is not something that a vampire can do. Furthermore, it would appear that the building is on fire. If you would kindly elucidate..."

Not strong enough for a compel, but "I Know You Know I Know You Know" is making El snarky about being less-than-informed.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 2, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

One man races past them after the vampire, yelling something about a demon; Turner takes off at a sprint and shouts something as he rounds the corner. Elbridge pays little attention to either of them - the roof of the church is on fire, and with a demon outside there's every likelihood that people have taken refuge inside.

He looks about for a river, a drainage ditch, a puddle of stagnant water, anything - and then he sees it. A shiny, red fire hydrant, not five yards from the church steps. More than sufficient for his purposes.

The air begins to ripple and shimmer as if everyone was underwater for a few seconds as Elbridge weaves his spell, thickening to near-opacity for an instant as he releases the energies.

"Govardhanas!"

For an instant, the hydrant does nothing; then, it rumbles, shakes, twists, and ultimately, erupts into a geyser, a landbound waterspout twisting into the sky. El snaps his fingers, and a localized yet torrential downpour begins, mercilessly dousing the flames.

Scholarship to declare a working hydrant nearby: --+/ +3 = 2 - success. Summoning a 7-shift water evocation and marking off the third mental stress box; tagging the hydrant for the Disc roll: ++-+ +7 = 9.

pre:
Applicable Aspects: The Forbidden Sage, I Don't Care Who Started It..., 
Overworked and Underslept (tag)
Mental:		(X) (X) (X) ( )

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 1 -> 2

Elbridge is less than enthused at the prospect of leaving his friend to explore the church on his own, but there seems to be a dearth of better options. "Good luck, Rick. Try not to die..." The wizard races around the corner, bracing himself for the worst - this "Mel" is certain to be a dire threat, even if they've already dealt with two of her kind, and...

...oh.

Not a Greater Demon.

Arch Demon.

Compel on "The Forbidden Sage" to prioritize Mel above everything else. Lore at -1 for supplemental (moving behind the church): +/+/ +4 = 6. Let's all gather 'round and hear the story of Mel'Karshok.

pre:
Applicable Aspects: The Forbidden Sage, I Don't Care Who Started It..., 
Overworked and Underslept (tag)
Mental:		(X) (X) (X) ( )

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 2

The fact that they have yet to run away tells Elbridge that the others have no idea of what it is that they face. He clears his throat. "Turner, Miss Hirsch, Miss..." He scowls slightly as he realizes that he doesn't actually know the third person's surname. "...Ada. Please stop baiting the Queen Regent of the Second Circle of Hell. It's poor form in a number of different ways."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"No, if we run she'll just hunt us down and kill us. There's no time to explain - we all have to focus our power into a single, mighty counterspell or she'll simply vapourize us as soon as she breaks free. One of us needs to handle the channeling itself. I'm fairly good at counterspells, but if one of you is better prepared, then please step forward. I'm not joking when I say our lives depend on it."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge nods in approval at Ada's actions. He was about to do the exact same thing, and he's glad to know that he won't have to do it alone. He races past Mel, charges over the flattened door, and turns around. "Turner! Get inside, now!" But Turner isn't moving. Is he...yes, he's actually standing his ground against an Arch Demon. Frustrated, Elbridge summons his energies and gets ready to pull the recalcitrant Warden inside...and then realises with horror that the threshold works both ways.

"TURNER!" he yells. But there's nothing more he can do, and he can't afford to delay any longer; not with three other lives at stake. Cursing, he runs deeper into the church to search for Warden Cole.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

El skids to a halt next to Cole and...the headless body of a priest. Unless he's very much off the mark, this is likely the same priest whose tongue is needed to complete the ritual. Furthermore, there is a rather angry-looking man holding a machete. It seems quite probable that, barring intervention, this will not end well for anyone.

"Everyone, we need to get up front, now! That's an Arch Demon out there, and every second we waste is a second that Turner can't afford!!!"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge can't quite bring himself to look at Cole; not now. Each of them asks for me to protect the other...and I chose. Now for the hard part: living with that choice. He glances in the general direction of Ada. "Elbridge Hardley, White Council. Diviner and demonologist. I'm an old..." He looks to Cole, then back to Ada. "...colleague of Warden Cole."

There will come a time, and very shortly, when Elbridge must remind Cole of his duty, and of the doom about to befall New Orleans; that hope is not yet lost, and that their job is only done when Mel'Karshok is an epitaph.

Now is not that time.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge shakes his head sadly as he looks about the parking lot. "That was an Arch Demon. Very few people have experience in dealing with them because most stories that feature them end with 'and then everyone died horribly'. But yes, if we're to have the faintest chance of stopping this 'Mel' and saving Wa- er, Turner, then we need to learn every last scrap of information there is to know about her." Unless it's too late to save him. Unless she's already killed him - but no. Even Hellfire leaves some ashes. Cling to hope. Stay strong. Don't think about any of the myriad other dreadful ways a Queen of Hell would have to destroy somebody.

A thought occurs to him. "Warden - that pin...Turner was wearing it, wasn't he? May I see it?"

Cole’s hand balls into a fist around the pin. For a second, Elbridge is sure he’s about to get punched in the face. But the Warden just drops it into his hand instead. “This is my fault.”

Elbridge takes the pin. "No. This is exactly Mel's fault, and nobody else's. When one faces an Arch Demon, there is no such thing as a clean victory." So saying, he holds up the insignia, closes his eyes, and then opens them...ALL of them.

:stare: posted:

The Sight attacks! /--+ +3 = 2. Elbridge defends! Disc /--+ +5 = 4. No stress!
Elbridge rolls to comprehend! Lore --+/ +5 = 4. Reveals aspect "Proof of Trust."

Turner worked magic on this himself? Elbridge opens his third eye wider and looks closer yet.

:stare: posted:

The Sight attacks! -//+ +4 = 4. Elbridge defends! Disc -++- +5 = 5. No stress!
Elbridge rolls to comprehend! Lore +--- +5 = 3. Reveals aspect "Aura of Braided Fire."

The wizard wrenches his gaze away and blinks, and the physical world returns. "Cole, Turner seems to have worked a good deal of magic upon this - we could use it to locate him."

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2012

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 2 -> 3

*rrrriiiiiiinggg*....*rrrriiiiiiinggg*

"This is Elbridge Hardley, calling in an emer-"

"Hardley. H-A-R-D-L-E-Y."

"How did I get this number? I'm bloody White Council, that's how!"

"Elbridge Hardley, 5 November 1856, Demonology."

"...E-L-B-look, I'm the keeper of the Blacklist!"

"Yes, thank you. I'm calling to report a status update on the New Orleans assignment. The situation is more severe than Captain Bellworth knows - the plot to destroy the city appears to be masterminded by none other than an Arch Demon!"

"A specialist? Yes, I'll contact them straight away. How should I get in touch with them?"

"...Alright, 504-6...you imbecile, that's my bleeding number!"

Compel on "Nobody from Nowheresville" for the White Council to be totally unhelpful.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 3

Still fuming at the Council's utter lack of helpfulness, Elbridge decides to try his usual approach. He takes a few minutes to clear his study and re-check the wards around the Blacklist, then begins to shuffle his Tarot deck. With each movement, he reaches out with his will, feeling out the strands of probability and causality and attaching these threads of fate to the cards. The second component of the spell is easier to manage: Elbridge takes Turner's pin and uses it as a lens for his anger and frustration with the Council, with the job, with Turner, and with everything else that's been grating on his nerves lately.

The Celtic Cross is one of the most commonly-used formats for Tarot readings. It takes the form of two intersecting lines of three cards each, with the middle cards of these lines crossing each other, and four additional cards in a vertical column to the right of the cross. In this format, there is only one significator, which is also the subject of the reading - in this case, Hugues Turner. Death.

The card crossing the significator indicates the principle unknown obstacle to completion of the task at hand. Elbridge draws, and the trouble is revealed. Eight of Coins. Prudence. Odd, but the curator has put enough power into this spell that it should last through multiple readings, and he intends to learn everything he can before making any decisions.

The third card, placed below the significator, indicates the source from which this problem arose. Some diviners use different orderings for the outer cards in the cross, but Elbridge has found that it's generally best to perform these readings as one originally learned them. He registers not even the tiniest iota of surprise when the root cause proves to be The Devil.

The fourth card is the left arm of the cross, a detail from the subject's past. Inverted Two of Coins - no longer a surprise, but still unpleasant to look at.

The fifth card, placed above the significator, refers to the purpose of the reading. It can, at times, also reveal unconsidered perspectives or unforeseen consequences of an undertaking. In this case, however, the Inverted Eight of Swords is quite clearly the goal. Modern, new-age interpretations of the Eight of Swords often deal with restraint, introspection, and excessive concern with societal norms, but Elbridge tends to hew closer to its original meaning: bondage and domination, or escape from such in the case of the inverted card.

The sixth card forms the right arm of the cross, and is a factor that may make or unmake this future for good or for ill. The Inverted Seven of Coins denotes hasty or ill-considered action that almost invariably ends in failure. It seems that some telephone calls will be in order once he's finished here.

The remaining four cards are arranged bottom to top to form a staff. The seventh and lowermost card represents the tone in which the question is being asked. Eight of Staves: urgency.

The eighth card represents the influence of friends, family and allies. Six of Swords: truth, knowledge and discovery. Something to be found, or learned.

The ninth card suggests either a course of action or a possible cause for concern. The Queen of Coins, as a person, represents maternity, warmth, material comfort, and friendliness. The significator is Turner himself, and the only woman of note in his life at the moment is an Arch Demon. The notion of her being gentle, maternal, and comforting strikes Elbridge as flatly absurd; far more likely that the card's other meaning of material home is in effect. Something about Turner's home...but what?

The tenth card, the tip of the staff, is the outcome of the projected course of action. Judgment: in the context of everything else Elbridge knows, this can only mean Mel's Armageddon spell.

With a sigh, the wizard puts on a pot of coffee and begins a new reading. Significator: Death, again. Obstacle: Seven of Coins - patience and waiting. Source of conflict: The Devil. The past: Six of Swords. Goals or other perspectives: Inverted Eight of Swords. Wild card: Five of Cups - disappointment, guilt, emotional crisis and mistrust. Context: Eight of Staves. Influence of others: Ace of Staves: passion, spirit, and self. Guidance or hopes and fears: Nine of Swords - revelation. Outcome: Judgment.

So time is the principle constraint, and one or more of the others is about to let guilt and grief drive them into doing something foolish and harmful. Furthermore, Turner evidently found the crucial knowledge and hid it in his apartment. Something about creativity, or self, or...hmmm...

New reading. Significator: The Hermit! Obstacle: Eight of Coins. Source of Conflict: Five of Cups. The past: Five of Swords - loss. Goal: Seven of Staves - victory. Wild card: The Tower - crisis. Context: Eight of Staves. Influence of others: The Devil. Guidance: Nine of Coins - gain. Outcome: Death.

And then the coin drops. The meaning of the readings becomes clear. Scarcely daring to believe it, Elbridge picks up the phone and dials Warden Cole's number.

Disc to add "Attuned to the Cosmic Vibrations" : /++/ +5 = 7. Conviction to add "Getting Hugues Turner Back So I Can Bitch Him Out Myself" : /+/- +4 = 4. Tagging both aspects to meet the 8-shift requirement for the divination. Channeling one shift at a time, can't fail the Disc rolls.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

At least it seems that Cole is taking his advice seriously. Much as Elbridge would like to tell him everything, Turner had sworn upon his power to come clean. Elbridge may not have made any reciprocal oath to allow him to be the one to speak up, but a vow such as Turner's is still nothing to trivialise.

For a cross-town trip, the bus would take too long, and since Turner isn't around to invite Elbridge past his threshold, it would be foolish to waste power opening a portal, to say nothing of the dangers...although, now that he considers it, cutting through the NeverNever in the midst of a demonic apocalypse is still likely to be safer than traveling through New Orleans.

With a sigh, he gathers his Tarot deck and other equipment, puts a different shirt on under his Hawaiian one after cleaning both with a bit of water magic, and calls a cab.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge hands the cab driver a few bills; to his dismay (but not his surprise), the man speeds off without bothering to make change. The wizard briefly contemplates putting together a mild entropy curse to teach him a lesson, then decides that his driving is dangerous enough without throwing magic into the equation.

2425 Louisiana Avenue. Cole and JR haven't arrived yet, but then they may not have a taxi driver who believes that speed limits are beneath their dignity. Elbridge walks up to the building and raps smartly on the door out of habit before remembering that Turner of course isn't in...yet there's still movement behind the frosted glass. Scowling, he feels in his pocket for his focusing crystal. This could be something innocuous, but he has no intention of being caught unawares if it isn't.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

The door swings open to reveal a staggeringly inebriated Miss Hirsch holding a wine bottle filled with...a pixie? Elbridge blinks. "Er, could we perhaps...I'll just...come in then." He winces as he steps across the threshold, but it can't exactly be helped: as far as he knows, she has no power to invite them in, and the sooner this is done, the sooner they can recover Turner.

"I'm sorry. I know this is all highly irregular, but we have good reason to believe that Turner discovered the demon's True Name and hid the information here. Do you have any idea as to where it cou-"

Elbridge trails off as something catches his eye. Dangling from the ceiling fan is an immense tome, ancient in appearance, bound in black leather. No...it couldn't possibly be that simple...could it? Reaching up, he gently takes it down from the fan blade. "Miss Hirsch...what is this?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge holds the book open and shows Cole the page with the demon's name scrawled in blood. "Warden...this wouldn't suffice to defeat her in and of itself, but it might very well be what we need to find her weakness. If she knew that he had this, it could be the reason that she took him."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Out of the NeverNever? But how...no. Get him back first, ask questions later. Elbridge looks about for anything that will suffice for the divination. Nothing in the apartment seems suitable. He looks out the window to see if there are any trees with branches that could be broken off...

Wait.

Window.

Elbridge slowly shuffles out of Turner's apartment, carrying the curtain rods from the windows and the shower. He sets them on the grass; now for the salt. As a wizard's home, there's a decently-sized jar of the stuff, but it's half-empty. A quick check of the pantry yields the solution. Elbridge exits the apartment again, this time carrying a jar and a shaker apiece of garlic salt and seasoned salt. He assembles the rods into a tripod and ties them together with twine, then uses the salts to make a multicoloured circle around the tripod.

Alright, time for Cole to do his thing!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 3 -> 4

"You go find Turner, and I'll dig up whatever I can find on our arch-demon." Elbridge waves down another cab, this time making sure to keep an eye on the meter and get an amount as close to exact change as possible ready for when he gets out.

---

Back at his shack, Elbridge curses as yet another one of his books proves to hold not even the barest shred of information on Mel'Karshok. His patience wearing thin, he puts down the tome and moves on to the next one in the stack.

Compel on "I Know You Know I Know You Know" to put researching Mel before going with Cole. Lore for research: ---/ +5 = 2. Krysmbooooooot! :doom:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 4

One bus trip later, Elbridge walks into the New Orleans Public Library. He smiles at the receptionist as he goes upstairs and into an empty reading room. A board hangs on the wall; Elbridge takes a piece of chalk and traces an arrangement of mystical glyphs and sigils on it. He draws back his hand, braces himself, and then sinks his fingers into the board, which now ripples like soft putty. Peeling aside reality like a curtain, he climbs into the opening and pulls it shut behind him.

Lore 5, Disc 5 = automatic success on opening the portal

Beyond the portal is a glittering alpine forest to put even Pixar's most talented renderers to shame. Unlike the path behind the liquor store, this patch of Winter has few monsters to fear; two Wardens keep it well-patrolled at all times. Elbridge's stroll through Faerie is almost leisurely as he walks along the mountain trail. It's almost with regret that he sees the silver-cloaked wizards taking a break, a short, sturdy, auburn-haired woman and a tall, weedy fellow with blue eyes and stubble beginning to show on his chin.

Elbridge nods to both of them as he approaches. "Ah, Paul, Bree. How are the girls?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

With a wave to Paul and Bree, Elbridge pushes open the immense door and clambers through. The lower hall looks for all the world like something one would expect to see in any respectable university, and for the first ten paces it may as well be. It's only when El takes the eleventh and twelfth steps on the corridor wall and the thirteenth on the ceiling that the library's more exotic nature becomes apparent.

He stops facing a blank stretch of wall and gestures to the hallway below. Several of the doors swim through the stonework, swarming Elbridge like overzealous wait staff at a cafe; he opens one, and the others drift away, sulking. The next room is a yawning chasm with an exit on the far wall high above him. El begins to whistle a rising chromatic scale, walking upward along the notes as he goes until he's safely through the door. In a hall of mirrors, he has his reflection pick up a key and pass it to him through a Chinese window; he swims across a river of darkness, carefully avoiding the pockets of light that can drown him; a startled calendar squawks at him and tries to take flight before he pins it with a magical net and plucks today's date from its crest.

Finally, Elbridge floats in an endless expanse of void, a single book with a silver lock drifting beside him. He undoes the clasp with the key, dips the date-quill into a bottle of the liquid night, and writes an entry announcing his arrival at the library's front desk. He looks up to see the void replaced by a dimly-lit room with a hawkish-looking woman glowering at him from behind a desk. "Ms. Sterling," he acknowledges as he pulls his worn diploma from a tubular case.

Setting the paper on the counter, he unrolls it to reveal the faded ink declaring Elbridge Hardley a graduate of Oxford University and a Master of the Arts in Anthropology and the Natural Sciences. Pressing his thumb to the seal and whispering a quick incantation prompts more writing to appear, adding to his credentials the titles of "Certified Wizard," "Oracle-Class Diviner," and "Grade 5 Demonologist." "I hereby lodge a formal request for access to this library's restricted materials."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Yes. Eurik's 'Circle and Rank: Order in Demonic Society'." Elbridge takes a few sheets from a stack of papers impregnated with particles of lead and rosemary, as well as a quill and a bottle of iron-gall ink. For obvious reasons, it is not permitted to remove restricted texts from their designated section; such is the power of the words contained within that the information must be copied with the most magically-inert media possible.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Carefully replacing the writing materials, Elbridge follows Ms. Sterling into the restricted section. In answer to her question, he replies: "An Arch Demon has found her way to the mortal plane, and is evidently attempting to recreate the doom which befell Sodom and Gomorrah on New Orleans. To this point, she's proven impervious to everything we have at our disposal; moreover, to the best of our knowledge, she has nearly everything that she needs to perform the spell."

Elbridge looks at the librarian gravely. "Without the information on this scroll, it's almost a certainty that she will succeed."

Lore ++-+ +5 = 7 to get the scoop on Mel from the scroll.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge blinks at the last line under Mel'Karshok's entry. "My, this information is remarkably...current," he comments. And quite close to a Third Law violation, he thinks. El points to the section on Mel. "This one - do you know if she's referenced in any other sources?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge rubs the bridge of his nose. "I must say that I'm inclined to agree with Turner and Mr...." He evinces another twinge of annoyance at not knowing the man's surname. "...J.R. Whatever information this 'Murray' could give us, it would be certain to would cost us dearly." He nods sagely at the discussion of the possibility of tracking Dennis through his stolen parts. "Unfortunately, it is more than likely that they've been buried or cremated by now."

El thinks for a moment "...but if we could acquire an old garment or two belonging to one of the victims, we could almost certainly find a hair for the tracking spell. Do we know any of the victims' acquaintances? No, wait, stupid question...do we know any of the victims' acquaintances who would be willing to speak with us after everything that's happened?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Warden, from what I've heard, this box seems very, very important. I could go with you if you'd like to reinforce the wards; what could happen if Mel gets her claws on it...well, it doesn't really bear thinking about, does it?"

• Locked thread