Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 1

(Rolled a 10 on the d10. :confuoot:)

Hugues grumbled as he got out of the taxi. Since the sun was going down now, and who knew when the "announcement" was going to end, Hugues couldn't take his bicycle or else he'd probably but noticed by police for "avoiding curfew" on his way back home. It's not that he minded taking the taxi, it's just he had to bribe the driver to ignore his age and not ask questions. Looks like he'd have to pester Jenny for a ride home.

Fortunately the people at the House of the Rising Sun knew enough about Hugues by now that they just let him pass without worry. Fairly quickly he spotted his apprentice.
"Oh good, you're here already. Did you get me anything-" Hugues began, as the bartender slid over Jenny's drink, and an apple juice box. "Cute." He looked around the building to see if he recognized anyone else there.

IRC dicebot was down, so I used Castle. Investigations +2 roll, got a 0.
Fate Pointing it up "Seen A Million Faces" to reroll...and got a -2.
:argh:

Well, at the very least there were lots of people crowded together and being lower to the ground made it harder to see their faces. "Well, looks like the booths are already taken. You see a good place to sit?" He reached for his juice box and started sipping it like a grumpy child.

quote:

Name: Hugues
High Concept: Clone of a WWII Warden
Trouble: Only 10 years old.
Aspects: My Life for the White Council
-------- Fifth Lawbreaker
-------- Protector of the Small (and "Aunt" Jenny)
-------- You Only Live Twice
-------- Seen a Million Faces

Base Refresh: 8
Adjusted Refresh: 2

Skills:
+5 Lore
+4 Discipline
+3 Athletics, Resources, Weapons
+2 Deceit, Investigation, Scholarship, Stealth
+1 Alertness, Conviction, Empathy, Endurance

Stunts:
Technomancy: Lore for Computer use. Technomancy allowed for Thaumaturgy.

Powers:
Lawbreaker (5th) [-0]
The Sight [-1]
-Soulgaze [-0]
Thaumaturgy [-3]: +1 Crafting Strength, 4 Enchants.
Refinement [-1]: +4 Enchants
Elementary Magic [-0]

Focus Items/Enchanted Items: 8 Enchanted Item Slots
-Not-Quite Warden Sword (2): "Brute force" 6-shift counterspell, or ignore 6-shifts of Armor/Block. Weapons:2 Sword as well.
-Grow Up Potion: 8-Shift Biomancy to add the aspect "All Grown Up," but also Mild Physical Consequence "Not used to being tall."
-Left Shield Gauntlet: +3 (Air) Block that lasts two exchanges, and covers Hugues' Zone.
-Right Arrow Gauntlet: +6 (Fire) Attack.
-Portable Veil: 4 Power Veil (Spirit Block) that lasts 3 Exchanges.
-Two unused Potion Slots.

Stress:
Physical ()()()
Mental ()()()
Social ()()

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1

(:suspense:)

When Laura turned away, so did Hugues as he tried to not choke on his own juice box. What the hell is Laura Bellworth doing here?! Part of him wanted to just find a friendly corner of the club and throw up the most powerful veil he could, but that would quite likely break the Accords...which was probably all that was keeping him alive right now if she did recognize him. Did she recognize him? No, that wasn't likely, he never met her before he joined the White Council. Then again, he still wasn't fully sure how much the White Council knew about his Death Curse, so it probably wasn't good to be risky about this. Of which staying in her sight was clearly.

Hugues calmed himself for a second, noticing Ada here too. That wasn't good either. He smiled weakly to greet her, and then started tugging on Jenny's sleeve. "Auntie, can we please sit down already," he said in his whiniest child voice that he used to blend in with the rest of the immature children at his school, "I'm hungry." Hugues hated talking like this, and hopefully Jenny and Ada would catch on.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

When Jenny, Ada and Hugues finally sat down at the empty table, Hugues abandoned the whininess, but he was still obviously nervous. Probably more nervous than the rest of the people here. "It's a useful cover when I need an adult," Hugues explained to Ada, "or just to make myself seem even more like a child when convenient." Of course he wasn't going to admit to Jenny that he was actually relieved the juice box helped his cover.

He kept his eyes focused on the door, watching as the people came in. When he spoke, Hugues kept his voice down. "That woman sitting there all alone is a Warden, and I recognize her. She was the captain of my squad back during World War II, when we fought against the worst necromancer Nazis this world has probably ever seen. You know General George S. Patton? They never met, but they would have been fast friends." When the man walked in and closed the door behind him, Hugues could feel himself shrinking down in his chair. "That man's a Warden too. Don't recognize him with that cloak up. Once he drops the hood I might recognize him. Oh what I would give for a good Veil right now..."

EDIT: Rolling Stealth since Mitsuo's listening in three posts down. +-/- +2 = 1

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 21, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1 --> 2

mistaya posted:

Compelling Hugues' trouble "Only 10 years old" to make him stand out in a crowd. Take a fate point!

When Captain--no, Commander? When did she get the promotion?--Bellworth announced the end of the Vampire Wars, Hugues couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched. He turned around and saw the second Warden looking at him for a second. Richter Cole...so he finally got out of the White Council Bureaucracy? Good for him.

But Bellworth's response to the loud Australian man at the booth had him bothered somewhat. More Wardens in the area? Hugues wasn't too worried for himself, as long as the Wardens were other Wizards Hugues didn't really have much contact with before his death. But he was concerned for the others. Although he was fairly confident none of them had broken any of the Laws since he met them, some of the other Wardens might think differently.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2

Hugues was rather relieved to be getting out of there. He felt like he had already drawn too much attention today and didn't want to cause any problems. Besides...he still really didn't know anything on Cole. But first, more important things. "Oh, Jenny, Dad said you had to give me a ride home." Dad, of course, being Hugues.

As he looked around the parking lot for Jenny's car, he couldn't help but notice something in the hedges there. Something a bit unusual. Of course he had to take a closer look.

(Investigation: -+++ +2 = 4! Sweet.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues slows his pace as he creeps close, hearing the sounds of...something eating? The moment the ghoul looked up, Hugues raised his right arm, and activated the gauntlet to send out an arrow of flame straight at the ghoul, while letting out a shout to alert the others behind him.

Right Arrow Gauntlet: Weapons:6 Fire Attack. Aimed by Discipline.
Discipline: -/+- +4 = 3...)

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +3, no armor
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small (and "Aunt" Jenny)
Physical:	() () () 
Mental:		() () ()
Social:		() () 
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	(), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	(), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	()

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Skipping Chrome since he vanished...)

The drat freak was faster than Hugues anticipated. His spell was too hastily cast, and it didn't help this thing moved with unexpected speed for a creature of it's obesity. It would have hit it, but Jenny shoved him aside at the last second and took the hit for him, the foolish girl! She didn't have the same amount of experience he had.

"Jenny! Get back!" Hugues shouted, drawing his sword, pointing it at the ghoul to draw it's attention...

(Weapons +3 Maneuver to inflict "Distracting Sword in your Face" against the Ghoul's Athletics.
Hugues: //-/ +3 = 2... Ghoul: ///++5 = 6! Maneuver Fails.)

...but the ghoul seems more focused on J.R. than him.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +3, no armor
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small (and "Aunt" Jenny)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 1

Hugues kept his on Jenny as she dug through the woman's purse, also noting what was in there. Typical stuff, ID, credit cards---wait, credit cards? A (fully grown) wizard couldn't use those!

"Jenny, I'm going to need to borrow this. I can't have you hexing the evidence." Hugues took the purse from his apprentice's hand. He looked through it one more time and found a set of car keys, likely belonging to the car still sitting in the parking lot. The others could probably search the car without destroying it, but if it had a cell-phone or a laptop or anything made in the 21st century, he'd need to get it isolated before the others accidentally hexed it.

(Investigations +2 to search the car (and the purse again) for stuff belonging to the victim, particularly techy stuff that I can safely get out of the way.
Investigations: +--/ +2 = 1... Not this time sucker. Fate Point on Clone of a WWII Warden (Hugues is in Warden mode right now) to bring it to a 3 total!)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 24, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The cell phone would have to wait until he returned to his lab, so it went in her purse for now. The screaming and shouting from the House of the Rising Sun forced Hugues to get out of the car and figure out what the commotion was about.

And all he could do was stand in stunned silence at the execution. As a Warden before, he had executed a few warlocks himself, but this one felt different. Probably because he knew Polly and had tried to keep an eye on her to make sure she didn't destroy more minds.
For now though, he steeled his heart. Work had to be done.

"Warden." Hugues announced as he stepped closer to Cole. "I found the victim's cell phone and she," gesturing to Jenny, "found her purse. There's some items in there that are technologically delicate and would be ruined with prolonged exposure to practitioners, like yourselves. If you'd like, I'll safely record all information in them for your use in your investigation as to who killed this woman. I get along well with technology."

(Edit: Skill changes. +1 to Althletics (now +4), -1 to Scholarship (now +1, he's only Elementary), and switching Empathy to Contacts.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 24, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1 -> 0

Hugues didn't say much on the ride back with Jenny. After a quick thank you and good bye, he found himself standing alone outside his apartment complex. With a smile he walked to one of the trees on the edge of the property, and whistled.

(Invoking Protector of the Small to summon a friendly Pixie.)

A soft red light descended from the tree, and right on top of Hugues' head. "Oy! Wot chu be wantin at this 'our? Some of us Folk are tryin' to sleep!" Hugues reached up and plucked the red light with his hand, dangling the pixie in front of his face.
"Enough. Nidawi, I have a job for you."
"Ooooh," Nidawi laughed mischievously, "someone's a grumpypants this evenin'. Well then, wot is it?"
"There's a new Warden in town. Follow him and track his movements around the city. Don't let him see you or know you're following him. Then, when he goes to sleep for the night, wait for me outside my window and knock. I'll let you in the Threshold and you'll tell me everything you've seen."
"So I just follow this bloke for ya then? Wot's in it for me, eh?"
"After that, I'll order a pizza for you as payment. If I like the information, I'll even let you pick the toppings."
Nidawi paused, considering this. Following some mortal around would be a lot of work. On the other hand, Pizza. On the other hand, she could get caught and the Warden would be angry. On the other hand, Pizza. "Alright, I'll do et!"
"So you promise to fulfill out our contract?"
"I promise!"
Hugues cleared his throat.
"Oh fine. I promise I promise I promise! There! That's four times! Three plus one for you being a grumpypants."
Hugues let out a sigh. Sometimes these small folk were more trouble than they were worth. "Warden Cole is out in pursuit of something that killed a woman earlier this evening. If you go now, you can still catch him. Remember, don't get caught."
"Aye aye, cap'n!" With that, Hugues let go of the pixie, and she flew off in a faint red streak across the night sky.

With that over with, Hugues went into his apartment, and took out Pamela Nazarene cell phone, and placed it next to his computer, turning both on. As the computer gradually worked it's way through the startup functions, he drew a magic circle around the two, and began work on the ritual.
Sure, he could go through and manually type up everything he saw on her cell, but that took time that he really didn't want to deal with. Besides, this was more fun. The ritual was simple. The spell would read in all of the recent calls, texts and contacts on the phone and output them into a few simple .txt files on his own computer. He'd have to do the Voicemail by hand and ear, since that data wasn't actually stored on the phone.

(Technomancy Ritual. Desired Effect is to replicate a 3-shift (one to connect the computer and phone, two to transcribe the data as plain text) Computer Use roll and decrease the time for it by 2 shifts.
Complexity is 5, equal to Hugues' Lore so no extra preparation is needed.
Non-combat circumstances, so rolling probably isn't necessary.)

A command console appeared on Hugues' computer, as countless streaks of lightning zipped across from the output port on the cell phone to the USB port on the computer. The arcs of electricity were either red or blue, representing the 0's and 1's respectively as the data transferred between the devices.. The sound was mildly annoying, like grating two pieces of sandpaper together, but after a few minutes the snapping sounds finally stopped with a Ding! from the computer, and a file named "Phone.txt" sat on the desktop. With a smile, Hugues opened it up, to see if he recognized any of the names listed.

(Contacts: //-/ +1 = 0...)

Probably shouldn't have bothered. She put everyone in with only their first names or their nicknames. Still, hopefully this information was useful to someone. With a sigh, he opened up a new .txt file and began listening to the voicemail, to transcribe those by hand.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 27, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 0 -> 2

Refresh! Fate Points go to 2!

Hugues threw a pillow at the window. He had no school this morning, and wanted to sleep in. Damned pixie. "It's morning...I told you to report at night!" With a sigh he opened the window. "Well you're here anyway. Get in."

mistaya posted:

Nidawi found Cole near the docks. He was staring out over the water at the boats. There was a crystal in his hand but it was dark. He stood there for a while then went back to an office building a few blocks away and went to sleep.
---insert investigation flashback/plot dump here---

"It doesn't look like he found what he was looking for then." But the docks? He wasn't sure of any supernatural factions that owned that place. Either way, Hugues got up to his fridge, and toss a frozen pizza into the oven. "You'll just have to wait a bit. It's morning and the stores aren't open yet." Once the pizza was done, Hugues shooed Nidawi out, showered and changed for the morning, and printed off the data on the cell phone. A copy for himself, a copy for everyone else, and he still had the copy in case the paper copies got lost.

The cell phone had to go back to Nazarene's prayer group with the rest of her belongings, and he recalled Jenny was planning on going there with Ada. Looks like someone needed a babysitter for the day. He called Jenny up to let her know he was tagging along, and set out on his bike.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 27, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 -> 3

RPZip posted:

Jennny walks into the hall, with Ada and Hughes tagging along behind. Seeing the kid's playroom, her face breaks out into a smile. "Great! Hey, Hughes, why don't you go check out the playroom while Ada and I talk to the group?"

mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues's "10 years old" to be sentenced the playroom. Take a FP!
The look on Hugues face was that of utter betrayal. She might as tripped him while running for their lives from some hideous monster, damming him to be tortured in the fires of Hell for all eternity. Or at least thats what the next hour was likely going to feel like.
Might as well make the best of it.

Hugues put on his best fake smile for the women running the daycare, reaching out with a quick childish hug for a greeting, and did the same with the other children. If they believed he was just like them, they would act like normal and treat him like a child. The actual hug was to check for magic. It was very doubtful that any of these people were something other than mortal, but it was worth checking out just in case.

(Lore +5 to use The Sight (Wizard's Touch) to detect a "spark" of magical-ness on the daycare people. Deceit +2 to pretend to be an innocent child and pick up on rumors.
Lore: +--/ +5 = 4... Deceit: -/-+ +2 = 1...)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3

Hugues made a mental note with this girl. In about ten years she'd probably grow up and start to develop some decent power that could be worked with. He'd have to tell Cole to keep an eye on her as well so she could find someone to take her in as an apprentice when that time came.

"Uhh...maybe later..." It seemed like the daycare women we're really paying close attention to the children. Would be a great time to slip out. Hugues walked up to the two women watching the daycare, asked where the bathroom was, and then began snooping around. He got his Portable Veil ready just in case someone did see him in someplace he really shouldn't be.

(Stealth to wander around without being caught. Investigations to look into if Nazarene was poking into stuff she shouldn't have, and died because of it.
Stealth: ++-/ +2= 3! Investigations: -/-- +2 -1...)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Locked. Blast. Well, he could find a way out of it. Probably. Last resort would be crying like a scared little child, but Jenny would never live that down. Hugues paid no mind to the bar, and went straight for the office, and took a look around.

(Investigations: -+-- +2 = 0... :argh:)

Nothing too important here, other than standard office supplies. Hugues didn't bother poking around too much with that. Someone would probably get overly suspicious if someone was poking in her office.

But then a thought came to Hugues, and he pulled out he medallion of St. Jude. Maybe her fascination with that Saint was nothing more than mundane curiosity, but he couldn't help there was something more to it. Hugues took a tight grip on the medallion, swinging it around carefully while working a little divination magic on it. And for good measure, he started humming.

(Simple Divination to detect other items of St. Jude in the basement area.
Base Power 5 (Lore). Attempting to use Performance to sneak two extra points in.
Performance: +//- = 0. Oh well.
Thaumaturgy (rolling 1 shift at a time): /-+- ++-/ --/+ ++/+ --++ No ---- so it's a success.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 4

Mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues' "seen a million faces" to Sight that box.

Hugues took in a few deep breaths. He'd done this before. Only a fool would open the Sight unprepared.

(Discipline Maneuver to give Hugues "Zen" for a few exchanges.
Discipline: -++/ +4 = 5!)

And then he opened his third eye.

The Sight, Round 1 posted:

Carefully, Hugues readied his right arm with it's gauntlet, but kept it out of his Sight so he could get a better look at the box.

(Lore to assess.
Lore: //++ +5 = 7!!
"Guarded by the White God's Power" and "Something's Alive Inside"

The Sight attacks!
Attack: ///- +3 = 2... Defend (Discipline): ++++ +4 = 8 :woop:, no stress inflicted.

I choose to continue the Sight.)

The Sight, Round 2 posted:

(Lore to assess.
Lore: -//+ +5 = 5.
"Feels Human"

The Sight attacks!
Attack: +-/- +4 = 3... Defend (Discipline): +//+ +4 = 6!!

Hugues closes the Sight.)

It's difficult to ignore something whimpering and begging like that, but Hugues had to cast it aside and close his third eye. Prolonged exposure was sure to drive anyone insane, and with that thing whimpering, he could feel the Sight pulling a bit harder. Part of him wanted to open it and set it free, but if it was sealed with God's power, then it was best if he didn't mess with it. However, the imprisonment of something like this was something that he couldn't ignore. More information would be needed. Just who was Nazarene?

Wordlessly, he returned to the stairway and the door at the top. The door was locked, and he REALLY didn't want to start banging on it. He couldn't do much spontaneous stuff with magic, but what little power he could draw out was good for really simple stuff.

(Untrained Burglary to try and fiddle with the door, using Elementary Magic to play with the tumblers in the lock.
Burglary: +-/+ +0 = 1.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 28, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 4

Hugues quietly returned back to the daycare. He had accomplished his duty here, and found more than he expected. He considered going to where Jenny and Ada were, but since they had forced the illusion of an innocent child on him, he had no choice but to accept his role and not complicate their plans.

(Just going to sit and wait for those two to finish up.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

At the sound of his name being called, Hugues nearly bounced upward. It was about time. He could only play ponies for so long. Either way, he didn't need to fake the look of relief at seeing Jenny again.

He waited until they were far enough away from everyone else before asking about their investigation. "You guys find anything good? All I found was the office of Andy Nazarene down in the basement of that place...probably the victim's brother or husband. Didn't find much else." It was best to keep the bit about the box to himself.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 29, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"Demons, huh?" Hugues thought for a second. That thing in the box felt human...but...was it a demon?

"So I take it this Father James fellow is informed of the supernatural? Good. I'm not dealing with pre-schoolers again." He said with an angry sigh. "Although remind me to tell Cole that one of the girls in that daycare has a spark of magic power in her. She'll probably need a teacher in 10 years, and I'm not doing it. I have enough on my hands keeping you out of trouble, that is when you're not abandoning me to a daycare."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I don't regret setting that damned thing aflame when I could finally stop using it. Besides, it's not like I care about the fro--"

BOOOOOOM!!

Hugues turned and faced the building after the explosion, and pulled out his sword once he heard the roar, and was about to rush in when he remembered Jenny and Ada. It was probably safer for all of them if they stayed together. "Hurry up then!" he shouted at Ada, "We need to make sure whoever's in there doesn't die. Hurry!"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 4 --> 3

"And leave you to die? Hell no!" Hugues shouted, raising up his right arm and firing a fire arrow straight for the Licker Demon.

(Activating Fire Arrow Gauntlet. Weapons: 6 attack aimed by Discipline.
Discipline: -+// +4 = 4. Not good enough. Invoking Big drat Heroes Clone of a WWII Warden to get +2 for a total of 6 to hit, with Weapons:6)

pre:
Defense: Athletics +4.
Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, You Only Live Twice
Physical: ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:  ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
Items Used: Fire Arrow Gauntlet

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 1

Hugues steps forward, bracing his right arm as he aims at the demon now sitting ont he wall. "Come on...work!" It takes a bit of extra willpower, but he gets another Fire Arrow out of the gauntlet. The demon looked like it was ready to attack, and Hugues was also positioning himself forward, to keep Jenny and Ada out of harm.

(Re-Activating Fire Arrow Gauntlet (1 M Stress). Weapons:6 attack aimed by Discipline.
Discipline: /--/ +4 = 2... Invokeing Clone of a WWII Warden again for a reroll.
Discipline: -+// +4 = 4. Also Invoking Doused by Holy Water to satisfy the Catch.)

pre:
Defense: Athletics +4.
Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, You Only Live Twice
Physical: ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:  (x) ( ) ( ) 
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
Items Used: Fire Arrow Gauntlet

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues stared at his apprentice in pure awe. She...threw the baptismal font? The entire font? Jesus Christ, he missed being able to do that.

Cole at least knocked him back to reality. "Uhh...yeah, I can do that, I've got a cell." He starts to step out, and takes a moment to look at all the destruction. "Such a shame the water-heating system under the baptismal font blew up. This looks like a nice church."

Once he was outside, he waited by the cars and turned on his cell. As he waited for the drat thing to boot up, he started wimpering. He hadn't quite mastered fake crying yet, but he could simulate the sounds close enough.
"Y-y-y-yes? Nine one one? Hello? Something blew up at our church, everything's broken and there's water everywhere. Father James is hurt real bad, Auntie says we need an ambuwance..." It killed him on the inside to butcher the English language like that. "Please hurry, Father's a real nice man, I don't want him to die! I don't want him to..."

(Deceit to act like a crying child and make this sound real.
Deceit: /+/- +2 = 2.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

When the ambulance left, Hugues pulled out Nazarene's cell phone and dug through the contacts list. He remembered Jenny and Ada mentioning a Sula woman, and he assumed she had some kind of leadership position. She was also probably Informed. As he called her up, he got stuck with her answering machine; probably for the best.
"Hello there, this is Hugues...uhhh, you probably don't know me but I'm a friend of Jenny and Ada whom you spoke to earlier today. We left to see Father James and uhh...look, things were bad. Supernaturally bad. I'm not sure what happened but when we got there the church was a wreck, and Warden Cole was there with Father James. James is currently at *insert local hospital name here*. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I figured you should know as soon as possible. Bye."

poo poo, more sirens? Hugues pulled out his own cell-phone and quickly called up JR and Mitsuo, leaving identical messages for both of them.
"JR/MITSUO! Umm, can't talk much. We're on the way to Cole's office after we saved his rear end from a demon. You two might want to head over here too, and let us know what the hell you've been up to. Bye."

With the messages done, Hugues quickly turned off the two phones and pulled out the Portable Veil quickly running to Jenny's car. With the Veil wrapped around him, his own vision was blurry and he ran straight into the side of Jenny's car. He opened the back seat door and used a finger to lift the veil enough so he could see clearly. "Oh, hello Warden. Uhh...front seat." He then ran around to the other side, rushed in and only once he was finally buckled up, took off the Veil. "I called Sula, vaguely let her know what happened, since I don't know how informed she is. JR and Mitsuo are going to meet us at Cole's office. Anyway, the cops are showing up, go go go go go!"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1 -- > 2
REFRESH!

"Uhh, yes please. Something unsweetened please, they feed us way too much sugar at school."

Hughes sat down at the table and laid his head on it. Fighting demons could wear out a child fast. He looked at Jenny and Ada, and kept his voice down. "If Cole asks anything about my background, let me do the talking. If I tell something that contracts our history, just shut up, and smile and nod."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues took his cup of tea, and sipped it. Ooohhh...this was good stuff.

"What are we now, Fae?" Hugues asked, raising an eyebrow at the even exchange of questions. "But alright, I've got one. How did that demon get in the church in the first place? Churches have powerful Thresholds, and I find it hard to believe that you invited the demon in."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 3

mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues' "My life for the White Council" to be really affected by the offer.
(Conviction to have the mental fortitude to not spit tea everywhere in shock.
Conviction: ++/- +1 = 2!)

He managed to hold back spitting, but he certainly coughed in surprise when Cole offered the deputy badges. Ever since his death, he had been helping the White Council by fighting it's enemies from the shadows, just as he had his entire life.

And now he was getting the chance to have his service be recognized by the White Council again?

"How can I refuse? I accept." He spoke those words without hesitation, but then he looked around at the others, and to Jenny. They, of course, would not share the same devotion that he had. "Jen. You don't have to follow me if you don't want to. I won't hold it against you if you don't want to get involved."

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Empathy to read Jenny's inner turmoil. Deceit to hide own feelings.
Empathy: +++/ +0 = 3!! Deceit: +-// +2 = 2.)

Hugues looked at Jenny carefully as she agreed to accept the badge. She was hesitating, uncomfortable with...something. Even though he told her not to, he had the feeling she was agreeing only because he was doing so. But for now, Hugues kept it to himself. He'd have to speak with her about that later, probably on the car ride back.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 4
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

"We'll come with you. It'd be stupid to go into any vampire den, of any colored Court." Hugues said, putting the badge in his pocket. Although he was glad to have it, it was probably best if he didn't wear it publicly. Then he looked at Jenny with her badge. "Jenny, I'm riding with you again. I think your car is a bit new than everyone else's, so it's best if we don't cram too many walking hexes in it."

(Self-Compel on Protector of the Small (and "Aunt" Jenny) to sit down and have a talk with her. For the following conversation, RPZip's stuff is in italics.)

Once inside the car, Hugues examined the deputy pin, trying to see what kind of spell Cole had woven into it. A pointer and beacon style divination sounded most likely, but he couldn't help but be curious. After a few minutes of driving, he put down the pin and looked up into the rear view mirror to look at Jenny. "How come you accepted the pin?"
Jenny grips the wheel, thinking hard about the answer before responding. "I hate it. That demon in the church scared me, scared me more than I've been in a long time. But not being there won't help me either. I'm not about to let you... guys go get in danger without me."
"That's why I'm concerned. Sure, today you threw a baptismal font to crush a demon, but not everything's going to go down so easily. There's tougher or faster stuff out there. I'm concerned you're going to freeze out there, paralyzed by your own fear. In a case like that, it'd be safer for everyone if you weren't on the front lines."
"You think I don't worry about that too? But I'm not the liability I'm most worried about, Hughes - YOU are. You keep forgetting that you're not some badass Wizard anymore, you're only 10 years old. I saw the way you stared at that pin, Hughes. You're worried about me freezing up? Fine. I can accept that. But that's not half as worrisome as seeing you run out into the front time and time again. You aren't who you used to be, and if you can't remember that you WILL get killed."
"I know I'm not who I used to be. I've known that fact for the five years I've been stuck in this body. And although this body isn't as strong as it used to be, I've had more years on the battlefield killing horrific things that don't know when to die than you've been alive. I've fought against things that would kill your comrades one second, and then turn them into zombies against you the next. Things that just don't know when to die after you've killed them a dozen times already. What I lack in power, I make up for experience fighting some of the worst nightmares in the world. I know you've got that power, but you don't have that experience."
"And how do you expect me to get that experience? By hiding in my room while you risk your life over and over again? By pretending nothing is wrong and the world is all right, and if I just do my job and am a good person nothing bad will happen to me? Or to the people I care about? I know that's not how the world works, Hughes. You're the one who SHOWED me that wasn't how the world works!"

Hugues paused for a moment, taking in what she said. He couldn't help but chuckle. "They grow up so fast...my little apprentice is ready to take on the world... Alright, I'll let you on the front lines with me, but I'm putting a few rules on this. First off, no heroic sacrifices. That's how I'm still alive today. Well, you know what I mean. I don't need you jumping in the way like you did to that ghoul. Second, you've got plenty of power, but not a lot of magic theory to back it up. We're going to need to work on your spell diversity, teach you some new tricks. Third...well, fine, I don't have any more rules for now but there will be more. Understood?"
"...fine. But if you're adding rules, I'm adding one too. No charging off without me. I know I'm your apprentice, but there's not going to be any 'let's not tell Jenny, she might get hurt' out of you. Not now, not ever. If we're doing this, we're doing this together. No matter what."
"That's only fair. " Hugues let out a sigh of relief, and closed his eyes. "Either way, this was bound to happen. I probably can't be your master for too much longer anyway. Puberty's going to be kicking in soon, and that's not going to be fun to go through again."
Jenny shifts her eyes to Hughes, holding him in her gaze for a long moment, then slowly turns back to the road and restarts the car.
After a few more minutes of driving, Hugues spoke again. "Stop at that grocery store...there's some important things we need to pick up."

(Resources to go on a garlic shopping spree.
Resources: +++/ +3 = 6!! Must have been on sale.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Might to lift a sack of potatoes garlic.
Might: /-+/ +0 = 0. Good enough to lift.)

Hugues had a little difficulty lifting the sack of garlic out of Jenny's car, and also had a few containers of pre-diced garlic. It'd been a while since he took on a Black Court, and he wasn't sure which would work better. Plus, it could be used for food. "They had it on sale. Didn't know how much we'd need." He explained, and then reached into the bag and pulled out two particular bulbs which he had carved symbols on the outer layer. "These two are special, so watch out."

(Declaring two Garlic Potions Grenades. At Lore 5 and +1 Crafting Strength, I get 6 shifts of power for each.
Concussion Garlic Grenade: Force/Garlic elemental Weapons:6. Aimed by Discipline or Guns.
Fragmentation Garlic Grenade: Air/Garlic elemental Weapons:4 hitting an entire Zone. Aimed by Discipline or Guns.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I got just the thing for that." Hugues said, digging through his personal bag, pulling out a grey blanket. "Just touch it with a bit of your magic and it'll turn into a veil. It's hard to see through on the inside, but if you place it on your head just right, no one from the street should see you...although anything inside would still see you."

(Passing Portable Veil to Ada.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner The Kid Fate Points: 4

(Stealth for general sneakiness.
Stealth: ++-- +2 = 2.)

As Hugues walked in, he felt something off. Why was this place locked up and so empty in the first place? The blood probably added a bit to the creepiness factor as well. Part of him wanted to whisper orders for Ada and Cole to investigate the blood stains, but he held back knowing they would probably do that without him saying anything now.

"I'm going to check out the copy machines before you lot break them. Jen, cover me." He passed her the CGG (Concussion Garlic Grenade) and carefully crept closer to the copy machines. He doubted there was anything here, but it was best to check anyway.

(Investigation on the copy machines for anything out of place.
Investigation: +/-/ +2 = 2.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 7, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"Flooded you say? Hmm...hold on one second." Hugues crept closer to the basement, sword in one hand, and one of the plastic containers of diced garlic in the other. When he reached the bottom of the steps, he opened up the container and scattered the garlic through the water. Vampires hated running water, and although this was pretty stagnant, the garlic would make it much harder for them. At the very least, it wouldn't make the smell any worse.

(I'd like to make a Maneuver to change the Scene Aspect "Flooded" to "Flooded (and Garlicy!)", but I have no idea what to roll.
???: +++- +? = 2?)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 4->5

Hugues stood back while JR, Mitsuo and Cole handled the heavy lifting, he wouldn't be able to help with that. Instead he noticed Jenny looking at Ada's hand. From the way Jenny was acting, it seemed like whatever was up with it couldn't be explained by science.

"Here, let me take a look at it." He said, using a quick glowing spell on his gauntlet as he took her hand in his. A vampire attack could happen at any second, so he needed to be quick.

(Self-Compel on Seen a Million Faces to use The Sight.
Discipline Manuever for "Zen" in preparation.
Discipline: ///- +4 = 3... Probably good for a non-sticky tag on the first round.)

And then he opened his third eye.
:stare:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 5

:stare: posted:

(Lore to assess what the gently caress is going on.
Lore: -//+ +5 = 5.)

Mistaya posted:

Hugues has seen this kind of curse before, and it is a nasty one. A slow petrification curse, starting at the left hand and spreading up the arm and over the chest. Deadly within hours, but reversible if caught early. The tiny hands clutching Ada’s wrist seem to be slowing it down, but even as he watches the lines are trying to force their way past. A counterspell is the only way to undo this curse, and it must be performed before the lines kill her by petrifying any internal organs.
Discovered aspect "Petrification Curse."

(The Sight Attacks! Hugues defends with Discipline!
Sight: +/// +4 = 5!, Discipline: -+-- +4 = 2... Re-roll via Zen, +/-+ +4 = 5! Hugues takes no stress damage!)

"Oh? Thats...uh...Jenny? I need you. Someone's put a curse on this hand. The origin point seems to be right...here. I need you to focus the strongest counterspell you've got at the origin point."

(Not assessing next turn. Making a Discipline Maneuver to give "Co-op spellcasting" to Jenny, and I'm passing the Petrification Curse free tag to her as well.
Discipline: -++/ +4 = 5! Maneuver successful.

The Sight Attacks! hugues defends with Discipline!
Sight: //-/ +4 = 3..., Discipline: /+// +4 = 5!
If Jenny's spell works, I'll close the Sight this turn.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 5 --> 3

:stare: posted:

Petrification Curse evolved into "Fading Curse!"
Discovered Aspect "Lil' Ghost Ada!"
(Lore to assess what the gently caress is going on.
Lore: /+// +5 = 6!)

Mistaya posted:

The curse is completely gone, though Ada’s hand will probably feel stiff for the rest of the day. The girl was obviously a ghost, one of considerable power. Luckily she seems to be on Ada’s side. If it wasn’t for her help the petrification could have killed Ada before she knew anything was wrong.

(The Sight Attacks! Hugues defends with Discipline!
Sight: -+/+ +5 = 6!, Discipline: -+-- +4 = 2... Re-roll via Seen a Million Faces, ++-/ +4 = 5! +2 from Clone of a WWII Warden makes 7!!!)

When he closed his third eye, Hugues breathing was heavy and labored. It took a lot to resist that. He raised his hand for a moment, looking at it. It was small again. The hand of a 10 year old child. Hugues fought back tears. This is why he took care to never Sight himself.

"Jenny...good work. You got it." He said, trying to normalize his breathing again as he loooked up at Ada. "Ada...did...uhh...were you ever pregnant?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 5 --> 3

Hugues lowered his head in shame at Ada's comment. Right, this was a bad time to figure out what was with that ghostly version of herself.

There were sounds of splashing and a gunshot from downstairs, so Hugues rushed down and saw Mitsuo, Cole and JR taking on a pair of worn and ragged adults. Wait...did that one have half of it's face blown off? Zombies. Dammit, he brought all this garlic for nothing!

From his careful position at the bottom of the stairs, he raised his right gauntlet, and fired.

(Surprise! I'm using the Weapon:6 Fire Arrow again! Targeting ZomBum.
Discipline: -/+/ +4 = 4.)

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +4.
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small, You Only Live Twice

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 2

(Skipping ChromeGnome for this. Mitsuo's kind of bogged down anyway.)

"Jenny! No! These are just zombies, not Black Court...ugh, don't waste the garlic on them!" What we need to do is find that beat--the beat! He could hear it pounding every once in a while, but where the hell was it coming from?

(Investigations to figure out where the beat is coming from.
Investigation: //+- +2 = 2. Invoking Clone of a WWII Warden to call upon his Kemmlerite experience. 2 + 2 = 4!!)

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +4.
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small, You Only Live Twice
Used: Flame Arrow Gauntlet

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The moments after Hugues drew focus to the beat that kept the zombies going all seemed to blur together. Ada crushing down the door, and Jenny almost destroying what was inside.

And right now it was hard to see if she already did destroy the body of that poor boy. And here she was vomiting, asking to fetch her medical kit. Hugues didn't really have much of a choice. If the boy died, he was partially to blame as her master. Of course, there was always the way to make sure he didn't die...

He ran outside, pushing that thought out of her head. No...she couldn't do that. Not again. Hugues grabbed Jenny's bag with the medical kit in it, and rushed as fast as he could back to Jenny. Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease don't let this boy die. Because if he knocked on Death's door, Jenny would try to yank the boy back.

And Hugues would know how to do it properly this time.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 11, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 3

(Self-Comepling Protector of the Small to give Jenny a hand.)

As Ada stepped back, Hugues stepped forward placing his own hand on her shoulder. "You're not alone in this." He said, looking at the boy. "You lack the theory. I'll guide you through this, but this is your doing." His voice was calm, although not gentle. He was frustrated and angry with her for being so reckless, he might as well channel it for good purposes.

(Lore Maneuver to give Jenny a boost.
Lore: /++- +5 = 6!.
Also taking the mild Social consequence "Goddammit Jenny" to give her another +2 boost. With both tags she's at 8 for the Complexity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 2

Hugues watched in silent terror at the magic he just helped Jenny use. This was the exact magic he had fought for decades to stop. Yet it was unavoidable, for the sake of the boy.

"Get some blood in him. I'll get it moving." Hugues said, sitting besides the boy as he placed his hands on the the boy's chest, and started compressing.

(Athletics to use CPR.
Athletics: -/+- +4 = 3... Not good enough for the difficulty, so invoking Protector of the Small to get another +2 for 5 total.)

• Locked thread