Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Ada duSang (FP: 1)

((1d10 result: 7.))

As soon as Ada entered the blues hall, the leaden atmosphere within descended upon her like a hundred-ton weight. Some people seemed to be at ease, but she knew better: they just knew how to hide their unease better than the ones who didn't.

Not like she was in a position to judge anyone. She hadn't slept much since the last week. The dreams she'd had had been troubling on the best of days. On the others, she'd run on brief catnaps instead, better than going through the painful experience of a whole night's sleep.

Making her way towards the bar, Ada requested the bartender's attention and ordered a glass of champagne. "Evening." She said, to nobody in particular, before giving Jenny and Hugues a nod of acknowledgement. Each of them had pulled her out of a fire, and she was glad to know that they had dropped by the House too, to listen to the announcement. "Quite a crowd today, isn't it?" She asked, sipping her glass as she looked at the people assembled at the blues hall once more.

quote:

Name: Ada duSang
High Concept: Sixth Generation Blood Magus
Trouble: Walker On The Wild Side
Background: Living My Sister's Life
Rising Action: Killer Queen
First Story: Bloody Crazy and Bloody Minded
Guest Star 1: The Weight of a Word
Guest Star 2: Marked For a Grim Fate

Skills

Superb (+5): Conviction
Great (+4): Resources
Good (+3): Presence, Discipline, Endurance
Fair (+2): Intimidation, Rapport, Lore, Athletics
Average (+1): Contacts, Burglary, Investigation, Weapons

Physical Stress: OOOO
Mental Stress: OOOO (+1 Mild Consequence)
Social Stress: OOOO

Powers:

Lawbreaker (First): [+0]
Evocation: (Blood, Spirit, Air; +1 Blood Control) [-3]
Blood Magic: [-1]
Thaumaturgy: (+1 Tracking Complexity) [-3]
Wizard's Constitution: [+0]

Base Refresh: 8
Adjusted Refresh: 1

(Note: The elements in Ada's evocation array are the standard ones, but Water is replaced with Blood, indicating her attunement to Blood Magic. Focus items for both Evocation and Thaumaturgy are yet to be determined.)

Rote Spells:

"Gisofanía": Buffets the area with powerful winds, making it harder to move. Places the Aspect Blasting Winds on the Scene, lasts a single exchange.

"Suru Haita": Concentrates blood in a single spot, hyperpressurizing it, then launches it forward with enough power to punch through any defenses, much like a water cutter. Attack Evocation with four shifts of power (producing a Weapon: 4 attack). Needless to say, not a spell that sees everyday use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Ada duSang FP: 1

Rolling Contacts, to see if I recognize the crowd gathered at the blues hall. Dicebot's result: +-00, so the end result is +2.

Finishing her glass with one gulp, Ada nodded and smirked. "I'd be delighted." Her study of the crowd finished, she followed Jenny and Hugues to their table. "'Auntie'?" She said, arching an eyebrow as she sat down. "I didn't know the two of you had a blood relation. Guess you learn something new every day."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 1

"Got it." Ada said, as Hugues explained both his cover and his jitteriness. "So that means she favors action and quick, violent responses, doesn't she?" She sighed, and anyone who looked at her carefully might have noticed her tense up, slightly. "That's just great. Good to know we can probably expect them to go with Standard Warden Procedure, in that case. Means that if they start barking orders and acting like they own the place, we won't have any reason to be surprised." Leaning back on her chair, Ada looked at Hugues. "Think you can make an educated guess 'bout what they're planning to do? Besides maybe making a show of force, I can't even begin to guess what they might have come prepared for."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada gave Jenny an incredulous look for a moment, before lifting a finger to her lips in a pensive expression. "That is..." She started, hesitantly, giving Hugues a look. "...Not entirely a bad idea. Might as well go ahead and test the waters, see what kind of guy this new warden is.". She gave Jenny an encouraging smile and nodded. "Go right ahead. If anyone I know can make a good first impression on people, that's you, Jen."

Moments after Jenny stood up and left the table, Ada leaned forward a little and gave her a sideways look. "Wanna bet on how well that attempt at friendliness is received?" She asked Hugues.

Transient People fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2012 around 23:44

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Goddammit." Ada hissed, as the ghoul emerged from the hedge and launched itself towards them. "Looks like that Black Court idiot's pet is on the loose." She glared at the ghoul, as her right hand began to glow a dark crimson. "Even a Black Court freak like your master should know better than letting a monster like you run wild."

She raised her hand. "Time to teach you a lesson. Cosmigonón!"

Above the ghoul, the air stirred and acquired a crimson tint. Moments later, it came crashing down on the monster's head like a sledgehammer.

Tagging Creeped The gently caress Out for a base roll of +5. Dicebot's result was //-/, so +4...then invoking Killer Queen, on the basis of attacking with murderous intent, to boost the roll by 2. Final result: 6!

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +2, no armor.
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen.
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( )
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Is that so? Hmm." Ada said, glaring at the wounded ghoul with supreme contempt. "So that means we have to stop at beating the crap out of you instead of leaving a bloodstain on the ground, to get something out of you."

She looked at the other four people in the parking lot. "Well. That's the plan, at least. I don't think you'll be so lucky."

pre:
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen.
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hopping over the fence, Ada strode over to where J. R. had pinned the ghoul down. She gave him an icy glare and kneeled down. "Not so brave now, huh?" Her tone was dangerously sweet, like sugar of lead. "Now let's set the record straight. You're going to tell us what went down in here and why your Master let you roam free like this and we're going to hand you over to the new warden over there. Maybe, if he's feeling kind, he'll let you walk away."

Adat's tone lowered as she stared at the terrified ghoul's face - close enough to his eyes, at least. "Or," she continued, her voice cold and hard, "You can refuse. And then, we take matters into our own hands. It's your choice...and your life."

Rolling Intimidate to convince the ghoul to spill the beans. Foxxbot's result is ///-, and I'm tagging J. R.'s Aspect and the Consequence, for a grand total of +5.

Transient People fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2012 around 19:11

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 0

"Dammit, Zack." Ada sighed, as she bent forward to rest her head on her oak desk, keeping it as far away from the phone and the curses coming through it as possible. She'd spent the last few hours calling people, looking for any potential leads on the mysterious Reginald the ghoul had mentioned, to no avail. Undaunted by the difficulties in finding anything about the mystery man, Ada had turned to slightly less reputable sources. Zachary Wayne was an old 'friend' of the duSang family, emphasis on the quotation marks. An old drunkard, Zack was rude, hard to deal with, and occasionally unreliable with his information, but he seemed to know everyone in New Orleans. The things that he could turn up by digging in the dirt were amazing, when he wasn't too buzzed to bother with the legwork. This was one such time, or at least it looked like it.

Ada lifted the phone again and put it back against her ear. "Zack. No, wait a second, listen to me, stop swearing like a sailor, old fart. Look, dig something up and I'll pay triple the usual fee if you can find anything on this guy." Ada smiled as the old drunk instantly perked up and started paying attention. Sometimes, all people needed was the right incentive. "No, I'm not kidding. Find something on this Reginald guy and the cash is yours. Yeah, got it. I'll be waiting."

As Ada was putting down the phone, it began to ring again. "Well, that was quick." Picking the phone back up, she spoke into the tube. "Hello? Oh, Jen, it's you. Yeah, I remember about it. Sure, no problem - happy to lend a hand." She said, her face bearing a light smile. "Meet you there then, or am I hitching a ride with you?"

Rolling Contacts to see if Ada can dig anything up about the Reginald the ghoul mentioned and what he was doing talking to Warden Bellworth. The first roll was a terrible //--, of -1, so I'm invoking Walker on the Wild Side to call up one of Ada's less reputable acquaintances for info and rerolling. The end result is a much more acceptable //-+, or +1, the skill's default value. Not bad, but far from ideal.

Additionally, to get some extra FP, self-compelling Weight of a Word to have something *interesting* happen to someone Ada is indebted to. The FP will be received at a later time when the compel actually goes off, of course.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada tensed up a little at Vanessa's accusation. For a second, it looked as if she was on the verge of starting a fight - she looked cross, defensive, and ready to shoot a barb of her own right back.

And then, she took a deep breath and sighed, letting the tension drain from her body before nodding.

"Yes. I was, and still am connected to a gang." Ada stood up a little straighter. "We've turned a new leaf, though. We don't hurt anybody anymore. I just look out for the younger boys and girls and make sure they don't get into trouble. That the kids don't start playing with fire and getting hurt. If that's what I'm being accused of, then consider me guilty as charged." Ada's expression was half-resigned, half-proud. The Shadows still had a very bad reputation from the times Rook had been at the helm, but for the last few years, Ada had been hard at work trying to turn things around. Sometimes, the only way to deal with suspicion was to come clean and hope for acceptance. She crossed her fingers and waited.

Rolling Rapport to Open Up, revealing Ada's Killer Queen aspect, but with a positive spin. Foxxbot's result is a dreadful ---+, or +0, so I am invoking Weight of a Word to reaffirm Ada's sincerity and add 2 to the roll, taking it to its default of +2. Easy come, easy go.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Rolling Conviction to defend, at +5. Foxxbot's result is /++-, for a total of +6! Ada resists Vanessa's insinuations.

Ada exchanged a glance with Jenny, then sighed. "We were there when Pamela's body was found. We saw her remains, eaten by a ghoul like so much meat. There was barely enough of her to tell she had actually been a person at some point. The Warden had to deal with more pressing affairs at the moment, and we wanted to help find the person responsible for it." Her voice and her eyes softened a little. "We still do. Think about it, there's nothing for us to gain by making a mess here and trying to get some answers. The only reason we're here - the only reason...is because we think you might be able to help us find out what happened to Pamela." She gave Vanessa a long, even stare. "Will you help us? Or will we have to look for answers elsewhere?" She asked.

Rolling Rapport to appeal to Vanessa's indignation at the loss of Pamela. A base of two and a roll of --++ produces a result of...+2. Better hope she rolls low...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada nodded. "Better us than someone else. We'll know what we're getting into, and if we risk our necks, our odds will be better than if somebody else tried to go it alone. Go on."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Demons? Looks like there was quite a bit more to Pamela than we were expecting." Ada put a hand to her chin, thoughtfully. Something about Mother Sula's words told her that there was something that she was overlooking. It took her a moment to realize what.

"Yesterday, there was a priest at the club who headed your way. Did he try to speak with Pamela?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Smirking, Ada gave Jenny and Hugues a sideways look. "That's a big if, don't you think? You know what they say about people like us, living life on the fast lane."

---

As Ada approached the Shrine of St. Jude, she was taken by surprise by the sudden explosion of the windows. Exchanging a glance with Jenny and Hugues, she lifted a hand, warning them to stop and dashed back to the car. "Hold on a second! I'll be right back!" She said as she opened the door and snatched a little bejeweled case from the dashboard. She was glad to have decided to take it with her after the incident yesterday. It looked like her hunch about trouble brewing had been correct...though a part of her wished it hadn't. The other part, less controlled part, however, was practically ecstatic at an opportunity to take out some toys. As she rushed back toward Hugues and Jenny, she smiled humorlessly and muttered to herself: "Sometimes, I don't know if we've got perfect or terrible timing..."

Transient People fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2012 around 11:28

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

While Hugues and Jenny began dealing with the demon, Ada reached for her case. She struggled to keep her breathing calm in spite of the adrenaline pumping through her veins as she drew a blackened knife with a ruby on its hilt, not bothering to take the golden chain that was paired to it. It was familiar to the touch, in spite of not having seen use in quite some time.

Carefully, Ada grasped the knife in her left hand, and raised her right. "Dealing with a monster like this will require power...lots of it. And I know where to find it.". With a quick, precise motion, the knife caused a small gash to appear across Ada's right arm. She ignored the jolt of pain that came with it - it meant absolutely nothing. Not if she got the result she was looking for.

Instead of flowing out, the blood remained contained at a single point as Ada stared at it intently, concentrating, preparing it. Once she felt the time was right, the blood rose up through the air until it was at her eye level, expanding horizontally much further than it could have under normal circumstances. Keeping the spell together was a major effort, but it was something more besides that: It was exhilarating. She hadn't worked with this much power in a long, long time, and the feeling of it was intoxicating. She was in control of it. Absolute control of an ancient, powerful force.

She turned her mind away from that overpowering feeling and back at the here and now. There was work to do. Glaring at the demon, Ada growled. "You don't belong here. You have no place in this world. Go to Hell! Suru Haita!"

The blood rushed forward with the speed and force of a raging tsunami. Panting, Ada watched it as it headed towards the demon with a wicked grin on her face. "Let's see how you can handle this, ugly."

Alright, time to have some fun. Assuming I can tag both the Consequence and the Aspect Jenny has placed down to boost my roll and satisfy the Catch respectively, Ada invokes nine shifts of power, taking a Mild Rush of Power consequence to reflect a slightly frayed mental state, and rolls Discipline. Declaring a Focus Item of Offensive Blood Control +2 here, and Foxxbot's result was --++, so the end result is...+8! This requires taking Backlash, so I take a hit of physical stress. This church is going to get wrecked by the blood blast more than by the demon, I think...

pre:
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen, Walker on the Wild Side.
Physical:	(X) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		( ) ( ) (X) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	(Rush of Power, Mental)

Transient People fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2012 around 01:13

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

For a moment, Ada was ready to refuse - something in her gut made her feel bad about spending more time in close proximity with the Warden than strictly necessary. Maybe it was an inbuilt mistrust of authority from her earlier years. Maybe it was an odd hunch. Whatever the case, it was there and it didn't feel good, not at all.

Then, she shook her head and nodded. Cole had saved Father James' life from the demon until they had arrived, and he'd done his part in putting the beast down. There was nothing wrong about him, nothing to deserve that suspicion...and besides, Hugues and Jenny couldn't exactly mince words with him like that. She nodded. "No problem."

The journey to Cole's office left Ada feeling a little lightheaded. As the rush from the power channel wore off, she started to shiver a bit - it took a lot out of a body to bring forth as much energy as she had. In fact, there had been some absolutely spectacular discharges that night. She wasn't sure whether to feel pleased about how quickly Jen and Hugues had pounded the demon into mush, or worried that it had come to ravaging the church that badly in an effort to put it down. There wasn't a point in worrying about the consequences, because they sure as hell were coming, and probably hard. Holding her head on one hand as she felt the beginnings of a headache coming on, she looked at Cole.

"Great opening nights for the new job, huh? Can't say I envy your position. poo poo chose a pretty great time to hit the fan."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada's expression softened a bit at Cole's gesture. Maybe he was the sort of decent fellow New Orleans had been asking for for quite a while. It was too early to tell, but little details like this one were the sort of things to watch.

Cole's words jogged Ada's memory, though - J. R. and Mitsuo had been at the parking lot, and if she knew them at all, they had probably done some investigative work of their own. She made a note of asking them once they were done talking with the Warden. No sense in making a mess right now.

"Nobody trusts a Warden." She said, bluntly, before quickly adding, "Must make things hard. Everybody who might know something is too used to hearing stories about greycloaks kicking doors down and brandishing a sword to lop people's heads off. And the ones who aren't too scared to talk are probably the ones that go scaring people when the sun goes down. Did the Captain set you up with some friends, or did she just hand the city over and left you to fix the mess?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"This is a good start." Ada said, nodding. "Helping the Father will spread out some goodwill, if nothing else. Will take a while to earn people's trust, but you gotta start somewhere."

After a moment, she spoke again, her voice a bit quieter. "Way I see it, there wasn't much of a choice back there. You were trying to help the Father with the Big Nasty, and we were around to help. Maybe you'll bite our heads off someday, but I'll take a maybe over the hundred percent chance of that demon." She smirked, humorlessly, before continuing. "Besides...you can't walk away from something like this. If you run away after hearing screams and watching crystals explode like that, you'll just keep going back to what you could have done once the news roll out about the people you left behind because you were too scared to help. And I don't leave people behind." There was a quiet intensity to Ada's last few words. What she had said before was sincere, but this was something more: it was a part of her, something she so deeply believed in that it had been internalized completely.

"Your name's Cole, right?" Ada said, looking at the Warden. "'m Ada. Pleasure to meet you."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Gonna pull a fast one on him." Ada said, nodding. "Got it, but don't spin too big a yarn here. No point in lying more than the strictly necessary right now." She understood Hugues' need to keep his cover up, but thought he might be acting a bit paranoid.

Then again, she wasn't trapped inside a ten-year old body. Maybe he had a point.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As she finished sipping her tea, Ada put the cup down and gave Cole a level look. "Why get into something like this?" She said, repeating Cole's question. Her voice was barely above a whisper, but it still had enough conviction to draw attention to itself.

"Last night, not two minutes after the other Warden's claim that 'Order Would Be Restored', we found a woman's recently deceased corpse in the bushes, still in the process of being eaten by a ghoul. It wasn't even that far out of the way. You saw how close to neutral ground the scene was. Some bastard couldn't keep himself from having some fun with her out in the open, and then left that fatso ghoul to take care of the evidence." Ada raised her voice a little, without even noticing it. "She has a younger sister. She was angry and confused and afraid, and lashed out at us when we came to ask her some questions. When we left, she was crying."

Ada's voice became icy. "It's not right." She said. "People shouldn't be getting picked off left and right, as if someone had declared open season on them. Somebody needs to go out there and ask some questions, find some answers, and then drill some respect into the skulls of the ones responsible for this. Respect, and fear." She looked at Cole. "That'd be you, thinking about it, but...you can't. Not when everybody is afraid of saying the wrong thing to you and facing a summary execution. Somebody who knows how to get around the block and find the answers you need is necessary."

She shrugged. "Why not us? New Orleans is our home, too. When your home starts getting dirty, you need to take out the trash.".

Ada sipped her tea again before speaking. "My own question, then. If there were two men at the church, what happened with the other one? There weren't any signs of him, though we didn't exactly have a lot of time to check."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

In spite of her previous words, when the pins came out, Ada hesitated. She wasn't afraid, or scared of the responsibility the pin would place on her shoulders - in fact, she was glad to see that Cole considered her trustworthy enough to act as his deputy, along with the others. What worried her was the possibility of trading a bad reputation for an even worse one. Her mind flashed back to the meeting with Mother Sula and Vanessa and the latter's suspicions, then a little further forward to the words she had exchanged with Cole on the way to his office. 'Nobody trusts a Warden'. If nobody thought that a Warden was honest and willing to help, who would trust a Warden's lackey with a past more checkered than a chessboard? Was Cole's backing worth the extra suspicion the badge would earn from onlookers?

Ada shook her head. Maybe it wasn't the easiest path to take, but it was the one that she *had* to follow. She'd been the one who'd pointed out the difficulties the Warden would face, and that she wanted to see the streets of New Orleans made safe. With a single motion, she picked the pin and placed it on her clothes.

"Count on me."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

In response to Jenny's question, Ada gave the door a careful look. It didn't seem very sturdy, and smashing through it would be a simple enough matter...but that'd cause a ruckus, and the last thing any of them wanted was to involve people who didn't have any business being close to a vampire nest.

"I think I might be able to do something about it." She said, after a moment. "I'll need a way to avoid notice, though. Can't exactly clear the way if people see me tinkering with the lock."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 2

Ada smiled as she took the blanket. "If we make it out of here in one piece, I'll owe you one." Setting the blanket off, she approached the door under its cover. It didn't stand a ghost of a chance: it had been a while since she'd last picked a lock, but the lessons the street had taught her hadn't faded away that easily.

With a light shove, Ada opened the door and stepped in. "You better be ready for us, bloodsuckers, 'cause here we come." She murmured as she scanned the store.

Rolling Burglary to break in under cover of Hugues' blanket. Foxxbot's result is +++/, for a total of +4! Then, taking a compel on Walker on the Wild Side to rush in without waiting for the others. Things are about to get...interesting.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Goddammit." Ada muttered as she rushed toward the door, opening her case as she approached. As she opened the door, the golden chain she'd wrapped around her arm tinkled slightly. "The place is full of blood and no one's home. Just what else could go wrong?"

Rolled Lore to determine what the chill's effect might be...and got a ---- roll, for a miserable -2. Ada is not aware of what is about to happen, not by a long shot.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As she stared into the darkness below, Ada hesitated. She wanted to find the Blacks' hiding spot, but not even she was reckless enough to charge down darkened stairs. Before proceeding, she'd need some light. Fortunately, she had just the thing for it. Lifting her right arm upwards, Ada concentrated on the chain for a moment. An instant later, the chain began to glow, emitting a red light not unlike the sort that would illuminate a nightclub. With the light revealing the way down, Ada descended the stairs, keeping an eye out for any sudden movements.

Investigation roll, just in case. Foxxbot result: ++--, or +1.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Stopping at the last step before the water, Ada looked down at it and shuddered. "Looks like a pool of blood with this light..."

She stood on the stairs immobile as she assessed the situation. There was no point in progressing further: the water would make her mobility limited in the best of cases, while any vampires who still remained wouldn't mind it in the least. She was about to go up, but the door caught her eye. With a word, she infused more power into the chain, intensifying the light's strength, and took a good look at it.

Investigation: Roll of ++//, skill bonus of +1, and a final result of +3. Should be good enough to spot what the door blocking object is.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"They're barricaded in. This is going to be rough." Ada told herself as she climbed up the stairs back to the ground floor. Once there, she dismissed the light and spoke up.

"The basement is flooded. We can still navigate it, but if we go in we'll be sitting ducks, and it'll be hard to do any magic with that much water all around. Worse, the door leading further in is blocked. I don't know how we're planning to deal with it, but that basement...I've got a bad feeling about this."

Transient People fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 06:54

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As Jenny channeled power into the curse, Ada gasped. A million small sensations came rushing back to her, itches and minor pains and pure, simple sense of touch. Her hand was stiff and a bit hard to move, but if Hugues had been right about his diagnosis, it was a small price to pay for avoiding a curse. "Thanks, Jen, I owe you one." She whispered, as she massaged some feeling back into her hand. As she busied herself with that task, Hugues question caught her offguard. Turning to face him, she frowned.

"I...what...why would you even ask? What does that have to do with this situation, for starters?" She said, glaring at Hugues, her tone defensive. Of all the strange things to worry about right now...

"It's nothing you should be asking about, you know." She said, her tone defensive. "You want to ask private questions, do it when we're not on a raid looking for some bloodsuckers, understood?" It was less a question and more a statement: Ada's entire posture, body language and tone indicated that, if Hugues tried to press the issue further, he wouldn't like the way things would end.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As the zombies began to rise, Ada reached for her knife with a half-instinctive motion, as she looked down at the trail of blood that had led them there, potential fuel for a spell that could help counter the water's grounding effect. She would have immediately jumped into the fray, but the slowed-down movements of her knife hand stopped her before she could begin weaving a spell. This was, and always had been, a trap, just as she suspected. Trying to simply destroy the zombies would be about as effective as prying the jaws of a bear trap open after it had snapped shut. The solution wasn't to keep fighting, but to find the source of the undead. Closing her eyes, Ada lifted the hand that had been cursed and focused. It was a fair guess that whoever had been responsible for the undead was also behind the curse ward. Maybe she could exploit the remaining traces of the spell to find their source.

Rolling an assessment to see if the blood on the floor could power a spell, then giving up my main action to roll an assessment to find the source of the animation spell, using Lore for both. Tagging Fading Curse to boost the latter roll. Foxxbot results are +/-+ and /-//, making the final results +3 and +3. Let's see what Ada finds...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Dammit! These things just keep coming!" Ada said as she landed in the water. "Where the hell is that beat coming from?!"

Thankfully, Hugues was a few steps ahead of her, and had already determined the source of the beat - behind the closed door. "I'm on it! Jenny, get ready to fry whatever's inside!" In spite of the water's grounding effect and he slowed down movements, Ada's cut was precise: blood from her index finger began to flow, giving her right hand a scarlet tint. As she infused the blood with magical energy, her hand began to emit a similar glow to the one the chain had produced before...similar, but not identical. This one was more vibrant, brighter, alive. Rearing her hand, Ada took aim and clenched her fist, then thrust it forward, palm open, sending a concentrated ball of blood towards the door, blowing it off its hinges due to the force behind the blast.

Blasting the door off its hinges with a touch of Blood Magic. Weapon: 4 attack (taking a hit to my third mental stress box in the process), aimed at the door. The roll result is //++, for a final value of +8!

pre:
Name: Squishy
Defenses: Athletics 2
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen
Physical: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental: (X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mild (-2): Rush of Power (Mental)  
Moderate (-4):
Major (-6):

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Accepting the trigger on the compel I asked for a long, long time ago. Ada knows Steve, as she used to be one of the Shadows.

"...gently caress." Ada muttered under her breath as Jenny's spell blasted the room and blood began to leak. This wasn't something she was expecting. The bloodsucker wasn't supposed to have a human drummer!

As Mitsuo emerged from the room, carrying a young man, Ada froze.

"Stevie?" She whispered, as she felt her knees wobble, as if they were ready to give up.

She knew this boy. Years ago, he had been one of Rook's people...and then, one of *her* people. He'd been out of touch for quite a while, but she thought he'd moved on and found a nice place to live in. Someone to take care of him. Not a blood-sucking monster. For a moment, Ada felt ready to cry.

She might have killed him by opening the way for Jenny to blast the room. She'd failed him. He was going to die, and it was all going to...

"No. No, not a loving chance in hell!" She whispered, through gritted teeth. There was still time. There had to be. Striding toward Mitsuo, Ada gestured and spoke. "We can't stay here. You grab his arms and I'll hold his legs. We'll take him up to the ground floor and see what we can do there! C'mon, let's move!"

Grabbing the boy's legs, Ada worked with Mitsuo to bring the boy up the stairs. Once outside the basement, the air caused Ada to shiver. It wasn't just the cold, but also a feeling of guilt...and helplessness. Healing wasn't her area of expertise. There wasn't much she could do to help Steve. There was only one thing.

"Jen. You've got to help him. You can fix him!" She said, her voice low and quiet. "He can still make it if you give him a hand. Please." Ada wasn't the type to beg. She could curse, scream and shout until her body ceased functioning entirely. But beg? Never.

But desperate times called for desperate measures. So Ada did the only thing she could: she begged Jenny for help.

It's OK. Jen can fix it. She always comes through in the clutch.

...God. I hope she does it again this time.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As she watched Jenny empty the contents of her stomach, Ada felt the urge to flip out. She wanted to yell, to scream, to grab Jenny and slap some sense into her. This wasn't helping Stevie, it was just waiting time, time he did not have. She really should...

...Ada took a deep breath. Going berserk wouldn't help Jenny any. It wouldn't help Stevie any. Jen was worried and still shocked by the events in the basement. What she needed was reassurance, not more pressure. Walking towards her, Ada put a light hand on her shoulder.

"You'll fix it. Just like you always have." She said, trying to put as much confidence into her voice as she could. "Just calm down, Jen. You need to concentrate. Focus. Forget about what just happened and just do your best. You know, the same thing you always do." It was a herculean effort to keep the tension out of her voice, but Ada managed, barely. She squeezed Jenny's shoulder tightly, as if to lend her strength, and stepped back. It was all in her hands now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada's movements in response to Hugues' orders were slow and mechanical. She didn't want Stevie to die, but what she was seeing...it was...wrong. There was something about it that sent shivers down her spine. As she drew a blood bag, Ada hesitated for a moment, looking at his twisting body, before making up her mind. She'd ask for Jenny's help. Once again, she was responsible for what happened to Steve, and they hadn't gone so far to just let him slip away. With a practiced slice, Ada let the blood flow once more, concentrating on it as it dribbled into the bag, changing it, willing it into something that Steve's body would accept. At the same time, she lifted the blood he'd lost and placed it within the bag, using it as a template for the transmuted donation. After a few instants, her work was done. Passing the bag to Jenny, Ada knelt down besides Steve, opposite of Hugues. Gently stroking his hair, she whispered: "Hold on, Stevie. It'll all be over soon...just hold on a little longer."

Discipline roll to retrieve and modify enough blood to kickstart Steve's body once more. Base Discipline 4, And foxxbot's result is +//+, so we end up with a...+6! It's all on Jenny now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hearing Cole discuss the possibility of taunting the head vampire into coming out made Ada shake her head. Trying to be the hero wouldn't lead anywhere, though maybe the Warden had a plan. But before that...

"Can't take the kid to the hospital." She said, trying to hide her connection to Stevie. "People will ask questions that we won't be able to answer, not without raising eyebroews. I know where we can drop him at. Someone gimme a hand here." She said, as she bent down besides Stevie, preparing to carry him to the car. He'd be OK...but now, someone else might not be. Ada made a mental note about checking up on Jenny as soon as Stevie was taken care of - she hadn't taken the...whatever the hell that had been, very well. The last thing she wanted was to trade the health of one person for another like that.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Upon being questioned by Mitsuo, Ada tensed up, subtly. The last few minutes had been extremely draining, and the last thing she wanted to do now was go through an interrogation. She had half a mind to tell Mitsuo to buzz off, but as she opened her mouth, she stopped and closed it again. Just shooting him down would only cause trouble - honesty was a better policy here, at least to a degree.

"They...cured him." She started, thinking about what she was about to say carefull. "It's hard to explain, but they had to work fast. He was on the verge of death by the time we dragged him out of the basement, so they had to buy themselves some time." Looking back at Stevie, she shook her head. "Strange stuff. I couldn't have done it myself. Don't have the know-how for it, and I wasn't in the right frame of mind either."

Taking advantage of that milestone to up Discipline by 1, to +4. Next milestone, I'll have to start bulking up the pyramid.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

For a moment, Ada felt outraged. This wasn't Mitsuo's business, and he'd do well to stay out of it. She felt an urge to shoot him down, preferrably in an explicit and rather final fashion. As she opened her mouth to speak, however, he beat her to the punch.

Ada sank down on her seat, thinking. Mitsuo appeared to be sincere. He wasn't the type to rat people out for no reason, but he was also not someone to be trifled with. If he thought he was being played for a fool, things would get ugly. That settled things.

Taking a deep breath, Ada nodded. "He was gone...almost. Jenny brought him back." She looked at Mitsuo and spoke very slowly. "Nobody else must know about this. Especially not Cole. He's a good man, but he wouldn't understand. Can I count on you to keep quiet?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Something about this looks crazy." Ada said, as she removed the pin from the spot she had attached it to. She nodded. "Fine. It's not like I haven't done crazy before." With that, she clutched the pin and followed Mitsuo's motions.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"We'll drop him at my place. They'll take care of him." Ada said, nodding. "But we better wrap business up quick. I don't want to leave him alone any longer than necessary. We don't know if he'll suffer any...aftereffects." She said, grimacing. "Who knows what that experience might have done to him." She trusted Jenny, but she had plucked Steve from uncharted territory. Ada didn't even want to begin guessing what that might have entailed. The way he'd struggled and whimpered back at the bookstore had been enough for her.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

After making sure Steve was safe and sound, Ada retreated to her room and began pacing up and down. The motion was mechanical, forced, simply a way to distract the body while she allowed her mind to roam. The raid had gone poorly, even while being excessively kind to it. An innocent had been injured, she'd been hit by a curse, and Jenny was looking like a wreck last she'd seen her...

...And it had all been her fault. She'd rushed in without making any proper checks for defensive systems. She'd ask her veterinarian friend to blast the small room. She'd been the one who had begged her to save Steve. It all left a bitter, bitter taste in Ada's mouth. Not smart enough, not wise enough, not resourceful enough to do anything except screw things up. She bit her lower lip, and didn't even notice she'd pressed hard enough against it to make a little trickle of blood flow until she passed by the full-body mirror on the eastern wall and spared it a glance. She hadn't been pulling her weight. She had to step it up. She had to...

Ada's musings were interrupted, as the duSang family's butler came in with a tea set. Looking at him, Ada nodded and gestured at her desk. "Put it down, Roy. I'll get to it later.". As she watched Roy excuse himself, as impeccably professional as always, Ada felt her frustration twist and fade. Recrimination was useless. Maybe she hadn't been up to snuff lately. Maybe she hadn't been pulling her weight. But the one thing she knew for sure was that beating herself up about it wasn't the way to do things right. As she stared at the tea set, Ada nodded. "Right. Stop thinking about how badly you hosed up, start thinking about how to avoid loving it up next time.". Sitting down on her chair, she was about to mull things over a cup of tea and some scones when the phone started ringing. Sighing, Ada picked up the tube. "So much for that...Hello? Who is it? ...JR? What's up now?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Looking at the receptionist lady, Ada sighed. She appeared to be a tough nut to crack. Heaven probably had a less watchful guardian at the Pearly Gates. Leaning on the desk, she took on a tired expression...which was easy enough after the events of yesterday.

"I...we're just here to make sure the Father's alright. The people of his congregation are worried." This wasn't, strictly speaking, a lie, though it did omit that little tidbit about her and JR not being a part of it. "We don't want to cause any trouble. We just need to make sure that Father James is fine and then we'll leave. It won't take five minutes, I promise."

Rolling Rapport to convince the receptionist to let us through. Foxxbot's roll is //-+, so the result is +2. Weight of a Word takes that up to +4, enough to beat the set threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada entered the room silently, trying not to disturb the Father in case he was asleep. As she made her way into the room, she looked at JR inquisitively, silently asking him about their next move. After a moment, she approached the bed and leaned forward slightly.

"Father? We need to speak with you." She began, her voice very sofrt and quiet.

• Locked thread
«9 »