Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nilbop posted:

That's not how bullets work.

Nothing works like it's supposed to in this manga.

And it is all the better for it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So what kind of race is Silver, eh? Answer me that! :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Batman's idea of training someone in hand to hand combat is to repeat the phrase "Hand to hand combat" as many times as possible.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lazerbot is actually really really good at drawing expressions, isn't he? Look at the pissed-off expression on Rob's face in panel 2, and his expression of sort of resignation in panel 10. They're really perfect.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Somehow I can only imagine Lazerbot's long reply to the troll who's hacked his account being voiced by Eminem, like a rap battle in 8-Mile.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, that's one freaky-rear end demon boar thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Those necromancy strings sure are adaptable! He can use them as shields or even shoot them like machine gun bullets or flechettes or something. I like that in a power -- flexibility. It makes for more interesting potential battles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

For me, it's not that I prefer his originals or the videogame(et al) characters. It's seeing them all together that makes things work for me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did you guys notice how the laser shield is drawn in a slightly different style than the regular line art? The art that's used for the characters has this slightly fraying pixely quality, while the art for the laser shield is quite smooth and digital-looking. It makes it look a lot more energy-like.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

plaindot posted:

^-- loving awesome
I'll throw in mine- I hope he wont lose the battle, poo poo!!!! CMON GARY!!!!!

"SUCK ON THIS, BITCH!"

He's like a psychotic Kamen Rider, I love it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Known uses of Satan String:
  • Animate the dead
  • Bind the living
  • Strangle your enemies
  • Swing from the ceiling like Spiderman
  • Totally kick-rear end yo-yo tricks (presumed)

Add to that:

• Create a bubble shield

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wait a second. WAITASECOND.

That's a robot. That shoots lasers from its eyes.

A laser robot.

:aaaaa:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I don't want to be seen as someone who's defending the use of the word "fag", but I just want to point out that it seems that Lazerbot is from a lower-class/working class white background. So to me it kind of makes sense that he writes the way he does, and uses the vocabulary and slang of that background. Not that it's defensible, but it's understandable where he's coming from, and why he wouldn't necessarily "see" the harm of latent (as opposed to explicit) homophobia. Someone who hasn't had the kind of cultural sensitivity that I assume most of us have from growing up in an urban, middle-class environment or college education.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Miserable Maid posted:

....Two point three?

His third gay friend is a dwarf-- he's a third of the height of an average person.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think the fight's basically over now. He's escaping, maybe there'll be some short chasing that'll be stopped through the interference of someone else, or perhaps he'll simply use some magic or trick to vanish.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha! I like how he says that he might be "in danger". Something about the immediacy and urgency (and shonen-anime-ness) of that phrase just amuses me. As if he were to drag it on further, he might be ambushed by a group of ninjas or something!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All the excited ranting and laughing that Garry's doing is absolutely hilarious-- I couldn't stop laughing at it! He's just blabbering on and on!

I actually don't have much of a problem with this very long fight scene. I'm reading it less as a long story than I am as a gag-a-day webcomic strip. Looked at that way, each page of this fight has had some kind of payoff or gag, so it doesn't make me impatient to see the end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I AM BEYOND MAN I AM PART GOD :ssj:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have to admit, the magma form is pretty cool-looking, like that panel where he's roaring steam or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That panel where the ribapede was crawling on the ground towards him is honestly pretty well-done, for Lazerbot. It's nice that he's varying up the camera angles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That was honestly a good idea from Garry. He broke up the stone into bits and threw them into the eye of the demon thing, since it seems intuitively obvious that the eye is the most vulnerable part.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

OH JESUS CHRIST! Hahahaha, man, that is just heartless. He got dismembered and then his loving soul got pulled out by a tractor beam!! That freaking owns!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I unironically hope this is what happens.

I don't. It'd detract from the magnificence that was his death, and lower the bar for the comic all-around.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Saddr Weirdr posted:

I wasn't really feeling the fight, but holy :drat: at the ending. That freaking eye monster thing was incredibly awesome on its own, but apparently it also grows its flesh by consuming the unfortunate souls slain by it. lazerbot certainly wasn't lying when he said we haven't seen what his crazy diamond is capable of.

Ohh! So that's what that panel was zooming in on.

Hey, so does that mean that the demon really is just that "extending worm" from the really old videogame?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's some Pulp Fiction-dialogue right there. Amazing stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Some great lines here. "Duhh... are bricks unbreakable?"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ClownSyndrome posted:

When I went rafting we high-oared :)

Became a lumberjack. High-chainsawed. :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Coyote's kinda laying it on thick, about Rob. I mean, if he wanted to call the reader's attention to Rob having more of a back story, there's subtler ways to do it than having a character literally say "Wow, I think there's a lot more backstory to this guy!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thing is, even though he's pretty conspicuously influenced by shonen manga like Naruto or DBZ, at least, in the storytelling, he's very adamantly not bringing in characters from anime or manga. It's kind of interesting, because he's taking Western cartoon and pop culture characters and putting them into a very manga-like story, with dialogue that resembles that of working-class American folks.

The combination is really unique.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, if anyone has ever read any Weekly Shonen Jump battle manga, the latest page would be instantly immediately familiar. Haha, it's great!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Wait, so does that makes Kyouko their Silver?

I wanna see Lazerbot do Koobie's lines. That'd be just amazing, I imagine. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

zoomdog posted:

Troll-san.

Son Trollku. :ssj:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did that purple guy just appear so that he could do the "Over 9000" meme?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In Lazerbot's defense, I felt the exactly the same way about SA for like four years after I learned of its existence. "What on earth? A forum that people have to pay to register?? Madness!" is a completely normal reaction from most people.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love the rhyme the troll in the second to last panel does.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That whole sequence of panels with the demon thing coming out of the portal is a little bit visually confusing, and I had to spend a while trying to understand what was going on. Panel 17 still confuses me-- what is the point of this panel?

"I'm out of my comfort zone, I want to get back to somewhere where there's a lot of sand" is really a great line, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wow, did he summon the Road Runner from the book?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:geno: "That sounds like a stupid idea, I'm not gonna just give you explosives for a stupid plan like that."

:mad: "BUGS COME OVER HERE AND CONVINCE THIS GUY THAT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!"

Today's page had some of the best, funniest dialogue I've ever read from a webcomic.

Also, the rather explicit endorsement of weed. Keep rocking those awesome Public Service Announcements, lazerbot! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Oh my god that second to last panel had me in stitches. Nobody breaks the 4th wall like Lazerbot

I like how in that panel you have to read it from the top right corner and go to the bottom left, contrary to normal Western reading styles.

Also, no, that would be "mo foes". :japan: