Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

I can't think of a situation in which this comic isn't awesome.

Whether it's a knowing parody of Sonic fanfic or the sincere scribblings of a grossly uneducated (and likely troubled) youth, it's still great- even if for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The Pac-Man arc is evoking tears of delight. Just... perfect.

And, as mentioned earlier, this panel is one of the best things ever.

Why is quintessence in a different font? No- I don't want to know. The mystery of Lazerbot's workflow is part of the charm.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Songbearer posted:

I still have my doubts that any of this is real though :colbert:

I was on the fence at first, as well, but spending some time on his Youtube channel eliminated any doubt for me.

NoneSuch posted:

You guys are worrying me, it's just a cheesy internet comic which isn't very good on any level. It's funny but the enjoyment comes from the terrible plot and art, there really isn't anything to ruin here. The more characters which get added the funnier it is. I just like seeing how he's going to draw each one and their inevitable backstabbing/death.
I disagree. Tails Gets Trolled is superior to all other Sonic fanfic I've seen, not only in plot and creativity, but in coherence as well. Most video game fanfic that people write is just incomprehensible gibberish, like the infamous Mario Meets Kirby story by Daniel Ruchames. This is a short excerpt:

On the way Mario got way off course and happened to stumble into Dreamland where Kirby was facing Wispy Woods, and just when Whispy was almost defeated Mario threw a hammer at him and Kirby won! Mario grabbed the star rod thinking that the star on the top was a starman but just as Mario had almost lost Kirby, Kirby got the fire ability and torched Mario until he gave Kirby the star rod and to pay for all the mischief twelve maxim tomatoes and three pep drinks just for storage, but Mario said "What are pep drinks and maxim tomatoes?" Kirby replied "What are pep drinks and maxim tomatoes, what are you going to ask me next what is candy?" "no" said Mario.

This is funny because it's bad. You can tell the guy had some thread of a story (however uninspired) in his mind, but he was completely incapable of expressing it in any kind of meaningful way. Someone did a Newgrounds animation of the story that highlights the narrative incompetence by employing a doggedly literal interpretation of the text. Again, the humor here is entirely because the source material is terrible.

This is not the case with Lazerbot. You always know what's going on in Tails Gets Trolled and the plot goes in directions that are both surprising and satisfying. (I was genuinely stoked when Sonic went to the mountain and sought counsel with the Egg Man, for example.) I know that some people see this as evidence that Lazerbot is The Uber Troll, but again- just watch the YouTubes. The person who classified this as outsider art early in the thread really pegged it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

23 Flavors posted:

He's actually stated on deviantart that the youtube channel used to be his brother's, but he's taken it over so a lot of the earlier videos are not his.
But he is in the videos.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

nerdbot posted:

What's truly strange about this comic is just that there are some things that are absolutely hilarious by no intention of the author (the story between Bugs and Daffy is still by far the high point of the comic to me) but there are a lot of actual jokes that are completely intentional and still very funny ("I DON'T HAVE loving EARS") and it leaves me with this odd feeling where I like the comic both ironically and genuinely at the same time.
Agreed, this is one of the things that makes this so different (and better than) similar work in the genre. I think some folks are convinced the strip has to be a parody because of the jokes- with the incorrect assumption that a sincere work of fanfic couldn't have legitimately funny intentional gags. Lazerbot doesn't have traditional illustration or writing skills, but he's got humor and creativity in spades.

FrenchToasty posted:

thoughs eyes
Indeed.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Mathhole posted:

I couldn't see jack crap in the darkness of the latest page. Here is one with increased contrast to better see the dream.

http://i.imgur.com/usYSA.jpg

This would have been a wonderful time for Lazerbot to have inserted a Goatse.
Holy crap- I had no idea. That portion of the page looks completely black on my monitor, even zoomed in. Thanks for that.

Also, this:

Immediately reminded me of this:

I actually had the impulse to deselect the picture when I saw Tails.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 23, 2012

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Okay, which of you is over in the DA comments asking Lazerbot to illustrate the rape scenes as flashbacks? Please stop that, because oh god no.

Also,

nominal posted:

The "im not hungry for duck and wabbit" panel belongs in the Smithsonian. God I love this comic
Amen.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

My big question is, who said "we can hear what your saying"? It can't have been Rob, because he CAN'T hear what Silver's saying. Was it Blaze, or Elmer Fudd?
That's just lazerbot messin' with your mind.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

@Calico Heart - Love it!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I'd say "Don't worry about Rob, guys", but he's already killed drat near every Sonic character, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Luigi. All bets are off.
Agreed. Lazerbot's the Joss Whedon of web comics.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Just this.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I will say I feel a strong need to comment how the more recent pages of this thread seem to have picked up a decidedly white-knight tone regarding the comic's author. It went from satirically praising his work for the plentiful laughs it created in spite of itself to giving off the firm impression a lot of people think this is in fact a masterful work of art and at all intended.
As others have noticed, Lazerbot's been doing similar work for years. It doesn't match the scope of TGT, but it's pretty clear he's got a legit sense of humor and he at least started out just writing stuff he and his friends would enjoy, with no care for any kind of broad audience.

TGT can't really be measured against traditional illustrating or writing because it certainly breaks most of those rules, however unintentional that may be. I think it's very much a gestalt thing; it's the cool story with characters we all know, written for no other reason than Lazerbot just thought it would be awesome. The art and writing style contribute to its awesomeness, because we get to see stuff flow from the author's mind without any filters or restrictions. It's raw and sincere and appeals to the kid in every TGT fan who sees beyond the technical limitations of the work.

I'm enjoying the hell out of TGT, but I can't really compare it to anything else I like. (I'm frequently accused of being a huge book/film/music snob.) You might not be able to defend it as great art (because everyone has a different idea of what that means), but it's certainly great entertainment.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I really liked the Chapter 1 call back.
gently caress yes, that was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Simmerl posted:

Lazerbot is an amazing writer, really.
This guy tried to copy his style but didn't quite understand what made the original so good in the first place.
I laughed at both of them. The one with Big Bird is all a big setup for the bottom of the page, and the Rob one is crazily excessive at the end.

If you simply don't think it's funny, that's one thing, but he's going for a very different kind of joke from Lazerbot, and only using TGT as a starting point. This is more Tim and Eric kinda stuff.