Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm pretty sure that is a terrible misspelling of "Silas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This is probably my favorite webcomic at the moment. I just read Rise of the Videogame Zinesters so I'm probably just overly high on the notion of outsider art but this poo poo is amazing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Sidenote: anyone not reading Hitmen for Destiny really ought to if they like this at all:

Here's a sample:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/thorsby/destiny/series.php?view=archive&chapter=35079

It starts here:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/thorsby/destiny/series.php

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Well, if the shoe fits.

I will say I feel a strong need to comment how the more recent pages of this thread seem to have picked up a decidedly white-knight tone regarding the comic's author. It went from satirically praising his work for the plentiful laughs it created in spite of itself to giving off the firm impression a lot of people think this is in fact a masterful work of art and at all intended.

If anything became intended at all I'm certain it was way later when he supposedly started actually reading this thread. Even then I'm not totally convinced. I'm just not really sure what to think. Fittingly enough I'll probably be dissected for this very post. Whatever.

I don't think it matters. Does authorial intent change whether or not something is enjoyable?

This comic (and Hitmen for Destiny which everyone should read it's fuckin' dope) represent a different kind of story than the ones most of us are experiencing elsewhere (in movies/games/books/etc). It's not consistent with the real world (where a lot of our stories take place) but once you get into it, it has an internal consistency that makes it pretty engaging. I want to know what happens next, which is, I think, the most basic litmus test for whether or not a story is being well-told.

I don't think anyone in here is claiming this is high art. This isn't Watchmen or Maus or some other highly-praised art. But it's storytelling and its entertaining and its engaging.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for outsider web comics like this?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

As a corollary, can we stop using "outsider" as an adjective to describe either one?

what's a term that describes them? How can I find more of them?

they're fuckin' sweet

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object?

It's not an unmovable object, it's merely redirecting it :smaug:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm calling loving dibs on an avatar with Knuckles "you shoulda been there" panel cutting to angry Shadow with the panel text underneath.

I literally burst out laughing at that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Prof. Spectre posted:

Had to change the text layout a little bit to keep it readable at that size. I hope TGT purists won't get offended.

Thanks but I made my own :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
lovely movie chat:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181602/

The Item is literally the worst movie. It's not enjoyable. It's not so bad it's good. It's just bad.

Me and some friends got it from blockbuster after asking the clerk to recommend the shittiest movie they had. He said it had been returned for being too terrible more than anything else they had. He told us to get something else as it wasn't good for our "bad movie night" because it's just completely unwatchable.

It's literal dogshit on a DVD and everything else you're talking about doesn't hold a candle to it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Garry is legitimately badass and I hope he beats the gently caress out of Demaro.

I agree that someone needs to die here.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Done with competent art I think it would lose something. Something about the playful whimsy of the whole world. I too absolutely lost my poo poo reading the ship part. He also does a good job with a similar sort of comedy of errors with Lies, Sisters and Wives, but it's nowhere near the magnum opus that is Hitmen for Destiny.

If you aren't reading the accidental space spy
, his current comic, you should. It's hit men for destiny 2, more or less. Same amount of comedy of errors and wacky creatures/scenarios.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Lazerbro, some people are haters and that's what they do, I will always love you.

Seriously this comic is loving awesome. There will always be someone who hates some part of whatever you do when you make it public - it's not always the same guy.

You can please some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people some of the time. The more popular or great something is, the more likely someone is going to want to nit-pick some poo poo to feel better about themselves.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you e-mailed him screenshots or whatever and didn't loving post on the forums "HEY GUYS I SENT HIM SCREENSHOTS" and don't stick your credit card info or "SCREENCAPS BY DICK TOUCHLY" on the images, it's impossible to determine who is sharing screenshots and ban someone, plus I'm pretty sure no one would really give a huge poo poo.

But really the easiest solution is to get him an account and suggest to him that he not post.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I assume you didnt get the reference. Or maybe you did and are just being pedantic.

I think you might have missed something, actually:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Shut_Up_and_Jam!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Huh, did they remake Citizen Kane starring Simon Pegg? I never knew.

That's Orson "Unicron" Welles, you tit.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I legitimately was interested in Tails Got Trolled :(j

It is not "good" or high art or whatever, but it was interesting. Every page was a new and crazy adventure that I could not loving predict. I'm not sure if I was laughing at or laughing with Lazerbot, but it's kind of immaterial, I enjoyed it all the same.

I would legitimately read anything else Lazerbot puts out and I kind of wish goons hadn't managed to touch the poop, rub it all over themselves, and make it all weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
gently caress THE POLICE AND HIGH SHOVEL MOTHER FUCKERS

It's back!