Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I had a similar issue happen with my original Geo 2.0 (it was giving me 9 hours of deco stops while on the first floor. That had cleared about 2 hours later). I'd bought it second hand a couple of years before but figured I'd send it in to oceanic and was sent a new replacement. That said if you feel you've gotten your money's worth from a computer it can be a good excuse for getting a shinier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wouldn't ever recommend a console computer. It's obnoxious having to constantly look down for your depth / time / air.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shearwater computers have become the standard among the tech and tech adjacent crowd here. They're very easy to read and use, I'm a huge fan of my perdix, pricy as it was.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Icon Of Sin posted:

Mine finally died when the pressure sensor went out and it swore it was down at 60ft while sitting in my gear locker. It only took a few years of being a divemaster, which is probably more use/abuse than most computers will ever have to handle.

Flip side, mine had like 25 dives on it over a few years before this happened. I got a 50% discount on the Novo though so hopefully that doesn’t fault out on me as well.

Had to buy a new mount and cable too of course… :nallears:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I love my puck pro. I'm not a serious diver, but it does what I need. User replaceable battery, very simple operation, etc.

tempted to go with the puck. for what it's worth, I just like how it looks. haha

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Shearwater computers have become the standard among the tech and tech adjacent crowd here. They're very easy to read and use, I'm a huge fan of my perdix, pricy as it was.

I can’t economically justify replacing my Vyper Novo while it’s functional, but the moment it so much as burps wrong it’s getting replaced with a Perdix.

Did a pair of ~45ft reef dives with Islamorada dive center this morning. First time in the water in over a year, but the dry spell is broken!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My recommendation in regards to computers is to find one with an algorithm that you like. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
So I use to post a lot, some of my photos are on the first post bishop did. Anyone seen Bishop lately?

Anyway, I'm back by the water. I just got a boat. I'm going to be going out twice a week in the Florida keys. I use to do so in Hawaii at Molokai.

Big difference this time, my wife will be doing it with me. We will both be diving rebreathers. So yeah routine rebreather is gonna make a comeback.

Hope you all like the content I produce shortly.

This was me back then, been about 9 years lol

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Well that just looks ridiculous. And expensive.

Mostly expensive.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

SlicerDicer posted:

So I use to post a lot, some of my photos are on the first post bishop did. Anyone seen Bishop lately?

Anyway, I'm back by the water. I just got a boat. I'm going to be going out twice a week in the Florida keys. I use to do so in Hawaii at Molokai.

Big difference this time, my wife will be doing it with me. We will both be diving rebreathers. So yeah routine rebreather is gonna make a comeback.

I don’t see a JJ CCR in GUE rigging, so here’s your obligatory ‘you’re going to die’ post.

:D

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SlicerDicer posted:

:black101:

:justpost:

Which key?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SlicerDicer posted:

Welcome back, this rules.

Please don’t die. :captainpop:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My diving has been super limited the last few years but I finally managed to get on a club expedition taking our RIB up to North West Scotland, specifically diving out of Tobermory on the Inner Hebrides and the Sound of Mull. Absolutely awesome diving that I haven't seen for over 10 years and made me really wish I was living back up in the North of England or even Scotland to be able to reach this as regular diving. For people specifically travelling to the UK for diving it's obviously not on the historical level of somewhere like Scapa Flow and it's not as approachable in terms of hard boat options but drat was it good to get back in the water for an extended period.

Did encounter one consequence of not diving that much, my dry suit turned out to have a zip leak that I couldn't track down. I'd brought my second older suit as well as a just in case but that had leaks that got worse over the week until one of the wrist seals had a failure on the final dive. I was genuinely worried I wouldn't get any diving so I consider myself really lucky that I ended up just being fairly wet and cold over the week and only really lost 2 dives over the week. My dive computer also had an issue with rechargeable battery not working properly and it stopped taking a charge, luckily it's a model that can also use standard AA so was able to keep that going. Service your gear before any extended trips!

On the more fun side, here's a few good pictures:

Lovely views and generally good weather

Had a dive on a random pinnacle off the Isle of Muck that had a really nice set of Nudibranchs -

And a nice flatworm

Afternoon dive on another pinnacle had a bit of an issue as we were diving in a 3 and my buddies buggered off. We'd missed the wall we were aiming to dive on but found a nice sandy area with lots of scallops and I found this fella. Taking a photo of him was when they continued off and we lost each other.

Some nice reef diving, these are from a few different dives with very different visibility depending on sunshine at the surface and where/when we were diving.

Also interesting effects lighting can have:

Finally one of the main things for this trip was wreck diving. I didn't get many photos of these due to 1) wanting to focus on enjoying the dives and not being super dived up and 2) not having a great camera set up for non-macro shooting in this kind of visibility. I did get this photo of the Hispania's rudder with my buddy. This was the last dive I did and at this point the water from my wrist seal leak had just reached the left side of my chest.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Wow that's awesome! Had no idea there was good diving in Scotland.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I am on a boat and there is Internet because satellites, apparently.

So here's an eel with a shrimp on its face

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I like how the eel appears to be staring at it like, bro, what r u doin

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's just the default expression of morays. It's either that or surprised Pikachu.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They're so friendly :buddy:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Last day on the boat, so here's a pretty reef shot from yesterday

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Headed back to port

Free swimming flatworm

Pretty reef with some kelp in the background

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've been back from Bonaire for weeks. Time to give my report to the thread.

I went with a huge group organized by sister's friend, who is starting her own dive business in north Florida. This was my (and my sister's) first dive trip abroad, and it was good to go with a group of experienced folks.

We stayed at Buddy Dive. I would give it 3.5/5 stars. The good: it was as advertised. You get a truck with your room, and you can take two tanks per person along with all your gear around to shore dive sites around the island. There is a "drive thru" where you can pick up fresh tanks along with your gear from lockers and wash it (you are required to do this to stop the spread of stony coral disease) when done. Also, the house reef is great, and there is a dive shop/tank pick up/more lockers right on the dock for your convenience. Every critter I saw around the island (except for reef squid) I saw at the house reef, and it's the only place we saw an octopus (don't be a dumbass and poke them when camoflaged - one of our group did that and it alerted some small groupers to its presence which circled it like hyenas! I think it got away). Speaking of predators, I also wouldn't recommend a night dive on the Buddy Dive house reef - there wasn't a lot going on and apparently our lights alerted the local tarpon to the reef fish desperately trying to hide at night, which they then ate.

Speaking of night dives - DO NOT do the Buddy Dive guided night dive. This was a bold scam they put on where YOU drive the "guides" to a public beach at sunset and watch tiny phosphorescent crustaceans come out. That was cool to see for the ten minutes it lasted, but you can do this yourself for free, and they charge $45 per person at the resort. The guides do absolutely nothing except take up space in your car and collect your money.

The food at Buddy Dive is subpar and expensive. Granted, food everywhere on the island is expensive, and Buddy Dive is at the outskirt of town so there aren't many options. Eddy's is a few hundred yards down the road and is a GREAT sit down alternative, with pan-latin american food. For grab and go, there's a decent kebab place in the same direction that's about as cheap as you'll eat anywhere in Bonaire.

Shore diving. It's...a workout. Seriously, this felt like diver boot camp. You get to a dive site, wetsuits, tanks, BCDs, and regs in a massive steaming jumble in the bed of the truck, sort them out, assemble your gear while you sweat and burn in the blazing sun, and walk to the water across jagged coral beaches (or down the eponymous thousand steps, which is only 73 apparently). I was always last in getting my poo poo put on and was notorious for mixing my stuff up with others'. But that's just kind of how I am.

I ended up doing 15 dives all together. Most sites involve swimming along the fringing reef wall, which is amazingly close to shore. There'll be 20 feet of water maybe 75 yards offshore, dropping to 100 very quickly. The most memorable sites had some unique feature. Salt Pier is a must. Its' massive structure looks incredible underwater, and there's so much reef growing around it. The Hilma Hooker is a spooky 100 ft. wreck dive. We did a "thru dive" (leave a truck or two at the end) between Bari Reef and Front Porch, which has another small wreck of a tugboat. Oil Slick is a good reef and the jump in off the cliff is fun. But absolutely make sure you get a boat dive in, and ask that they take you to Forest on Klein Bonaire. This was the best site. The wall had a cool shape and everything was so alive. Multiple schools of fish headed in different directions, two huge morays, great reef health.

I know I have some complaints but it was an awesome trip. I feel like I "get" diving now, like it finally clicked for me how a dive should go. I got my AOW cert while there and figured out how to use my new computer (Suunto Zoop). Visibility was incredible and currents were nil. And the reef is just massive and there's so much going on in it.

Here's some pictures. I put my mirrorless Sony in a cheap case from ebay (do not do this) and it floated away. All these pictures are from my chinese go pro knockoff filled with water toward the end of the week :haw: Invest in your UW camera gear, folks.

At the stern of the Hilma Hooker

Thousand Steps

Salt Pier

Small wreck at Front Porch

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Going on your first dive with just a buddy and no guide is quite exhilarating. The joy of pure exploration and discovery.

Also knowing that everything is on you, for better or worse, also sobers you up drat fast (metaphorically speaking, of course).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

Going on your first dive with just a buddy and no guide is quite exhilarating. The joy of pure exploration and discovery.

Also knowing that everything is on you, for better or worse, also sobers you up drat fast (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Except they dove as a big group everywhere. That kinda defeats the purpose of Bonaire diving IMHO. As a newbie, it's not a bad idea to have a group/divemaster to help get acquainted. However, you end up feeling rushed at the beginning of every dive (or waiting on others), as they said they felt.

The food situation is about as we experienced. We cooked for ourselves for breakfast and lunch, plus about half our dinners. Bonaire isn't the rest of the Caribbean, but that's the point. No fancy all inclusive resorts, not much fancy food. It's expensive, but that's what you get on an island with mostly imported goods. It's still far cheaper than the Caymans, St Lucia, Barbados, or most islands. You've got to temper your expectations when traveling, especially these days when goods aren't flowing smoothly.

The ostracod dive only happens a few times a month, so it's a bit of an opportunity for the shops to cash in. They're also easy to miss and not present everywhere. If you didn't have your own light, you'd have to rent one anyhow. We'd have gladly done the dive if they were present when we were there.

The night dives with the tarpon weren't bad with only 4 people in the water, but the more divers and lights, the more the tarpon butt in.

I think you'll come to appreciate Bonaire more as you do more diving. Especially as you and your partner get more comfortable and experienced, you'll enjoy the lack of a "follow the leader" guided dives, the lack of other divers, and the relaxed nature of Bonaire.

Where you going next?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've been back from Bonaire for weeks. Time to give my report to the thread.

Bonaire has been our vacation spot for the last few years. We have about 16 weeks of diving there and are still struggling to find a better spot to go, but we prefer to dive alone and we cook at home for ourselves.

I would almost rather stop diving than stay at a place like buddy dive, but I’m old and prefer no to small groups of people.

Glad you had fun.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Bonaire looks awesome, I'd love to do it sometime too! Can't imagine how amazing it has to be in order to spend 16 weeks there lol

I did end up buying tickets to Roatán as I posted a few pages back. Or rather the flight is to Guatemala so I'll have a week or more to travel around as well, before getting a ferry and maybe hitting Utila on the way as well.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Where you going next?

Well, not Bonaire. Not that I didn't like it, but I've seen the Pacific coral triangle and know how much more it has to offer. So I'm thinking Indonesia or Thailand next year - Komodo or Raja Ampat in Indonesia, or Similans in Thailand.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Komodo is awesome, I've been twice. I'm going to Raja Ampat in a month, so expect an effort post after.

I went to the Similans on a liveaboard about 12 years ago. It was good, but I don't remember it nearly as well as Indonesia (Indo is the best). If you go to the Similans, make sure you go from ~Nov until ~March; it's their dry season.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Going to Curaçao next month. Any tips, diving or otherwise?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Found some hooded nudibranch today, they’re the best. So weird.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ploots posted:

Found some hooded nudibranch today, they’re the best. So weird.

We have them around here and I've still never seen one of the fuckers

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone happen to know the best way to stop the splitting of a wrist cuff on a Fourth Element wetsuit? It's tiny, but don't want it to grow.

Apparently it's glideskin material. Maybe a dab of Aqua Seal?

Side note, I was looking at an Axxe wetsuit the other day (like $800 Japanese custom) for surfing and the arm seams were glued and stitched but not taped -- any reason why no tape?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 4, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The only thing that I can think of, other than sewing, is to cut a clean round hole at the end of the tear. Using a punch of some sort.

Meanwhile, here's a game that's been released to early access:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1868140/DAVE_THE_DIVER/

Note: I have not yet played it.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I found a giant nudibranch on Friday, they are so weird and large. Didn't get a chance to see it pounce on an anemone, unfortunately

a google images photo similar to the one we saw, I am not a camera diver:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like Dendronotus iris. We call them rainbow nudibranchs here, due to the color varieties I think.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So a neighbor of mine had his motorcycle stolen out of our common garage last month and I didn't realise both my air bottles were stolen until he received word about it from the officer handling his case.
I just picked them up and one seems to have been treated fine. The other one however, was apparently chucked under a random person's car, who didn't notice until driving off, and racking up €2400 in damage. The coating has a pretty good scrape, the net and rubber foot need replacing, but it seems entirely fine otherwise. I'm still submitting it for testing and replacement of all the damaged components, and obviously holding in 230 bar would require a sturdy construction anyway, but it's still nuts to realise that an item like this is so resilient :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone happen to know the best way to stop the splitting of a wrist cuff on a Fourth Element wetsuit? It's tiny, but don't want it to grow.

Apparently it's glideskin material. Maybe a dab of Aqua Seal?

Side note, I was looking at an Axxe wetsuit the other day (like $800 Japanese custom) for surfing and the arm seams were glued and stitched but not taped -- any reason why no tape?

I’ve patched up surfing wetsuits using wetsuit glue for exactly the same kinds of tears. Will reduce the stretchiness a little bit but on a diving one in that spot it shouldn’t matter.

I think tape is way less stretchy so it only gets used on thicker suits generally.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

F-Me Bonaire is busy af…

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I just completed Advanced Open Water over the weekend and shot some video in the kelp forests off of Catalina Island.

I'm still very much a babby when it comes to diving but it was cool to walk away from the class with an appreciable increase in my buoyancy and trim control and all that. Still plenty of room for improvement but it just makes me want to dive more.

Also Jesus Christ I think a dry suit is next after spending that much time in the winter Pacific 🥶

https://youtu.be/l1hHjY7-mno

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
using a dry suit will be great for your bouyancy and trim control. less so for your wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

ploots posted:

using a dry suit will be great for your bouyancy and trim control. less so for your wallet.

Totally, as much as I hate that I'm sinking deeper into another money pit of a hobby, I'm also someone who usually runs like 10 degrees hot at any given time, and shivering my way through a 40 minute dive down to 80' was pretty jarring lol.