Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Plus lets be honest you are daddy moneybags.

An easy gag reflex just means you will be inducted into the PukingUnderWater club that much sooner. Its a pretty exclusive club filled with good and some not so good divers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mishaq posted:

What kind of post-editing was done on this photo to make her suit look like a leather cat suit? I also like the matching yellow weights and trim on the knife.

As a photographer: It's mostly just lighting, since they used a multi-directional light kit. They clearly did some Photoshop work, as they brightened the face but forgot to equalize it with the hands. Beyond that though, they probably smoothed some of the fabric at the hips, but it doesn't look like it'd need significant modification. Thin wetsuits are pretty awesome that way.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Plus lets be honest you are daddy moneybags.

An easy gag reflex just means you will be inducted into the PukingUnderWater club that much sooner. Its a pretty exclusive club filled with good and some not so good divers.

Or drunks. Don't forget us drunks

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Going to the dive shop to schedule completion of my certification and try on some wetsuits. I promised myself I won't buy anything (more) until I'm certified, so let's hope they don't have any sort of sale going on.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just discovered this thread and slogged through the whole thing over the last few days. Got certified almost 2 years ago but most of my diving had been done in small Michigan lakes or a few springs in Florida. I've been itching to get back in an ocean and this thread isn't helping.

I'm a flight attendant and I once used diving to get out of having to work. I had a training course on my schedule and I knew they regularly pull people out of class to work flights so the evening before I rented a tank and tooled around in a nearby lake for a while to ensure they couldn't use me!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Anybody know anything about prescription masks? I need a new mask anyway and think it might be a better route for me than contacts.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Raid the O2 onboard

Please dont.. somebody may really need it

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I don't like all the slander directed towards my dive buddy. Also:

Crunkjuice posted:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Crunkjuice posted:

Yup. Saw some of that on Koh Tao. People that drank way too much the night before, got in the water and suddenly there's a nasty little cloud around them.

Guess it's like getting the traveller's shits underwater.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Timett posted:

Anybody know anything about prescription masks? I need a new mask anyway and think it might be a better route for me than contacts.

I always dive with contacts. I never understood the appeal of a prescription mask or sunglasses, unless contacts were not an option at all. Its just an extra cost at that point. I did sell a few prescription masks when I worked at a dive shop years ago, and I can tell you they get really clunky the more correction is needed.

Re: full face masks, I use an Interspiro AGA for ~75% of my work. I need it mainly for wireless communications purposes, but it also mitigates the yuck factor for nasty/cold water. I would never trust one for truly contaminated water, but there are police and rescue units that do.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 29, 2012

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Fair enough. I'm just really bad about putting things in my eyes. I can hardly even put in eye drops myself. I'm willing to man up and give contacts a shot though.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I personally think its easier, but I already use contacts everyday. I know there are reasons some folks can't use them or choose not to.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

SlicerDicer posted:

Raid the O2 onboard

Please dont.. somebody may really need it

When I was president of my schools dive club, I was in charge of our 2 bottle Dan O2 kit. I filled those bottles up monthly. It was awesome.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

January 19 and 20 to finish my certification. Expected water temp is 57F and I am so excited I don't give a drat.

More diving gear questions. Do regulators breath any differently between brands? If so what's the best/smoothest breathing regulator that doesn't cost a fortune.

I tried on a Henderson Aqualok wetsuit and it fit well, but $500 seems pretty spendy. I'm looking around for a few other shops to try some stuff and hinted to my lds (Hollywood Divers) that they should really stock more L/T wetsuits. Does have any LA area scuba shops they like?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I did my open water qual I had really bad heartburn and nausea that lasted well after I got out of the water. I thought it was partly due to over-exertion and stress (chop and current a lot worse than expected) but it turned out to be because the crap rental regulator I was using was letting in (and I was swallowing) a lot of seawater. When I went back a few weeks later, diving in the same spot but with my own better gear, I had no issues.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of difference between brands as it was between a worn out and lovely reg and one that was still used but much nicer and in nicer shape.

If you go on scubaboard.com or someplace like that you can get a lightly-used top-of-line reg for what you'll pay for an entry-level one retail or from an LDS. Same with BC and some other stuff. Used wetsuits don't seem to have much of a market.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Aquila posted:

I tried on a Henderson Aqualok wetsuit and it fit well, but $500 seems pretty spendy. I'm looking around for a few other shops to try some stuff and hinted to my lds (Hollywood Divers) that they should really stock more L/T wetsuits. Does have any LA area scuba shops they like?

Depending on your height, I'd seriously look into a Bare sport (formerly known as the Arctic). It's only $270 from scubatoys and is almost like a semi-dry with seals on the ankles and wrists. I very nearly had to go with a custom suit but Bare's L/S size fits me like a glove.

Let me know when you finish your cert if your down for some shore diving.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

When I was president of my schools dive club, I was in charge of our 2 bottle Dan O2 kit. I filled those bottles up monthly. It was awesome.
Real talk I've pulled my 02 bottle out for some paticularly stressful college basketball games. poo poo helps. Your guests will give you some strange looks though.

Aquila posted:

More diving gear questions. Do regulators breath any differently between brands? If so what's the best/smoothest breathing regulator that doesn't cost a fortune.
A lot of this depends on depth and I'm not going to pretend to have the correct answer. Regs that breathe euqually as well at 30' might be vastly different at 200'. What is your price range? And are we talking 1st/2nd stages or just a second stage? One thing I'd say is that 57 degree water is pretty cold so I might go with a diaphragm first stage.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 1, 2013

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Bishop posted:

A lot of this depends on depth and I'm not going to pretend to have the correct answer. Regs that breathe euqually as well at 30' might be vastly different at 200'. What is your price range? And are we talking 1st/2nd stages or just a second stage? One thing I'd say is that 57 degree water is pretty cold so I might go with a diaphragm first stage.

Both first and second stages, I think for a good while I won't be going below 100ft. 57 degrees is hopefully the coldest I'll ever dive. I've got an offer out on a used Scubapro mk25 reg, so that should have me covered for a long time if it works out.

Mr. AARP: I am up for some shore diving soon, as long as you're ok going out with someone who's very new and cautious. Also, are you aarp27 on scubaboard?

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Aquila posted:

Mr. AARP: I am up for some shore diving soon, as long as you're ok going out with someone who's very new and cautious. Also, are you aarp27 on scubaboard?

Yup, that's me. I'm a fellow newbie myself and you may get your cert before I do since I'm getting mine as part of a high school class. It's free, but it takes significantly longer to get all my 10 checkout dives.

A good group to check out that recently started up is Slippery When Wet. As opposed to all the dive clubs in SoCal which are a bunch of elderly people with club dues, this is a pretty cool group that's free to go dive with.

http://www.meetup.com/Slippery-When-Wet-aka-Scuba-Diving-in-Orange-County/

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Ko Samui dive centre training recommendations needed...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
There isn't much (any?) good diving at Samui. Come to Koh Tao! Recommendations are, in no particular order, Big Blue (if you're a sociable person), New Way (if you're an early morning diver), and Roctopus (they are great people). I like Big Blue, but that's 'cause I am (still) training with them now. Don't dive with Simple Life because their boat captains are wankers and anchor where they know they shouldn't and ruin coral nurseries with anchors :argh:

I've been out of the water for over three weeks with ear problems, dengue fever, and laziness... but I picked a good time to get back in the water because I had my second whale shark encounter today, in the afternoon at Chumphon Pinnacle. It announced itself by swimming above us and giving us the heebie jeebies with wake from its tail. We spent about ten minutes with it, total - it was close enough to touch. It was small-ish, only around three metres long, but it was very playful and would eat our bubbles, swim at us and match our ascent/descent trying to avoid contact with it. Visibility wasn't great and at one point I saw it coming right for me so I descended only to see it follow me and get faster - it knew what it was doing, though, and missed. I swear it smiled at me as it passed above. Really, really, really cool.

My ears are hosed once more, so I'm out of the water for another few days at the least. I should get them checked out. Again. Hmph.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 2, 2013

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Finch! posted:

Don't dive with Simple Life because their boat captains are wankers and anchor where they know they shouldn't and ruin coral nurseries with anchors :argh:

I heard about this! Why the gently caress did he drop anchor when there was a mooring line right there? Stupid son of a bitch.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does this thread have any recommendations for a good but affordable spear gun? I want a gun with bands rather than compressed gas, but beyond that I don't really know about useful spear gun features or anything like that. I found a few threads at spearfishingplanet, but their recommendations were from guys who actually worked for spear gun manufacturers, so of course they were just shilling their own products without really explaining the features or benefits of the different guns.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Does this thread have any recommendations for a good but affordable spear gun? I want a gun with bands rather than compressed gas, but beyond that I don't really know about useful spear gun features or anything like that. I found a few threads at spearfishingplanet, but their recommendations were from guys who actually worked for spear gun manufacturers, so of course they were just shilling their own products without really explaining the features or benefits of the different guns.

You might wanna try spearboard.com

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Dont go to spearboard.com, its total crap and its owner is terrible. Censorship based on sponsored companies, A bunch of idiots as posters etc.

Gun choice depends on a number of factors. What are you targeting? Where does it swim? Whats the visibility usually like? Will you be spearing on scuba? Or freediving? Based on that info I can recommend for you a number of very reasonably priced high quality guns. But if you are looking for affordability they will all be rail guns (aluminum tube guns) decent wood guns are expensive.

You will probably hear some recommendations for Mako, stay away they are junk pretty much. They have stellar customer service but a lot of junky products. When your speargun breaks very quickly they will glady replace it with another POS.

Edit: I looked at your posts and youre in hawaii looks like. That means all kinds of stuff and good viz. I recommend for you a 120cm railgun. Small enough for the reef and holes but big enough to shoot ono's. My personal recommendation is a gun from speardiver http://freedivestore.com/en/spearguns/102-speardiver-aluminum-railgun.html. I also like Rob Allen, new Omer, Riffe (wood $).

Whatever gun you buy you want it to be rear handled (mid handle is only for large powerful guns or bad viz). It should have 2 16mm bands (plenty of power, but not too slow or hard to load). An open muzzle (meanning the shooting line is wrapped over top keeping the spear in, instead of a plastic bridge). A comfortable handle. And a single flopper spear.

The only downside to these types of guns is they cant be loaded from the hip like a mid handle wooden "scuba" gun. Instead they must be loaded on your chest. But you can get wetsuits and rashguards with loading pads to make it easier.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Dont go to spearboard.com, its total crap and its owner is terrible. Censorship based on sponsored companies, A bunch of idiots as posters etc.

Gun choice depends on a number of factors. What are you targeting? Where does it swim? Whats the visibility usually like? Will you be spearing on scuba? Or freediving? Based on that info I can recommend for you a number of very reasonably priced high quality guns. But if you are looking for affordability they will all be rail guns (aluminum tube guns) decent wood guns are expensive.

You will probably hear some recommendations for Mako, stay away they are junk pretty much. They have stellar customer service but a lot of junky products. When your speargun breaks very quickly they will glady replace it with another POS.

Edit: I looked at your posts and youre in hawaii looks like. That means all kinds of stuff and good viz. I recommend for you a 120cm railgun. Small enough for the reef and holes but big enough to shoot ono's. My personal recommendation is a gun from speardiver http://freedivestore.com/en/spearguns/102-speardiver-aluminum-railgun.html. I also like Rob Allen, new Omer, Riffe (wood $).

Whatever gun you buy you want it to be rear handled (mid handle is only for large powerful guns or bad viz). It should have 2 16mm bands (plenty of power, but not too slow or hard to load). An open muzzle (meanning the shooting line is wrapped over top keeping the spear in, instead of a plastic bridge). A comfortable handle. And a single flopper spear.

The only downside to these types of guns is they cant be loaded from the hip like a mid handle wooden "scuba" gun. Instead they must be loaded on your chest. But you can get wetsuits and rashguards with loading pads to make it easier.

See, I knew this thread would be the perfect place to ask my question. Thanks!

That's right, I'm in Maui were visibility is really good. I'll probably mostly be targeting things in shallow depth (I can only freedive down to 50' at this point, so most of what I target will be at less than 50'), but I definitely want to be able to hit bigger things too (I have friends with boats who do blue water spear fishing, which sounds like a blast)

I like having two bands. The one time that I used a gun I had a lot of trouble loading it (it was a single-band rear handle open muzzle), but I was just in a cheap rashguard; now I have a wet suit with a pretty sturdy chest area, which should be good enough for reloading.

I notice that this gun comes in several lengths, and you recommend the longest length. Is there any advantage to using a shorter length?

And thanks again for your help!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, freediving questions now:

Right now I'm still working on suppressing the panic that I feel at my current record depth while freediving. I'm nowhere near hypoxia, I know that. I know that practice is going to be the easiest way to overcome this. Are there other suggestions for reducing panic levels at depth? Should I take up meditation or other groovy poo poo like that?

I've also figured out that while I'm surfacing I can reinhale some of the air that I had to release into my mask during the dive in order to prevent squeeze. This is a huge help in suppressing panic while I'm surfacing, and I can usually take in several small breaths on my way up. Is this ill-advised? I know that it shouldn't affect whether or not I'd get the bends (since it's all the same initial gulp of oxygen), and even if the air is a little stale I can't imagine it hurting any worse than just continuing to hold my breath

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Okay, freediving questions now:

Right now I'm still working on suppressing the panic that I feel at my current record depth while freediving. I'm nowhere near hypoxia, I know that. I know that practice is going to be the easiest way to overcome this. Are there other suggestions for reducing panic levels at depth? Should I take up meditation or other groovy poo poo like that?

I've also figured out that while I'm surfacing I can reinhale some of the air that I had to release into my mask during the dive in order to prevent squeeze. This is a huge help in suppressing panic while I'm surfacing, and I can usually take in several small breaths on my way up. Is this ill-advised? I know that it shouldn't affect whether or not I'd get the bends (since it's all the same initial gulp of oxygen), and even if the air is a little stale I can't imagine it hurting any worse than just continuing to hold my breath

First there are seveal actual places that teach freediving in Hawaii. SInce you are lucky to be where free-diving is actually taught, it's probably worth your time to take some classes from them.

Also, free-diving can result in the bends because it is both dealing with compressed air, and rapid ascents which are the magic ingredients to getting the bends.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/05/12/whale-evolution-bends.html

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2007/12/14-02.html

Whales have some adaptations but we are not diving mammals (even though we do retain the diving mammal reflex).

What is your personal record depth? Go ahead and brag, I am always amazed by free-divers.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

The negatives to a long gun is that its a bit unwieldy in holes, tracks a little slower, and it can take a bit more practice to load quick if you are short (still not much, im short). If you are going to be targeting a lot of holed-up species in small holes a long gun can be a pain to hunt with. But at the same time, a 90 or 100 would be just as annoying as a 120 in a hole but not offer the extra length. A gun has to be very small to work well in holes.

That said a 120 is where its at. Most people buy shorter guns thinking the longer ones are "too big" but you will quickly realize the largest enemy to landing big fish is the inability to get close enough. And a 20cm longer gun is actually a hell of a lot of reach. 20cm in the spear + 40cm in the shooting line + 20cm in the gun + 20cm more band stretch = 80cm longer range. And 120 is the middle of road on speargun size actually. The speardiver aluminum gun only goes up to 120, the carbon tube guns(I Have a Carbon 120) go up to 140, 160. As do Rob Allens. And when you start talking about 3-4-5 band wooden bluewater guns those things are even longer.

Breathing from your mask is actually a well known secret you re-discovered. Its a great technique to re capture the air you had to blow into your mask on the way down. And no it wont affect getting bent. Also freedivers only need to worry about the bends if they are doing some bonkers diving, like 100+ feet with long bottom time repeatedly.

A freediving class is expensive but very useful to absolutely dangerous. Ive never taken one myself but I know people from all walks of life who have and ive gotten the gist. The tips on proper diving form can go a long way if you havent learned them yourself (dont look down, chin in, breath from your mask) And the most important and useful aspect of the class is the rescue/safety portion (how to help a blackout victim etc). But at the same time some schools teach freediving techniques that dont mix well with spearfishing. The goal of a freediver is to push yourself as deep as possible in a safe semi-controlled environment (A pool or down a line). The goal of a spear fishermen is to work well within the limits of your ability to safely catch dinner.

For instance many tell you *never hyperventilate* and then teach you a very specific method of hyperventilation they call "breathing up". The idea being basically to hyperventilate in such a way as to maximize bottom time without overdoing it and allowing a blackout scenario. Its understood you will be practicing this technique in a "freediving" environment (close buddy watching 100%) so it works there. But if you take that idea into spearfishing you can be in trouble. In spearfishing the best-breath up is no breath-up. That way you can ensure your SWB warning is on its highest setting. Some classes explain the difference, some don't, some don't teach a breath up at all. So its kind of still up to you to be able to understand what you learn in context.

Ive only gone about 30m. But I can sit on the bottom at 15m for a minute or so.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My record is 50', at which point I panic and start heading to the surface like a big baby. But I'm also just starting out. I can hang out at 30' for about a minute without issues

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Aquila posted:

I've got an offer out on a used Scubapro mk25 reg, so that should have me covered for a long time if it works out.
Yes the Scubapro mk25 first stages are fantastic. They're piston regs but honestly I don't think cold water becomes a concern until you are doing ice diving and such. I've got two of them and they own.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Some video shot today.

https://vimeo.com/56841472

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Nice, I love the turtles. Was the first scene shot in a cave or just an overhang?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Aquila posted:

Nice, I love the turtles. Was the first scene shot in a cave or just an overhang?

Cave, I wish I had lights that was pure lowlight testing of the camera at that point..

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That is some awesome video!

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

QuarkJets posted:

That is some awesome video!

Problem is no online place will let me show it full frame :( Below is a screengrab from fullframe.

http://stealthwater.smugmug.com/photos/i-6G86BGR/0/O/i-6G86BGR.png

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

SlicerDicer posted:

Problem is no online place will let me show it full frame :( Below is a screengrab from fullframe.

http://stealthwater.smugmug.com/photos/i-6G86BGR/0/O/i-6G86BGR.png

Maybe get a dropbox and then post the private link to it here?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

A friend is trying to sell me his camera, so I took it for a test drive last week. I'm pretty new to this, but I took a couple of shots I like, and I figured you folks might be interested.

These are from Monterey, California.

Reef shot that turned out nice. I really like strawberry anemones. You can see a few goose barnacles too!

The bottom of this image is a bit too hot, but I love how the shadows make the crab's leg pop out of the image.

Lingcod

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Maybe get a dropbox and then post the private link to it here?

I shot 168gb of video that day :(

The small clip of the shark before transition on first part was 2.8gb...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73216722/5k.mov this is 5k video I took the other day.. you will see size vs time vs compression :(

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

macado posted:

Shorty just came out last week I think. It is definitely more suited for a goodman handle but it has a shorter run time. I think 2.5 hours (but only about 1.5-2 hours at max strength) from what I read. I'll probably pick a couple of those up and use them as my backup lights once I have some more cash.

There are some reviews of the light on cavediver.net forums. Seems likes a very good light.

I ordered longer one just because I wanted something with a longer runtime. There is a person who is doing a custom goodman handle for this and other handheld lights that I did a pre-purchase for.

http://www.indiegogo.com/gooddris

Just wanted to follow up on this. The DRIS light is awesome and I'm definitely grabbing one later this year. When my brother turned the light on in the crowded living room - everyone looked towards him like he just activated a lightsaber. :wookie:

Tried it in the pool - went well. The one thing I was worried after reading the complaints about the twist on/off being prone to user error. I've concluded that those complaints are voiced by retards.

Hope you're as impressed as I was!