Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Icon Of Sin posted:

I moved from there in Feb. One of my better decisions :)

I think the same for my decision :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

When travel opens up more I want to get my AOW somewhere in the Caribbean. I've heard Utila is a good place for this, very cheap, kind of the Koh Samui of the Americas. Any other recommendations?

I did rescue in Utila while my wife did what they call “fun dives” - basically non-cert dives. We were both experienced and she had no interest in a rescue cert, so I did my thing and she dove in the AM, but we always ended up meeting together for afternoon fun dives. It was all good, and Utila is definitely unique. 😀

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What was the reef like I’m Utila? And how was the island itself? I’ve heard...mixed reports.

I saw three seahorses together when we were “fun diving” after I finished one of the rescue tests. No pictures unfortunately since I didn’t have my camera then because it was a very dive. My wife and I went looking for them a couple days later but couldn’t find them.

Fun diving is a term I only heard there but was used for non course diving, it’s kinda cool. Reefs were good, mostly shallow, maxed at maybe 60 or 70 feet? It’s been a long time since I was there, so take all this with a grain of salt. Anyway, no wall diving there but a lot of varied coral. It was really nice and there were a lot of shallow reefs with life so a ton to see.

The island is a tougher explanation. We flew from Roatan instead of doing the mainland ferry, since it’s significantly faster to fly. But our dive gear came on the next puddle jumper since 6 people plus dive gear wasn’t doable. I still recommend flying - once you look at the ferry route and schedule , you’ll understand.

It’s a small island and has some cool stuff, but you are going to know for sure that you’re not in a big tourist area. There was a place that had stained glass everywhere that was a bar / restaurant - Google tells me it’s maybe a hotel now, but I’m. It entirely sure so I’m not linking to it because I don’t want to give bad advice.

Short answer: great diving, not a big tourist location, rent a house instead of a hotel / hostel as it’s all walkable and not expensive

E: the best food we had there was at a place called the Fu King Wok, if it’s still there

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Cool, this thread is back. I just bought a 5 mil wetsuit to dive the Blue Heron bridge a few days before Christmas and it was nice to not be cold. I was also surprised at the weight increase I needed to go from 3 to 5.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

That is no joke especially for a new suit. I hate the buoyancy swing but drat is it nice to not freeze your rear end off. How was the BHB? I have been seeing some awesome stuff showing up in some of the Facebook groups.

It’s good, but it depends on your history. I know it’s supposed to be one of the top shore dives in the world but... I’ve done Bonaire

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Trivia posted:

Yeah that's great. Traveling with full gear sucksssssss (but is ultimately worth it). I'd add your own computer (maybe a cheap Suunto?) to your list. Rashguard is great because you can use it anytime you're in the water, and it also reduces the amount of sunblock entering the water.

If you dive often and want to keep things light, a dive torch is GREAT. They're a bit expensive though (but then again, what isn't?).

Depends what Suunto. My wife and I both bought Cobras a decade ago and those are ridiculously conservative about deco limits. We ended up with nitrox certs partially because of how finicky the cobras are.

On the other hand, they’ve been incredibly reliable

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

If my Vyper Novo had customizable safety stop depths, it’d be a nearly perfect recreational computer. As it is, the safety stop is at 10ft, and I’d really like it to be at 25 so I’m not getting the poo poo kicked out of me in the waves. Most of the time I just do my stop at 25ft with everyone else, and then ignore the incessant beeping the rest of the way up.

The cobras go apeshit with beeping when you disconnect the tank after you’re done with the dive. That’s pretty funny actually.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

You made the right call... even though officially US flights can come as of now there seems to be a lot of drama going on based on the Dutch/KLM and that may change quickly. No-one really knows what the hell is going on, least of all the airlines.

Bonaire diving is so great and easy, it will all be here for you once things get back to normal :-).

Any Bonaire lovers or just underwater nature lovers, please take the time to read this and sign the petition/email the governments to reconsider building a container port right in the middle of the island: https://www.conservebonaire.org.
For anyone who has even been here this is the dive site The Cliff, one of the best IMO and it will be completely destroyed and probably restricted from diving if this is built.

Doing it - the cliff is a great dive site!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Hey guys, newcomer here!

I've had my first two pool dives in the open water course, and I'm planning a trip to the Maldives in May with a couple of dives included.

My first question is related to insurance - is DAN worth it if I plan on diving less than 10 times a year? Do normal insurance agencies offer scuba insurance?

My second question is related to the Maldives - have you guys ever dived there? What is the best area to go to?

Really excited about this, it was amazing breathing underwater for the first time :)

Get DAN and never look back. It’s cheap, you get a good magazine and likely never use it. But if you ever have to use it...

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I have no idea what mindfulness exercises are, but what Trivia said about breathing is right. Breathe in as fast as you want and slowly breathe out.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Trivia posted:

Thumbs up, duh.

I will be sure to do so next time I’m over 100’ 👍

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

lord1234 posted:

This is a bad idea. Are you seriously considering servicing a piece of life support equipment as a brand new diver? I can't even fathom this thought.

But seriously, you got some cheap Regs. And don't be surprised they are crap. Scuba is not cheap. Go buy some better regs. If you can't afford it scuba might not be for you.

This is 💯 accurate.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We’re about to go to Cozumel which is dumb given that we only dive in the Caribbean and at home but I do want a toadfish picture so gently caress it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

What is dumb about going to Cozumel?

It’s a cruise ship port. We usually don’t do that kind of thing but it’s an easy flight so here we go. I am looking forward to finding toadfish!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

A friend loves it there, we are firmly in the Bonaire shore diving crowd and struggling to go anywhere else. I have committed to looking for a live aboard but to be honest the prices are scaring me away.

The diving was really good, but concentrated near the Iberostsr resort. Lots of boats, lots of divers in the same reefs. Great visibility, very healthy reefs, we even found an octopus during day dives. Bonaire is still way better.

If you want another option, it’s expensive but awesome, check out Turks & Caicos and Aqua TCI. We’re friends with the owners, but be warned - they mostly dive west Caicos which is a serious haul from their dock.

Edit: I mentioned the octopus but overall the dives were more reef and macro stuff (nudibranch, fire worms, etc), smaller pelagic schools, and a few spotted eagle rays which were also awesome.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 11, 2021

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tiger Crazy posted:

Does anyone have recommendations in the Caribbean to get dive master certified that is cheap to live and cheap (relatively) for certification?

Utila. I did rescue there and it’s cheap. Good diving, food can be sketchy - the best place we found was the Fu King Wok but that was years ago so who knows.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

First proper dive since early 2018 yesterday. Wasn’t amazing but great to be back in the water. Forgotten how drat tiring diving can be though, was shattered last night.

Anyway the gear obsession rears it head again. What’s everyone’s favourite bag situation? I need one that has a dry section that I can put gear I’m not using. It’s annoying to have to wash everything because it was all in the same bag even if I didn’t use it.

This doesn’t need to be a flying bag, I assume I’ll get one for that when/if travel comes back.

You want a mesh bag with both backpack and shoulder straps. Most of those have a “dry” pocket but it’s really not that dry, if you care about whatever you’re putting in there use a ziplock too.

E: the point Trivia makes is right too. That bag should have a top opening. And a side zipper.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Trivia posted:

Mate just go down to Mexico and do it in warm water. You'll have a MUCH better time (all around), I promise.

This is right. All that disaster talk about dry suits to learn is, well, a disaster. Just take a trip to warm water and see if you like it before complicating things. Go to the ABC islands (I vote Aruba or Curaçao over Bonaire for learning, save Bonaire for later) or Barbados - somewhere warm and not challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tiger Crazy posted:

Belize is also a pretty quick flight and there are tons of diving opportunities down there. Plus it is pretty cheap.

The only problem with Belize is that you will want to do the hole. And that’s a great dive but I’ve posted here about that - you leave really early and there are people that just got OW certs on the boat lol.