Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Ropes4u posted:

Is a thigh pocket a bad idea? I am thinking about buying one to store my tablet, smb, and reel. I hate having things flopping around but am open to suggestions.

I love them. Ever since I got a Hollis Neotek which features 2 thigh pockets, all my friends bought one as well: http://www.hollis.com/neotek-semi-drysuit/
The only downside to it is that it's not a drysuit, really. You can't find a better wet suit than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Pupdive I love your posts.
Addendum: learning to do free diving before scuba diving helps a lot with the whole breathing and buoyancy concepts.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Cmas has a course for night diving. My school integrated it into the 2nd star course because it's mostly useful tips and tricks. There are also some different signals and you need to learn a few new ones (a big circle with your flashlight means ok, fist over flashlight means 50 bar left, etc). You can use some of the signals during day diving.

If the group is close you can see a lot of stuff, as usual it depends on how clear is the water.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Don't forget that in some places you can also turn off the lights and after a few seconds you can see bioluminescent plankton if you wave your arm (one of the few good reasons to dive in the northern Mediterranean Sea).
Sea horses and octopuses are also easier to see during the night.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

We all attach a small strobe to our tanks just for that: https://www.google.it/search?q=divi...XW4DA0Q_AUIBigB

We carry two lights (one with a goodman handle and a smaller one in your pocket if the main one fails) but as Pupdive says, if there are the right conditions you can dive without lights and in fact it owns, a lot. Plus, all computers have a backlight nowadays. When you dive in a group however either all have the lights on, or none does, otherwise your eyes can't get adjusted to darkness and you can't see poo poo.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Counterpoint: diving in cold lakes, during winter, with bad visibility. My friends try to convince me all the time that it's good training, but nope.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

YouTube stabilizes the videos for you (it asks before doing it). Just upload them there.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

A good harness with 4 ditchable pockets?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

That "problem" with the CO2 scrubber is the reason why I don't want to try rebreathers. I prefer to know without doubts (or with less doubts) what kind of air I'm breathing.

On that note, a couple of years ago a few divers, if I remember correctly four, died because of carbon monoxide poisoning here in Italy; a faulty air filter and the air intake of the compressor being to close to the boat's engine exhaust meant an high CO concentration. Even small concentrations are dangerous if there's a constant exposure, which is guaranteed when diving.
After that tragedy happened a lot of people have bought CO analyzers; I haven't, but even I always check where is the compressor and where is its air intake when I fill my tank.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Has anyone else enjoyed some good old fashioned free diving lately? I have and I admit that while SCUBA is fun and all, the freedom that you get when you dive without all that equipment is refreshing.
Without trying to push, I've reached 20 meters of depth in the sea and almost 30 in the pool. I'm finding myself often excercising my lungs even while I'm in office!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

asur posted:

I've always wondered how you efficiently equalize while free diving. I've tried free diving while snorkeling and it seems like either I lose a ton of time equalizing or don't do it which seems like a terrible idea if you are able to reach 5+ meters.
Yes, you need to equalize efficiently.
You need to learn to equalize before you feel the pressure because you can't waste time for that. The frenzel maneuver is the best, even because the valsalva is potentially dangerous.
Efficient equalizing isn't just handy like when scuba diving, it becomes essential.

pupdive posted:

30m deep pool?
42m actually, but I don't get past 30
http://www.y-40.com/en/