Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

crowtribe posted:

Well, that's just dandy :c00l: .

That's actually my LDS as well. In fact, if you went on any Sunday club dives, boat dives or went to Bunbury to the MV Lena on the trip Tracy organised between January and ~April, then you most likely know my girlfriend and myself.

Tracy refreshed me earlier this year, and I did my AOW through them, with Gerard (?) instructing.

EDIT FOR CONTENT:

So, what's the deal with twin tanks? I've never seen anyone use them in my short experience, and I don't understand what the point of more air IS if you can't really go beyond NDLs anyway. I thought at first it was maybe for stage diving with different gases, but all the images I see of tech stage rigs appears to just be a single backmount and multiple slung bottles?

Educate me!

The doubles on their backs are usually trimix, and their main gas supply. Tec divers obviously ignore NDLs because they are doing decompression diving. The slung bottles are usually their decompression gas, usually 50% and 100% oxygen for their deco stops at whatever depths they do their stops at.

I'll let one of our resident tec divers go more in depth about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

To be honest you've kinda stumped me. I've been on quite a few tech boats and I don't think I've ever seen a someone planning on going into deco with a single tank. It's always rebreather (with bailout tanks) or doubles. You can buy steel tanks that hold enough gas to throw you into deco but you lose a lot of redundancy. Possibly they are planning on unclipping their stage and trying to fit through some real tight restriction that doubles are too big for. That happens but normally those people aren't planning on entering deco. Diving can be oddly regional at times so maybe some places out there doing deco with a single tank is more common.

Or maybe, one of their slung bottles or the one on their back is a "travel gas" because their bottom gas has so little 02 that they can't switch to it until they are close to the deepest point of their dive. That's getting pretty far into "gently caress it, I'm going deep" territory though. Even in those cases the bottom gas is normally in doubles because you burn through it pretty quick if you are at 9 atmospheres of pressure. (Hell even at 9 atm most people won't plan on using a travel gas, they just make sure to start sinking pretty quick because you're going to want a mix with like 15-18% 02 in it)

Couldn't this also be because some dive boats don't allow doubles, so tec divers will just rock a big fat HP steel 130 or something for a deco dive to get around it?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Prince John posted:

Is it possible to scuba dive if you've got bad ears? I perforated both my eardrums when younger and find swimming to the bottom of a pool to be painful but I had heard that it's different with scuba diving because you don't hold your breath. Is there any truth to that or am I forever condemned to snorkelling?

Maybe. Possibly. You never hold your breath while diving, but you still have to equalize pressure and that is an issue for people with your condition. Next time you go to your general doctor, ask him about it. If you are REALLY curious you've got two options. 1) Go to a dive shop and ask for discover scuba class. It should be like 20-30 bucks and it puts you in a pool with a divemaster and you get to play with scuba gear. It should give you an indication if you can clear your ears or not. 2) After the discover class, if it is an issue, go see a dedicated ear nose throat doctor, preferably one who specializes in dive medicine. You can contact DAN (super awesome international scuba medical group) for a list of dive doctors in your area here http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/network/physician. I've seen some people walk out of an ENT with the go ahead to dive, i've seen some get sinus surgery so they can dive.

People with ear issues vary so much there is no concrete answer any one of us can give you except "go to a doctor".

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Aquila posted:

Oh god, leaving tomorrow for the diving in the Maldives. I can barely handle how excited I am.

I expect a huge trip report when you get back sir :colbert: Have fun!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Any NAUI divers on here know details about PADI DM's assisting on NAUI courses?

They'd need to do the paperwork to be a naui dm prior to the course. I don't think they have to do the whole naui DM course, but you can't cross DM without having both DM (naui/PADI) licenses.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Really? The NAUI instructor here said NAUI allows PADI DM's as assistants, but not the other way round?

I'm thinking of crossing over anyway to do the IDC with NAUI instead of PADI. From what I've seen it's more my kind of agency.

After looking into it naui allows DMS from other agencies, but its not reciprocated. You can't be a naui Dm assisting for a PADI class. Who knew

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Luceo posted:

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon in the Caribbean and are wondering where we would find the best combination of diving and amenities. We're just normal open water divers, nothing fancy, but would like to get a lot of diving in while still in a place that's also fun on land.

Cozumel is definitely all of those things

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

crowtribe posted:

My girlfriend wants to head to Thailand (Patong Beach in particular) to get some dental work done and between the first and second appointments we're thinking of heading off for a minimum 4 day liveaboard.

Does anyone have any experience with liveaboards in the Similan islands region, or operating from Thailand (preferably the Phuket area)?

Alternatively, where's the best place in Thailand to dive? We were originally certified in Koh Phi Phi Don a few years back so obviously somewhere different would be best.

I'd be very careful with diving between dental work. I don't know the specific dental work obviously, so this may be way offbase, but if it involves drilling/any sort of serious work, diving may not be the safest thing to do. I would strongly recommend asking a doctor/dentist before you plan a liveaboard trip between medical procedures.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Gindack posted:

What length do you recommend for a SMB, 4' good or should I get a longer one?

It depends on the conditions you'll be diving in. Lake diving with not a lot of surface swells? Anything will do. Ocean diving where a plane may have to look for it? the biggest/brightest one you can get your hands on.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Stupid rear end diver kills himself and his uncertified 15 year old son. God damnit this pisses me off

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/hernando-county-authorities-searching-wildlife-refuge-for-missing-divers/2158541

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

lemonsaresour posted:

I bought a used Marius reg set from my dive shop a few months ago and used it for the first time today. Everything was working smoothly on the surface in the boat, but when I got down to about 15 feet it started making this really awful squeaking/squealing noise with every inhale. It wasn't difficult to pull through and it didn't stop me from completing my dive, but it got really loving annoying by the 30 minute mark. I've had a squeak now and then with the rented regs but it usually sorts itself out. This just never stopped until I got to the surface. I'm going to bring it to my dive shop as soon as I'm back in town, but does anyone know what this could be?

When my life support system starts to make noises underwater, its usually a pretty clear signal to thumb the dive there. Its not like its an important part of your safety or anything. The reg definitely needs to be serviced by a professional, and you are lucky it didn't get worse and effect your dive.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Regarding that cave story, isn't oxygen toxic at the depths they reached? The article said they were using compressed air. And the air consumption for an inexperienced diver, in a claustrophobic environment with dim light at 80 meters must be crazy. At 500 ml per breath x 9atm pressure x +100% consumption due to stress x 20 breaths per minute...

That was so stupid holy poo poo. Shouldn't a certified diver know these things?

Yes. Anyone with a brainstem should know these things. If the dude just went solo? Whatever, no big loss. But he did this with an innocent kid. gently caress that guy

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

. Some computers have independent battery compartments so that if they flood the rest remains OK but I think those are usually the higher end big computers.

Tell that to my 150$ (3 years ago) mares m2 that I still teach with :colbert:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bangkero posted:

For $80 I'd try it out.

I wouldn't try a gopro knock off. I haven't heard anything but poor reviews of them. A buddy bought one for his rock crawler and he shook the thing loose by engine vibrations alone. I really think gopros, while not having the specific features you may want, really are the best in that category and this falls under the old saying "buy cheap buy twice".

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Seriously read all the posts before posting. We've all agreed that a GoPro is the best option but Grover does not want to drop cash on it. Give him an option in the ~100 price range. We've already discussed housings and adventure cameras.

Have you had any experience with any gopro knockoffs? Because I have. I'll say it again, they aren't worth the money. They aren't, " less expensive than a gopro but good", they are "bad products 90% of the time". Anyone Ive ever seen buying one for extreme sports has eventually bought a gopro. I'm just sharing this experience and trying to save a diver some cash in the long run.

This hobby is crazy expensive as is, trips are expensive, and were arguing over 200 bucks for a camera. Jesus.

Instead of a knockoff get an older generation gopro that will still be better than the knockoff. That's my recommendation in the 100 dollar range.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

You know it's possible to disagree and or ignore someone's advice right? I gave mine and my reasoning. Pretty simple right their chief. I'm not going to further poo poo the thread up proving you wrong.

In other news, I had a drysuit failure today. Buddies fins clipped my wrist seal and knicked it. They were old anyways but they blew at 70 feet and I had a partial flood. 52 degree water. Woof. I needed zip seals anyways.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bangkero posted:

You're way past making GBS threads up the thread since you suck at reading comprehension. We are in agreement with each other but your advice is irrelevant to what was asked and already addressed. Read. Pretty simple right there chief.

You should probably stop riding your dive buddy's rear end if he was close enough to kick you.

Ah yes, next time I finish teaching a specialty class in 4 foot visibility with students in drysuits I'll make sure to stay out of visual range of them! Thanks for the teaching insight, I'm sure it comes from loads of experience.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

Even with primarily tropic diving, a 3mm shorty wasn't enough for us. If you're looking for what to upgrade, I'd say a full length wetsuit, but I don't know your dive temps.

Hes in austin, so a wide variety of temps. 60-90 depending on time of year. If your local diving a lot tanks are worth it. Other than that dive a lot and get as much experience as possible.

Oh, a primary dive light is probably next on your list. Miflex hoses are awesome, especially the high pressure hose. Definitely worth it IMO.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Posting this again:

A friend of mine really wants to dive North Carolina this summer and do some of the wrecks.

It sounds like a lot of fun, but I want to make sure I'm prepared. I have my SSI OW cert but only 8 dives to date. I'll do a few more in Monterrey in the next month (assuming it's not too cold).

It looks like the fun dives in NC are all below 100ft, but that there are a few around 60ft. Im content to stick with the shallower stuff, but Im sure my friend will want to do the U-boat. I don't think she has anything more than an OW cert, but has done a lot more diving than me.

Am I going to be able to do anything exciting in NC or should I shell out for a wreck diving course. Or at least just do a bunch more dives before taking the trip?

Are you comfortable going to 100 feet in current, with limited visibility diving a wreck with your dive experience? I would spend your time and effort getting more comfortable in the water, especially some deep experience. As for specific dive sites there, i have no idea.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

I see, so my guess is that it's probably more for no deco time.

Its literally the same as a regular non integrated dive computer in how it operates. When you use x blend of nitrox, you tell the computer x percentage and it uses that algorithm to calculate your bottom time. The same reason you use a computer versus tables, you have on the fly dive computation of your nitrogen levels based on depth that give you more accurate (and more) bottom time/surface interval information.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

One last question about integrated computers, does the gas level monitoring affect anything other than the amount of gas left in your tank? If you program your computer for an air dive, and it has it's own algorithms or whatever to calculate bottom time\no deco time, does the amount of air you have\used get thrown into that equation? If the only thing I gain from having an integrated computer is gas level monitoring, I think I can skip that for now until I get more heavily invested into nitrox etc, type dives, since that info will be tracked on something attached to the reg anyways.

No. The computer doesn't know any physiological factors of your body to take into consideration the amount of air consumed. It would be cool if it could, but your weight/height/hydration/sex/sobriety/anxiousness ALL play factors (to name but a few). Every body is different. All the air integration does is digitally read the pressure of your tank.

You could put andre they giant and bridget the midget with galileos and they'd get the same deco time for an identical dive profile.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 21, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

grover posted:

Ended up buying this; seems to work well enough, even underwater, though I haven't had it all that deep (too loving cold!). It gets really grainy in low-light conditions, but it self-adjusts so you can actually see that low-light stuff. The chargers seem like really poo poo quality, but it takes the same USB connector as my cell phones, so I've just been charging that way. Hopefully lasts through vacation.

I too hope my electronics last long enough for me to use them more than once.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Luceo posted:

I'm looking at purchasing my first regulator as I slowly assemble dive gear. Leisurepro has the Aqualung Titan, which I think I've settled on, for $225. Does anyone here dive this reg and have thoughts on it?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-udrtrn/aqua-lung-titan-regulator

Titans are solid. Ive spent a lot of time on them and Ive got no complaints.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

micron posted:

How many of ya's use an AIR2 or something similar? My pick list from Leisure Pro has a Zeagle Ranger and including an Alt air source on it isn't much more. I'm thinking of doing it and just be done with it.

Also I was looking for a Air Integrated Computer. I'd love a wireless but they are just too much for me now. Any opinions on these? Ones 150 USD more then the other but it looks to be a bit better.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aeraaicc/aeris-atmos-ai-air-integrated-computer-console-with-compass

And

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspacc/mares-puck-air-computer-console-with-compass

I love my zeagle ranger and zeagle octo-z. Eliminates a hose and makes you much more streamlined. It changes emergency procedures but its super easy to figure out. Love em.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

helpy posted:

How much of a pain in the butt is it to re-thread the emergency weight dump mechanism on those?

Not. The first time is a learning curve but I can get mine back together in a minute or two now. I'll demo for students all the time. As for the valve, sounds like a bad hose. Ive put over 1500 dives on my ranger and Ive yet to see it really start to wear outside some slight color fading. Its a tank and will outlive me. I love it to death

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

The Vikings posted:

Any recommendations on mask defog liquid? I apparently have a sweaty face or something cause my mask always fogs up while my buddy who's using the same stuff never gets foggy.

Not really. Like brushing your teeth, the mechanical process of cleaning is more important than the chemical. I use spit and all the divers I know do too. A good option is a spray bottle filled with 50% baby shampoo.

Tips. The mask lens needs to be dry or else it won't work. If you defog on the surface then spend time on the surface it will fog. It needs to be the last thing you do before you descend. Not defog and slap it on your head for 15 seconds. Defog, don the mask, and then signal for descent. A properly cleaned mask (when new) is needed.

Its not the defog liquid, its the procedure in which it's used that affects how well defog works.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

They're really beautiful, especially the second.

Do you burn the mask lenses with a lighter? I've done it with a mask after an expert diver recommended me that, and it worked.

Nah, i just spend an episode of tv scrubbing the piss out of the lenses with toothpaste. 5-10 minutes a side of mindless scrubbing and all my masks have been good to go. I have heard of the lighter trick but i'm way too much of a bitch to throw a lighter that close to the silicone side skirt i just paid 100 bucks for.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Tomato Soup posted:

Probably should do it again since it seems to work better if you do it multiple times.

Skin oil does build up on lenses over time so a thorough cleaning needs to be done periodically. I do mine with toothpaste probably once a year in the middle of the dive season

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

eviljelly posted:

Why do people do the rescue diver course, other than as a prerequisite for divemaster? I never understood that.

I'll answer this when I get off work more fully, but one answer is its the most fun course you can take.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

I've heard this (probably even in this thread) so that's one part. Also being trained in rescue techniques seems like a good idea, so why not? I figure it will also make me a better diver.

Then, long term, there's a hazy plan for us to move somewhere warm year round once we're financially set and then I have a cool job I can do if I go all the way with certs. No idea if that will actually happen or not, but again, why not do it?
I was gonna write a lot of stuff but decided not to until he says why you shouldn't take it. Its loving rescue diver. Why would you not want to be more trained and educated?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

eviljelly posted:

I've only ever dived in areas where DMs and instructors were a dime a dozen. I'm not sure why you guys want to jump down my throat about this, I was just asking a question because it really baffled me. If you're saying you dive regularly with no DM, no instructor and no one else who is better qualified to rescue a diver than a 'mere' rescue diver, I accept that this is technically possible but I thought it would be exceedingly rare.

I'm not trying to jump down your throat, but i do think its important to go diving with as highly trained divers possible. When i lived in austin, i had multiple dive sites i could visit and did not have a divemaster present. My scuba club would go out, and groups of certified (OW and AOW) would go lake diving all the time, with no divemaster present. Two of us were rescue certified and it made me much more comfortable in the water knowing i was trained enough to hopefully deal with an emergency situation correctly.

Vacation diving on boat charters? Yeah, theres a divemaster but he may not always be the closest person to an emergency. In cozumel we had 12 divers on the boat, one DM in the water, and a LOT of space between divers. If an emergency hit, I absolutely would have been closer to about half the group than him so i was also glad i was rescue trained (i was a DM at the time too).

I think for local divers who dive regularly at various lakes, rivers, quarries, ocean shores, etc there isn't alway a DM or a scheduled dive event so there aren't always professionals around. I had a few hundred dives before i was a DM and maybe 120ish of those were just me and other recreational divers diving by ourselves.

Another reason why i love the course is I became much more comfortable in the water. After the course i knew i was as self reliant as i could be recreationally, and that comfort level helped me enjoy the dive more and get better air consumption. That may not be the case for everyone, but it was for me.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Whites make solid suits. I'm a dui fanboy myself and love the everliving poo poo out of my cf200. Semidrys are great but they require a perfect fit to be effective, whereas I think drysuits are more comfortable.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

illrepute posted:

Hello friends, stumbled across this thread yesterday and have been slowly chewing my way through it. I got my PADI open water scuba certificate late last year (in the Puget Sound, which makes me feel pretty hardcore even though it's mostly unjustified) and I'd like to follow up by continuing to dive before I get rusty and die of an embolism from making an idiot mistake. My problem: I recently moved, and I don't know any divers in my area(Portland, Oregon). As I mentioned earlier I'm not eager to die of an idiot mistake and diving alone is like, wow, number one on that list. I didn't follow up immediately after getting my certification but I don't want to fall out of practice and to do that, I need more divers. Are there any nation-wide (I'm an American) scuba clubs for beginners that I might be able to find a local chapter for?

I'm eager to go scuba diving again relatively soon. The visibility on my first dive was pretty poor and the water was pretty cold (neoprene is Poseidon's gift to man), but even so I had a blast. I picked up a crab and it pinched me before scuttling off! Underwater, you guys!

Go to your local dive shops and tell them exactly that. Most shops have clubs that do monthly/weekly/whatever dives locally. You can always post here looking for dive buddies (long shot), or try scubaboard. I think they have a personal section to meet other local divers.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Snuba to me is more of a vacation thing to get snorkelers into scuba. Get a brief underwater experience to see what its like. Scuba is definitely much simpler and less hassle, especially as snuba is not financially feasible to 99% of divers to own and operate.

I still want to try it sometime though

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Its not the depth itself that does damage to the body, its the decompression/recompression from descending/ascending that does damage long term. Commercial divers who daily go into a chamber? They get their bodies wrecked and can't work after a decade or so. Sometimes to the point where they can't dive or even fly because the pressure change will do so much damage to them.

That's obviously the extreme danger, nothing even remotely close to recreational diving. For recreational divers, at this point scientifically, it's pretty safe to say scuba diving (within recreational limits) is not dangerous to the human body long term.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

I've decided to skip diving on this trip just to be safe. I live in Texas and sometimes it feels like I'm never going to block out time to actually use my certifications.

Theres lots and lots of good diving around Texas. What city do you live in?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

stratdax posted:

How many of you wear dry suits, and if so, what do you do when you need to pee. Holding it is very uncomfortable and prevents me from actually enjoying the dive, and dehydrating myself pre-dive is also very uncomfortable. Do any of you use P-valves?

I've got a Halcyon p-valve in my drysuit. I kind of love it, but it is sort of annoying at times. If you don't have the hose at the right length for your junk/mobility, it can tug and pull on your junk and that sucks. If i decide not to use it i tuck it down my other pants leg and it disappears. You get used to the catheter condoms fairly easily.

If you break out the suit a few times a year, its probably not worth it. If you dive heavily in cold water its loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Hey dive goons, its been a while. New job, new place (no water) so i've been out of the diving world for 18 months now. I'm visiting my folks up in boston and am gonna do a 2 tank dive next month for my first dives outside my apartment complex's pool (i was that guy, i loving miss diving) in 18 months. I'm renting a drysuit from them because gently caress 62 degree water. Anyone dove boston harbor before and have any info for me? I'm gonna ship most of my gear up and rent a suit/tanks for the dive. Its boston scuba, and the two sites are city of salisbury wreck and graves lighthouse.

Hell, I don't even know what wildlife is up there.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2015