Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've never dived, but I've noticed that a lot of popular overseas diving locations are in poorer countries. Since diving is an expensive hobby, are divers from overseas ever automatically seen by locals as 'ugly Americans'? For those who want to visit such countries to dive there, what are some tips for careful, conscientous behavior? I've heard of some divers bringing supplies for local schools, which is admirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Bangkero posted:

I've lived and dived in the Philippines and not at all are divers automatically seen as ugly americans. Most visiting divers are welcomed. Granted, there are rude people (not just from the US), but are still catered to with the same service as everyone else. In fact, North American divers are known to be better tippers than divers from elsewhere.

Some tips - pretty much the usual travel advice; the most important one is be respectful. For diving specifically, showing gratitude for the service provided is good. Gifts and supplies are not necessary, but I usually do that and the locals do appreciate it greatly. Sunglasses and ball caps for the boat crew, alcohol for my dive shop owner buddies, candy/chocolate, stuffed toys, and school supplies are some of the things I've brought.

Bishop said that this should be done in private:

Bishop posted:

If you want to make some sort of donation to a local school or something, I think it would be best to do it privately, maybe after leaving. People have a lot of pride even in the poorer areas. Unless they're literally starving they don't want you to come in acting superior, etc. Just my experience.

Is this the case in the Phillipines?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 12, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Trivia posted:

This is the scuba diving thread. :confused:

Oh, sorry, I got confused.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I'm not considering getting into diving, but out of curiosity and for the benefit of anyone who is: what suggestions would you give to anyone who's considering getting into diving? How much money should be saved beforehand, things to keep in mind when arranging travel and while actually traveling, etc.

A few more specific questions:

How expensive a hobby is it? What's the minimum level of income someone should have for the hobby to be even remotely feasible?

What should be kept in mind when traveling to and staying in a third-world country?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I'm impressed by all the traveling you guys do. Is traveling to third-world/developing countries risky or dangerous at all?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 4, 2012