Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007
Kawasakis! Maicos! PURSANG!

Following on from TANZENTURLE's photo post, here's a couple of the man himself, back from before my loving camera flooded:

...and a couple of favourite pictures from the same dive:

Our next training night-dive is this Thursday. Part of the training is, once descended, to have everyone turn off their torches and just float in total darkness for a couple of minutes. Sounds freaky as hell, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

pupdive posted:

Depending on the phase of the moon, and the visibility, it is entirely possible it will not be anywhere close to total darkness.

When teaching night diving, this always turns out to be the student's the favorite part of the dive afterwards. I have done entire dives w/o lights, with no problems getting and receiving hand signals, seeing marine life, and navigating just by the full moon.

Crazy, until what sort of depth can you usually see without torches in these conditions?

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

pupdive posted:

I love this picture. I wish I had shot it myself. I cannot really say what I love about it, but.

Thanks dude, it's my desktop That was just on a Canon Ixus130 with underwater housing, wish I still had it. That picture's from Bali. We might be used to Sydney conditions, but the temperature there was like bathwater, and the visibility seemed almost limitless.

Here's TANZENTURLE's footage of the Camp Cove dive: http://youtu.be/8peAUeUcK8Y

It was really cool to see the active nature of creatures that are usually much more docile, like the cuttlefish. 1:48 for cuttlefish dramatically changing its skin colour and pattern.

For more experienced night-divers: what kind of behavioral changes do you notice in sea life between day and night dives?

Clicktrack fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 27, 2012

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

TANZEN's been lauding the experience of peeing in his wetsuit for long enough, guess I'll finally join the club.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

TANZENTURTLE posted:

drat. Those are really stunning. I think that wrasse is begging to become my new wallpaper

Edited some footage together from another night dive a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQerPE1gJU

Turn off the lights for the full experience.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

TLG James posted:

Night Dives rule!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a light?

Took this photo tonight. Saw 3 octopus.

LED torches are great. They tend to be more expensive, but are smaller, chew up less power, need fewer batteries, are less fragile, and are much brighter than filament bulb lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

Is anyone else here qualified through Scuba Schools International?