Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008
Hello diving thread, I recently moved to the Washington DC / Northern Virginia area and am wondering if you have any local dive shops / locations to recommend. I am transplanting from the Caribbean and recently learned to dive dry in an attempt to expand my opportunities for diving in this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

So, go with The Dive Shop.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I will stop by there and chat with them.

Also soliciting any ideas for what other goon divers may use as an electronic log book, here is a short story about what I have been using.

I have talked to a handful of instructors who have confided that while whatever system they teach preaches to log your dives in general instructors are generally terrible at logging dives. For me, remembering to write stuff down in a logbook is kind of a pain and I like to track as much stuff as possible on computer so I looked into electronic log book software. Since I am primarily on a linux box I was precluded from using my dive computer's homemade software (Thanks Suunto!). I found Subsurface(Windows/Mac/Linux) earlier this year and was pretty pleased with it. I had neglected to buy the data transfer cable for my dive computer and finally picked one up last month and was going to start syncing my dives with my already recorded data. Prior to owning the data cable I would plop down next to my laptop and manually enter dive info about once a week; until last week when I had a startling revelation. I wanted to start tracking dives and synchronizing them between laptop and my shiny new tablet and started searching for apps to do that. After discovering the Subsurface mobile app isn't nearly as handy as the laptop program I expanded my search. I found Divemate USB and realized that with the help of an OTG cable I was able to plug the dive computer into my tablet and transfer my dives directly onto my tablet. The app itself is free but you have to pay them 4 dollars to unlock the ability to transfer data off the dive computer and onto your device. I think I am happy with this solution, but I won't know for sure until my next dive adventure when I can do a data download much sooner after finishing a dive while the memory about the dive is still fresh in my brain.

Also during my searching I found http://www.diveboard.com/ but the site seemed a bit off; the help link doesn't lead anywhere and their forums make no sense to me.

Haven't looked into any iOS solutions, but I am sure they exist.

What does everyone else use (or not use...)?

helpy
Jan 1, 2008
This just hit my inbox from DAN:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/?a=events&eventNo=1167

Demo event Lake Rawlings, VA 19-20 October

It looks like something I should do considering I am about 3 hours away, but I have no idea how these things work. I just bought my own drysuit and have yet to break it in; can I bring my own equipment to this and use it? Will I be encouraged/required to use the gear they are demoing? Should I be excited about attending one of these?

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

Dui dog days are loving fun. Don't bring your own suit, no need. Try all their stuff. Electric undergarments/weight stuff/dry gloves. I had Susan long(CEO) personally measure me for a drysuit while I was there. I own a dui cf200 and I go every year just to play with their new stuff. Its a good time.

If you want to punish yourself and dive something ridiculous, dive their vulcanized rubber public safety suit. That fucker is insane

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I am going, but I have a dilemma: I kind of want / need to bring my own (brand new, it showed up about a week ago) suit, I am headed out to Vancouver at the end of October for a liveaboard trip and I have yet to use my new suit so I have no idea what my weight needs to be, do a gear check dive to make sure everything works, etc. I really want to play with my new toy before I go to Canada with it and this DUI demo looks like a great place to get it wet. But it is probably bad form to show up with a White's drysuit at a DUI event right?

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Has anyone in this thread been to Utila, Honduras? My internet research today seems to tell me that the island's entire economy is based on scuba diving and divers coming there to stay. I am really interested in going down there semi-long term to finish my divemaster and instructor certifications, once I have enough logged dives (I don't log as much as I should). I figure a few weeks one summer would let me get it all done.

Also, kinda related question--if all the cards I have gotten come from NAUI, would a PADI shop accept those for prerequisite completion?

You are correct, Utila is all about scuba diving; there is pretty much fuckall else to do there except drink a lot of booze, get bit by the sand fleas and deep sea fishing I guess (but if I am on a boat, my plan is to be diving). I did my OW with the Utila Dive Center there about 4 years ago and looking back on my experience I can offer the following information: UDC is most definitely a PADI dive mill so they are built for processing a LOT of students through their system. I stayed at the Mango Inn and remember them being in some sort of arrangement with the UDC where students of the UDC were able to get a special rate and an included breakfast plus a free van ride to the dive center in the morning.

It did seem like there were a fair amount of transient backpacker types moving through central america who chose to stop in Utila and stay for a few months to move up the certification chain; so if that is similar to your plan there are probably worse places to act on it than Utila. That being said it is a Caribbean island so the hurricane season can really ruin your day(s). If you are planning to stay there for a longer term of 3-4 months you probably want and will be able to find an apartment or room for let in town once you got settled in.

There is no real airport of which to speak on the island (it is just a paved air strip with a hut) so flights are pretty expensive to get there. I remember the cheapest option to get there was to fly into La Ceiba and take the once (or maybe twice?) daily ferry across, but if the weather looks dodgy I would stay off the ferry unless you have a super strong stomach. There is one guy who runs a 'ferry' from Roatan but I don't recommend Capt Vern and his catamaran. Since you said you are from NC I will add this: there are a fair number of US expats who reside on the island and it receives regular consular support visits from the embassy in Tegucigalpa. I would dive Utila again, but there really is nothing else to do there aside from the diving and it is kind of a pain to get to.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SuitcasePimp posted:

FYI, Capt. Vern was murdered last year by some "passengers" on his ferry. I wouldn't let this sway anyone from going to Utila, it just highlights the fact that stuff does go down in these less developed places even though they are very awesome in so many ways. It's always a good idea to keep your wits about you but especially so when you can't just call 911 for medical or criminal emergencies.

oh holy crap; I had no idea. sucks to hear that news right after badmouthing his boat service. RIP skipper.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm contemplating signing up for a Chilly Willy dive. It'll be in January, in a quarry in Northern Virginia. I just got Dry Suit certified, so it'll be my first experience diving in cold water with a dry suit. The quarry itself is kinda crappy, but the cold-weather dives apparently make it so the visibility is 40 feet as opposed to 3 feet like normal. Yay!

Ho there Northern Virginia goon. I am assuming you are talking about The Dive Shop's Chilly Willy events. The quarry is kinda crappy as you say, but you will enjoy diving it dry moreso if you are a returning diver to the site. If you are looking for a dive buddy for the NoVa area I am always down to go exploring. Other quarry options that are ~2-3 hours from the Washington Metro area: Dutch Springs, PA; Guppy Gulch near Delta, PA; and Lake Rawlings, VA. I have some friends who will likely be putting together a Lake Rawlings trip in either January or February, if you want me to send you details let me know.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

In your (and other NoVa divers) opinion, what is the best quarry around here? I've heard that Dutch Springs and Lake Rawlings are the two best, but is one better than the other?

Here is a short list of my personal Pros and Cons for the four sites that I know of in about a 3 hour drive time from my apartment in Falls Church.

Lake Millbrook
Pros:
-It is relatively close compared to all the rest, only a 45 min drive for me.
-Platforms are in good condition
-Relatively cheap entry fee at 25 dollars
Cons:
-Not as much to 'see', they have maybe a plane and a bus and a space station thingy, but that is about it.
-No air fills on site which means you are schlepping tanks, but on the plus side you can trust the air you are bringing.

Guppy Gulch
Pros:
-Air fills on site, bring one tank (or rent from the site) and you can get fills for 8 dollars I think.
-Many more sunken objects to see: a bus, train, boats, etc. If other jerk divers haven't decided to practice with their new expensive dive knives then there are even lines for you to follow to get from one item to the next.
-Cheapest entry fee of the four, only 20 bucks gets you on site.
Cons:
-A bit farther out, 2.5 hour drive for me.
-Water is pretty cold, I went there in late Sep and we were hitting 6-7C at about 15m. You are probably going to want to dive dry here.

Lake Rawlings
Pros:
-Air fills on site, 17 dollars a day for unlimited fills.
-Many many many sunken objects to see.
-Water is pretty warm above the thermocline.
-Open year round (during their winter season you need to call them ahead of time and give them like 48 hours notice).
Cons:
-Higher entry fee - 30 dollars in winter, 27.50 in the summer.
-3 hour drive for me.
-It is a pretty popular dive site so if you are going on a weekend expect to deal with a lot of classes in the shallow areas, this is pretty true for ALL the dive sites though.

Dutch Springs
Notes:
-I haven't actually been to Dutch Springs, but google maps says it is about a 3.5 hour drive for me. I would check it out, but haven't found anyone who wants to make the drive with me.
-It is the most expensive at 37 dollars to enter.
-A friend told me they had some air quality issues in the past, but that isn't something I can speak to personally so you may want to do some homework before you use their air fills.
-They have cheap air fills at 6 dollars a tank.
-Their map shows a pretty large number of things to see underwater.

Overall, I would probably lean towards a trip to Guppy Gulch first before I went to Rawlings just because it is a little bit less driving time. Rawlings, Dutch Springs and Guppy Gulch all allow for camping which is something I would like to do in order to cut down on all the driving crammed into one day.

I am sure there are other dive sites in the area to explore which I haven't listed, I am always on the hunt for more. It seems to me most of the local shops in the area tend to recommend Millbrook because it is close and convenient and then Dutch Springs because they do a lot of marketing, but that is just my two cents.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008
Just got back from a weekend at Lake Rawlings, VA. Water was a balmy 7C at about 9m. The benefit was that it got me my diving fix so I don't sit around twitching wanting to get back in a body of water that isn't the pool though.

Oakland Martini posted:

After years as a grad student I've finally got some good money coming in, and I'm thinking of picking some stuff up (reg, octo, computer, bc). I'd love to hear some recommendations for solid, high-value items. The vast majority of my diving is tropical stuff, although I occasionally dive in cold water (California coast, Ontario lakes). Nothing technical though. Thanks once again for all of your help!

I have an Aqualung setup for travel that I quite like:
-Legend reg with ABS octo
-Suunto Cobra 3
-Zuma BCD (had it for a year and put about 150 dives on it before I moved out of the warm water regions of the Caribbean and it was awesome as a warm water travel BCD and I never had any issues with it, since you say you might dive some colder water it may not be a good option to look at)

I also have a ScubaPro MK25 reg with an Oceanic Pro plus2 computer that I also have no complaints with.

Most important part with regulators is to follow the servicing plans(at an authorized service center) or the warranty is going to go right out the window.

I have been looking at the new Hollis 2nd stage that is the servo assisted model. Has anyone had experience with servo regs? Is it just a gimmick, or will it actually be a noticeable difference between it and traditional valves?

Buying dive toys is addicting and I need to stop looking at them before I buy again.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

my zeagle ranger and zeagle octo-z.

How much of a pain in the butt is it to re-thread the emergency weight dump mechanism on those? The modular setup they use looks nice and all the d-rings look super duper handy, but the ripcord system they use looks like the biggest reason I wouldn't ever buy one personally. Anecdotally, I DM'd recently for a student who had bought a Ranger and the schrader valve low pressure connection on the standard power inflator (not octo integrated) had an issue where it would spin loose from the power inflator setup and cause some free flow from the low pressure inflator hose. I tried to tighten the LP connection down but all that did was force the o-ring to squeeze out the sides of the housing, since I was able to do this with no tools I assume he got a bad part. He did get a fair amount of practice with oral inflation of the BCD that day though.

Going with the octo integrated onto the power inflator is indeed a sweet way to cut down on hoses. My next step is to stick a wireless transmitter for your computer on your 1st stage and you are now down to 2 hoses coming off your regulator.

Electric Apathy posted:

I wanted to know about paths of progression, I have a PADI open water which I have had for over a decade with about 40 odd dives. I'm getting back into diving and want to progress to diving at (for now) max 40 meters and start doing wreck dives. What would the recommended courses I take be, and should I stay with PADI or go to some other organisation?

If you don't want to keep paying the PADI price every time you want to learn a new skill there are other organizations out there. SSI, SDI/TDI, NAUI, and NASE are recreational alternatives you should be able to find with relative ease in the US. GUE and UTD are things that exist too, but they are pretty strict on their training methods and gear selection; since they both come at diving from a cave oriented perspective it isn't necessarily a 'bad thing'. IANTD is another organization if you want to keep playing the acronym game.

I would lean towards recommending finding the instructor(s) you are comfortable with and a local dive shop you can build a rapport with as long as they are certified from a recognized training agency. Everyone follows the same laws of physics under water and all organizations draw off a mix of the Navy Dive Manual or the NOAA Dive Manual with their own levels of safety added in. But as Icon of Sin stated, if reaching the recreational max depth is your goal then getting some sort of Deep Diver instruction is your next step. If you are set on pushing the edge of the recreational envelope by consistently hitting 40m depths then you should seriously look into getting some tech diving instruction to help you learn to manage the elevated level of risk you are taking on.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

The Vikings posted:

Any recommendations on mask defog liquid? I apparently have a sweaty face or something cause my mask always fogs up while my buddy who's using the same stuff never gets foggy.

Spit, baby shampoo, or the bottle of defog goop all should work.

Also if you are doing a lot of moving around and raising your body temp up right before the dive (i.e. a surface swim on a nice warm day, or standing on the boat all geared up waiting for everyone else to enter) cooling off your face before putting the mask on will help. Seconding putting it on immediately prior to descent and making sure you thoroughly cleaned the new mask before you start diving with it.

Anyone else headed to Beneath the Sea at the Meadowlands later this month?

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Whites suits?

I dive a Whites Fusion Sport and I love it. I know the Essence is supposed to be a better fit for women, but I am not really qualified to tell you how well that works. The one problem I had when I first got my suit was a minor amount of leaking on the chest inflation valve, but I tightened it a bit and haven't had any issues since.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Has anyone here converted from PADI to NAUI?

Not your exact situation, but I am in the midst of crossover from PADI to SDI as a PADI DM into SDI's IDC/IEC and I have had no issues. From my understanding of crossovers at the professional level: each agency is going to have a short blurb about their training protocols and teaching methods and then an evaluation to make sure your skills are at the level they want before you begin the next iteration of training. One caveat to that is that once you are deemed a course director under PADI I believe you are ONLY allowed to teach PADI and nothing else. I don't know if other agencies have similar restrictions in place. Although since NAUI isn't a member of the RSTC they may have slightly different standards than everyone else. I do know that our shop also offers crossover certification from SDI to NAUI so I am guessing the two can't be terribly different.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Genewiz posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on earplugs to keep water out? My doc recommends I keep my left ear as dry possible due to a recent case of swimmers ear. I looked at this fancy ProEar2000 and wonder if it works well.

DAN seems to lean towards recommending against diving with vented earplugs. That article is framed for divers recovering from eardrum ruptures, which isn't your exact use case. They do mention a couple of vented earplug products and all of their evidence for effectiveness is anecdotal. Are you prone to getting swimmer's ear or just recovering from a recent infection and want to keep the ear dry until you are fully healed? The conservative option would be to delay diving until an ENT clears you. If you absolutely have to go diving and want to use the earplugs then take into consideration what diving with an earplug means (i.e. you are potentially creating another airspace that will need to manage).

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

The one weird trick OW Instructors hate!

I have seen and imitated the bag trick before, but never the dive buddy blows air up your sleeve one.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

asur posted:

Can anyone recommend a dive shop to learn at in NoVA? Looking around it seems like there's quite a few choices so figured I'd ask.

I am biased because I work with them; I recommend Coral Edge Adventures.

Also, any mid-atlantic east coast goons who might be interested in trying out the Prism CCR or Explorer SCR or participating in some seminars on tech diving there will be a two-day Hollis and TDI sponsored event at Blue Stone Dive Resort near Thomasville, NC on August 16,17. I will post a link to the website for registration once it goes live, but from my understanding $50 gets you a bunch of classes, an extra $40 gets you time on either the Explorer or Prism. The entry fee at Blue Stone is like $20 per day, so for ~$110 one could give a rebreather a try to see if you wanted to spend the serious money on training and equipment further down the road.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

Hi I did my first contained dive today - I guess life sucks when you have facial hair/a mustache + a mask?

I find that shaving the top edge of my mustache allows the mask to form a full seal around the base of my nose. edit: alternatively, your mask may not actually fit and you should try another one.

The website for the Try Rebreather in NC finally went live: http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi-dive-tour/

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

mishaq posted:

I'm actually seriously considering this just for the fun of trying a rebreather

What kind of thermal protection would I need for this? I read in the summer the surface water temps are warm but it gets cold fast in the deep

I never dive in the US

I am pretty sure they are depth limiting the try-rebreather course to like 40ft/12m so unless you are really sensitive to cold you would probably get by with just a 3/2 maybe a 5/4 if you don't like the cold; and you almost certainly wouldn't need hood or gloves. For reference: when I was there in June the water temps were in the high 70s/mid 20s down to ~25ft/7m. I assume by August the thermocline can only be deeper.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Ideal Paradigm posted:

how can you tell if they're specifically for diving?

Designed for diving is mainly going to be zipper placement (most neoprene suits 'designed' for diving are going to have the zipper on the back). But you could also consider reinforced seams and / or areas with extra padding. It is all going to boil down to your personal preference. No one can tell you your exact temperature comfort threshold, some people need to wear 8mm in a heated pool, others are part polar bear and will wear a 5mm in water in the 50s (low 10s in C). Most people will be able to give you a range of temperatures and suggested thermal layers to wear in those temperatures. Short answer: If your wetsuit is comfortable* and doesn't interfere with your equipment, or your ability to dive safely then wear it.

*Comfort being defined as adequate thermal protection (you aren't overheating during the dive, and more importantly you aren't shivering due to loss of core body temperature) AND the feel/fit of the wetsuit.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

In a similar vein, which brands of regulators are easiest for me to get the parts, tools, and specs required to service them myself?

Short answer: Servicing your own regulators is a "bad idea"(tm).

Long answer:

No current regulator manufacturers will allow sale of repair parts/kits to end users. If you do manage to track down an 'official' repair kit from somewhere know that manufacturers crack down pretty hard when they find retail outlets running a side gig of reselling parts kits, as in you no longer are an authorized retail partner, and legal action may be following. So that 'official' kit you found may be fraudulent and of substandard parts, you have no way of knowing. One explanation I can give you is this: it boils down to liability reasons entailing mainly the manufacturer doesn't want a non-certified technician servicing life support equipment.

I would also point out that regardless of your comfort / mechanical inclinations you don't actually want to be servicing your own life support equipment unless you ARE a certified technician who does service on the order of several tens if not hundreds of regulators a year. I can give you several reasons to support this point: 1) You aren't receiving technical bulletins from the manufacturer's engineers describing specific service points to watch out for and specific service steps to take in remediating problems. 2) Since you are only partially familiar with the workings of your regulator, you aren't versed in the finer points of what is and isn't important during servicing (is this crack cosmetic, or does it cause serious failure in my regulator?) 3) Since you are not an authorized technician and don't have access to the manufacturer specified repair parts you don't have any way of knowing what the tolerances are on the repair parts should you think about tracking down individual replacement parts(not all o-rings are created equal).

Is it basically a cartel? Yes.
Does it suck? Yes.
Can you avoid it? Nope.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for trying to save a little bit of money when buying your equipment, and buying used isn't the worst plan in the world. Is there any reason you are looking to buy your own equipment? What is your budget for buying a regulator? What is your annual use case for diving? For example, based on your stated desire to save money, unless you are diving more than about 3 trips a year (say less than 10 dives total per year) my honest recommendation would be to rent equipment.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

My motivation for working on my own equipment isn't really to save money.

I apologize for misinterpreting your post. I do think there are some people who are more than capable of servicing their own equipment, and you likely fall into that group. To expand a little bit on what I said about liability, the industry has made a decision regarding their liability to limit who has access to the supplies to work on equipment. They don't want a side business of shady individuals who don't know (or more likely don't care) what they are doing when servicing equipment for divers because if the result ends up in dead divers then the resulting lawsuits could potentially end up crippling the industry. One could also argue the manufacturers limit parts kits resale as a method to help protect revenue streams for retail partners (it helps keep local dive shops in business, you have to visit the LDS and spend money to get your equipment serviced). There are probably other factors or arguments to be made as to why the parts kits are protected and a lot of words can be typed debating the weird things the dive industry does, but the current state still stands: unless you are an authorized repair center, you don't have access to the parts, and you are really rolling the dice if you are thinking otherwise.

All that being said, I wholeheartedly endorse learning about the equipment you are trusting your life to. The dive training agencies (PADI SSI TDI/SDI NAUI for example) have recognized this as something they can monetize and there are classes for equipment specialists (mainly your reg and hoses, but BCDs are generally discussed as well) and visual inspection procedures (hello there tank o-ring failure).

If you more prefer a more autodidactic approach, I would direct you to this book.

Jimmy James posted:

I've had some bad luck with rental equipment too. I've had leaking and free flowing regulators. I've had hose leaks. I've had a tank o-ring failure.

Your criticism of poorly maintained rental equipment is a valid one, and as an introduction to diving (with less than 20 dives) your initial equipment experience isn't doing you (or the industry) any favors when it comes to retaining you as a diver. Were your dives all with the same operator? If the answer is yes I implore you to seek out a different dive operator for future excursions. It sounds like the operator you had been going with was cheaping out on you.

Jimmy James posted:

I feel like my regulator breathing performance could be better.

Regulator performance: This is going to be the difference between a lower end (generally cheaper, and as a result generally what is in a rental line; usually why divers will end up buying their own regulator) and a high end (generally more expensive) regulator. This will also be the difference between regulator design from the 90s and improved designs from recent years. In general, pretty much all (low and high end) modern regulators have similar performance to a given depth, I think it is about 60 ft / 18 m. Deeper diving is where the regulator design has the greatest impact and the high end regulators start to prove their worth.

Jimmy James posted:

a used regulator set-up (1st, 2nd, octo, and maybe gauges) in the 300-400 dollar range.

Have you priced used at a local dive shop? I know not all dive shops are created equal, but there may be a LDS looking to rotate regulators out of their pool training or rental line and you might be able to get a deal. For new you are almost certainly running into MAP. If you buy from CL or anywhere other than a dive shop you are almost certainly going to have to take the unit in for servicing which will probably be 100 dollars minimum plus the cost of any parts needing to be replaced. You could jump onto scubaboard and look at their offerings, but again you would likely have to take the unit in for service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

StopShootingMe posted:

HOG will sell the service kits for their regs provided you complete the HOG servicing course (a TDI course) at one of their distributors. I haven't heard anything bad about HOG gear, it's cheap and apparently works very well. Looks like a knock off of Apeks gear to me, but gets good reports.

I will admit that I did not think much past Aqualung/Apeks, AUP, and ScubaPro as far as manufacturers are concerned. So I stand corrected in terms of the ability to obtain parts. However:

HOG website posted:

EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

I would still really caution a new diver against disassembling their equipment, regardless of prior technical ability. Another barrier to entry which I completely forgot to mention is the tools needed to make sure your parts are within spec can be a pretty sizeable investment by themselves (pressure guages, wrenches, sonic bath, inline pressure adjustment tools, etc).

Occams taser posted:

Do dive shops regularly special order suits? or is what they carry what they sell?

Depends on the dive shop. Most dive shops should be willing to special order you a specific size for a brand they carry if they really want your business. I would definitely recommend trying on at least 2 or 3 different brands of wetsuits, even within brands different lines will have different fits. And if you are talking several hours of water time you definitely want a wetsuit which fits (it should be pretty snug and conform to your body shape). It is possible to get a wetsuit custom made to fit to your body measurements, but they are going to run a little bit more than something off the rack. Anecdote for the custom wetsuit: http://wetwear.com/ sells them and I have a couple of dive buddies who weren't able to find sizes which fit them from other vendors and are happy with their custom suits.

Regarding your camera question, if you are primarily looking for a still photography solution keep in mind GoPro is designed as a video camera which happens to be able to take still images. Underwater the wide angle lens isn't going to be very helpful for your use case. As far as action cameras which meet your budget: the SJ4000 gets good reviews, and the Intova is designed by an engineer from the original GoPro team, they both clock in at well under 300. If you were willing to stretch your budget a little bit you could spring for this: rated to 15m, amazon loves it. Something with a macro option and a strobe is going to be key to obtaining any sort of still images underwater.

helpy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 21, 2014