Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Crunkjuice posted:

So koh tao, what are the chances of being able to Dm over there for a while without going through one of those factory programs to become an instructor?

Pretty good if you're not an idiot. There are tons of DM's there but not very many great DM's. It's not uncommon to have freelance DM's with gigs at five or so places. Bonus points if you're a competent videographer, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Frogmanv2 posted:

Just booked a dive at the Navy Pier in Exmouth, the day after we are swimming with the whale sharks. Super Excite Mode ENGAGE

Nice. Which company are you checking out the whale sharks with?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Ah nuts, A friend of mine works for another company. I was hoping you could pass on a message about her pixie ears for me.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Tomberforce posted:

The dive shop I'm doing my DM with owns Exmouth Diving centre who also do whaleshark tours, so I know a few of the Exmouth crew.

If you meet Shep - can't miss her, she looks like a pixie - please pass on something like "Finch's ears are still bigger!" It might blow her mind to hear that losing a bet has followed her across continents and hemispheres...

MA-Horus posted:

That's what a friend of mine does, and she's an OUTSTANDING DM. I know she DMs with New Way and Big Blue.

What's her name?

There are a lot of great freelance DM's but the long term outstanding guys get snaffled up for full time gigs fairly quickly.

Also, check out the South East Asia thread for a video of Songkran on Koh Tao...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

MA-Horus posted:

Meghan. Little Aussie chick that I swear was born with a regulator.

I've known Meghan for years. She's cool. A little quirky but you're right - she is a brilliant DM.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Crunkjuice posted:

Dude mentioning cotton mouth reminded me about a question for you tec divers. Do you guys bring snacks and poo poo for long deco's? My old instructor would use to bring paperback books (just tear off the page when you're finished with it), capri suns/apple slices for his 60+ minute decos. I know that underwater/speaker unit for ipods is popular to watch movies, but i'm curious how many people you've seen actually bring food down.

I don't take food but I have been known to take a Camelback bungeed to my tank(s) - even keeping to NDL's in a single tank of air I get mad cottonmouth. It works well. I've seen other people do the same. I've never seen food taken down but I don't really dive in environments where people would do that, though I have heard about it.

Most guys I know doing deco just do sudoku or some poo poo.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Tomberforce posted:

Don't even think about tech or solo diving till you've got a heap of recreational experience! No harm reading as much as you want about post open water dive theory though. I would recommend getting a hold of the PADI encyclopaedia, it's a pretty good book and is a very useful reference for every recreational diver :)

I may be basing this upon my own experience too much (my first dive of TDI Intro to Tech was dive 26), but I don't entirely agree with needing a bunch of recreational experience before considering tech diving. The serious tech stuff, sure, but I thoroughly recommend something like TDI Intro to Tech to anybody who has the minimum dives (25), has a rescue diver qualification (although it's not required), and is comfortable/confident in the water. Compared to a PADI or SSI open water or advanced open water diver, it changes the way people dive - people plan differently, behave differently underwater, and make different equipment choices. I think it's a great course to do early on and to use some of the skills recreationally.

Intro to Tech is basically just an introduction to the equipment (twin tanks, long hoses, lift bags, reels, whatever) and mindset (dive planning, self sufficiency, equipment management, problem solving, and so on) that other TDI courses build on, but the course in itself teaches divers a great deal. The more serious TDI courses have much more stringent prerequisites, but I think most recreational divers - so long as they are relatively comfortable in the water - could learn a great deal from an introductory tech course, even if they don't go any further down the tech route.

I haven't done any tech diving beyond intro (and sidemount, I guess), but continue to use many of the skills and equipment recreationally.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 25, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I have to get Hollis regs serviced. One DC1 first stage and two 212 second stages.

$135 labour plus parts ($60 per service kit x 3) = $315.

Stupid Australia :argh:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Tomberforce posted:

Off on a dive trip to Nusa Lembongan in Bali tomorrow. Can't wait. Anyone dived there or elsewhere in Indonesia?

Hey, nice. I'm on Gili T and did my first dive in Indonesia today at "Turtle Heaven." They weren't lying - 7 turtles in one dive.

Report back with Nusa Lembongan details; I'm heading there in a week or thereabouts.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
The Geo 2.0 is a great computer but it's very liberal compared to the Suunto gear. A friend and I took a day off, then did the same two dives one day and she went into deco and I had 40+ minutes remaining. I was using my Geo 2.0, she was using a Zoop. The Geo 2.0 has an adjustable conservatism factor, but I haven't bothered to play around with it to get it in line with the Suuntos that most people I dive with use.

With regards to Koh Tao and Big Blue, Suunto is definitely the most popular brand there.

The M1 is an excellent mask. Thoroughly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Genewiz posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on earplugs to keep water out? My doc recommends I keep my left ear as dry possible due to a recent case of swimmers ear. I looked at this fancy ProEar2000 and wonder if it works well.

I use a ProEar2000 mask - it helps a lot with equalisation problems but it also does keep the ears dry. They are a little fragile though, you gotta look after 'em.